[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which theme have better episodes: Adventure or Slice of life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
File: UpxKcIy.png (701 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
UpxKcIy.png
701 KB, 1366x768
Which theme have better episodes: Adventure or Slice of life?
>>
>>27887284
Pony
>>
>>27887284
Depends on the characters in the show.
>>
>>27887284
Slice of life to be honest
>>
>>27887284
Adventure. If I wanted to watch SoL I could watch generic moe animu #2633
>>
>>27887284
gauntlet of fire was Great.

Honestly, both adventure and slice of life have their place; its not about "Adventure" OR "Slice of life", but rather just "quality."

I'd like to see more adventure episodes, but its kind of hard since twilight is the only one really suited to this sort of thing due to power creep.
>>
>>27887284
slice of life, but only because the show has consistantly proven they don't know how to do adventure at fucking all. For fantasy you need a narrative that's more consistant than the garbage they constantly feed us. mlp is only watchable because of the team and the team doesn't exist in adventure episodes; just twilight twilighting things with alicorn bullshit.
>>
>>27887284
The adventure episodes can be hype as fuck but SoL is the show's bread and butter so it makes up most of the best episodes.
>>
File: Cute Pinkie Pie happy.png (199 KB, 386x544) Image search: [Google]
Cute Pinkie Pie happy.png
199 KB, 386x544
>>27887284
Slice of life, those are the funniest and cutest episodes too.
>>
Honestly, we really haven't had a proper adventure episode since Twilight's kingdom.
>>
File: twilight's kingdom 7.png (860 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
twilight's kingdom 7.png
860 KB, 1280x720
They both have their highs and lows. Personally, I think the season one episodes were best for SoL, while any adventurous episodes are best written by Meghan Mccarthy.
>>
>>27887550
What about the last Spike episode?
>>
>>27887557
Larson wrote return of harmony and The cutie mark map, both some of the most beloved Adventure episodes in the series.
>>
File: 639153.png (1 MB, 1024x1280) Image search: [Google]
639153.png
1 MB, 1024x1280
>>27887284
My subjective taste makes me generally have more appreciation for the types of things they focus on in slice of life episodes. It also has me especially appreciate the themes in Apple Bloom episodes. Every one of them are very enjoyable to me so far, even though people here like to dismiss any attempt at discussion for them with words like "forgettable" and "boring".

I don't want to discourage show discussion, but I think it's beyond retarded to say an episode's objectively great or shit because you like or don't like the main character or what they're doing. It makes this "show discussion" a real chore, when people remove personal taste or reasons from the equation and try to force some kind of hive-mind "census".
>>
>>27888060
I guess we'll never see fillies in an adventure episode...
>>
>>27888332
>Somepony to Watch Over Me
>>
File: Hotwings.jpg (18 KB, 262x192) Image search: [Google]
Hotwings.jpg
18 KB, 262x192
I don't know, but hotwings would tip the scales.
>>
>>27888414
Kinda, but it is pretty much SoL yet
>>
>>27888878
because le happy merchants ate all the hotpockets.
>>
>>27887367
Generic moe animu are mostly SoL you faggot
>>
File: SMOOCH THE CUTE.png (352 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
SMOOCH THE CUTE.png
352 KB, 1280x850
>>27887505
This guy gets it. Not only was it a good adventure episode, it also brought us a new waifu.

New waifus are always a good thing.
>>
>>27887546
They are the least memorable and pretty much a waste of animation since everyon forgets about them right after the premiere.
>>
File: 1379023911604.jpg (46 KB, 566x480) Image search: [Google]
1379023911604.jpg
46 KB, 566x480
>>27889906
>reading comprehension
>>
>>27887292
underrated post
>>
slice of adventure
>>
File: cowboy-bebop-noir[1].jpg (34 KB, 400x299) Image search: [Google]
cowboy-bebop-noir[1].jpg
34 KB, 400x299
>>27887284
Slice of life adventures, obviously.
>>
>>27887284
Slice of life. Adventure type stuff tends to be held back by the TV-Y rating, but with slice of life the writers have a lot more freedom.
>>
Adventure. I love it when the show decides to go completely crazy.

SoL is needed as a palate cleanser, though.
>>
Both, but I'd like more Adventure stuff (particularly 2 parters) WITHOUT Twilight being more relevant than everyone else.
>>
>>27891222
Do you think that GOH will be Y7?
>>27892354
THIS.
but how the fuck you going to do that? Its like asking for the other characters in DBZ to be more relevent after Super saiyan bullshit started happening.
Twilight's been power creeped into being both stronger AND more versatile AND more intelligent/wise than all of the other 5 put together. Unless you pull out Power ups like that fake fan animatic to "reset" things back to square one, its hard to do. (and giving them all power ups runs into the same problem of making them all alicorns, old villains, sans discord or Tirek, will be too weak to threaten them)
>>
>>27892375
Uhh, what if the changelings got ahold of the powerups too?
>>
>>27892375
If I had the freedom of TV-Y7 it could easily be done.
>>
>>27892452
Then we've basically got power rangers with Ponies going on.
>>
>>27892375
Im not complexly sure why having older villains becoming a smaller threat as the character grow stronger is a bad thing. It show how far they've come since then, like when a boss monster ends up as a mook in a much later point of the game.

Still, if they did get power ups, I'd hope they would be more creative than just alicorning everyone. I've come up with many shit ideas, but I refuse to believe that Thunder God Rainbow Dash is one of them.
>>
I would love myself an adventure arc of 2-3 episodes.
With stand-alone episodes however, slice of life tends to be the better direction.
>>
>>27892465
That's pretty cool then.
>>
>>27892492
The animatic seemed closer to being like Mario, that's why people called it powerups.
>>
>>27892375
>how the fuck you going to do that?
By having more situations like The Cutie Map, where they can't just have Twilight solo the "boss" while her friends are distractions or damsels in distress.

Make situations where they have to use their skills to solve the problem. Rarity's connections or manipulations, Fluttershy's animal assistance, AJ's strength and clear-cut reasoning (simple answers to complex solutions when the convoluted fails), Pink's senses or gimmicks, Dash's mobility (also paired with her being a fighter much like AJ)...

Its not impossible. It doesn't need powerups or 1-shot supers to BTFO enemies.
>>
>>27892714
It is easy if you make a boss that requires a weak point to be revealed.

Then you can have an elaborate setup with the whole team, maybe have Rainbow Dash distract a monster from the sky so it trips over a ditch Spike created and then reveals its weak point for AJ to buck to oblivion.
>>
>>27887292
>>27890093
Good shills
>>
>>27887284
Adventure...
>>
>>27892714
This won't happen, Twilight sells pretty well
>>
>>27887284
Depends on the writing rather than the theme.
>>
>>27887284
Slice of life because the episode is a lie.
>>
>>27894742
No it isn't
>>
>>27892492
>Im not complexly sure why having older villains becoming a smaller threat as the character grow stronger is a bad thing

its a question of Escelation is the thing. If you have a world destroying threat like Tirek one season and you go adventure route with the mane six defeating him in a manner besides "auto-win Friendship beam because we can't beat him", then how do you top that next season?

You'll end up with a DBZ style situation where the villain's power and threats just keep getting more and more absurd, or you get a situation where the villain feels like a letdown compared to the previous season.

>>27893178
twilight sells "Well" but not more than 2 of the others put together: even if its the absolute least popular 2 of the mane six, their combined totals would still be more than twilight alone.
Twilight is a good character but its not like optimus is to Transformers in sales; RD and pinkie are right up there with her for example.
>>
>>27892714
>and clear-cut reasoning
Have you even fucking SEEN applejack's day off?! AJ is a retarded inbred redneck without twilight to tell her how to do shit.
>>
>>27887284
>Asks which is the better genre for episodes: adventure or slice of life?
>Posts a picture from a scene of an episode that barely has any exploration to it, therefore no adventure (I mean sure, Discord had to travel to places to find Tirek, but that was offscreen) and obviously is not slice of life.
>>
>>27887284
Whichever one has tits,
>>
>>27887284
my preference is for adventure. Slice of Life episodes don't always catch my interest, or convince me to watch them in full.
>>
>>27895597
>bugbear is defeated
>lyrabon and scratchtavia are not lesbians
>trololo is not dead
seriously?
>>
Adventure obviously
>>
>>27900213
>>trololo is not dead
fuck you for reminding me
>>
File: 1464001022725.png (946 KB, 1901x1063) Image search: [Google]
1464001022725.png
946 KB, 1901x1063
>>27887284
Some of my favourite moments in the whole show have been those well thought out comedy moments you get between characters. Slice of Life themed episodes IMO have the most of them, and have dialog that I can still quote to this day.

"Gee Rarity, did you remember to pack?"
"raritycatchme!. Wha? Pinkie AGHJKSFL"
"Only Twilight could make a dance remix about sweeping"
"It's widdle Rarity who's all saddy waddy"
"What's with the tin can? Uaaghhh"
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.