[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dave Rapp's Guide To A Successful Writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 18
File: s6 in a nutshell.jpg (173 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
s6 in a nutshell.jpg
173 KB, 1280x1440
>ignore the established character personalities
>ignore the background stories and motivations of everyone
>in fact, just ignore completely the general tone of the show and act like the show you're writing for is your own show
>make something cringeworthy the central topic of the episode, so you can pretend that the only reason someone could dislike your episode is because he "can't take some banter"/"is a neet freeloader"/whatever
>enjoy your episode being praised by people who (likely only) liked it because "the amount of butthurt"
>???
>profit
>>
I actually liked the episode because Fluttershy wasn't a complete pushover for once. But the butthurt was like the icing on the cake
>>
>>27564085
that pretty much fits every green in every thread if you add in this line
>have a random faceless human show up and dick all the characters
>>
>>27564094
Same here. It was great seeing Fluttershy actually asserting herself without anyone telling her and it reminded me of why I was a flutterfag when I first joined this ride
>>
>the show is not go how I expected
Grow up, the show is for little girls, not for you or for me, enjoy or get out, is that simple
>>
>>27564085
No more like:
>Take a great story idea
>Ruin it with cringe humor and bring the protagonist down to the lowest point
>>
>>27564193
More like:

>take a great idea
>add in a cringe comedy protagonist to make it even better
>trigger the plebs while giving the patricians lols at the episode and lulz at the anal devastation exhibited by the plebs

I really like Dave.
>>
>>27564085
At least it succeeded in driving his message home I can see!
Enjoy the pain in your butt.

The episode was 100% in character and pretty funny.

What you are suggesting is making episodes with no conflict or character development whatsoever until the end of times.
>>
>>27564205
But in the view of many that would be bad writing.
>>
>>27564085
I'm not going to comment on David's writing, but what I will comment is on how I don't really see on how generating butthurt contributes to an episode.
>>
>>27564238
What you are saying is the show had no conflict or character development whatsoever until Dave Rapp started writing. If that was your opinion, why did you watch the first 120+ episodes?
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 245x175) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 245x175
>>27564241
>But in the view of many that would be bad writing
>based the opinion of much people to said that something is shit
You know a huge group outside us, said that this show is a piece of shit, but that isn't true, right?, the opinion is pretty subjective, if you based you opinion in the one of a huge group you're a mindless pleb, without self opinion, and is pretty sad
>>
>>27564257
The butthurt makes it impossible to criticize seriously any flaw in the episode, for people will assume you're just butthurt. Tumblr logic, "you hate me because I'm a woman, misogynist scumbag" is now "you hate the episode because you're butthurt, pathetic loser."
>>
>>27564331
>Tumblr logic
Oh the boggieman of the internet, come on kid we star again, now like a rational adult
>>
>>27564330
>a huge group outside us, said that this show is a piece of shit
Let me guess, you started watching the show because "a huge group outside us" hated it, so now you like these "massive butthurt" episodes because some other people hate them.
You know having a self opinion isn't the same as enjoying other people's hatred because that makes you feel like a special snowflake, right?
>>
>>27564177
>the show is for
The whole family. It wasn't intended to be a Wheels On The Bus go on a loop for five hours while mommy and daddy have emotional breakdowns and want to tear their bloodshot eyes out.
>>
>>27564281
Are you seriously saying that?
Everytime their is a little character development in this show, the butthurt minority is shitting everywhere!

It's not Dave Rapp, it's more of a community problem.
Wanting to stay comfortable in theirs littles headcanons.
>>
>>27564355
Sorry Miss, are you triggered?
>>
>>27564330
You are intentionally making something unappealing to an audience that enjoys your work, that alone sounds like a bad idea generally unless you're trying to make a point.
>>
>>27564385
Not that anon, but cite some other examples.
>>
>>27564391
The point is avoiding criticism. Period.
>>
>>27564385
How does that relate to the OP? Twilight's wings were meant to make fun of someone or am I missing something?
>>
>>27564331
Not the anon you replied to, but even if you ignore the cringe (I've seen worse) and the slapstick (I grow up watching T&J) Newbie Dash was a shit episode.
>The jokes weren't funny.
>The plot was a mess.
>Both the cringe and the slapstick happen not because of a joke, but because Dash traumatic flash back from being bullied, so there was no way any sane person would laugh at any jokes made in the episode.
>The moral of the episode was "LOL it was just a joke, don't take it so srsly XD"
>Oh and just because you're the main character of the show, you;re still a wonder bolt despite endangered not only yourself, but also your squadmates, and the general public.

If the cringe and slapstick were nothing but jokes then it would've been fine, but they weren't.
>>
>>27564407
So like Phil Fish?
>>
File: sh-what?.jpg (33 KB, 224x423) Image search: [Google]
sh-what?.jpg
33 KB, 224x423
>>27564205
>saying "patricians" on /mlp/
>>
File: image.png (389 KB, 642x687) Image search: [Google]
image.png
389 KB, 642x687
>>27564372
>try to psychoanalysis me
Top kek, no anon, I like this cartoon, and I have a different point of view, is that all, is not so difficult to understand, well maybe the hive mild here makes some difficult for you
>>
>>27564579
Then I'm sorry and I take that back.
>>
>>27564085
It's pretty clear that he's taking shots at the adult fandom

>Newbie Dash
>Rainbow gets frustrated at being called something she doesn't like
>/mlp/ dislikes being called bronies

>Flutter Brutter
>Does it even need to be said?
>>
>>27564873
>/mlp/ is one person
>>
>>27564898
>/mlp/ doesn't have popular opinions
>>
>>27564873
>people are actually this paranoid
go take your meds
>>
>>27564916
>Speculation is paranoia
People often project their own insecurities on others, you know.
>>
>>27564938
>It's pretty clear that he's taking shots at the adult fandom
"It's pretty clear that he's taking shots at the adult fandom" is not speculation. Plus, if I'm of the position that poster's statement is ridiculous, why or how would I then be projecting those thoughts?
>>
>>27564085
>ignore the established character personalities
dash fucked up a lot before. most notably during sonic rainboom where she failed under pressure.
>ignore the background stories and motivations of everyone
youre going to have to specify.
>just ignore completely the general tone of the show and act like the show you're writing for is your own show
its like you think bullies have never been in the show, which in the end actually turned out to be a misunderstanding on dashs part. she could have spoken up sooner if she was bothered, like an adult would.
>make something cringeworthy the central topic of the episode
youre not supposed to be comfortable that shes doing something stupid. youre supposed to be bothered by it. which you were.
>enjoy your episode being praised by people who (likely only) liked it because "the amount of butthurt"
i enjoyed it because it had a pretty good moral, was told decently, and ended with dash maturing a little.

>>27564873
only newfags who try too hard to fit in dislike being called bronies.
>>
>>27564977
It's a bit extreme to assume I'm being 'paranoid', don't you think? I just saw a likely pattern and made an assumption about it.
>>
>>27564985
>youre supposed to be bothered watching my little pony
wew lad. enough said.
>>
>>27564205
>lols
>lulz
>anal devastation
>plebs
>>>/h/ighschool
>>>/r/eddit
>>>/b/
>>
>>27565043
Thinking it's "likely" is paranoia.
>>
>>27564873
That's overly specific. You might as well say that the average adult fan dislikes being called creepy or whatever. Besides, given the moral of the episode, would that mean that "we", /mlp/, are bronies, that "we", adult fans, are creepies, or what? It already was a shitty episode, there's no need to read further into it.
>>
>>27564085

Newbie dash was trash
But this week' ep was great because its the first time FS is not being a doormat and helping her parents to be less kind when its needed
>>
>>27564085
Rapp is the fucking worst, I can't believe the show has sunk even farther than it had.
>>
>>27564094
Agreed, the NEET buthurt was real.
>>
File: OP.jpg (67 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
67 KB, 800x800
>>27565161
BUZZWORDS BUZZWORDS BUZZWORDS
>>
File: jesus_with_dashie.jpg (147 KB, 500x659) Image search: [Google]
jesus_with_dashie.jpg
147 KB, 500x659
>>27564085
We looooong needed someone to overhaul this show. Dave is Jesus of mlp, without the jew part.
>>
File: 1449801291022.gif (143 KB, 600x520) Image search: [Google]
1449801291022.gif
143 KB, 600x520
>>27564205
Are you capable of making a statement without buzzwords?
>>
>>27565161
Well I could have tossed out words like schadenfreude, but I wanted to write a post on an intellectual level accessible to the mouthbreathing fools who don't enjoy Dave's episodes.
>>
>>27566691
>>27565161

Actually, here's the classy rewrite of my post:

More like:

>take a great idea
>add in a cringe comedy protagonist in the vein of Seinfeld and It's always Sunny in Philadelphia to enhance it
>the resulting episode is the perfect marriage of comedy and drama, and those who are able to see and enjoy this then get the added bonus of the schadenfreude of watching the people who either can't relate to the episode due to a lack of relevant life experience or strongly identify with a character who is there to be pilloried for the amusement of the audience become enraged and post incoherent rants on the imageboard they all browse together.

Dave is a fine fellow, and one whom I hold in the highest esteem.
>>
>>27564085
NEET Dashfags on total damage control
>>
>>27566782
While us non-NEET dashfags are just enjoying this impromptu internal purge of the worthless layabouts who don't deserve Dash.
>>
>>27566829
#neetlivesmatter
>>
>>27566829
>not-NEET
>dashfag
Kekarony
>>
>>27565161
>HEY GUISE! AM I FITTING IN NOW?!?!
>>
File: 1464127373084.png (313 KB, 499x481) Image search: [Google]
1464127373084.png
313 KB, 499x481
>>27566838
Stay mad NEET, not all of us are pathetic drags on society like you.
>>
>>27566838
If no dashfags are left.
Maybe Rainbow Dash will be free to be gay for once.
>>
>>27566920
I'm not a NEET, you are a dashfag, therefore , you are a NEET
>>
File: 357.jpg (52 KB, 552x472) Image search: [Google]
357.jpg
52 KB, 552x472
>>27564085
This EP was better because for once Fluttershy actually remembered 'oh yeah, I've learned to be assertive like 10 times now' and didn't roll over like a doormat with her Brother. In the end though it's just yet another Moondancer/Sunburst episode with cringe humor so not that great. No husbandos either

Newbie Dash was total dog shit and the whole 'lele you're just a loser NEET XXXDDDDDDDDD' comments probably make me hate the episode even more than I should. It's extremely autistic and you seriously like the episode only because 'it generated le ebin butthurt :)' then you need to re-evaluate your own life
>>
>>27566949
The NEET doth protest too much, methinks.
>>
File: 1398361047921.jpg (783 KB, 992x1304) Image search: [Google]
1398361047921.jpg
783 KB, 992x1304
>>27566978
>NEET dashfag trying to sound smart or memeing around with gay writting
Kekerony again memelord
>>
>>27564085
But today's episode was good: Dash's reactions were priceless, a good lesson for once and even Zef turned out to be likable.
>>
File: 1459008488430.jpg (89 KB, 1100x1113) Image search: [Google]
1459008488430.jpg
89 KB, 1100x1113
>>27567005
>gay writting
>Shakespeare is gay

Now I'm sure you're a NEET in denial.
>>
File: 1464764260608.jpg (59 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
1464764260608.jpg
59 KB, 500x409
>>27567023
>he believes he is shakespeare
>he believes he writes like shakespeare
>methinks at the end
>>
File: 1462246280066.png (399 KB, 829x584) Image search: [Google]
1462246280066.png
399 KB, 829x584
>>27564085
>Fluttershy has had at least 2 episodes where they have tried to make her stand up against people being pricks
>She finally stands up for someone, even if that isn't herself
>NEETs call Dave Rapp shit because they get triggered despite him actually following the continuity of the show unlike other writers
>>
>>27567066
>this dumbass didn't spot one of the best known quotes from Hamlet, one of Shakespeare's most famous plays

Act II, Scene III

Queen Gertrude: The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

It's spoken in reference to the behavior of the queen play within the play 'The Murder of Gonzago'.

Now I think you might actually just be underage, and thus not a NEET by virtue of still being in high school.
>>
File: 1464941577448.png (414 KB, 726x813) Image search: [Google]
1464941577448.png
414 KB, 726x813
>>27567104
> this
Well said
>>
>>27564085
Benevolent anon's guide to successful writing:
>Take into account the established character personalities and upgrade them from stereotypes to archetypes accordingly.
>ignore the background stories and motivations of everyone and keep improving them with fresh new motivations, stories catered to and then
>in fact, just ignore completely the pre-established tone of the show and act like the franchise you're writing for is your own very own original creation. Make it a magical high fantasy world with new horse mythos and a highly improved world design centered on deep /tg/ fairy folklore and stories.
>Think up a good non-cringey name for your new creation such as: Equestria: Art of Magic
>>
This guy made Rainbow Dash into a full on Wonderbolt in the first minute of an episode, then completely ignored it.

Faggots praise him because
>Are you mad? C-coz I'm not mad, n-no sir.

Granted the second episode was much better, but the first was shit.
>>
>>27567005
>>27567023
>>27567066
>samefag
>>
>>27564085
im not a fan of his episodes BUT

the wonderbolts episode was well made, it could be a lot worse tho the mental breakdown of RD was a bit much and the cringe was just pathatic banter

>Fluttershy ain't a pushover any more
Fluttershy finaly grew a pair after 4 episodes that made her more "determined" in her ways

we have actual character growth something we didn't have in quiet a while

tho if you're seriously butthurt about the neet you're the problem, you're the reason the episode had to ben made
>>
>>27567363
The first was not the best.
But who is beginning with its best work?
Give him some time to warm up.

Also it wasn't bad at all for a first episode.
The only thing bad was the fact I and lots of you were empathizing full force with Rainbow Dash. And yes, that made me uncomfortable.

We've had far worse for writers we now consider as the bests.
>>
>>27567382
To my horror as much as yours, nope.
>>
>>27564985
>only newfags who try too hard to fit in dislike being called bronies.
you sure bout that?
i certainly don't want to be called a brony for it would reveal to much cringe and i hide my shit like a jew his money

being called a Horsefucker ain't much better but i don't think most people would connect it instantly with mlp
>>
>>27567122
>shakespeare
>gay ass literature movement
>not vanguardism
Literally pleb-tier
>>
>>27567383
Flutter Brutter is a good episode that does one thing horribly wrong. Zephyr Breeze is so unlikeable that he ruins the episode.

The moral is good, Fluttershy is great, even the song was pretty nice, but if the protagonist is someone I despise and never want to see again then that kills it. Fluttershy is wasted because her growth is being applied on this douchebag.
>>
>>27567428
I don't consider him as a protagonist.
I don't know why I should try to like him.

So in that regard, this haven't been a problem for me.
>>
>>27567426
Nice try anon, but not recognizing a quote famous enough that it has it's own wikipedia article makes you unqualified to call anyone a pleb. (I'm assuming you're the same anon, if you aren't I apologize in advance)
>>
>>27567440
He is the one the episode focuses on the most and is the one who learns the lesson.
>>
>>27564422
That's not even the worst part of that episode.

Rainbow Dash finally became a Wonderbolt, that's a huge fucking deal. That should be the very climax of an episode, not a fucking cold open. Like a wise anon said before, imagine if in CotLM the CMC got their cutie marks in the very beggining and the rest of the episode revolved around them arguing which one had the best cutie mark.

That's "Newbie Dash" in a nutshell
>>
>>27567463
But that doesn't really mean he's supposed to be likeable. It was plainly obvious from the beginning the audience was supposed to be just as annoyed with him as everyone else, especially considering that the entire episode was viewed from Fluttershy's POV, not his.
>>
File: Disgust.png (607 KB, 866x644) Image search: [Google]
Disgust.png
607 KB, 866x644
>>27564985
>Actually defending this shit
>That style of "defending"

>fanboying autists in charge of taste and respecting their own show.
Not even once.
>>
>>27567463
Agreed, but he isn't the one taking the actions.
And he is clearly made to be laughed at.
I mean, who can keep a straight face looking at him living by himself in the wild?
Blaming a stick for being crappy and stuff.

This guy is not the focus, it's trying to fix the mess he is the real focus.
>>
>>27567464
Shh, it's character development and not shitty writing.
>>
>>27567494
Yes, but I don't even consider his redemption worthwhile.
>>
>>27567464
Yes but we already have wonderbolt academy.
And we really can't do anything better than rehash that if we keep your idea.

No I think choosing the angle of having some difficulties to integrate the team properly is clearly a nice idea.

The only problem with it is some of the execution making it needlessly cruel.
>>
>>27564094
>>27564164
>>27567383
Not OP, but yea you're all idiots.
>dick bunny bosses her around
>is friendly with a chaos lord who regularly messes with her friendship and once betrayed her
>willingly to house a group of fairy creatures for god knows how long off the fly
>let freeloading vampire fruit bats live off her friend
>angry dictator, equal chick actually had sway with Fluttershy

There's a difference between showing development and being a totally different character all together. Fluttershy is not Applejack or Rainbow Dash and can't be written as such. Flutterbutt was at her worst this episode. Even the meme hated breeze episode had her a thousand time more on mark than this.
>>
>>27564085
>>ignore the established character personalities
>>ignore the background stories and motivations of everyone
>>in fact, just ignore completely the general tone of the show and act like the show you're writing for is your own show

But neither Newbie Dash nor Flutter Brutter committed any of those sins.

Newbie Dash was a very relatable episode to people who have ever been in over their head and joined a team that was above the level they're used to, and Dash being nervous and insecure, as well as overcompensating in response to her own insecurities, is perfectly faithful to her previously established character. She has never been some unshakable rock, not even close actually.

Fluttershy has become more and more assertive as the show has gone on, and her putting her hoof down towards her freeloading brother is a very satisfying point in her overall character arc, especially considering she was doing it for the good of both him and their parents.

You're wrong, famm.
>>
>>27567570
Fluttershy is great in this episode, if anything her needing to be assertive is the result of her brother being such a colossal shit.

She puts up with way more of her brother's crap than ANY of us would, and very likely more than any of her friends would.
>>
File: 1464585135282.gif (490 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
1464585135282.gif
490 KB, 350x277
>>27567448
Wut
>>
>>27564085
>>so you can pretend that the only reason someone could dislike your episode is because he "can't take some banter"/"is a neet freeloader"/whatever

Sounds like Dashfags getting a taste of their own medicine to me
>>
>>27567559
I was talking about just this episode. Not the entire fucking series.
>>
>>27568186
I do mean this episode. Some fags are praising Fluttershy's actions to the moon but from what we're seen throughout the series none of her behavior with her brother is like her at all. It's like some other pony was wearing a Fluttershy suit.
>>
>>27569163
Exactly how people are feeling when they sees a shy person interact with its relatives.
>>
I'm convinced that people who think Fluttershy was OOC don't have siblings.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.