[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So who was the best "big bad" we've had? Who was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11
File: badniks.jpg (194 KB, 1026x912) Image search: [Google]
badniks.jpg
194 KB, 1026x912
So who was the best "big bad" we've had? Who was your favorite?

No, not counting Discord, Sunset, or Starlight
>>
it's discord
>>
>>27848357
Tirek. He got the closest, had the best plan.
>>
1. Discord
2. The dazzlings
3. Chrysalis
4. Tirek
5. Nightmare moon
6. Sombra
7. Starlight glimmer
8. Sunset shimmer
>>
>>27848357
If you aren't counting Discord because and the others because they've been reformed, go ahead and mark off NMM too.

I don't like Discord anyway, though.
>>
>>27848445
The Dazzlings would have won if the door was properly locked, check and mate.
>>
>>27848357
ONE OF THOSE IS NOT CANON
>>
>>27848357
Tirek
Dazzlings

It's not like those three were of any value.
>>
>>27848468
Eh, also partially I'm not counting Discord because he never really screamed "evil" I guess to me, more a chaotic neutral guy

Also the reason I kept NMM is cause I've always seen her as a separate entity to Luna in a way, it just seems that way from how the characters refer to her....like NMM is viewed as like a possessed Luna or something rather than just Luna
>>
>>27848357
Tirek nigga.
>>
>>27848357
Chrysalis, I think. Would have won had she either 1. not taunted Twilight into blasting randomly or 2. teleported her elsewhere down there.

Also, she is damn entertaining in the comics.
>>
>>27848522
The door was locked

Although, I've never heard of a door that locks from the inside and not the outside...what kind of fucked up school is this?
>>
Tirek was the only one who was actually evil. Sombra might have been but we don't really know much about him.
>>
>>27848522
>The Dazzlings
Only canon villains. We can't start including fanfic tier shit.
>>
>>27849973
>enslaved the populace
>would have gone to use his mind controlled soldiers to attack equestria
How is that not evil?
>>
>not counting Discord
You what, mate?

Tirek got the closest. He's big and he's bad. So yeah, him.
Sombra goes next just for being fancy.
NMM and Q.Chrysalis are not actually "evil".
>>
>>27849997
We don't really know his motives. Maybe he was doing all that shit for some noble reason or something. Tirek, on the other hand, just wanted to kill ponies.
>>
>>27850004
>we don't know his motives
They made a comic about that
>inb4
The royal sisters book or the crystal heart spell forgot which one confirms the comic as canon
>>
>>27850038
Comics aren't canon, anon.
>>
File: 1459061720736.png (42 KB, 633x377) Image search: [Google]
1459061720736.png
42 KB, 633x377
>>27849975
Dazzlings have a better backstory than any of the show original villains, desu.

The others are all pretty generic concepts aside from Chrysalis, who, we know nothing about her species even still. Meanwhile the sirens are actually really cool concepts that go back to the mythological setting the show started with

So...if it's "fanfic tier" shit, it's better than any fanfic I've read and better than any of the villain origins in the show, so you're really saying you hate the show.

Also, you're autistic, EQG is canon.
>>
>>27848357
Who's that in the bottom right?
>>
>>27850044
Only fans of the fandom believe this.
>i dont watch/read x media cause im not a true fan
>ITS NOT CANON, ONLY THE EPISODES I WATCHED BEFORE S3 ARE CANON AND NOTHING ELSE
>ALSO IM HERE FOR MEMES GUYS PLS LOL IRONICALLY LIKING THINGS IS KEWL
>>
>>27848357
Tirek and discord, sombra is good
>>
File: 1465988065434.jpg (62 KB, 422x510) Image search: [Google]
1465988065434.jpg
62 KB, 422x510
>>27850094
>original director leaves
>hacks throw together third party expansions
>"it's canon!"
no it's shit
>>
File: 1466501720181.png (71 KB, 289x207) Image search: [Google]
1466501720181.png
71 KB, 289x207
>>27848357
Nightmare and Sombra probably have the best backstories, but Tirek was the one who got the furthest. Too bad he's a totally bland character (although, Sombra wasn't much better on this front). I would have like to see more about Chrysalis and the changelings, but I have no idea how the show would handle them and that kind of keeps me from wanting that too much.

>>27850094
>This entire post
>Everyone I don't like is a fan on the fandom
Do you even think before posting?
>>
>>27850432
>I would have like to see more about Chrysalis and the changelings

S6 finale
>>
A villain needs backstory, motivation and style.
A villain needs to be threatening but not so over-the-top powerful that the only way to beat them is through pure bullshit.
The audience should be able to relate to the villain in some way or at least sympathize.

Sombra is a shit villain for obvious reasons.

Tirek just wants power for the sake of power, and he's pretty unlikable. Or I thought he was ugly, which amounts to the same thing.

Starlight Glimmer went off the deep end because her childhood friend left her. This literally happened to me and I have yet to become a supervillain. Maybe I just lack magic.

Most of what we think we know about Chrysalis is from comics or fanon and has almost no bearing on the show. However, it does seem like she refers to her swarm as her "children" so it seems like she at least has the motivation of caring for her extended family. The nearly all black design is a bit edgy but the concept of shapeshifters in a society that runs on harmony could be so much more insidious if the writers wanted it to be. Chrissy for second place.

Nightmare moon is a bit of an edgelord what with the DARKNESS and all, but her clearly explained and deep rooted desire to find a place in the world as a ruler of Equestria out of her older sister's shadow gives her the deepest motivation. I also like her intentionally maleficent-esue design. Not the most original, but still the best villain.

No Discord allowed.

Do the Dazzlings even count as villains? If someone had just punched one of them in the throat for being an obvious dick the movie would have been over before it started, but instead it's "oh we can only defeat them through the medium of high school faculty approved competition even if the world hangs in the balance"
>>
>>27850552
>If someone had just punched one of them in the throat for being an obvious dick the movie would have been over before it started, but instead it's "oh we can only defeat them through the medium of high school faculty approved competition even if the world hangs in the balance"

Not really, since they possessed the power of mind control essentially first of all...punching them would just make whoever did it seem like the asshole considering others didn't know they were being manipulated and you'd sound like a psychopath if you tried to explain "No, you don't understand! You really DIDN'T like them, they were evil! I had to punch them!"

Yeah, it'd be Canterlot Wedding all over again pre Chrysalis being a show boat. In fact this pretty much happened in the movie when they tried to explain to Celestia and Luna that the Dazzlings were using dark magic
>>
>>27850367
Is this shitty image supposed to mean anything to me? I don't play shitty games designed for people who's main source of nutrition is Cheetos and Gamer Fuel
>>
>>27848357
High tier
Tirek and Chrysalis,Discord(mostly for great performance, great designs)
mid tier
Nightmare moon
Low tier
Sombra, all of Eqg """villain"""

I still think Glimmer was the best on theme villain though
>>
>>27848445
He's a big guy.
>>
>>27850084
What fucking backstory? you're hilarious
>>
File: 12894068481.gif (2 MB, 230x175) Image search: [Google]
12894068481.gif
2 MB, 230x175
>>27850084
>EQG is canon
>>
>>27848357
Best in theory is Chryssi
Best in practice is Discord
everyone else is hot steaming fucking garbage.
>>
>>27849969
that's a thing in most of cartoons, magical doors that can be opened only from one side
>>
>>27852064
>What fucking backstory?

They were magical fish horses who used their dark music based magic to create conflict and feed off negative energy and turn ponies into their willing slaves

Fans of the fandom really need to kill themselves
>>
>>27848525
>>
>>27848357
>>27848525
One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?
>>
Nightmare Moon by far.
>>
>>27848357
>Not allowing Starlight Glimmer or Discord
T-thanks for making it hard for me to choose OP.
>>
>>27848357
1.Starlgiht
2.Discord
3.Tirek/Queen Chrysalis
4.Nightmare Moon

others are not even worth mentiong
>>
>>27850084

>better backstory

Sure, they are the second best comedic villian in the show, but not a big deal after all if some butthurt unicorn can defeat them
>>
File: 495735.jpg (246 KB, 1208x1024) Image search: [Google]
495735.jpg
246 KB, 1208x1024
>>27848357
Nightmare Moon was by far the most interesting, with her mythological-ish backstory and being Celestia's sister. She adds something interesting to the Luna we see today, remembering that the princess is the villain, only she has gotten over her envy and inferiority complex.

Chrysalis was cool for being a planner and not just an outright destroyer who relied on brute force, and having a design that isn't just evidently evil but downright monstrous. And she bested the mane 6 while the day had to be saved by someone else.
And personally, doppelgangers scare the shit out of me.

Tirek was good for being a villain who was competent and came really fucking close to realizing his goal, but besides that he was pretty meh. His battle against Twilight was over-the-top and fun, but I don't know if that's really a plus for him as a character.

Sombra was evil as fuck, but ultimately not all that interesting. He was more of an object than a character. We saw very little of him and what we saw had no personality and was even formless and vague. It didn't work well for me.

The Dazzlings are evil popstars. Enough said.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.