[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everfree Outpost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 24
File: 2015-05-30-signs.png (245 KB, 1918x1198) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-30-signs.png
245 KB, 1918x1198
I'm making a game about ponies getting lost in the woods.

http://play.everfree-outpost.com/

How to play:
>Use arrow keys to move, hold Shift to run
>Press Enter to type in the chat
>Press A to interact with objects such as trees, rocks, and anvils
>Press E to open inventory and assign items to the hotbar with 1-9. Press D in game to use the currently selected item.
>Use an anvil to craft items from raw materials. There is an anvil at spawn for getting started.
>Type /help to see a list of chat commands. Use /spawn if you get stuck.

The eventual goal is for this to play sort of like a cross between Minecraft and Golden Sun. It will be based partly on crafting and building things to expand the town, and partly on exploring the forest and solving Golden Sun-style puzzle-based dungeons for rare items and crafting materials.

This week: testing out some new physics code. Be sure to post in the thread if you notice any new bugs!
>>
File: ss (2016-05-22 at 03.35.36).png (2 KB, 71x112) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-05-22 at 03.35.36).png
2 KB, 71x112
Sock time!
>>
>>27435417
Just why?
Also your welcome for saving this thread
>>
>>27435823
Why not?
>>
File: signing in.jpg (2 KB, 63x74) Image search: [Google]
signing in.jpg
2 KB, 63x74
>>27435417
>>
File: 1358283480474.png (55 KB, 328x350) Image search: [Google]
1358283480474.png
55 KB, 328x350
>>
>All this time passed
>Still no PvP
>Not even PvE
u dun goof!
>>
File: wild rock.png (75 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
wild rock.png
75 KB, 1000x600
>>27435116
here is something new, I was walking northeast when I hit a rock and then I got stuck in it
moving left didnt help and I remember that we used to go around and object while moving in 2 directions
>>
>>27435116
the cursor (C) is still a bit below the character's sprite
>>
File: Ehhh......png (61 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Ehhh......png
61 KB, 1366x768
So, I am so lucky to see all these bugs.

It was all black at first, some odd pattern repeating in the middle of screen. I moved some, I see some green, same pattern in middle though.
>>
>>27437713
Seems better once you refresh. All is good now, it should be known that it happened at least.
>>
File: Blocked by nothing.png (165 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Blocked by nothing.png
165 KB, 1366x768
There is nothing blocking me, yet it is blocking me.
>>
File: weird line.png (101 KB, 1366x677) Image search: [Google]
weird line.png
101 KB, 1366x677
>>27437713
hey I saw that line too

ALSO:
>>27437033
the cursor isnt lower, our character is above the regular square/grid/whatever
there is some empty space when you interact with something from above like chests, anvils or tp that wasnt there before
>>
File: rare_cheri.png (3 KB, 130x92) Image search: [Google]
rare_cheri.png
3 KB, 130x92
The rare cheri, in it's natural habitat.
>>
File: UniPonk A Good.png (52 KB, 313x341) Image search: [Google]
UniPonk A Good.png
52 KB, 313x341
Thank you, based UniPonk
>>
>>27437968
new physics is messy
now is easier to get stuck under statues, fountains, beds or tables. Doesnt matter if you are inbetween 2 squares, when its placed you are stuck
>>
this looks really cute, and it look like its coming along nicely, OP. but I think Ill wait a while till there more complete content before I try it.
>>
>>27438858
As someone who's been playing for a good 10 minutes it's 10/10 already. Jump on in buddy boi.
>>
>>27438890
its 4:30 AM sorry
>>
I'm calling for princess op! I have a $3 webserver hosted via nfoservers and would like for you to assist in installing it as I am stuck at step one.

Thank you, I am eagerly awaiting your response.
>>
>>27438942
I mean installing the game files onto my webserver btw. Probably should have stated that.
>>
>>27437968
THIS
running in the wood is pretty hard when you get stuck on half of the rocks and trees
and lake/mountains corners too
>>
>>27437720
Thanks for the report. There's some sort of bug where the client doesn't receive your character's position properly, and puts the camera in the middle of empty space. The "odd pattern" is an unrelated (I think) rendering bug.

>>27437990
>hey I saw that line too
OK, interesting. I've only ever seen it in combination with the "black space" positioning bug.

When you moved around, did those gray lines stay in the same position relative to the trees (as in, they moved like they were part of the world), or were they in a fixed position on the screen?

>the cursor isnt lower, our character is above the regular square/grid/whatever
Yeah, I changed the character rendering a couple weeks ago, and I think I got some of the offsets wrong. It needs some other fixes as well, to prevent that weird "frankenstein" rendering bug.

>>27438530
Hmm, I thought I had it set up so you could at least move out of solid objects. I'll try and get that working a little better.

Seems like I'll be spending most of this week doing bugfixes and cleanup, instead of adding flight.

>>27438858
Maybe check back around October. By then it should be a lot more complete in terms of content (expanded crafting/tech tree) and gameplay (actual goals and challenges beyond building cool stuff).

>>27438942
I'll upload an up-to-date binary build in the morning and post instructions. It's a lot easier to use that than to build it all from source.

>>27439568
Part of that is a bug (getting caught when passing an obstacle diagonally), the other part is an intentional change (stopping when moving directly into a corner, instead of sliding to one side or the other). As for the intentional part, I'll change it back, since the new way does seem kind of annoying.
>>
This game is a roleplay fest.
Nonetheless it's fun and I do recommend it
>>
>>27439672
Can't we just use that F4 thing you added last update? The one where the game takes a screenshot or something?
>>
File: Amalgamate.png (3 KB, 92x97) Image search: [Google]
Amalgamate.png
3 KB, 92x97
This
>>
File: Amalgamates.png (13 KB, 326x199) Image search: [Google]
Amalgamates.png
13 KB, 326x199
There's more.
>>
File: shycave.png (230 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
shycave.png
230 KB, 1366x768
>>27439672
>did those gray lines stay in the same position relative to the trees (as in, they moved like they were part of the world)?

nope, they are in a fixed position on the screen and blinking (it took me 4 shots to get them)

>stopping when moving directly into a corner, instead of sliding to one side or the other
just like in the old times?

ALSO:
if you could make lakes to spawn more frequently and in smaller sizes it would be great
>>
>>27439944
Did the F4 thing, made a few heaps and zipped them up.

filedropper dot com slash outpostheaprendererrors

Hope this helps op, I got the lines again and just made heaps of different lines I had. No black screen this time though. All compressed.
>>
File: twilight sad.png (480 KB, 3000x3740) Image search: [Google]
twilight sad.png
480 KB, 3000x3740
> tfw your pull request goes completely ignored for 17 days
>>
this game broken as

everything is laggy and weird and my camera keeps skipping and my pone keeps stopping on my screen but actually keeps moving and suddenly jumps like 20 squares . everyone keeps disappearing and all kinds of stuff.

it feels like I have 2000 ping all the time but I dont.
>>
>>27439672
Thanks a ton. Please post the link here when you can. (For the game code and stuff)
>>
>>27442198
Sorry about that! Github didn't email me about it for some reason.

>>27442580
Here's the download: http://play.everfree-outpost.com/outpost-linux-2016-05-07d.tar.xz
Note you will need a VPS to run the game server. A web hosting plan won't support it.

It contains the files for both the client and the server. On the VPS, unpack the whole thing, then run the `bin/run_server.sh` script to start the server. (Run it under tmux/screen/nohup, since it doesn't daemonize on its own.) The client files (under www/) should go on the web server somewhere. You also need to edit www/server.json and change the websocket URL to point to the location of your actual server (instead of `localhost`).
>>
Made a small update to the server, which should fix the bug where ponies are invisible for a while after a teleport. I think this may also fix the black screen bug, so please post in the thread if you see that happen again.
>>
>>27435116
>No new graphics
>No new animations
>No centralized outpost and shops
>No monsters
>Nothing to add to the gameplay and world design
>Still afraid of the CnD when your game doesn't feature FIM ponies.

I don't think you're trying your best, m8.
>>
>>27443367
>No new graphics
>No new animations
I'm not very good at art, so these take me a long time to make. That means I usually spend my time on other parts of the project, where it's easier to get results.

>No centralized outpost and shops
If you mean NPC shops and buildings, I'm not planning on adding those. I do plan to add village wards, so that players can build their own villages with public infrastructure.

>No monsters
Assuming I stick with the current plan, I'll likely be adding some around October-November. They're not a high priority right now because there are other things I want to add that will be more beneficial to gameplay.

>Nothing to add to the gameplay and world design
Can't really argue with that at the moment.

>Still afraid of the CnD when your game doesn't feature FIM ponies.
What makes you think I'm afraid of a C&D?

>I don't think you're trying your best, m8.
I'm pretty happy with the amount of free time I'm putting into this project at the moment, keeping in mind that if I ever get burned out or lose interest, the project will basically die.
>>
>>27443619
Aw
>>
>>27443367
why would you want to include FiM ponies? thats a terrible idea.
>>
OP, could you link an example of music that you'd like to have in the game?
>>
File: crystal Meno.png (733 B, 48x48) Image search: [Google]
crystal Meno.png
733 B, 48x48
>>27443619
I found a new glitch, if you try to go down a stair but you only leave one (minimum reasonable) square you are stopped in the middle like if there is a structure in your path, BUT THERE ISNT
the floor tile counts as an obstacle only to get down but doesnt stop you when you go up

>picture unrelated
>>
>>27445492
Can you draw a diagram or something? I don't understand what you mean.

>>27444990
I don't have a particularly clear idea, but I think it would be good to have it sound a little bit "retro". Not 8-bit chiptune stuff, more SNES/GBA quality, to fit with the pixel art graphics. For concrete examples, look up the FF6 or Golden Sun soundtracks.
>>
File: Final_Picture_5_23_2016.png (217 KB, 1635x902) Image search: [Google]
Final_Picture_5_23_2016.png
217 KB, 1635x902
Final Picture
>>
We talked a bit about ghosts before I shut down the server, so here's the plan as of right now:

At night, ghosts will spawn near you and try to attack. They can't spawn in warded areas, and they avoid moving close to bright lights.

The can attack from range to drain energy (without energy, unicorns can't cast Light) or rapidly burn out torches and other light sources. If you run out of light sources, they can close in and attack to drain health instead. When your health runs out, you die, meaning you lose your items and respawn at home or the nearest village.

You can't attack ghosts directly, but light will drive them off, at least far enough they can't damage you. Torches work well but are stationary. Magic is slightly weaker, but moves with you. There will be a "Flash" spell/item that's bright enough to chase them off completely for a little while.

The spawn rate and attack power depend on what level area you're in. Higher level = more danger (but also more high-level crafting materials). Wards reduce the effective level of the surrounding area, so you can build a house in a max-level area without getting mobbed the instant you step outside.

This does mean you can't run around outside collecting materials all night (unless you're willing to spend significant resources on lights). Stay home and do some crafting, maintain your farm, etc. Also, this is why the daytime is twice as long as the night.

In terms of appearance, they have glowing red eyes, and that's about all you actually get to see - they act as negative light sources, making their surroundings darker instead of brighter, so the area immediately around them will be nearly total black.

The goal here is to add a bit of tension, and make the actually Everfree seem somewhat dangerous. It's also an obstacle you need to overcome to collect higher-level crafting materials - you can't just run to the middle of nowhere and come back with all the tribal ores you can carry.

What do you think?
>>
>>27448260
Can't wait for that, especially the bug that might, oh lets say, Spawn an army of ghosts out of nowhere no matter the level.
This was joke.
>>
>>27447645
>For concrete examples, look up the FF6 or Golden Sun soundtracks.
Will do.
>>
File: HEY MAN.jpg (7 KB, 250x211) Image search: [Google]
HEY MAN.jpg
7 KB, 250x211
>>27443619
>If you mean NPC shops and buildings, I'm not planning on adding those. I do plan to add village wards, so that players can build their own villages with public infrastructure.
Come on OP. If you want, I can work (try at the very least) on NPC's

It would be fun to have a dimension for each race to make the game balanced
>Forest hall: For new players
>Rock Farm: For earth ponies
>Cosmic Hub: For unicorns
>Cloud Barracks: For pegasi
>Big Airplane: For you

As for the PvP, I suggest a turn based card game, example:
>Your turn, pick a card
>WIND KICK
>It deals 44 damage
>It's [player] turn
>ROCK SMASH
>It deals 12 damage
and so on, so on...
I mean, it would be fun. Maybe making cards a reward from the puzzles in the caves would make the game somewhat interesting
>>
File: ie.png (20 KB, 488x345) Image search: [Google]
ie.png
20 KB, 488x345
>>27448260
>they act as negative light sources, making their surroundings darker
cool

>>27447645
Im bad at drawing but here is a recreation, on the left there is a 2 tiles space over the stairs which allows me to get down
on the other side I only left one square and it stops me in the middle, like if there were an obstacle at the base of stairs
in both scenarios you can go up, meaning there is nothing physically stopping you
>>
File: stair-diagram.png (2 KB, 325x264) Image search: [Google]
stair-diagram.png
2 KB, 325x264
>>27448775
That example on the right shouldn't let you down OR up. Here's a shitty diagram showing the side view. Blue square is how much space your character takes up, red line is that extra floor.

>>27448770
>Come on OP. If you want, I can work (try at the very least) on NPC's
I assume from your name you're talking about doing artwork? That's not really the problem with NPCs - they can use the same artwork as player characters. The trick is coming up with a system for writing the AI scripts that's easy to work with.

Though, if you do feel like doing some pixel art, it would be nice to have some gnarled, spooky-looking Everfree trees (but in a slightly more realistic style, similar to the existing trees). Or, since you mentioned cloud buildings, some cloud wall and floor tiles.

>turn based card game
That idea does sound pretty cool, but it's basically adding a whole new game to the game. In other words, lots and lots of additional work.

It would be pretty cool even as a standalone game, though. I'm imagining something like pokemon, where you choose a card and then it plays an animation of your character doing the selected move. For progression in a standalone game, maybe you get more cards by playing against AI monsters, and use them to customize your deck for PvP battles?
>>
Bumo
>>
Post slutty ponies in outfits.
>>
>>27449522
I don't have any
>>
>>27450766
Why not?
>>
>>27451787
why don't you?
>>
File: 242342344.png (144 KB, 1599x801) Image search: [Google]
242342344.png
144 KB, 1599x801
Have some butts.
>>
>>27451900
I know which one
>>
File: nazi (b00).png (35 KB, 686x605) Image search: [Google]
nazi (b00).png
35 KB, 686x605
>>27451787
>>27451808
>not making your own
>>
File: EO Future.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
EO Future.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Hey guise, Princess Luna gave me a picture of OP's dreams and hopes of this game
>>27448955
Well since the game is about puzzles, I would suggest making cards a reward for dungeons and extremely complicated shit (Wait a minute that card...)
>>
>>27453510
What's the source for that? Image search only finds pics of unrelated games.
>>
>>27453510
OP already said that we will find the materials and recipes needed for better items/abilities as we go deeper (or higher) into the forest/biomes

what are they gonna be or do still remains a mystery
>>
bumop
>>
tfw cant play because cromebook
piss
>>
>>27452707
Well it's simple to guess isn't it
>>
>>27435116
I can't connect to the server.
>>
File: 113.gif (218 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
113.gif
218 KB, 300x100
Aaaand bookmarked for later. Gonna be playing this tommarow
>>
File: 1459482778270.jpg (222 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
1459482778270.jpg
222 KB, 560x420
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.