[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I’ve just finished listening to Bjork entirely for the very
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 37
File: Bjork.png (53 KB, 208x209) Image search: [Google]
Bjork.png
53 KB, 208x209
I wanted to go from her first punk band until her last recent album Vulnicura. And I’ve acknowledged:

>begins making music at 10, in a isolated country out of the world
>first album recorded at 11, but she didn’t want to contract any label pursuits
>first punk band at 14
>been part of the Icelandic post-punk movement of the 80s
>labeled and toured with Crass and Einstürzende Neubauten with her band KUKL in the ’84-’85
>founder and lead singer of the Sugarcubes, first world acclaimed Icelandic band
>outstanding vocal capabilities with unique timbre and unmatchable emotive mark like I never heard before
>makes jazz scat-singing like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y01fP1GFJgk
>goes solo at 28 and releases Debut, one of the first albums credited to have introduced acid house and electronica into mainstream
>an involving discography made only by beautiful records, each one very different from the others, both musically and emotively
>experimented with every kind of electronica, with influences and elements that range from trip-hop to IDM, from classical to avant-garde, to chamber pop to industrial
>>
>a polyhedral attitude and interest in every kind of music
>being Thom’s hugest crush
>hosted the documentary Modern Minimalists
>powerful skilled performer with overwhelming live shows
>wants each of her song represented visually in her own way
>has music videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2tBhaVEWGM
>is also a great hidden actress
>multimedial artist who runs a interdisciplinary art project which is school subject in Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Greenland and Denmark
>has her own installations into a museum
>interviewed significant music figures such as Stockhausen, Arvo Part and John Cage, whose all demonstrated appreciation for her music
>50 years old today and still releasing beautiful music and art

Now. I don’t see any reliable, concrete reasons why this shouldn’t be in your top 5 artists, any, aside that she may be an acquired taste for someone. I didn’t expect it, but this is a genuinely unique and creative artist who deserves all the universal acclaim that she got. Is really this the best solo act of the last 30 years?

Please, no waifufagging or shitposting in this thread.
>>
she's not in my top 5 artists because just like Radiohead, David Bowie, The Beatles, and all these other ~le art and pop in one~ artists, they leave me just wanting the art music they're cannibalizing and simplifying for a mass audience. once you get over pop music, you'll understand.
>>
>>65055160
Sorry, I don't see this a reliable reason, since you're bringing some common memes typical of this board.

I don't even see the real connection between "pop" music and Bjork, if not slightly referred to some tendencies, which still they collapse under the polyhedral and complicated attitude she has in singing and unifying different musical genres into a whole.
>>
File: freckled bork.jpg (149 KB, 612x848) Image search: [Google]
freckled bork.jpg
149 KB, 612x848
>>65055108
yep, she is a really great, consistent artist. Her voice is one of a kind and the way she uses it in her music is fascinating to say the least. I can't really say anything that others or myself haven't already said before

Since this seems like an actual discussion thread, are there any genres you think she should integrate into her music that she hasn't already? Do you think there are some she has covered before that she should incorporate again?

>>65055123
>Please, no waifufagging or shitposting in this thread
let us hope

>>65055160
I know this is bait, but "outgrowing" any genre is childish. If you want to be musically mature you should never exclude yourself from certain things, and listen to what you enjoy the most, not music that's the most difficult to understand or appreciate
>>
>>65055409
>are there any genres you think she should integrate into her music that she hasn't already?

Post-rock, I haven't heard elements of this type of music in her discography. And I think it could match very beautifully with her way of channeling any type of emotional level.
>>
>>65055409
>o you think there are some she has covered before that she should incorporate again?

Absolutely jazz, her hidden gem Gling-Glò showed her outstanding scat singing skills, and she should do at least another album, maybe collaborating with some great musician in the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8vVeOH0MTw
>>
File: strange dress bork.jpg (93 KB, 512x791) Image search: [Google]
strange dress bork.jpg
93 KB, 512x791
>>65055562
I've never actually thought of Björk working in that genre, I have no idea what it would sound like. I don't think she is very keen on making rock-oriented music anymore, but if she still is, with the right people I think it could be an incredible, interesting project.

>And I think it could match very beautifully with her way of channeling any type of emotional level
100% agree, with the way she uses emotion in her music so well, I'd be surprised if it didn't turn out to be a powerful record instrumentally and vocally
>>
>>65055731
>I've never actually thought of Björk working in that genre, I have no idea what it would sound like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOloBqXK9c

This track is a b-side from Post, and it is something that has actually resemblances with post-rock someway. I believe Bjork would match perfectly with this kind of mood into the context of a whole album.
>>
File: 56363675986.jpg (337 KB, 1201x1526) Image search: [Google]
56363675986.jpg
337 KB, 1201x1526
>>65055409
>any genres she should integrate into her music
Jazz. Could be interesting
>>
Is this the most well-discussed thread on this board right now?
>>
File: short hair bork.png (1 MB, 1000x1018) Image search: [Google]
short hair bork.png
1 MB, 1000x1018
>>65055928
I'm unfamiliar with a sizable amount of her b-sides, so thank you! This sounds fine, I'd be interested in hearing an extended release of something similar.

>>65055712
>>65055985
her voice fits jazz surprisingly well. It's a genre you don't think about when you consider music she'd be great with, but then when you actually hear Gling-glò, you get to understand the potential of the combination. I wonder which jazz artists would work best with her, contemporary or otherwise.

>>65056013
possibly maybe, my friend
>>
File: 6436423643676.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1883) Image search: [Google]
6436423643676.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1883
>>65056090
Even though people often dismiss The Epic because it was reviewed by pitchfork or for some stupid reason like that, I feel like Kamasi Washington incorporated vocals pretty well on that record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkLz4MyDmuE
>>
File: babby bork.jpg (114 KB, 636x720) Image search: [Google]
babby bork.jpg
114 KB, 636x720
>>65056237
now THAT would be an interesting collab. I didn't dismiss that record like other people did, but I agree with one criticism: it's way too fucking drawn-out. I don't think Björk would fit vocally with the long form songs Washington performed on that release, but then again vocal jazz isn't known for having lengthy tracks aside from a few examples anyway.
>>
>>65055160
>>65055160
People like you make me want to give up. What a childish attitude. I really fucking hate you and everyone like you. If you're reading this, I truly hope you are wallowing in the misery of your fear. I can't imagine what it would be like to hold myself back from creative endeavors simply due to fear of fitting in with modern popular aesthetics. We live in a postmodern society now and your kind is outdated and dying and i'm fucking glad for it. Fuck you, man. I don't even care if this is bait. Go to Hell.
>>
>>65056513
please don't bring this into our nice thread
>>
File: bjork-1996-lorenzo-agius-02.jpg (367 KB, 1254x1734) Image search: [Google]
bjork-1996-lorenzo-agius-02.jpg
367 KB, 1254x1734
I want to marry her. Bjork is the most beautiful woman in the world by a huge margin
>>
>ITT: Ricardos
>>
File: eyeballin bork.jpg (150 KB, 741x900) Image search: [Google]
eyeballin bork.jpg
150 KB, 741x900
>>65056705
>>65056743
>>65055123
to the containment thread you go >>65056195
>>
>>65056513
>>65056705

ITS OVER BROS
>>
>>65056705
I used to have this picture as my phone wall pape
I'd just show it to people and tell them "want to see the most beautiful thing that exists"
>>
>>65056756
You are the one waifufagging, you keep posting pics of bjork for no fucking reason
>>
File: badass bork.jpg (3 MB, 2262x3000) Image search: [Google]
badass bork.jpg
3 MB, 2262x3000
speaking of Björk + different genres, would a shoegaze/dream pop Björk ever work? I think it would be an intriguing dynamic, and would at least showcase her vocals sucessfully.

>>65056773
shhh disregard them, anon

>>65056863
I am discussing and posting pictures of Björk at the same time, waifufagging would be something like >>65056705

learn the difference
>>
>>65056919
Yes the difference is you are a waifufag, meanwhile that other guy is basically a Ricardo
>>
File: highlights bork.jpg (586 KB, 1801x2500) Image search: [Google]
highlights bork.jpg
586 KB, 1801x2500
>>65056971
that poster is still objectively a waifufag whether you have a different definition or not

now start discussing music or leave, you're no better than him
>>
I would "fill" her if you know what i mean
>>
File: bjorkish_06signing_08.jpg (73 KB, 512x778) Image search: [Google]
bjorkish_06signing_08.jpg
73 KB, 512x778
So this thread was decent for about half an hour. At least we're getting a little better, I guess.
>>
>>65057437
>and he keeps on waifufagging
>>
File: 198398.jpg (295 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
198398.jpg
295 KB, 1920x1080
>>65057351
Well i would put her against a wall if you catch my drift
>>
File: coy bork.png (2 MB, 1000x1400) Image search: [Google]
coy bork.png
2 MB, 1000x1400
>>65057437
>So this thread was decent for about half an hour. At least we're getting a little better, I guess
couldn't have said it better myself

anybody still up to talk? Do you guys like her older punk bands? idk
>>
>>65057351
Don't touch her
>>
File: bjork scrobbles.png (87 KB, 819x682) Image search: [Google]
bjork scrobbles.png
87 KB, 819x682
some things to discuss:

>1. When did you first get into her?
I really only got into music and browsing here last year, and started going through her discography chronologically last summer.
I fell in love with her once I heard the first track of her first album.

>2. Volta is not actually that bad.
For me, Wanderlust is up there as one of the top bork tracks.

>3. Predictions on what her next album will be like. So far we know that it is going to be happier in tone, and Arca is working with her again.

>4. Also if you have a last.fm, post your bork scrobbles.
(she's my #1 artist btw)

>>65055123
She is in fact my favorite artist, and I hope to see her live sometime soon. Can't think of any other solo act better than her in the last 30 years.

>>65056919
I don't really think her and dream pop would really work, the styles seem too different to me.

>>65057351
post in >>65056195
>>
>First album recorded at 11
Now I'm depressed
>>
File: sweater bork.jpg (420 KB, 1312x2000) Image search: [Google]
sweater bork.jpg
420 KB, 1312x2000
>>65057571
>I don't really think her and dream pop would really work, the styles seem too different to me
I kind of thought the same thing, but it would be a strange dynamic either way

I found out about her when Volta came out and her video for Earth Intruders was featured on some website. I didn't start really listening to all her material and enjoying it until a few years later when I decided to listen to Homogenic and then Vespertine. It was great, and I regret not listening to her earlier

>For me, Wanderlust is up there as one of the top bork tracks
Wanderlust is a fantastic track, great to see some love for it here. The only problem I have with Volta is that there's nothing special really happening in the music. She's not innovating much and the songwriting seems very rushed to me

>3. Predictions on what her next album will be like. So far we know that it is going to be happier in tone, and Arca is working with her again.
She said it would be a "heaven to Vulnicura's hell," so I'm not sure what to think. As long as she tries something new I'm fine with it, because even though I didn't like Biophilia as much I respect that she's branching out into uncharted regions musically

I don't have a last.fm, but I've listened to Vespertine many times and it's probably in my top 50 if not top 25 favourite albums

>>65057760
ah don't worry, anon. Although she is very talented to have that singing prowess at such a young age, she did almost none of the songwriting. It's just like any other preteen pop album
>>
>>65055108
>>65055123
This guy knows, actually knows a lot of things, Impressed.
>>
>>65057518
I absolutely love her punk bands, they're fundamental to understand where she raised and what are her primal basics. I think one can listen to all her solo albums without fully understanding who Bjork is if not listens to her punk bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBVDFFLs6Fs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVDvc9XhzMo
>>
File: 548390232.gif (786 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
548390232.gif
786 KB, 500x380
>>65057571
>When did you first get into her?
I knew about her for two years but avoided listening to her music because I thought she was a meme. Heard Venus as a Boy for the first time last December and realized I was very wrong. I'm still very much a new fan compared to others, so I'm kind of shy when it comes to discussion.
>>
>>65056013
Not only but also the most comfy apparently :)
>>
File: tappi tikarrass bork.webm (3 MB, 1600x1030) Image search: [Google]
tappi tikarrass bork.webm
3 MB, 1600x1030
>>65058244
nice, which band do you like more? I love KUKL's Holidays in Europe but Tappi has more catchy and energetic songs. In my opinion they sound like an angstier Sugarcubes. I can't decide which I like more

>I think one can listen to all her solo albums without fully understanding who Bjork is if not listens to her punk bands.
I agree, the Sugarcubes and Tappi are essential listening and comparing them to the punk rock prevalent in America at the time, you can tell the cultural differences between each country's scene (which is funny considering Björk has said herself that Icelandic music a lot of the times is "sneaking out and listening to American music"), as well as the influences the bands have on her later music

>>65058310
Björk threads are always exceptionally comfy, as long as they're not talking about fucking her in the 90's
>>
>>65055409
>"outgrowing" any genre is childish
This is only used defensively by people who are caught listening to said terrible music.
>>
>>65058495
(baited)
shut the fuck up retard, we are actually discussing music on a fucking music board made to have music discussion
There's absolutely nothing wrong with including a picture of the artist we're talking about
>>
>>65056743
>>65057351
>>65058495
>>65058501
>not shitposting please
>>
>>65057571
did you ever see the bjork:archives book? I have it look it up you'll like it
>>
>>65058557
>There's absolutely nothing wrong with including a picture of the artist we're talking about
There might not be, but it's called waifufagging, wether you want it or not, because the pic adds nothing to the discussion its only purpose is showing the atractiveness of an artist
>>
File: 2016-05-21-163209_764x380_scrot.png (852 KB, 764x380) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-21-163209_764x380_scrot.png
852 KB, 764x380
>>65057571
It was around November 2014, before I browsed /mu/, and interested in music listening. It was the YouTube video of IOSQ. I remember thinking it was strange, but interesting. Soon, it was an all-out obsession with her music, soon leading me to start browsing /mu/. Even though I don't listen to her currently nearly as much, for this, she will always have a special place in my heart.

It might actually be that bad, at least compared to her other albums. At first I really liked it, but as I develop my taste I realize barely any of the songs have any sort of longevity. Wanderlust, The Dull Flame of Desire and especially Vertebræ by Vertebræ are standout tracks and some of her best in her discography, but everything else is subpar. I aslo liked Declare Independence, but man, does it bet old quick. And Hope is an abortion of a song, easily her worst leaving a bitter aftertaste in my earbuds. Volta is not a bad album, but it might as well be compared to everything she's done before.

>3. Predictions on what her next album will be like.
I just want it to be good. She should use Arca more a], and should experiment more in general.

My most listened artist by far, even though I don't listen to her that much anymore
>>
File: get out bork.jpg (44 KB, 512x811) Image search: [Google]
get out bork.jpg
44 KB, 512x811
>>65058738
I've heard of that book before, what does it include anyway?

>>65058798
Vertebræ by Vertebræ is a pretty cool song I agree

I like experimental Björk too, I wonder what this new album will bring to the table

>>65058495
great discussion friend

>>65058501
great argument friend
>>
>>65058453
>which band do you like more?

Each one is very different, I personally find all very interesting, considering also that the first two are low budget, they were incredibly good and promising. Tappi Tikarrass is the most primal Bjork in her 16 years old and already you can hear her powerful natural voice. KUKL are more an experimental, odd, chaotic and actually no-wave phenomenon; their two albums are something hugely creepy and at times very maniacal as well. Never heard something like that, really. Sugarcubes defined Bjork with her most crystal and beautiful voice peaks instead, you cannot sing like that and not getting the attention from the whole world indeed.
>>
>>65058738
>>65058954
It's from the MoMA exhibit at the museum basically. There's a new thing which includes all the sheet music and all her albums.

http://www.xn--bjrk-6qa.it/omnibus-il-nuovo-boxset/
>>
File: backseat bork.jpg (476 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
backseat bork.jpg
476 KB, 1680x1050
>>65058972
Both are very different you're right, that's probably why I can't pick between the two. I think I like KUKL more simply because of how unique they are. It's like if Dog Faced Hermans existed in the 80's and were also much more bleak and vividly terrifying. The vocals are what make it such a different surreal experience imo. I'd be interested in hearing a gothic rock band with female vocals with a aesthetic similar to them, but I doubt they could even compete

I also like how you mentioned the vocal highs that Björk sung while playing with the Sugarcubes. The manipulation of her vocal range is one of the biggest reasons I liked the band, along with how they were able to take alternative rock and make it more simplistic, almost abstract

>>65058783
oh yeah, and forgot to mention: this is an image board, I can post pictures of an artist if I want
>>
>>65059264
>oh yeah, and forgot to mention: this is an image board, I can post pictures of an artist if I want
I'm not saying you can't, I'm saying that doing it is waifufagging.
Reading comprehension lad
>>
>>65059319
I know, I'm saying posting pictures of an artist =/= waifufagging

now I recommend you stop shitposting and take my earlier advice >>65057079
>>
>>65059353
t. Ricardo
>>
could be better
>>
guys
>>
>>65059463
thank you miss grapefruit
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpCyeKha4XQ

Lads, if you add the bside Trance to Volta, it literally brings it up from 7/10 to 8/10. This song is beautifully cinematic, I don't understand why is not on the album, it would have done a perfect closer at the end.
>>
File: wet bork.jpg (53 KB, 498x771) Image search: [Google]
wet bork.jpg
53 KB, 498x771
>>65059650
man I really need to listen to her b-side collections, so far all the ones people have shared in these threads have been great, better than some of her past few albums
>>
>>65059546
i am grateful
>>
>>65055108
>>multimedial artist who runs a interdisciplinary art project which is school subject in Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Greenland and Denmark
>>has her own installations into a museum
>>interviewed significant music figures such as Stockhausen, Arvo Part and John Cage, whose all demonstrated appreciation for her music

Wew dude I actually didn't know about these things at all.
>>
>>65059704
You can find all the b-sides here listed on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Bj%C3%B6rk
>>
>>65055108
>>65055123
>>65059825
Guess we can say it now; Bjork female David Bowie confirmed.
>>
>>65059825
oh my god, so many fucking bsides she had recorded for every albums, incredible
>>
File: screamin bork.jpg (881 KB, 3649x3638) Image search: [Google]
screamin bork.jpg
881 KB, 3649x3638
>>65059825
>>65060488
this is what I was looking for, thank you

>>65060106
I don't 100% agree with this comparison but it comes up a lot, so sure
>>
File: Bjork - It's Oh So Quiet 01.webm (3 MB, 636x346) Image search: [Google]
Bjork - It's Oh So Quiet 01.webm
3 MB, 636x346
>>
This thread deserves a nice bump.
>>
File: happy bork.jpg (354 KB, 869x1071) Image search: [Google]
happy bork.jpg
354 KB, 869x1071
>>65061410
idk how much more discussion is gonna happen in this thread, but it was fun while it lasted

thanks for making this bork thread worthwhile guys
>>
>>65061689
This can actually be a good testament for those people who think there cannot be musical discussions on this board.
>>
medulla = vespertine = homogenic > biophilia > debut > post > vulnicura > volta
>>
>>65061918
>post and vulnicura that low

Wew are you okay anon?
>>
File: leaves bork.jpg (1 MB, 1271x1920) Image search: [Google]
leaves bork.jpg
1 MB, 1271x1920
>>65061910
I try my best to get discussion going and I'm glad it worked out with this thread

>>65061918
Vespertine > Homogenic = Medulla > Gling-glò > Vulnicura > Debut > Post = Volta > Biophilia
>>
File: bjork.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bjork.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
File: slutty bork.jpg (63 KB, 397x608) Image search: [Google]
slutty bork.jpg
63 KB, 397x608
>>65061986
that's not to say only I started discussion btw

>>65062065
red dress best dress
>>
File: Bjork - 808 STATE 03.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Bjork - 808 STATE 03.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>65062085
pink dress
>>
>>
File: gallery-post-gluchford03.jpg (495 KB, 2096x1417) Image search: [Google]
gallery-post-gluchford03.jpg
495 KB, 2096x1417
>>
File: pink dress bork.jpg (1 MB, 1773x2660) Image search: [Google]
pink dress bork.jpg
1 MB, 1773x2660
>>65062181
yes
>>
File: gallery-hugodixon-homogenic.png (2 MB, 1680x1023) Image search: [Google]
gallery-hugodixon-homogenic.png
2 MB, 1680x1023
>>
>>65062085
holy shit hnngg
>>
>>65055928
This song may be amongst the most beautiful things I've ever listened actually. Thanks based anon.
>>
>>65055108
She literally looks like 100% Japanese babe in this picture.
>>
File: adorabjork.jpg (308 KB, 1339x2000) Image search: [Google]
adorabjork.jpg
308 KB, 1339x2000
>>65063164
she is like an anime character
>>
>>65055108
>>65055123
TLDR
bjork saved icey landia
>>
>>65055928
>>65056090
>>65062740
Also be sure to check out the live versions of this track from Live Box
>>
yaas bjork slaaayy queen xxxoxoxo
>>
>>65064291
You really should read it from beginning to end actually.
>>
>>65055108
Björk is one of the greatest minds of the contemporary music scene in which to art is concerned. She has the ability to combine pure poetry, perfectly executed songs, visual accompaniments that fit greatly with each idea of what the songs represent, and last but not least, a unique voice that comes deep inside one and touches your inner senses like you never experienced before.
>>
good thread
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.