[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mlp/'s Snap Judgment Rating Of Season 6 Episode 8
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15
Hi! We got some interesting data today, apparently.

As per usual the graph pictured to the left has been collated from responses fathered over the last six hours via strawpoll.

We got a total of 376 responses in that time, which is again a large number and I plan on addressing that and a few other things that might be quite obvious to you later ITT. The average rating was 7.26 which would rate this as the third most possible episode that has aired this season. The mode is 9, which means that more respondents rated this episode as a 9 than any other specific number. And I’ll add that 72.3% of respondents rated this episode between a 6 and a 10 whereas only 27.7% rated it between a 1 and a five.

The standard deviation for this sample is 2.54, which is the largest SD so far this season.

Since I am, and forever shall try to remain an impartial data monkey I won’t say anything past that here. I will disclose that I rated this episode at an eight to declare any bias I have going forward.

Discuss as you please. If you want me to do any more data processing on this or any of the polls I’ve gathered to date, or if you have more general questions, then feel free to bug me and I’ll do my best to address you ITT. Extreme data chart to follow shortly.

I’m very upset at my job right now. I’m sincerely considering quitting if I can’t get a somewhat substantial raise soon. So thanks for making my life easier by reposting.
>>
The split for this version was 32.9% to 67.1% and everything else is either clearly labeled or easily derivable.
>>
>>27360426
It is a pretty polarizing episode, I'm not surprised.
>>
>>27360426
Interesting, I wonder how the song consensus would be. Sucks to hear, hope things improve
>>
9 for the GOOD songs, and comfy feeling

4 for airing it in fucking May, and no originality whatsoever.
>>
I don't think anyone hated it, only that most people loved it or found it average. The results kind of show that.
>>
>>27360426
This episode had a lot of things going for it, and a few things that went against it. It was a great episode, but it clearly wasn't going to appeal to everyone.
>>
>>27360426
I kind of wish they had a more original storyline, being a ripoff of a Christmas Carol turned many off as well as the whole episode being a story within a story.
>>
>>27360426
what is the second highest episode rated this season?
>>
>>27360558
Yeah, I only saw complaints that it was boring, not that it was stupid, cringey, or someone was out of character.
>>
>>27360426
It is probably my second favorite after Gauntlet of Fire.
>>
I'm not recalling many people in the sticky rating it a 4 and I'm suspecting it's slightly very rigged.

Anyway,I think I gave it a 6. I liked only two of the songs and that is a bummer in a musical episode. Plus the story is just a rehash of a many times told story so that didn't really excite me either. It was still nice and comfy and all that, just not for me.
>>
>>27360426
This sounds about right, I don't know why people aren't going gaga over this episode, more are just trying to justify why it was boring or not.

I expect this episode to be very forgettable.
>>
>>27360426
This episode was hyped up as being the best episode ever by the Supervising Director, that might explain a lot of the votes.
>>
>>27360426
>4 suddenly gains 30 votes out of nowhere
seems legit.
>>
>>27360651
Same here.
>>
>>27360686
That's what it gets being a rehash of A Christmas Carol.
>>
>>27360664
>I'm not recalling many people in the sticky rating it a 4 and I'm suspecting it's slightly very rigged
this has been mentioned before, along with more votes than posters in the sticky, and it comes down to lurkers and that the poll gets posted in the general, and maybe some other places
>>
>>27360558
People seem to love it or be pretty "meh" about it.
>>
>>27360426
Do you recall any other episodes with love it or meh reactions?
>>
>>27360426
Songs were the only good thing in the episode.
>>
>>27360426
It was an alright episode, but I would have preferred something closer to the original Hearthswarming or even Hearthbreakers than "Ponies re-tell a classic tale in their interpretation".

At least it was far better than last week's shitty episode.
>>
File: 1462737698929.gif (476 KB, 438x325) Image search: [Google]
1462737698929.gif
476 KB, 438x325
>>27360426
I'm conflicted myself, the episode is like Avatar

Based on visual and soundtrack it is a solid 9/10

Based on storyline and actual original story content it's hardly a 2/10. It didn't do anything new with the characters other than parodying Grinch and Christmas Carol. I feel like Christmas special made by Merriweather Williams and Nick Confalone are much richer from storytelling perspective, while songs in Winter Wrap Up are still more memorable than in today's episode.
>>
>>27360748
At least nothing offensive happened it it like last week's episode.
>>
I don’t normally do any sort of meta-analysis of the data, and if I do it’s usually pretty skin deep, but to be frank this data is quite obviously different.

To use more academic language, it’s weird as shit.

It should be pretty obvious that there are two very, very, distinct populations here. There are those that rated the episode at or above a five and those who rated it below five. This set of data shows a very major section of the population rating it at a three or a four, 6.38% and 17.02% respectively.

The question a normal person would ask is, “why?”, and frankly I’m pretty fucking curious about that as well. The problem is without any reliable way to contact people and perform an exit poll we’re only left to route speculation. So I’ll posit a couple possibilities here.

The first thing is something that has been suggested before and is something that I unfortunately have no direct control over. The problem with these polls is that they are gathered from a captcha-less strawpoll, meaning that anyone who can change, or fake, their IP address can vote in it multiple times and effectively skew, or outright rig the poll. Not only that, people can very easily take the link and post it somewhere outside /mlp/, like some Skype circle jerk, or on EQD to give a couple examples, and by doing this they can reduce the purity of the poll and/or intentionally skew the result.

It’s a possibility, and it’s something I have no real control over. People can do it, but at the moment I’m operating under the assumption that people just won’t bother to do it. The thing about poll’s like this is that it’s hard to convey how lazy and apathetic people are. I COULD make it more difficult to rig, but by doing that I make it more difficult for people to respond, and thus a lot of people just won’t even bother in the first place.

[Continued]
>>
>>27360786
I imagine that if I did put a captcha on this we would lose at least a third of our legitimate responses, just because people won’t bother.

That being said, it’s entirely possible that any section of this poll could be rigged, and that could be one possible explanation of the very distinct schism in the data. If that’s the case, then it is what it is.

The second possibility is much more benign, that there are a lot of people who liked this episode and there are also a large portion of people who just didn’t care for it. I get this result too, it’s a song episode and it’s off season, so I can totally see this. The thing that makes me somewhat skeptical is how clear the split is here, but even if such a clear split is unusual that doesn’t mean it’s impossible or even unheard of. Again, shit happens.

The third possibility is a bit more conspiratorial on my part, but I’ll mention it anyway for your consideration. This is another song episode, along the same vein as Pinkie Pride, and more specifically, MMC. I know for a fact there are plenty of people here who still have a bad taste in their mouths from that episode, and this was very reminiscent of that insofar as it was pretty fast paced and a large portions of the exposition was conveyed via song, it came out of nowhere with no real setup in prior episodes, it was of a different format than has been shown before, and it’s something that was left as a one part episode where it could have very easily stretched into two parts and it could have been explored at a much deeper level.

Then again, this isn’t nearly as impactful as MMC, but it’s just an idea I had that I thought I might mention. Anon’s might have such a bad association that anything that remotely reminiscent of that episode is immediately mediocre at best to them.
>>
>>27360635
It's hard to really pick on that episode since almost 90% of the episode was about fictional characters from a book. Nothing really mattered and everyone else in the episode just joind for a song. I guess this is like 100th episode but much more neutral when in regard of peoples opinion.
>>
the episode was boring as fuck, time to give another 4
>>
File: results.png (4 KB, 206x246) Image search: [Google]
results.png
4 KB, 206x246
>>27360426
nice rigging going on with that one

I acually took the results down when it had 155 responses and it looks a bit different...
and I remeber when it had around 230 responses it was similar (~75% of votes were 8 or higher)

and then it suddenly gets disproportionately large number of votes for 3 and 4, yeah right.
not that it matters, its just a stupid online poll but clearly someone was quite upset about todays episode.
>>
>>27360786
For lorefags it was a weak episode

For entertaining fags this was a solid episode.

What else it is to understand? The episode went full Avatar. It wasn't a bad movie, but it is forgetable one. There is literally nothing to discuss in it. There is no point in analysing Twilights fictional story and its characters.
>>
File: 1460402019454.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1460402019454.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
>>27360825
>rigged because there were too many negative votes
>i will rig it so it has only mostly positive votes

ok
>>
File: 1425442545387.png (135 KB, 473x493) Image search: [Google]
1425442545387.png
135 KB, 473x493
>>27360845
>rigging literally never happens
theres a reason people use the
>strawpoll
>meaning anything
meme.
>>
>>27360426
Damn, that's a pretty heavy split between "best ever" and "it's shit"
>>
>>27360825
Someone could have linked it somewhere. It does show what we generally see though on the board.

>>27360861
Why would someone rig a poll with a 4? You would think a 1 or a 2 would be the work of someone who hated it.
>>
>>27360886
>Why would someone rig a poll with a 4?
To make it less suspicious, perhaps.
>>
>>27360588
Honestly, this episode suprised me a bit. I thought that it was just going to be a straight rip of Christmas Carol and The Grinch, but it just took some troupes from them and still managed to make it it's own as well.

I'm not particularly judgmental when people borrow from other works, especially when it works well.

You know, nihil novum sub solem
>>27360615
From highest to lowest
E6
E5
D8
E3
E1&2
E7
>>27360741
Not in this particular way, no. Episode seven had a lot of votes spread across the board, but this shows two very distinct camps, which is always a little weird to look at without any sort of context to interpret the data from.
>>27360825
Honestly it looks like the data would scale from that point pretty naturally, there's already a clear trend with people voting four there.
>>27360832
I don't know, there's a lot of stuff I can pull from the episode based on how it was handled, but it's not really my place to say.
>>
>>27360892
Then why rig results of a bad episode to be average?
>>
>>27360880
I would say that four is more, "meh" than "it's shit"

Keep in mind that the instructions on the poll literally read, "Rate Season 6 Episode 8 (1=Shit 10=Great)" so if you really do think it's that shitty then you should be rating it at a one or a two.

>>27360886
See >>27360892
>>
>>27360903
>average
You do realise that most episodes are 6~7 this season, right? Rigging the poll to anything below that would make the episode the worst of the season, relatively speaking.
>>
>>27360903
>most votes 8-10
>To make it less suspicious, perhaps.
>>
File: graphical.png (228 KB, 682x502) Image search: [Google]
graphical.png
228 KB, 682x502
>>27360664
This p. much
>>
>>27360880
More like
"best thing ever" and "ugh"
It is right above being shit.
>>
there's also a difference in perceptions of the ratings
one person's 4 to 6 rating could mean they see it as a good but not great episode while another person's 4 to 6 rating could mean the episode is shit
>>
>>27360931
It also depends on the people who stick around in the sticky.
>>
>>27360931
This episode wasn't polarizing as you might think, few people think it is terrible. There are just many people who found it to be boring, which is usually associated with average.
>>
File: consider.png (98 KB, 371x255) Image search: [Google]
consider.png
98 KB, 371x255
Yeah I'm fairly sure this poll is bullshit. Take a look at the sticky's rate episode post. >>27355056 You get around 50 responses with a number and a couple that just say great/shit. 4 is there only two times. The average is around 7.3, but I just did the sum in my head so don't blame me for a slight miscalculation.
Aside from total meme replies there are 5 positive and 5 negative unnumbered responses.
Considering that most ratings should come from the sticky that has around 200 IPs posting and a bunch of lurkers where everyone aside from MLPG (who get the poll as well, but they usually like to rate quite positively) hangs out, I'm calling shenanigans. If it was so shit that almost a fifth of viewers went for a 4 and over a quarter went below five, you would be able to hear them complain. People love to bitch. Especially here.
Some epic memester decided to either fire up a proxy or repost it somewhere in his circlejerk for fun.
>>
File: 562.jpg (67 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
562.jpg
67 KB, 600x600
ITT
Autists don't understand that someone might dislike a musical episode that has no meaning in the story and doesn't contain anything original or anything developing lore or characters.
It isn't Pinkie Pride musical which had both music and character emotional struggle. It just a holiday special. It isn't rigged you idiots.
>>
>>27361006
It was posted in another thread.
>>
>>27361031
This.
>>
>>27361031
This
>>
>>27361006
You forget Big Jim hyped this up.
>>
http://youtubedoubler.com/ilvr
>>
>>27360976
Yeah, boring seems like a common complaint about this episode.
>>
>>27361043
If it was in another thread on /mlp/ then I don't care much, depending on the thread of course.

/mlp/ general, for example, is fine. Though a Sunset Shimmer thread or a Starlight Glimmer thread might cause problems.
>>
>>27361043
Here on /mlp/? As I said, I'm assuming a large majority of anons active here already is in the episode sticky thread, so posting it in some deadbeat general or two might give you like ten extra votes total from people that weren't here when it was live.

>>27361058
How does that affect our poll?
>>
>>27361080
It was posted here.
>>27355401
>>
>>27361092
It seems like one of those threads where opinion is split, so it might not be a problem. I dunno. Again, it is what it is.
>>
>>27361087

>How does that affect our poll?

Memehate hate jim and vogel is a meme now
>>
went through desustorage, outside of the sticky the strawpoll was posted only in the above linked thread and a nightly twilight where someone asked how good the episode was. Neither really sparked any attention.

>>27361116
>memehate
So I'm assuming some outside group?
>>
>>27361031
>everyone who didn't like the episode voted 4
Yeah, very likely.
>>
the opinion of the episode is split and this thread has quite a bit of discussion
mostly people questioning the lower ratings
how many ways can we interoperate that
maybe the high votes are shilling or maybe it's the low voters or maybe the episode is polarizing and the poll is perfectly fine
>>
>>27361212
the live vote on the stream was mostly 9s and 10s.
>>
>>27361163

>Neither really sparked any attention.

Some people like me(nightly twilight thread) just vote and continue posting picture of twilight because i already give my opinion in the sticky
>>
>>27361259
That comes back to my another point, and that is that most people from these generals already are in the sticky and are already rating and discussing the episode there. You might get like five or ten new votes but that would mean that they all thought the episode was 4/10 for this to happen. Statistically very unlikely.
>>
>>27361295
It's unlikely, but not impossible or unheard of for that matter.
>>
>>27361230
there are multiple streams
>>
>>27361320
It's been some time since calculus and statistics but if I'm correct the pure random chance of one guy deciding on 4 is 1/10, two is 1/100, three is 1/1000 and so on? Ten times in a row would be a miracle.
Not making it a dice roll and coming off from the 50 respondents poll in the sticky we get not even 10% choosing 4. Here instead it would be 100% and that's well beyond any margin of error. The early 155 respondents strawpoll lists 4 at only 6,45%. Rounding up the closed poll should have only 25. That's almost 40 extra. Now take all the ridiculously small chances of all these new people that weren't in the sticky yet hang out in /ntt/ or that one thread, all of them voting 4/10. If this poll was not tinkered with by outsiders I'm going for a lottery ticket right now.
>>
>>27360426
Many people loved it, but several people found it very boring.
>>
>>27361425
yes [b][i][u]if[/u][/i][/b] the votes were entirely random and not based on opinion you would be unquestionably right but this is poll based on opinion not a random event
>>
>>27361520
wow great job reading past the first paragraph
>>
>>27361425
Seeing current opinions i this thread

>>>>27360911

Is very likely that these 4/10 and 5/10 were as common as good rates
>>
>>27361532
He's right though. This type of date is much more like Bayesian statistics than pure random statistics, so you can't just make a rough approximation on just that.
>>
File: poll2.png (990 KB, 686x952) Image search: [Google]
poll2.png
990 KB, 686x952
>>27360664
Yeah something's fucked up here. Pic related is a previous copy of the results that I happened to have open in a background tab.

In the first 203 votes:
>29.6% voted 9
>5.4% voted 4

In the remaining 173 votes:
>19.1% voted 9
>30.6% voted 4

I think something similar may have happened with the previous one as well, but I need to look up the link.
>>
>>27361520
Are you one of those people that ask how come the news on election day calls the results only 5% in?
Out of the first 155 votes, only 6,45% went with 4. Out of the next 221, 24,43% went with 4.
Comparing nines? 27% to 23%. 10? 22.5% to 18%. All reasonably lower due to the massive increase in 4/10.
If the strawpoll really was honest to earth and only shared in the sticky, /ntt/ and the other thread, these two samples should not differ that much considering that it's all the same folks.

>>27361556
There's currently 15% for 4, but only 26 responses (and 24 IPs, mind you, so someone's samefagging), that's not a big enough sample size. Especially when we got a 150 and also 200.
>>
>>27361612
This poll looked shopped as fuck. Maybe just stop trying.
>>
>>27361612
Yep, same shit last week, but with 7 instead of 4. The 7/10 option got 11.7% of the first 94 votes and 27.5% of the remaining 240.

>>27361733
If I was going to shop it I would put in enough effort to make it not look obviously shopped.

What actually happened is noscript blocked a bunch of shit. I could turn it off and refresh the page, but that would sort of defeat the purpose.
>>
>>27361755
so it's happened before just on the higher side
that brings up a question
why are the votes being disputed so vehemently this time as opposed to last episode
>>
>>27361832
Because it is so polarizing, even though that's what we have been seeing lately.
>>
>>27360911
Looking at this thread suggests there is a split.
>>
>>27361832
I noticed the shift toward 7 last week but I didn't think too much of it. But seeing the same sort of anomaly two weeks in a row makes it a lot more suspicious.

Plus, this week the 3/4 cluster appeared from basically nowhere, whereas last week the 7/8 cluster had already existed and just got stronger relative to the others.
>>
>>27361832
Because in the last episode the ratings were more evenly spread. Because last time the 7 was a much more common rating outside of the strawpoll. Because the increase over time wasn't almost four times bigger in 80 less votes.
>>
>>27361873
theres always a noisy minority screaming about the episodes.

the faggot who keeps insisting on making polls needs to enable the captcha and IP check options.
>>
>>27361212
I think it's just a polarizing episode - go back to the thread itself, a lot of people fangasming about the songs, and a lot of butthurt about Chrismas episode (and/or Xmas in May)

Team 10/10 here, but that's because I tend to like musicals. If you don't like musicals, you're gonna hate this episode. I also enjoy seeing classics reworked/mashed up, and that's precisely what the "unoriginal" crowd is complaining about.

Neither side is wrong. But if you simultaneously dislike (or enjoy) musicals *and* parodies of old classics, this one was both. It's why I loved it. It's why others hate it.

I think the bimodal distribution is a legitimate reflection of the underlying data.
>>
>>27361950
Many found it boring, not bad, just boring.
Ultimately because this is a more out of the ordinary episode, it obviously was more likely to bore people that didn't care for what they were doing.

Hence the results are closer towards the center rather than the extremes.
>>
Just came home and watched the episode, the ending could be better but besides still its been 5 years since a episode made me squee irl. Fucking ponies
10/10
>>
>>27361950
I dont even like musical centered episodes and i liked this one tbqh
>>
poll about the poll
http://www.strawpoll.me/10215053
>>
>>27362097
We need to be more meta
>>
>>27362134
How about we make a poll about the poll that s about the episode poll?
>>
>>27362154
https://www.strawpoll.me/10215109
>>
It would be realistic if the votes had a somewhat natural distribution.

But ALL at EXACTLY 4? What the fuck is going on?
>>
Please post the one for No Second Prances. I usually give a 5 or 6 if I thought an episode was pretty boring. That was the first one I couldn't vote above a zero.
>>
>>27362335
https://www.strawpoll.me/10025847
>>
>>27362335
Sorry it took a while, here you go
>>
It was a pretty boring episode.
>>
File: 56b6a4d71a00009c01ab2231.jpg (47 KB, 630x397) Image search: [Google]
56b6a4d71a00009c01ab2231.jpg
47 KB, 630x397
>>27362732
>>
Man, today's episode was the 'meh'-iest of the musical episodes.

It doesn't hold a candle to Pinkie Pride or Crusaders of the Lost Mark, which both had memorable, catchy songs, and fun/important story lines.

Fuck, even MMC had one or two good songs, even if it was a fucking trainwreck and gave us Alicorn-sue.

Also, why the fuck does A Christmas Carol need be told in pony-form?

4/10
>>
>>27362798

The songs here blew most of the Crusaders songs out of the water.
>>
>>27362190

Yeah Iv never seen that before, and for like the first 200 votes it was NOTHING like that, it's pretty obvious someone fucked with the poll for laughs.
>>
File: 1434765779722.jpg (856 KB, 1000x915) Image search: [Google]
1434765779722.jpg
856 KB, 1000x915
>>27362538
>>27362637
Wow that's insane.
>>
File: 4134.png (78 KB, 392x287) Image search: [Google]
4134.png
78 KB, 392x287
>really good sol
>"boring"
>"meh"
>"soooo oregano"
I was going to say its 8.5, but the amount of butthurt its caused the worst parts of this board is the aboslute best, so 10.
>>
File: 1461618760153.png (106 KB, 618x530) Image search: [Google]
1461618760153.png
106 KB, 618x530
>>27362823
I used to fuck these up pretty bad. Or at least change the outcome for fun. I had no bias so it went under the radar.
I don't trust any internet polls.
>>
I hate the whole roleplaying trope in shows/movies in general, so yeah, this episode was really boring for me.
>>
>>27360426

You know if there was something of an actual spread between 3-5 I could actually believe this result, but when like 90% of the lower scores are 4 that just reeks of someone fucking around (and not doing it particularly well)
>>
what's OP opinion on all the tears for this weeks poll?
>>
>>27363370

People are rightly suspicious, that kind of spread just looks unnatural.

If you had a decent amount of 2, 3 and 5s too it'd make more sense but as it is it just looks unatural.
>>
finally got to watch the episode
thoughts on the episode:
why was spike being a dick early in the episode and then annoying twat later on?
it added nothing but unneeded/unresolved conflict
having a Christmas themed episode during May just feels wrong
the episode felt unpolished and most the songs were campy
using the main cast, while not a bad thing, was really unnecessary
I feel having characters reminiscent to the main cast but unique in there own way would have made for a better episode
the biggest problem of this season, in my opinion, the narrative being driven by dialogue really stood out in this episode
my rating is a 5/10
final thoughts:
I really like how pinkie was handled in this episode, she felt really spot-on
I've liked the previous song driven episodes but this one felt a bit weak
this episode in a diamond in the rough a bit more time spent on it, and having it closer to December would really made this episode shine
>>
>>27360426
>>27360435
thanks for the graphs OP
thought they look a bit strange with a peek a low average and another peek a near perfect
seems rather divided but still good overall
or maybe people are trying to skew the vote
>>
>>27360435
>Removing 1 and 10.
What for?
>>
>All these retards declaring people not rating it 10 are a samefag.
>Despite the fact that strawpoll can see through dynamic IPs.
If you're honestly that autistic that you're throwing a temper tantrum over other people's opinions, then don't come to this board.
>>
>>27364134
It's just to see if the rating is somewhat influenced by 1/10 it's shit and 10/10 GOAT memeratings.
>>
>>27360426
This is interesting
>>
The songs were God-tier.

The episode self was "meh".
>>
>>27362637
sethshilling.jpeg
>>
>>27363370
See >>27360786 & >>27360801

Those are both me, OP
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.