[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People hate /mu/ because apparently we just meme around can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: 1463784203945.jpg (36 KB, 345x454) Image search: [Google]
1463784203945.jpg
36 KB, 345x454
People hate /mu/ because apparently we just meme around can't discuss music properly but how the hell are we supposed to discuss music anyway? If you really think about it, it's just sounds that either sound good to you, personally, or not. What's there to talk about? I guess we can just broingly describe the sounds to each other but that doesn't really lead us anywhere.
>>
hence the reason people grow out of /mu/ so quickly
Once you have your last.fm/rym/what.cd account /mu/ becomes blasé
That's why the board is perpetually inhabited by people who haven't been here more than 2-3 years
>>
File: ITCOTCK.jpg (25 KB, 550x475) Image search: [Google]
ITCOTCK.jpg
25 KB, 550x475
>>65340811
Quit being a faggot, OP. Theres plenty of room for discussion between the extremes of memeing and circle jerking with other fanboys, and you know it.

Good discussion is almost completely non existent on /mu/ now, and it always has been predominately memeing and fucking around, but there used to be a fair amount of quality music discussion: threads about the direction an artists work had / is / will take and which was preferred and why, reccs based on similar works, sharing of fun anecdotes, trivia and pics, and discussions of new artists (almost totally lacking in neo /mu/, where 95% of threads are the same artists)

Sharethreads used to be an excellent source of discussion as well, but mediafire dying and OP not being able to bump his own thread (I really miss when someone would post shares of stuff that had nothing in common except anon loved them, got turned on to lots of cool things through those). genre specific sharethreads were cool too, I remember a thrash sharethread that lasted like 3 days full of great stuff and discussion with almost no faggotry.

Almost every thread I've tried start for legit discussion in the last year has died a quick death (there one bound for page 15 right now with like 1 reply, actually) I don't even no why I still bother here, desu
>>
File: 1464821190449.jpg (560 KB, 1600x1143) Image search: [Google]
1464821190449.jpg
560 KB, 1600x1143
>>65340811
You hit the nail on the head as to why cancer like you that cant play any instrument or understand music theory/music history shouldn't be allowed on here and stick to top 40
>>
>>65341168
suck my cock
>>
/mu/ is overrun by le epic memes and the same fucking threads day after day. That's not /mu/'s fault, that's just how most boards of 4chan go. Entertainment reigns supreme.
There's innumerable ways to talk about music, and just because your mind can't wrap around that idea doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
>What's there to talk about?
If you're saying this, you haven't heard enough music.

Since this is a serious reply about music discussion, the thread ends now.
>>
File: 1435606509362.png (20 KB, 538x396) Image search: [Google]
1435606509362.png
20 KB, 538x396
>>65341208
>le music theory meme

Epic!
>>
>>65341654
>>
>>65341654
Oh look, another fling underage faggot that thinks using his shitty Reddit irony will dismiss him being an ignorant clueless fuck.

>Hurr durr I knkw more about music than top 40s because I listen to stuff critics tell me ks weird and eclectic and kt sounds weird so I must be received xD
>>
>>65341168
>reccs based on similar works, sharing of fun anecdotes, trivia and pics, and discussions of new artists

Recomendations can be helpful, but sharing anecdotes and trivia isn't really strictly about the music itself. Is that the closest we can ever get?

>There's innumerable ways to talk about music
Like what?
>>
File: Currents.jpg (200 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
Currents.jpg
200 KB, 720x720
the reason why /mu/ is shit is because no one ever talks about progressing music or talk about elements that are going to revolutionize any particular genre. Everyone just repeats the same shit that everyone else says. they just judge music and it's just a fucking mess.

/mu/ is like going to garage sales - most of what you see is shit, but there's some pretty cool shit that appeals to you every once in a while.
>>
>>65341654
Entitled millennial detected
>>
>>65341020
Those sites are for autists
>>
>>65342140
way better than this fucking board though newfag
>>
>>65341168
/metal/ still has good discussion sometimes
>>
>>65342512
it does until people start fighting
>>
>>65342021

This.
>>
File: animal051.jpg (9 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
animal051.jpg
9 KB, 300x297
>>65341947
no, strictly speaking it isn't, but it is part of music discussion, and often helps yu understand the artist and subsequently their art better.

If all music discussion is to you is stale theory "Oh the way that A minor contralto during the appregrio segued into D major blah blah blah" thats fine, but thats butthat isn't one of the innumerable ways I prefer to discuss it. I'd much rather have a discussion like "And holy shit when those drums kick in it's like HNNNGGGHH'

Having a discussion about how a piece of music makes you feel isn't really about the music at all, either but it sometimes can lead to discovering new works that you never would have listened to before, or new ways to hear the same music. Like listen to Coil's version of Tainted Love - same lyrics as the original, just done slower but still pretty faithful, but as soon as you read that it was the first song recorded for AIDS charities and you are thinking about AIDS when you listen to it, it changes the song completely.

Music can not exist independent of everything else, so it's pretty academic (by which I mean 'useless') to try and discuss it as if it exists in a vacuum

>>65341209
It's common knowledge there's quite a few websites out there where you can actually physically hook up with other guys for sex, why don't you go try one of those. I'm not into gay stuff
>>
>>65340811
people hate /mu/ because it's full of edgy teenagers who think they are too cool to listen to rock and think sucking nigger cock makes them patrician
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.