[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best responses to normies that like radiohead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: ok computer.jpg (153 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
ok computer.jpg
153 KB, 953x953
i'll start
>this is an 18+ board
>summer
>how's your 1st day on /mu/ going?
>think you typed the reddit URL in wrong bro
>>
just tell them to check out something good like oasis
>>
Radiohead, the most hyped and probably the most over-rated band of the decade, upped the ante for studio trickery. They had begun as third-rate disciples of the Smiths, and albums such as Pablo Honey (1993) and The Bends (1995) that were cauldrons of Brit-pop cliches. Then OK Computer (1997) happened and the word "chic" took on a new meaning. The album was a masterpiece of faux avantgarde (of pretending to be avantgarde while playing mellow pop music). It was, more properly, a new link in the chain of production artifices that changed the way pop music "sounds": the Beatles' Sgt Pepper, Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, Michael Jackson's Thriller. Despite the massive doses of magniloquent epos a` la U2 and of facile pathos a` la David Bowie, the album's mannerism led to the same excesses that detracted from late Pink Floyd's albums (lush textures, languid melodies, drowsy chanting). Since thee production aspects of music were beginning to prevail over the music itself, it was just about natural to make them "the" music. The sound of Kid A (2000) had decomposed and absorbed countless new perfumes, like a carcass in the woods. All sounds were processed and mixed, including the vocals. Radiohead moved as close to electronica as possible without actually endorsing it. Radiohead became masters of the artificial, masters of minimizing the emotional content of very complex structures. Amnesiac (2001) replaced "music" with a barrage of semi-mechanical loops, warped instruments and digital noises, while bending Thom Yorke's baritone to a subhuman register and stranding it in the midst of hostile arrangements, sounding more and more like an alienated psychopath. Their limit was that they were more form than content, more "hype" than message, more nothing than everything.
>>
Saged, reported, hidden, saged
>>
>>65145312
/mu/ has always liked RH you silly goose
>>
File: muse_rh.jpg (84 KB, 700x635) Image search: [Google]
muse_rh.jpg
84 KB, 700x635
>>
>>65145312
>People still think summer brings more underage shit
>Mot has conformed multiple times we really should stop that and do it more at the end of december when we actually get the most new traffic
Also really only newfags that go on /b/ give a shit
>>
>>65145446
I agree with everything up until Kid A. I think that's when Radiohead hit their stride.
>>
>>65145502
>moot
who?
>>
>>65145526
world's most influential person of 2008
>>
>>65145526
I didn't say moot I said mot silly head :^)
>>
>>65145553
:)
>>
>>65145446
>Pablo Honey 6.5/10
>The Bends 6/0
>OK Computer 7/10
>Kid A 6.5/10
>Amnesiac 7/10

Memes aside, these are pretty good scores by Scaruffi standards.
>>
>>65145655
How the fuck do you rate Pablo over the bends
>>
>>65145513
even if what scruffles is saying is true i dont understand why it matters that much. ok computer sounds good (great, in fact) and so does DSOTM. just don't understand how he can dismiss that for being faux-avant garde and go on to praise Acka Dacka of my native land as "one of the greatest heavy-metal bands of all times, and one of the most authentic acts of rock'n'roll" and get behind Korn
>>
>>65145312
Troll them by saying that Kid A is their best album.
>>
>>65145683
He insists on overrating debut albums. Just subtract a point or half.
>>
>>65145446
>>65145513
>>65145655
>>65145683
>>65145709
>>65145813
Scaruffi is a mean asshole. He thinks musicians aren't human beings with feelings and he likes to talk shit about them. He's jealous he doesn't have Yorke's talent.
>>
>>65145709
I think DSOTM is a completely mediocre album that is still enjoyable, but there's nothing I'd actually praise about it. Same about OK Computer. Not because they're "faux-avant-garde" but because I find them uninteresting.
>>
>>65145709
>Unlike their imitators, though, My Bloody Valentine did not embellish pop melodies with distorted guitars. They created melody from chaos (not just from guitars). The music of My Bloody Valentine becomes "ethereal" in retrospect, while many of their disciples tried to be "ethereal" a priori. In this sense, their brand of rock is one of the few that truly mimics the psychedelic '60s, instead of borrowing the sounds “after the fact.” It is the process that matters, not the result. Theirs is therefore a search for musical textures, relative to that of Sonic Youth, not that of Jesus and Mary Chain.

Judging by this quote, what Scaruffi basically thinks is that both Radiohead and DSOTM are just everyday easy-listening music embellished by studio trickery to make listeners believe it's something special.
>>
>>65145916
this. except not ironically
>>
>>65146205
He has no idea what "a priori" means. What a fucking clown
>>
>>65146205
it just confuses me why he loves so many bands who are unapologetically dull, like is it to go against pitchfork (or its predecessors)
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.