[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/'s thoughts on him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: George Clinton.jpg (291 KB, 1028x1028) Image search: [Google]
George Clinton.jpg
291 KB, 1028x1028
/mu/'s thoughts on him?
>>
Didn't he join some weird Scientology-level church or something?
>>
>>65120981
Genius.
>>
Was one of the few black artists to put out edgy music in the 70s and push boundaries. This was a decade when black music in general was shallower and less satisfying to listen to than the 60s which of course had the Civil Rights Movement as a backdrop.

The overall vapidness of groups like the Commodores and Kool & The Gang can partially be blamed on the lack of anything to protest over versus the previous decade, but also the latent racism at major labels who tended to encourage black artists to churn out cheeseball pop and disco numbers and avoid politics or anything controversial or related to black power.
>>
Eddie Hazel was the real talent

That's why Funkadelic went downhill after Maggot Brain
>>
>>65121467
mmmuh ebic instrumental

Just sounds like generic 70s rock guitar wankery to me.
>>
>>65121448
you see how the times have changed. 90% of black music in the 2010s is just white peple r ruining the erf we didn't do nuffin.
>>
>>65121656
Well, yeah. The 70s was a stone's throw from the Jim Crow days; it's now half a century since the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Black culture is a lot more accepted now by whites and less of this alien entity it was 40 years ago.
>>
George Clinton, weather it be with Parliment, or Funkadelic never put out a bad record.
>>
>>65121467
I disagree. There were a lot of good jams in between America Eats it's Young, and Uncle Jam Wants You.
>>
He helped create the virus of RHCP. Fuck him.
>>
>>65121448
Christgau said you could tell what funksters were real and what were fake based on their reactions to disco. Groups like K&TG who adapted easily were mostly the shallow, bubblegum sort while George Clinton and James Brown had trouble with it.
>>
Amazing musical hero.
>>
>>65120981
based
>>
Parliament and Funkadelic are pretty cool, but I like his solo work best. Bodyguard is such a bad ass song. And Do fries go with that shake?
>>
James Brown > George Clinton
>>
>>65122698
>rhcp
>bad

This meme really needs to stop
>>
>>65123742
Theyre both good.
>>
>>65123871
Yeah you're right.
>>
>>65122698
So did every rock musician before them.
>>
Kind of like James Brown on acid as a leader. Surrounded by insanely talented black musicians who wanted to fucking rock...they already had the funk, but they were reaching...like Hendrix. The Westbound era is my personal favorite, but I also have love and respect for the more tame Parliament/Bop Gun Funkadelic...but nothing from their catalog fucking beats Alice in my Fantasies, man...I think even Aerosmith took notes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX7lVgIfvYE
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.