[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why tell a Pony you just met you were evil and almost doomed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: spa.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
spa.png
1 MB, 1280x720
Why tell a Pony you just met you were evil and almost doomed Equestria?

Doesn't seem like a good way to go about making friends
>>
>>27569595
That's the point. She has no idea how to behave socially. That was LITERALLY the theme running through the whole episode.
>>
File: 1407447999312.png (89 KB, 397x397) Image search: [Google]
1407447999312.png
89 KB, 397x397
>>27569595
tell me anon, how do YOU make friends?
>>
>>27569595
>>27569631
This, basically.
She's so used to rule ponies acritcally, she has no idea how to interact normally with them.

See also her shunning of Heart Warming's eve: she wasn't even interested in the social aspect of the whole thing
>>
>>27569595
Because that way you completely avoid the 'world shaking reveal' later in the friendship.

Tell me, how often have you seen stories like this, where evil characters who are trying to be good make friends or relationships, only to somewhere down the line have it revealed that they used to be terrible, or did terrible things, and suddenly it all falls apart? It's always the same story "I didn't want to tell you because I was afraid of how you'd react", and then they find out, and their hiding it is proven justified, because they don't take it well.

Starlight wants to avoid all that, to circumvent the cliche just like how she kept trying to shut down the friendship moral in the season premier episode. She doesn't want a shocking reveal, she wants them to know who she is and what she is, and for her to like her anyway.

This is also there to show she simply doesn't understand social interaction, that you don't have to lay everything out on the table as soon as you know them, as most people learn about others piecemeal over time, not learning it all in a big infodump, and certainly nothing so big or offputting. It's both sound logically, yet utterly stupid.
>>
File: 1372673288457.png (2 KB, 142x138) Image search: [Google]
1372673288457.png
2 KB, 142x138
>>27569631
>>27569675
It's not really about social behavior though, is it?
She knows what she did was wrong and she's shown not to be proud of it. She didn't want to mention it at all to Sunburst. Whilst she may have trouble fitting in, she knew enough to know it's not really a good thing to mention, so why do it so casually at the spa?
>>
>>27569724
Because they have nothing else in common. The whole episode tried to tell you they're friends, but what did they even do during that fade to black? That's one of the reasons that episode isn't all that good, what did they do after the spa? Did they share how they were evil? Did they joke about it? The whole thing is flat because all it bothers to do is say they're friends now. Fucking hate when peole ignore the show don't tell.
>>
File: 1366552885369.png (357 KB, 557x648) Image search: [Google]
1366552885369.png
357 KB, 557x648
>>27569761
>Because they have nothing else in common
Starlight didn't even know they had something in common when it was mentioned, did they?
She just seems to have blurted it out despite knowing it's not really a good thing
>>
File: 1448946842416.png (170 KB, 500x296) Image search: [Google]
1448946842416.png
170 KB, 500x296
>>27569595
She has autism like most of the Twilight clones
What did you expect
>>
>>27569869
She's already shown she knows it's not something to be proud of and just tell others
>>
>>27569861
That's the point. They're whole friendship is based off of a plot point, and instead of actually showing them bonding and becoming friends. It's simply much easier to say "they're friends now, deal with it"
>>
>>27569724
>She didn't want to mention it at all to Sunburst
Cause Sunburst knew her.
It's easier to mention your faults when it's with someone you don't know, than with a friend
>>
>>27569934
Easier perhaps, but why mention them at all from the getgo?
>>
>>27569595
Starlight is actually mad that her evil plot had almost null effect in the world and deep down she wanted some recognition
>>
>>27569960
Because, as I said, there are no implications with strangers. You don't expect them to be your friends, so there's no harm in mentioning a thing of her past. It was basically random chit chat, to prove the point that besides the whole "enslaving a bunch of ponies" thing, she didn't really had much to tell about her life.

Which is also the reason why she was so nervous with Sunburst: a good friend she probably had a crush onto while younger, and all she had to tell about her life was "uh, yeah, I was so shocked about you leaving me that I decided cutie marks where devil incarnate"
>>
>>27570056
*were
>>
>>27570056
I guess, I thought she was uncomfortable with her past as a whole though really. At least, that's how she appeared in the Premiere, but not so much in No Second Prances for some reason.
It does seem a bit much to tell for random chit chat, but I suppose when you consider she actually didn't have much else to talk about it fits.
>>
>>27570056
That makes no sense. If you kill someone and go to jail, and after X amount of years you're released. You do not start a conversation like "Hi I'm Rob, I went to jail for killing people, what's you're name." If people aren't immediately backing away from you, then they went to jail for doing something far worse than you.
>>
>>27569595
> DT reforms
> Starlight reforms
Who's next
Fingers crossed for Chrysalis
>>
>>27570097
ah yes, because characters in the show always talk exactly like reasoned real life humans and cartoon logic never applies

you never seen a villain be really casual about their evildoings for comical value in a cartoon before?
>>
>>27570097
You're talking about extremes, what Starlight did was bad, sure, but not as unforgivable (and unfixable) as killing somebody.

Think of her previous interactions with the friends of her friends (Big Mac and Mrs Cake): in both cases, she had ponies with definite features she couldn't adapt with (i.e. Mrs Cake being a good cook without the use of magic, and Big Mac being not very talkative), and in both cases she ended up resorting to her previous method of projecting her will onto others (she even mentioned it).

That's why she befriended Trixie: she might not be powerful as she boasts, but her ego prevents all kinds of submission. TL:DR she needed a pony with a back (or an ego) strong enough to handle her
>>
>>27570039
I recognize that she was sexier when she was evil.
>>
>>27570159
Thanks for proving my point that Trixie's and Glimmer's friendship only exist because of a plot point
>>
>>27570168
Really I think trying to rewrite history because one of the beloved Hero's of the nation stop your evil plan resulting in a worse possible future is way worse than killing someone.
>>
>>27570212
why else would it exist? this is a cartoon show, things happen for plot reasons
>>
>>27570232
So cartoons can't have well thought out plots? I wouldn't care if they showed Trixie and Glimmer bonding, but they didn't.
>>
>>27570224
It would have been worse if she had accomplished it. But she realized the error of her ways and stepped back, even getting forgiveness from her previous subjects.

Again, it's all a matter of her unability to get proper social interactions. I've met people like those, guys who tell you out of the blue, a couple minutes after you've met them, that they (dunno) once fucked the cardboard box of a dictionary tied to a chair and refitted with freezer parts (I am not making this up). It's all about their need to prove that their ego is strong and that they care about your opinion, but also that you have to accept some aspects of their personality
>>
>>27570290
She a cult leader, she has proper social interactions otherwise no one would have joined her cult in the first place. You would have ground to stand on if she was acted like that during S5. She isn't afraid to talk to people, she afraid that they'll know who she is, what she's done. That's way she was afraid to see Sunbrust. That's why it so weird for her to just bring it up as an ice breaker when anyone else would've just walked away.
>>
>>27569595
She'd more or less lost hope at that point and figured she'd talk to the first person interested in listening.
>>
File: shits_and_gigs.jpg (61 KB, 480x415) Image search: [Google]
shits_and_gigs.jpg
61 KB, 480x415
>>27569595
I know I'd do it for shits and giggles.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.