[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The fandom always makes a big deal about how MLP:FiM is bett
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: large.png (793 KB, 644x1024) Image search: [Google]
large.png
793 KB, 644x1024
The fandom always makes a big deal about how MLP:FiM is better than it deserves to be, being a little girls toy commercial, and that it's able to compete in quality with many other popular cartoons.

But does that really have any meaning? Isn't all of cartoons in a slump currently?
How does an episode like the last one, being a A Christmas Carol adaption (albeit with some Grinch thrown in) even compare to a classic predecessor like pic related?

For underage and those who had a terrible childhood:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmq7ql_1983-mickey-s-christmas-carol_shortfilms
>>
>>27368539
with a tv-y rating, you cant get away with as much dark story telling. i cant point out who to blame, but all i know is society treats children like fragile pieces of glass these days.
>>
>>27368539
Dash is waaay sexier than Mickey.
>>
>>27368539
Blah blah blah
>>
>>27368539
actually no. it isn't. cartoons are in a rebirth phase. but mlp is not good or superb in quality compared to its peers. it used to do some pretty great subversion of old story pieces and character concepts of previous mlp shows and that made it unique and fresh, but over all, the show writing and quality is not much improved since the revolving door of writers shits on the consistancy of characters and lore alike and forces the mythos as a whole to suffer. And like it or not, a consistent world is really what makes the difference in a show that has or does not have quality.
>>
>>27368552
Are you complaining that My Little Pony isn't dark enough?
>>
>>27368562
in times where it would be appropriate, yes. the whole point faust set out to make is that girl shows dont have to be fluffy bright happy tea party shit at all times. they could have easily gone in a darker direction like disney did and make the story more compelling.

one of the best examples for this show is if they actually had tank die. that would have easily been a very powerful and emotional episode. many kids have to deal with pet death, they would connect with it on an emotional level.
>>
>>27368552
Mickey's Christmas Carol has a G rating same as MLP:FiM.

Unfortunately what that rating means has changed quite a bit in 30 years, especially under the influence of US conservative "tv violence and videogames are evil" lobbyists from the late 90's until now.
>>
>>27368609
>death

I really don't get it. Bambi's mom, Littlefoot's mom, Mufasa. When was it suddenly decided that's no longer alright in children's entertainment?
>>
>>27368671
pretty much this >>27368649

todays adults grew up with all that shit, but for some reason there seems to be a ton of lobbyists protesting the very same thing they grew up with.
>>
>>27368715
Probably weak minds traumatized by Watership Down.
>>
>>27368730
funny you should mention that. a friend of mine suggested it to me and i just watched it a couple days ago. he said it traumatized a bunch of kids or something.

i have no idea how i would have felt as a kid. it probably would have left an impression, but it didnt seem any worse than what i had already seen in land before time and old yeller. as an adult i just thought it was weird as fuck.
>>
>>27368609
I get what you're saying, but with how this show's been so far, removing the light, nice atmosphere to become dark and "deep" would be insane. I watch My Little Pony for cute, happy stuff because that's what the show is. When I want something thought-provoking and edgy, I'll watch something else, but I like that this isn't that. To imagine that being sacrificed to appease people who believe every cartoon needs to pander to their tastes is terrible.
>>
>>27368539
First off, you have to consider the time constraints. An episode of MLP:FIM is about 22 minutes, and part of that had to be spent at the beginning and end to frame the story-within-a-story. So the writers only had about 15 minutes to tell "A Christmas Carol", meaning they had to compress the HELL out of the story and still get the moral across. For what it is, the writers did a pretty damn good job of it.
>>
>>27368649
>especially under the influence of US conservative "tv violence and videogames are evil" lobbyists from the late 90's until now
Newsflash, libcuck. It's your own SJW wing pushing that shit now, and they're getting a lot further than the religious nutters could ever have hoped to because now it's so progressive.
>>
>>27368539
Why does the new director always keep pushing the same 4 retarded expressions over and over again?
This is the 30th episode he's pushed that retarded tiny eye / huge empty sclera bullshit, it makes them look retarded and unexpressive.
>>
>>27368609
Dude trixi was about to comit suicide something you should have conwidered a long time ago
>>
>>27368815
The big problem nowadays is that there's no middle ground. Entertainment either goes full kiddy gloves or full edgy grimdark.

>>27368826
Mickey's Christmas Carol is only a few minutes longer, 2 of which are intro credts.
>>
>>27368815
See you watchi it for the light-heartedness of it, and I get that, we all do, but when the target audience is kids and you want to teach kids lessons, sometimes you have to get gritty with it. Ironic that adults want kids stuff and kids want the adult side of stuff
>>
>>27368815
do you see the irony is stating what you want from the show and in the same breath saying people shouldnt want shows to pander to their tastes?

treating the show with a slightly more mature light would be right in the line faust originally wanted for it. im also not saying every single episode has to suddenly get secret of nyhm levels of dark, just that they shouldnt have to shy away from darker themes when necessary for story telling.
>>
>>27368828
Yes, because Hasbro content management under Margaret Loesch definitely consisted of feminazi SJW's and not ultraconservative soccer mom panderers.

SJW's are a fad, conservative censorship has been in an institutionalized seat of power ever since they usurped all the power creators had by taking control of channels and distribution.
>>
>>27368897
what does hasbro management have to do with lobbyist groups and the FCC?
>>
>>27368848
>Entertainment either goes full kiddy gloves or full edgy grimdark.
no, entertaiment goes full cop drama, every. single. time. Batman Babies, cop drama. Lucifer, cop drama. Medical drama, cop drama with doctors. Every goddamn show on TV is some goddamn version of a cop drama. That's why I watch cartoons, everything else is the same stupid shit.
>>
File: 1317513107001.gif (11 KB, 730x413) Image search: [Google]
1317513107001.gif
11 KB, 730x413
>>27368923
holy shit, youre right.
>>
FIM hasn't been able to be better than the fucking kindegraten Transformers show The Hub has for seasons, it certianly will not stack up to classics.
>>
>>27368539
Well it's difficult to compare to other adaptations of a Chsitmas Carol because MLP chose to tell a pretty unique take on the tale, upping the stakes quite considerably, and I'd argue that by doing so, it helped to further support many of the thematic statements that A Christmas Carol tries to convey.

That being said, I tend to agree with your initial sentiment regarding the overall landscape of cartoons.
>>
Nice use of "things were better in my day" memage there bro. Only 90's kids understand amiright
>>
>>27368561

I feel there was also a shift in focus between season 3 and 5 that shook many people and made quite a few leave. There have been significantly more episodes that are straight rips from other famous stories bit with ponies post season 3 and that leaves a pretty sour taste. The show has had a fun atmosphere of not taking itself too seriously, but after Twilight became a Princess, the writers/show didn't know where to go as that was supposed to be end game shit.
>>
>>27369013
Not really. My younger relatives who are into cartoons alll prefer the 90's and earlier stuff as well. By the time they reached age 10-11 cartoons just started to feel way too kiddy for them.
And then there's this jump to more adult material that seems way too big compared to before. It's pretty disturbing how these rating labels seem to have some magical age cutoff where suddenly the kiddy gloves come off and everything becomes disproportionally more violent.
>>
File: Bowing Manticore.png (189 KB, 634x526) Image search: [Google]
Bowing Manticore.png
189 KB, 634x526
>>27369032
>Significantly straight rips from other famous stories bit with ponies post season 3.
Some examples please?

>>27368846
I don't know. The manticore from that episode seemed restraint from a wild one, by not being aggressive to the crowd, not chewing on Trixie and simply swallowing her, and even bowing upon the end of the show.
>>
>>27369097
that was obviously the one flutters befriended.
>>
>>27368539
>how does it compare to a classic predecessor
Maybe with how the characters are so much more likable and cuter, making the whole experience much more endearing and better.
>>
>>27369097
Welll she sure didn't seem like she was gonna come out of it alive with her attitude before the stunt. What was her plan B? Get shat out by the manticore back stage?
>>
>>27369255
Maybe she was intentionally going to humiliate herself, by having the manticore to spit her out.
>>
>>27368671
>When was it suddenly decided that's no longer alright in children's entertainment?

It's always been okay... for movies.

Television since the 80's and 90's took a different outlook on it due to different ratings boards.
>>
File: angry tie.jpg (29 KB, 600x614) Image search: [Google]
angry tie.jpg
29 KB, 600x614
>>27368539
>How does an episode like the last one, being a A Christmas Carol adaption (albeit with some Grinch thrown in) even compare to a classic predecessor like pic related?
It doesn't; it's not trying to compete with them, it's just something they did for shits and giggles,a homage adapted for a TV-Y audience.
Not every re-adaptation of a work has to/is trying to compete with the ones that came before it; by the same means, you could say that the Disney's version isn't actually good because it doesn't hold a candle to the original Charles Dickens' novel.
>>
>>27368539
>The fandom always makes a big deal about how MLP:FiM is better than it deserves to be, being a little girls toy commercial, and that it's able to compete in quality with many other popular cartoons.
You are mistaking the fans with the shills, OP.
>>
>>27368539
Wasn't the Disney one a very close retelling though? Kind of like Muppet one?
>>
>>27368848

Same with the episode when the first 4 minutes or more was the introduction song, then the opening song and then the setup when glimmer says that she don't celebrate HW.

The actual adaptation have 3 songs and don't feels rushed enough.
>>
>>27368923
Gotham was sort of written as one and has actually grown a bit beyond those shackles, but there was no fucking reason to make Lucifer a crime procedural. Fuck everything about that show.
>>
Compared to golden and silver age Disney FiM is pretty shit. Compared to everything else it's pretty awesome.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.