[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people so obsessed with physical media? I feel like the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: digital-music-converter-1.jpg (28 KB, 310x194) Image search: [Google]
digital-music-converter-1.jpg
28 KB, 310x194
Why are people so obsessed with physical media? I feel like the people who disparage people who buy digital music are the same kind of people who make a point to listen to and watch all the ''culturally significant'' music and movies like TPAB, Lemonade, Marvel movies, Christopher Nolan movies...

Like seriously it doesn't matter how you own music and if you think that you need a physical copy you don't care about the music, you care about other people seeing and thinking that you care
>>
do what you like, but if I really love some piece of music I'll want to own a physical copy of it.

look at it from my perspective: having a massive music directory looks good on paper, but it means you never have to decide what you really like. it's like hoarding - never throwing anything away just in case you'll find some use for it later. this never having to actually choose condemns people's taste to a kind of eternal limbo, where no distinctions are made. but that's not how we experience music, is it?

we're supposed to broaden and deepen our appreciation, not just accumulate unthinkingly. there should be some direction to learning, and one way I do that is by putting skin in the game. it forces me to think harder about whether I'm actually enjoying music as much as I think - leaving them digital kind of has the sense that I still haven't made up my mind about whether they're indeed worth owning yet
>>
>>65185564
You're talking about pirating
I'm talking about buying digitally
>>
>>65185602
yeah, I don't understand that at all. why buy an invisible, intangible copy of music that expires when you do? it's forfeiting your first-sale rights - if you're buying, you might as well be able to sell it back when you're done with it.
>>
Buying digitally is wacky to me. There's no advantage of stealing

I download through what or apple music and I also buy albums I like physically. I'd never pay for an mp3.
>>
>>65185646
>>65185677
See, you aren't in it for hte music.
>>
>>65185379
it's not about music, people are generally obsessed with possessing things.
>>
>>65185694
see
>>65185564
I use it as a method to decide - you can't love every piece of music you encounter equally, so you need to choose. asking yourself if you're willing to pay for something constricts your options, and forces final decisions to be made.
>>
>>65185735
If you're buying music you love you shouldn't care about whether or not you can "sell back" your copy, that's an extramusical concern.
>>
>>65185804
why do you care?
>>
Collecting things is fun and I like holding/looking at the packaging from time to time. Also, paying for digital files is weird to me. Not unthinkable, just weird. I guess the physical nature of things helps give something value in my eyes as I tend to either pirate or wait until its dirt cheap if it's digital only. I'll pay full retail for a cassette, CD, or vinyl though.
>>
>>65185804
it matters if I stop liking an album, artist, genre - whatever. then I can recoup some of what I've spent. if I bought mp3s of artists I end up disliking, that's just lost money.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.