[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will sharing obscure pieces of music with people that would otherwise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: 1450242105561.jpg (96 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450242105561.jpg
96 KB, 500x500
Will sharing obscure pieces of music with people that would otherwise scarcely discover said pieces make said people like me?

I ask because I've a wealth of obscure finds that through a maternal like possession I've neglected to share with anyone.

Further, why do you, reader, share music with others? I don't mind sharing my favorite films with others, but, music being my foremost passion, I'm much more reticent to share anything obscure, particularly if it's music that I like.
>>
It depends on the people you share said pieces and what kind of music it is. Every single person in the world have their own different opinions and views on it, and every kind of music makes itself in it's own way unique. If you really want to share said pieces to people then do it. If you don't want to, then don't.

I like to share my own list of obscure artists and songs to my friends because I'm always highly interested in whatever opinion they have about it. Their opinions and perspectives are always highly interesting to me and gives me an understanding of how others may view it. It always gets me very enthousiastic when me and one of my friends share the same opinion and view on a certain artist/song. I've managed to get some of my friends to take interest into my strange tastes because of it.
>>
Your situation is kinda weird, it's not like you're losing it once you share it.
I hate to be called "hipster" or "alternative" for listening "obscure" music that is't hipster or alternative anyway.
>>
>>65328568
>I like to share my own list of obscure artists and songs to my friends because I'm always highly interested in whatever opinion they have about it
I tend to forget that others have opinions of their own and aren't necessarily bound to mine. I suppose I often forget that, somehow.

That's an interesting motive, though. Are there any recent shares that they particularly enjoyed?

>>65328628
I've been called "hipster" a few times. The word has no meaning.
>>
File: 0000059149_10.jpg (165 KB, 480x489) Image search: [Google]
0000059149_10.jpg
165 KB, 480x489
>>65328742
Well, one example in particular is from a genre called "Breakcore". I've become a big fan of a breakcore artist called "Shitmat", it had become my guilty pleasure for quite a while. I've shared a couple of tracks to my friends and they find it to be incredibly strange. Although I was quite surprised to hear that there were some tracks that they in fact really enjoyed. Even if the genre wasn't really their cup of tea.

One of my friends told me that she wasn't impressed by the tracks, and that she rather listened to something else. Of course, it made me a little dissapointed, but I respected her opinion and views of the DJ. Until one day she came back to me telling me she took back everything she said about it and that she was incredibly hooked to the DJ's music. As enthousiastic as we were me and friend began discussing about our passion for the DJ's music and we couldn't stop. Some of our friends looked at us like we were weirdos, but that didn't stop us from our interest in the music.
>>
>>65328119
you could've just shared it without having to ask y'know
>>
i thought you killed yourself
>>
I purposely don't share or talk about obscure artists I like because I don't need other people's approval to enjoy things.
>>
Go to the sharethread and post dude. I wanna hear this shit.
>>
>>65328119
>Will sharing obscure pieces of music with people that would otherwise scarcely discover said pieces make said people like me?
If they're into music, yes. Huge majority doesn't give two shits.
>Further, why do you, reader, share music with others?
Why not? If I like something I want to share it with someone else, especially if I know that they might experience a similar emotional response to a piece as me.
>I don't mind sharing my favorite films with others, but, music being my foremost passion, I'm much more reticent to share anything obscure, particularly if it's music that I like.
That is because you're young and autistic unty. Once you realize that there is so much more to life than just listening to obscure music.
>>
>>65328119

My social skills are a bit off and its the easiest way to develop a bond with people
>>
>>65329099
I went through a brief breakcore phase. Honestly I'm not entirely surprised that some might enjoy it, although I've never listened to "Shitmat" themselves and can't comment on how inaccessible they specifically may be.

>>65329254
>why not
This is odd. I've forgotten my rationale for not sharing music. Sorry to disappoint you.

>>65329260
How would that conversation go?

Can you post a light/vague transcript or summation?
>>
>>65328119
People generally doesn't like having to work for recommendations. If you sometimes forget that people have other opinions, you could be seen as kind of a smug dick about it, especially if you're reserved to share your music. I'm not saying you are a smug dick, but that you could be seen as it in certain circumstances.

Recommending things is a strange concept. People hate to work for it and ask for it, but they also hate to get them apropos of nothing. The best way to recommending people stuff should be in a natural conversational way.

E.g.
"Oh, I just love [band], I wish there was more of it."
"Hey, if you like [band], you might like [other band]."

While sharing and recommending can be a bit exhausting to me, it's very important to do, if you do it in the right way. Not only do you show dependability and knowledge, but it also shows that you're interested in the person and wants for that person to have a good time and maybe even challenge themselves.

Basically, just recommend shit when the opportunity arises without preaching about it, and without seeming like a snobbish asshole, and you should be good.
>>
holy shit fuck off unty
>>
it's my deepest believe that music has to be shared, to create an opportunity for other people to engulf in it's beauty. I spend hours, days or even weeks to look for "clean" releases from a reliable source, in order to add them to my library. I have no interest in sharing widely known records, but only obscure*, dear to hard ones, as I don't like the thought of them vanishing from the surface at some point in time. in order to do so I archive those records, and even go that far as recreating cover arts from various sources in case they are missing or in poor quality. as autistic as this may sound I do this solely for the pleasure I derive doing so. this is one of the few things that actually seem "fun" to me, and keep me distracted from the bland life I'm living.
I'm not looking for acknowledgement, fame or any material desire – a simple "thank you" is more than enough to satisfy me.

*obsure as in "hard to find" and not just for the sake of being a "obscure/experimental" release
>>
>>65328119
FUCKING HELL GET OFF MY BOARD UNTY YOU FUCKING POSEUR

But no, it wont make people like you unless they drone your taste-which is the most poseur thing to ever do. Droning taste shows that you are a simple minded plebian concerned only about image rather than their own personal preference.
>>
File: bioniccommandomaster-d-2.png (9 KB, 366x462) Image search: [Google]
bioniccommandomaster-d-2.png
9 KB, 366x462
>>65331761
>mfw I realize I answered to a thread made by unty the tripfag
>then I realize I'm now answering to Montie the tripfag

Fuck you all tripfags, you don't know anything about music, go and listen to ITAOTS alone in you bathroom, faggots.
>>
>>65328119
Most of the time it's just an excuse to listen to music in situations where it would otherwise be not acceptable. I also like hearing about other people's opinions on things I like it. It doesn't really influence my view on the music I listen to normally, although sometimes when I hear a negative review I might look back on to the music I listen and reflect on why someone might have that opinion as well as why I might have my own. It's the reason why I like showcasing my music to my friends, or reading reviews from Anthony Fantano and Pitchfork/Allmusic despite not really agreeing with what Anthony has to say and normally hating Pitchfork/Allmusic, because they talk about the music I like which is normally not really discussed anywhere and tend to be more critical of it, which is intriguing to me even if my opinion doesn't necessarily change from the experience.
>>
>>65328119
dude can you post some rare french italo shit or like canadian gospel funk?
>>
File: 1452058957531.jpg (62 KB, 396x382) Image search: [Google]
1452058957531.jpg
62 KB, 396x382
>listening to music to aquire social status
If youve that kind of motive behind your hobbies, youre doing it wrong and will only serve to be disappointed.
>>
>>65333117
Oh yeah another big reason why I like listening to reviews or friend's opinions that another anon sort of brought up, although in a completely different way then what I'm discussing (>>65329453). Friends and reviewers tend to make recommendations or talk about music that is similar, such as citing the band's influences. The band themselves also do this occasionally. These are extremely great ways of looking for similar artists, especially when google, YouTube, last.fm, and blogs tend to fail you (which. Is rare for me, but it happens). I don't think I would have found out about bands like Iceage and Bad Brains if it weren't for recommendations from friends and reviewers.
>>
I wish I could delete this thread.
>>
>>65333878
top fucking kek
>>
>>65333878
LOL
>>
>2016
>being a snobby nigger
lmao senpai
>>
File: 1464713086114.jpg (97 KB, 957x749) Image search: [Google]
1464713086114.jpg
97 KB, 957x749
>>65328119
Because everyone knows that people that try very hard to find obscure stuff and can't play any instrument in the process are tryhard retards trying to look smart or interesting in something without putting in the effort. I wouldn't respect you for sure.

I can't wait until this wave of underage redditors fuck off to the next flavor of the month shit. Protip: you can listen to nuh obscurs music all you want, you still only have the understanding level of a top 40 listener.

Another tripfag gives proof to easily discredit him in the future.
>>
Is your purpose to show off said wealth or do you actually take interest in your friends and their tastes?
>>
>>65334032
>trying to look smart or interesting in something
How is cultivating a taste in music an exercising in "trying to look smart or interesting" when I don't share any of that music or my tastes with anyone?

>>65334046
I don't have friends.
>>
>>65334162
*an exercise in
>>
>>65334162
Compensation, lack of actual ambition so you leech off of others? There are many factors. You're still a fucking talentless poseur. I have zero respect for faggots who think they are suddenly music knowledgable when they listen to bland mediocre obscure crap over someone that plays any instrument and can actually say what is good and what isnt without having to factor in popularity.
>>
I like sharing music with people.

I have a music shareblog where I post albums I like so people can listen to them.

Nice to see you, unty. :-)
>>
>>65331761
For the record, Montie, I don't hate you and I'm not sure why other people do.
>>
ywn have friends dillin sorry
>>
>>65334235
>lack of actual ambition
>leech off of others
>talentless poseur
>suddenly music knowledgeable when they listen to bland mediocre obscure crap
I wonder how you managed to determine all of this.

>>65334309
I've thought of started something like this, even getting into WebDev since I'm already familiar with it.

Can you link your blog?
>>
>>65334545
>Can you link your blog?
Right over here >>65326272

I'd just post another link but this board gets really whacky with people sharing links here. Trying to not congest the archive with links, that kind of thing, you know.
>>
>>65334616
Looks nice. I really miss the various music-oriented blogspots that mostly seem to have withered and died in the last half-decade.

Any effort to revive that has my support.
>>
>>65334719
There's still some good ones around, but yeah, the mp3 blogspot has substantially waned in popularity.

Thank, unty! You're the best. :-)
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.