[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the fandom dying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 22
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 485x303) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 485x303
Is the fandom dying?
>>
Yes
-fandom
>>
>>27907584
Whenever we have a whole week without a "IS THE FANDOM DYING?" thread, that would mean that the fandom is indeed dead. But as for now, it's as alive and obnoxious as ever.
>>
>>27907591
Speak for yourself, anon

We still produce way more content than most other fandoms/ Just because it's smaller than it was before doesn't mean it's small. This fandom is huge.
>>
Its not

What is happening is that many people that have been on this since the beginning have been dropping out, after all, it has been 5 years but we constantly get new members so it balances out
>>
File: They're_everywhere.jpg (208 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
They're_everywhere.jpg
208 KB, 1920x1280
>>27907584
Yes But as a fan we must be a fag to be a fan-dum so yes we are dying we die every day but we are in plenty anon remember. once a fag all ways a fag.
-Anon 2016
>>
It's not going to die anytime soon, but I think the glory days are behind us.
>>
let the ride end

i welcome death
>>
>>27907657
>Let the ride die
The ride will die when the internet is wiped clean and the last brony dies.
>>
I'll let you know when the mods unstealth ban me
>>
>>27907584
Is the culture of horse-fame dying? Yes. Thank fuck. That's what ruined the fandom in the first place.

Are the group of people who love pones and who like to create pone stuff because they love it and not because it's a convenient bandwagon or because they want attention dying?

No sir.
>>
File: laughingchads.jpg (50 KB, 462x450) Image search: [Google]
laughingchads.jpg
50 KB, 462x450
>>27907657
>he thinks the ride will end
>>
>>27907688
Actually, some of the people who now love ponies discovered the show thanks to those bandwagoners. As annoying as they were, they helped the fandom. The "sincere" fandom that's left, albeit somewhat better, is maybe too small to bring new people who could enjoy the show.
>>
File: THE_RIDE_NEVER_ENDS.jpg (231 KB, 863x752) Image search: [Google]
THE_RIDE_NEVER_ENDS.jpg
231 KB, 863x752
>>27907657
THE RIDE NEVER ENDS
>>
File: THE-RIDE-NEVER-ENDS.jpg (29 KB, 492x366) Image search: [Google]
THE-RIDE-NEVER-ENDS.jpg
29 KB, 492x366
>>27907741
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTgwLKRPQF8
>>
>>27907584
I sure hope so
It's not fun talking about the show with people who never really cared for it and just stayed to belong to the latest hype
>>
File: mlfw8795-IMG_4511.jpg (18 KB, 500x343) Image search: [Google]
mlfw8795-IMG_4511.jpg
18 KB, 500x343
>>27907748
>>
>>27907584
Compared to what we were? Yeah, sure. I think that the fandom peaked sometime around late 2013, at least as far as interest goes. Having said that, we certainly aren't dying as far as content goes, I haven't noticed any significant change in quality music, art or writefagging.

I'm getting pretty tired of the 'all the people who left are bandwagoners, we're the true fains!' circlejerk, though. Were a lot of the people who joined up post S2 bandwagoners? Sure. But a lot of people who came were really solid fans of the show and produced a shit ton of content. Seeing the show changing is a very valid reason to leave.
>>
>>27907584
No.

Summerfags are bringing it back to life. Praise the sun!
>>
File: meh.gif (426 KB, 500x260) Image search: [Google]
meh.gif
426 KB, 500x260
>>27907584
Here's that reply you wanted.
>>
>>27908554
>please stop making me feel justifiable shame for being so fucking new
>>
File: e16WWlK.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
e16WWlK.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>27908593
Joined late 2011 nigga. Missed the golden age, but still got a decent ride.
>>
File: graphForShowingToFaggots.png (38 KB, 925x565) Image search: [Google]
graphForShowingToFaggots.png
38 KB, 925x565
>>
>>27907584
No, not at all. In fact, I think it's growing.
>>
>>27907584
it is all the autistic people that leave the fandom and get intrested in stuff like fnaf, steven universe and undertale ect
>>
>>27907584
That's like saying the Pokémon fandom will be dead after the GO hype blows over.
>>
>>27907584
Nope.
>>
>>27908611
feels good to be on top
>>
>>27908611
Do you think MLP will get a boost in interest once the other fandoms start to fade? Or will something else come along and absorb fans?
>>
>>27907584
Strangely, no. It has periods of expansion and contraction, but so far it hasn't followed any single trend.

I still think S2-S3 hiatus was the height of the fandom, though. The length of the hiatus hurt things, then S3 really shafted a lot of the 'weak' from the 'Pure Brony Fandomâ„¢' crowd (which is us). Since then, the show has been getting better and better in quality, so it slowly and steadily builds/maintains its ranks.

I know several people that had quit a long while ago started watching S4-S5 and they're hooked again.
>>
File: Screenshot (403).png (47 KB, 1242x351) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (403).png
47 KB, 1242x351
>>27907584
We've got more numbers than furries.
>pic related
>>
>>27908554
I never knew who the bandwagoners were until I saw all of them chase FNaF's fart gas then immediately hop onto Undertale as soon as people started saying it was good. Bunch of shallow sods.

I'll admit, though, they are talented and can drum up a lot of support, but they bring zombified hoards of cancerous pukes in their wake. I think those zombies that came to the pony fandom either wised up, got buried, or followed the bandwagoners as they shit their ways into new fandoms.
>>
>>27908816
Holy shit, it's crazy to see the actual numbers going on here. Who'da thunk that after nearly 6 years we'd still be going strong with poni?
>>
File: medium.png (72 KB, 498x600) Image search: [Google]
medium.png
72 KB, 498x600
Yes and No.
I started watching when I was 16, but as I matured, the show lost its innocent charm and was replaced with fanfictons, green, and lewd which in turn ruined the show for me.

I believe the people who left the Fandom experienced the same thing I did, they lost interest or they grew out of it.
>>
>>27908849
You're just a confused teen.

I started watching as an adult and now I'm an adult. The show is just too good to lose interest in. I love the fantasy type of world, the character personalities, the little fandom nods (as if we're able to be a tiny part of the show), and how everything kind of moves forward with the character development.

The only thing I hate is that Celestia doesn't do more and that they changed her personality from the mysterious wise Gandalf prankster-type to a more open, on-my-period-every-other-episode kind of pony. I want that ol' prankster to come back or even team up with Discord for some shenanigans.
>>
>>27908877
>>27908849
But on a side note, some of my best and happiest memories were with the Fandom and this board. Like many others, ill carry this Fandom and the memories of it with me to my grave.
>>
File: Capture.png (36 KB, 854x497) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
36 KB, 854x497
>>27908611
>brand

Pokemon as a search term blows all of them out of the water.
>>
>>27908913
I want to cap your post, print it out, and put it in my coffin to be incinerated along with me. After I've donated my organs, of course.
>>
>>27908932

Pokemon and steven universe don't have to deal with a shitty exclusive channel
>>
File: 3241.png (40 KB, 852x496) Image search: [Google]
3241.png
40 KB, 852x496
>>27908932
That being said, My Little Pony as a search term is much more lucrative though you have to take the brand as a whole into account.
>>
>>27908932
>>27908942
>>27908962
Search terms aren't the only important thing. This fandom generates far more content than Pokemon does
>>
File: 1466382662489.png (208 KB, 259x495) Image search: [Google]
1466382662489.png
208 KB, 259x495
>>27908611
>fnaf is more popular than steven universe in 2016
>>
>>27908969
I agree. The only fandom that maybe make more content than us is Star Wars
>>
>>27908932
>implying

Nah, these are all options with highest numbers for each. Amount of searches for "Five Night at Freddy's" as a game was close to non-existant back then.

And, to be honest "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" is a lil bit too specific request as well as far from being the only side of the fandom. We have EQG, Movie, toys, fanfics, neckbeards, autists, etc. MLP is not just a TV show.
>>
>>27907584
I honestly hope it does. this board has not been getting better over the years.
>>
>>27908913
This.
You guys are like a second family to me.
>>
>>27907584
There are way too many of these threads nowadays
>>
>>27909248
That's why we're called "Bronies"
Bro-pony.
>>
>>27908635
That's true though. It will die down slightly once people stop playing Pokemon Go
>>
>>27907584
Just because autist meemsters jumped ship for FNAF, Steven Universe and Undertale doesn't mean we're dying, we just have a more dedicated fanbase now.

Like the other anons said, a shitton of content is still made every day. Anybody here who goes on Derpibooru regularly to fap would know that.
>>
>>27909520
His point was that a decrease in popularity != death of a fandom. You could've claimed the Star Wars fandom died after the prequels. You'd be wrong.
>>
>>27909087
Dude, that shit is entirely ironic though. Star Wars doesent have a very big core fanbase, just a ton of people who enjoy it as a pop culture icon. It's apples to oranges.
>>
File: doomed future.png (109 KB, 2018x563) Image search: [Google]
doomed future.png
109 KB, 2018x563
It is. It's been dying since early 2013.
>B-but we're still bigger than others.
We were bigger than ourselves a fe years ago.
>>
>>27909584
Really I think everyone can agree that posts have been getting slower. I started posting here in the mid S4-5 hiatus, and even during that posts were far greater than during the actual seasons. It's all time, it has nothing to do with the show's quality or quantity. Unless it becomes the magical shiny object it once was to everyone, I don't think it will recover.
This would most likely take another reinvention of the brand, but unless it's something cute with Luna and Celestia, or something else in-universe, and not this GOH shit, then I see no one caring in 3 years time.
>>
>>27909584
>We were bigger than ourselves a fe years ago.
We're no where near dead, though
>>
>>27907584
No, you're just getting burnt out along with everyone else who cries about the show being terrible now.
>>
>>27909627
But it is.
Watch any episode from season 4 onward, and compare it to a past seasons episode. You may not think they are terrible, but I'm sure you won't enjoy it in the same way you once did.
>>
File: ded.png (3 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
ded.png
3 KB, 226x223
>>27909584
So it predicts we'll be dead by 2019?
might as well enjoy the time I have left
>>
File: fuckinghasjew.jpg (16 KB, 223x226) Image search: [Google]
fuckinghasjew.jpg
16 KB, 223x226
>>27909643
OH GEE I WONDER WHY
>>
>>27909664
I'd have to agree. Giving her wings drastically changed her character. It could have been neat, and I didn't mind the event itself, but the writers didn't make it anything all too engaging.
>>
>>27909685
>Giving her wings drastically changed her character.
It's almost as if DHX were forced to add it into the show by a malicious toy company that doesn't even care about overworking employees to the point of driving them to illness and miscarriage.
>>
>>27909715
It's partially why you would have to reinvent the show to revitalize everyone. Like I said here
>>27909610
Everyone is burnt out on the changes they made. They aren't terrible ideas, but they are more fit for finales, and not mid series arch changes. You need to get away from our beloved characters, make new ones, which could take the form of a young Luna/Celestia and their friends, for a time before their full potential takes hold of their lives, in a more medieval equestria, still having all of the cute little girl trappings needed for marketability.
>>
>>27909627
I'm one of those who cry about the show being terrible now. It never affected me when people said that the show was terrible after S2. I never cared about Twilicorn, MMC is one of my favorite episodes, and S5 was my favorite season. So, unless you're highly suggestible, people crying about the show being terrible shouldn't affect you at all if you think it's good. That being said, I hate S6, and I'll keep on crying because the show it's fucking shit now and there's not much else I can do but cry. Does that bother you? Do you feel that the board used to be better and you feel helpless because something you liked is shit? Well, iktf.
>>
>>27909734
>something you liked is shit
wew lad
>>
>>27909734
The board isn't shit now, it's just smaller. The show isn't smaller now, it's just shit. It's not 2012 anymore.
Liken it to say battlefeild. 3 may have been weird and new to old fans(the initial /co/ spark), but it spawned a loving fanbase that held people in and cemented friendships(pre Twilicorn). Then 4 came out (Twilicorn and onwards), and while it was familiar to everyone, and shaped up to be good, it was still riding off of 3, which was very old at that point. People grew, as did the fatigue of the game(the writing changes). 1 is new, and slightly different. It adds enough to be fresh (Starlight Glimmer), but it plays so hard off of old tropes at times that I'd bet people who are sick of it, even though they will still play it, are not getting that same fuzzy feeling they use to during 2011.
>>
>>27907584
>Is the fandom dying?

God I hope so ,and please let it be of AIDS.
>>
>>27907584
How many sky is falling threads is this today?
>>
>>27907711
This. Those bandwagon viewers might not last long, but they create content and draw new people to try the show, both of which are things we need.
>>
File: 1406087286624.jpg (76 KB, 359x369) Image search: [Google]
1406087286624.jpg
76 KB, 359x369
Someone needs to make a dishonorable discharge webm or gif. You know. Where they are like tearing the patch/badge off their chest and taking their gun.
then shop in "your waifus fan club" or something like that on them.

Fucking disgusting half hearted quitters
>>
>>27907584
>Implying I give a fuck about the fandom
>>
>69 / 18 / 45 / 3 [Update] [Auto]
You are disgusting
>>
File: dwvTzJlO_400x400.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
dwvTzJlO_400x400.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
>>27907584
it should
>>
>>27907584
I hope so
>>
File: RagingHorsecock.gif (2 MB, 540x303) Image search: [Google]
RagingHorsecock.gif
2 MB, 540x303
>>27907584
Nope
>>
7 will be the last. you heard it here first folks
>>
>>27909643
>Implying Saddle Side Review wasn't the best episode of the entire series
>Probably started watching the show during Season 3
A Canterlot Wedding was actually when the show and fandom took it's first major turn (as long as you don't count the Derpy meta-fiasco). I miss my batshit crazy ponies and the longer you watch, the less sensitive to the cute you become because that was probably the most new/unique element you were drawn too. "I've never felt a joy like this before" etc etc like a marriage after the honeymoon, doesn't mean you stop loving your wife, unless it's been several years and you really can't get along anymore, then maybe it's actually time to move on. You don't have to let go of your memories if you do, it just means it'll be easier for you to make new memories that might be even better.

>>27909734
Season 6 really hasn't been bad, I'm sorry if you feel that way. It's basically half-awesome, quarter-meh and quarter-shit-tier, not much different than any season. In fact, how many times have you rewatched Season 1 this season? It's not the show, it's you.

That said, I know how you feel because that was me during season 4 when I couldn't help but feel like the fandom was 'falling apart' and I was having life problems, but towards the end of season 4, I found that spark again and I'm still riding this ride as hard as she'll ride. See you guys in next week's thread.
>>
Every so often, I'd go into hot topic just to look at merch just to see how shit is doing. Seems like there's less and less MLP merch everytime. At one point, there were a shit ton of T-shirts and everything, then there'd be a select few shirts and a couple bumper stickers, trading cards and the comics, then later all I could find were a few cards, and now literally no MLP merch in the hot topics nearby, FYE has more MLP merch.

Feels like an end of an era.
>>
File: large4.png (668 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
large4.png
668 KB, 1280x720
>>27907636
The Glory Days ain't behind me as long as I'm alive! I haven't been apart of this ride for long, but I'm gonna make it one helluva journey. The Glory Days will come back again once more!
>>
>>27913827
False.
If I'm screaming still, it's either fucking far away from the end, or you have a fucking pharmacy-stock of stimulants. In which case I would be breaking my own bones to get me free.

And in either case you would get bored rather quickly. Hacksaws suck for anything larger than a small dog.

Plus, I has to be capitalized.

Ashes to ashes, shitpost to shitpost, I guess, you didn't even bother to add anything.
>>
>>27914345
>I haven't been apart of this ride for long.
Then your opinion on anything FIM isn't worth shit.
>>
>>27908608
>late 2011
>missed golden age
holy shit lol how old of a fag do you want to get? /b/ shitpost era?
>>
>>27914345
I hope to see this /) bro hoof
>>
>>27915120
(\~
>>
>>27913794
I did start watching at season 3, but I also had the knowledge for the longest time that people got disenfranchised at season 3, and at the time, they considered it BY FAR, the worst season. Nothing about it felt that off though, and the only thing that majorly changed the series was Twilicorn, which happened at the end of the season. Changing her character so greatly brought it down for me, In a way that no amount of shitty cartoon writers and Lebin shitty product placements could ever. I realize it wasn't the first, but through thinking for myself, I believe that Twilicorn was the only thing that matters in terms of show quality.
>>
>>27907636
This. It's not dying, but the explosion it had is gone, and isn't coming back. A lot of the content creators are gone or tiring out, and there are less new people who are actually trying to do things. I think it's just a case of tiring out, though it won't be dead.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.