[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Krautrock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: pic-05.jpg (46 KB, 490x225) Image search: [Google]
pic-05.jpg
46 KB, 490x225
I've been a big Can fan for years and I really adore their music, but I have trouble getting into Neu!, Ash Ra Tempel,...
I've read that Krautrock took it's influences from modern classical and free jazz (which is very evident in Can records) but I can't hear those influences on Neu!, Ash Ra Tempel or Amon Duul II albums. They sound like random drony noodling with wah pedals and steady 4/4 beats. What am I missing?
>>
in the crimson court over the sdea
>>
>>65077523
?
>>
>>65077501
Neu! is just Neu! dude. They're not super intellectual. The guy who is still alive has said that he figures one note is better than 2,3,4,x. Deepest thing I heard him say.
I've only heard Ash Ra's first album which just sounds like if Klaus Schulze's Irrlicht was Voodoo Child.
I hear the later Ashra stuff is a precursor to Manuel Göttsching's solo stuff like E2-E4, which I love - basically techno b4 techno.
>random drony noodling
Okay well Amon Duul II maybe are like that but I find their noodling to be quite engaging. I see how this could apply to that 1st Ashra record too. Hm... I don't think many would argue that those groups are better than Can, but they are trying to achieve different things and need to be approached on their own terms. There is a flip side to 'drony noodling' and that is say, blissful ambiance or something. Kosmiche musik, ya?
But anyway, I think Faust are more up your alley.
>>
>>65077847
thanks. I regret using the term drony noodling, since it can be applied to a lot of music that I like. What I meant is that some of the albums sound like the musicians aren't really trained and are just a bunch of stoned guys living in a commune strumming their guitars and a drummer playing motorik.
>>
>>65077924
Oh yes, for sure. Although I think in Neu's case there is a real discipline in terms of the number of elements used on a track and whatnot, a devotion to 'minimalism'. Amon Duul II were the remnants of Amon Duul, who were all in a commune. Essentially, it's just insane psych-rock and nothing more.
>>
>>65078070
A little bit off-topic, but what genres and artists do you listen to? I can rarely start a proper conversation on here because of all the shitposting and memes and it's nice to find someone serious.
>>
Can is pretty singular in krautrock as far as their groovy shit like Halleluwah

But most of krautrock is (just like Can), lots of droning, crazy jammy tracks that ramble and amble about

Early Kraftwerk
Neu '75 (you'll love side 2)
Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei + Yeti
Ibliss - Supernova
Gong - You + Angel's Egg

Also get into early prog like the Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt, Triumvirat, Alphataurus, United States of America

Also the Silver Apples are fucking amazing

All more up your alley i think
>>
>>65077924
>Amon Duul II
>aren't trained
Have you listened to Yeti? Some of the techniques they all use on their instruments? They definitely knew their shit. Not to mention their drummer did anything but stick to generic motorik beat since they had that drummer and he would be playing with like tabla players and shit.

>>65077501
>drony noodling with wah pedals on steady 4/4 beats
You just described Can on Halleluwah. Amon Duul II didn't stick to 4/4 that much, and their noodling wasn't psych rock jam band inspired, it was jazz/minimalism inspired. Listen to the entire first suite on Yeti for example; it starts off with a riff similar to psychedelic rock, but in later parts eventually builds up to seven to eight different parts happening at the same time similar to minimalism. Hell, the tail end of Yeti are IMPROVISATIONS (you know, that thing jazz artists are known for) which also start off minimal but build up with more happening. Amon Duul II didn't make pointless jams, their jams felt like moving, living pieces.
>>
>>65078106
I've enjoyed listening to African music lately. Tech-house or minimal techno like Ricardo Villalobos too. I always come back to My Bloody Valentine. Got a few huge bluegrass comps from Rutracker recently that I've enjoyed. Loving Stockhausen, Ligeti, Morton Feldman. New computer, no drive to get my old files on the new one. I've been listening to my iPod on shuffle, enjoying Duke Ellington, that Nuggets comp. I like The Grateful Dead, shoegaze, 'IDM', dub techno, ambient, Led Zeppelin - I've got a poster that's been hanging in my room for like 8 years. What are you into?
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 640x643) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 640x643
>>65078333
You shouldlisten to Julius Eastman

And pic related
>>
>>65077501
neu sounds very simlilar to can so thats surprising. ash ra temple sounds like cheesy non stop soloing maybe somewhat innovative at the time but now just sounds cheesy. (gottching and shulzs other projects are killer tho) amon duul sounds like more of an british style prog band to me but are still very good but maybe not the morotik beat groove based kraut you like from can.
>>
>>65078428
>miss luba
>unjust malaise
kek those were my two favorite albums when i discovered rym at 14
>>
>>65078588
Oh those are popular on there?

Found Missa Luba in the World section at the record store i work at for 3 bucks and bought it on the spot when i heard some tracks. Shit is crazy good
>>
Can is the best krautrock band, so don't bother.
>>
>>65078905
Not even close. Faust did the weird innovative stuff better. Amon Duul II was the far better progressive style/jammy band. Popol Vuh and later Tangerine Dream killed it on ambiance. Can's only got groovy repetitive drums going for it, and even then the percussion arrangements set up by Amon Duul II are far more interesting.

>>65078667
Unjust Malaise is known as a poseurcore album here. As in an album people will claim is great in order to appear cool or knowledgable. I personally think it has a few really cool composition along with a lot of filler.
>>
>>65078428
Oh wow nice recs thx. Lately I've been digging Franco + Le TPOK Jazz. Yo, u kno what is a dope choral + traditional record? That Huun Huur Tu + Bulgarian Choir thang. V spook. I really don't know much about Julius Eastman but I'll check him out now that I've seen him recommended outside of any perceived avant-teen hivemind.
>>
>>65079091
>poseurcore
fuck off it was a meme way before poseurcore was. its been rymcore since probably 2005 or earlier
>>
>>65079091
ah, of course. Memes that attempt to doscourage finding buried gems or developing cool original taste rather than droning /moo/core and the like
>>
File: image.png (267 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
267 KB, 640x1136
>>65079182
I screenshot yr comment to check that shit out later

These are some of the most recent snags of mine, i think you'd enjoy them all
>>
>>65079261
Thanks, the Huun Huur Tu album with Bulgarian Voices is called Fly, Fly My Sadness. I've been pretty stoked about these 'Francophonic' compilations if you're looking for a Franco release, I hear his discog is daunting. I saved that photo.
>>
File: image.png (246 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
246 KB, 640x1136
>>65079386
Thanks for the sick recs dude

in case youre feelin some bonkers free jazz, here's some coolness added to my wantlist lately
>>
>>65079091
>weird innovative stuff
>automatically good
>>
krautrock isn't a genre
it's german post-psychedelic rock
>>
>>65077501
Can were just the best musicians.

>>65077501
>sound like random drony noodling
that is the sound of free art music influence played by worse musicians
>>
>>65079792
>it's german post-psychedelic rock
it's komitechse music you philistine
>>
>>65079749
Not automatically, but it is good. Faust isn't better than Can, but they are very good. I don't care and want to nap. Faust IV is great if you feel sleepy.
>>
>>65079749
That's totally not what I said. I am only saying that Faust are better at doing that type of stuff.
>>
>>65080544
Sorry, i misunderstood you.
>>
Bumping for recommendations that aren't Kraftwerk, Faust, Neu!, Can, Amon Duul II, Popol Vuh, or a Gottsching project.
>>
>>65081952
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ievdCsXa4
this has nothing to do with krautrock, but it is extremelly unknown and amazing
>>
>>65081952
Check out some Boredoms. Particularly their albums Vision Creation Newsun and Super æ
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.