[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I made a Pony based D&D home brew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: O&O.png (423 KB, 690x331) Image search: [Google]
O&O.png
423 KB, 690x331
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xSeVRpxV1QbJ593GRda-LwIqzJ_inBAt5h0fk3pnViE/edit?usp=sharing

What do you guys think? Unbalanced? OP? UP? What feats or new spells should I add?
>>
File: 1447032074917.png (1 MB, 1372x1126) Image search: [Google]
1447032074917.png
1 MB, 1372x1126
No one has any comments?
>>
>>27635528

Next time don't use a pic of the MLP comics. Everyone hate and ignore that shit
>>
>>27635545
It was just a relevant image. I actually thought it was fanart. I haven't read the comics since that mirror world debacle.
>>
>>27635528
Try focusing attention on specific things in it next time. Just throwing up a big doc is tl;dr for most people unless it's lewd greens or something.
>>
>>27634592
Alright, here we go.
>-1 CON, -1 WIS, +2 CHA
Bruh, D&D hasn't had negative score modifiers since 4E. How about you make them have a +1/+2 in their subrace and a +1 into any other stat of their choosing.
>Ponies speak Sylvan and Common
Sylvan is probably what the breezies speak, and not everyone speaks their language. Also, it was right in front of you but you didn't choose Celestial and Common. Congrats.
>Unicorns are proficient in Arcana, History, and Religion
Why? If you asked Vinyl Scratch who Star Swirled the Bearded was, she probably wouldn't know. Use the variant rule as the official one.

That's pretty much it, although I skimmed the exotic races.
>>
>>27635747
Thanks for the feedback.

As for your first point, I didn't actually notice that no official races have negative score modifiers. That's interesting and I might need to redo this to be consistent with that. I think the way I have it set up works, but I strove for consistency everywhere else. Kinda bums me out though to be honest, I liked balancing the negatives with positives.

>Languages
I think I might go with Equish and Common instead. I wanted to introduce as little new material and keep this as lightweight as possible but new languages aren't too bad, I hope.

>Unicorn skills
Note that it's ONE of those, not all three. I bet Vinyl knows a good deal of music history, but 5e is not that specific.
>>
>>27635747
Ok, so I added in Variant Rules that don't use negative stat modifiers
>>
never played fifth edition so cannot justly comment but since it is a related thread i reckon i would ask.

was there ever a fourth edition dnd mlp modification?
>>
Thought you might wanna see this, OP.
http://cheezedoodle96.deviantart.com/art/MLP45E-Dungeons-and-Dragons-With-Ponies-490872927
>>
>>27634592
Seems slow and shit in practice. Have you ever playtested this thing?
>>
>>27635545
I know why I hate that image specifically, there are two of the same dice.
>>
>>27638598
I saw it, but I don't like a lot of what they did. race based class restrictions, too much fanon stuff, ect.

And overall it's too heavy, too much to introduce to new players. I also wanted something setting agnostic.

>>27638892
No, but I tried to be as consistent with the races from 5th edition's PHB as possible. The game itself is still 5th edition, this is just a race homebrew. I'm not sure how that would slow things down.

>>27638186
I'm not sure. There's several for 3.x and Pathfinder, and a few for fifth. Most D&D players didn't like 4th, so it doesn't get a lot of homebrew love.
>>
>>27634592
I once played a unicorn warlock in 5e just using ponyfinder and the conversion to 5e rules that came out for it. Had a fae pact with a sun deity and was the only pony in the group. The part was stuck in ravenloft, shit was fun.
>>
>>27640771
the whole party was stuck, sorry.
>>
>>27634592
Speaking as someone who has DM'd a few 5e campaigns, I've got a few comments and suggestions.

Stats: I'll stick to the variants for this as they're most similar to 5e. Most of these seem fine, if a bit arbitrary.
>Changelings, +1 CHA
It feels like you've gimped pegesi a bit too (only +1 CHA for variant? A bit harsh, don't you think?). Also, if all pony variants get another +1 CHA anyway, why not just include it in the races general stat-line.

Proficiency: These mostly come from the classes the players choose, not the races. Like >>27635747 said, Vinyl (a bard) wouldn't know jack about Starswirl, whereas Twilight (a wizard) would. Most ponies are free to choose their own path, so proficiencies would be based
on their own experience rather than anything racial. Compare that to a Changling who might be forced to learn stealth/deception due to its nature as a parasitic species. As a variant, you could have ponies have a 'free' proficiency, related to their cutie mark.

As for the rest, it looks alright. The +4 proficiency bonus from the start for variant for Ponies seems a bit strong to me (you don't get that shit 'til level 9) but that's something you can sort out through play testing.
>>
>>27641144
For the races that get flight I did make their ability score bonus lower. Flight is not something many get access to for free.

As for the skill thing, I see what you mean. I might make these more like the dwarf stonecunning and be more situational. That might also be the way to do the +4 proficiency thing (only applies when the Cutie Mark is relevant)
>>
>>27634592
Nice work, Anon. Always fun to see homebrews.
>>
>>27641182
The flight thing is very true, but there is a precedent. Look up Aarakocra from Elemental Evil Players Companion; flight, but only with no or light armour.

The situational proficiencies sounds pretty good. Earth ponies with a Nature (Crops) proficiency or the like as an example.
>>
>>27641268
Every DM I've had has banned the Avarakocra
>>
>>27642786
I tried them out last campaign. They're not as broken as they appear, but they can be a handful at lower levels, what with just flying out of reach of things and the like. So long as someone in an encounter has a ranged attack of some kind, or it's indoors, they're doable.

I don't imagine that would be as big a problem in an Equestrian campaign though, what with every other species either having magic or flight.
>>
>>27634592
Get rid of the pony stat block and just do the subraces.

Give every race a +2 to something, a +1 to something else, and if you really feel the need give monstrous races a negative cha.

>Destiny Bond
This just seems bad and pointless. Instead, why not "Pick a skill or tool, you get 1 inspiration die (d6) a day when using it. This die grows as (bards inspiration ability)

>Stout
Redundant because Quadruped. Also I don't like the name because it implies short and wide like dwarves. Call it Tough And say they get 2 extra HP a level, or have unarmed attacks 1 size category larger than normal, or something like that.

>Horn Hand
Just say they can act as though they have hands, and they can use their hands at 30 feet. They can't cast other spells while holding something.

Everything else mostly looked fine, though I didn't care to look at the monster races.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.