[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Awesome episode >Half the board screaming and whining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 32
File: shiggy.png (43 KB, 502x284) Image search: [Google]
shiggy.png
43 KB, 502x284
>Awesome episode
>Half the board screaming and whining because people still like the show
>tfw there's nothing they can do about it
>>
>>27356647
It was just a boring episode.
>>
>>27356664
This.
It was a muppets christmas carol but with ponies.
>>
File: OBB7tLg.gif (408 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
OBB7tLg.gif
408 KB, 500x376
>>27356647
NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP
>>
>>27356647
It was nice, but it wasn't the character exploration Pinkie Pride or Crusaders of the Lost Mark were.
>>
>>27356647
Not bad just boring.
>>
>>27356647
I like how spike was snarky like he was in season 1, keep it up writers.
>>
>>27356703
He has been like that for a while.
>>
>>27356664
>>27356695
>5 minutes in
>boring

Consider autism.
>>
>>27356732
Its premise was bad to begin with.
>>
jaded: feeling or showing a lack of interest and excitement caused by having done or experienced too much of something
>>
>>27356750
Theres been like 4 winter episodes during all the 6 seasons.
>>
The real problem is the people who haven't watched since S3 or just hated everything since. If people don't like an episode that's fine, if people just straight up don't like the show anymore they need to find a new fandom.
>>
>>27356685
>crusaders of the lost mark
>im diamond tiara im gonna do something bad
>fuck you we wont let you
>i guess we get our cutie marks now

The only development was that their got their cutiemarks
>>
>>27356796
We gone none in this episode.
>>
>>27356795
they always have an excuse to stay.
>>
File: memelord.png (6 KB, 309x363) Image search: [Google]
memelord.png
6 KB, 309x363
>>27356732
Easy there, Anon! Buzzwords has a limit use, you know.
>>
>>27356795
The real problem here is that one cannot express their opinions and reasoning without either being called a hasdrone or a fan of the fandom.
>>
>>27356647
Well done, but it just didn't work to make its premise interesting.
>>
>>27356842
>shilling this hard
FUCK OFF
>>
File: 1428692988930.png (358 KB, 629x629) Image search: [Google]
1428692988930.png
358 KB, 629x629
>>27356795

So if people don't like post-S2 material, they have to find a new fandom?

Interesting.
>>
>>27356862
Hasdrone is a completely worthless insult on a board dedicated entirely to a Hasbro franchise. Same with shill, marketer, whatever. People here are going to like MLP. It's the same problem as on /v/, can't fucking talk about new games on there anymore without some genius bursting in for a SIMPLY EPIC shill post. Cancer.
>>
>>27356897
What worth is there in you posting in every fucking episode thread for new episodes that they suck and everything's been terrible since S3? If you don't like anything past S2 your input is not needed in anything that came after. At least you have the decency of being a namefag so you can be filtered.
>>
File: He Mad.jpg (9 KB, 319x259) Image search: [Google]
He Mad.jpg
9 KB, 319x259
>>27356958
>>
>>27356977
That's your response? Okay, I win.
>>
>>27356897
A lot of people have done exactly that. Remember all these fandom artists and musicians that used to be around, but no longer produce MLP stuff anymore? It's because they moved on, because after a certain point the show no longer appealed to them. It really is that simple.

Calling people a Hasdrone is just trite shitposting that has no meaning at this point, which is why it's baffling that people still do it. The only justifiable reason for it is because people here like the community of being with fellow critics/callout posters, because any sound-minded person would have just left the board and not think about MLP at this point. Literally "fans of the fandom," or in this case "fans of the anti-fandom."

People are allowed to have different opinions and admit that some episodes might not be good, but the general point is that they still enjoy the show in its brighter moments and can look forward to episodes down the line, rather than crying over the next boogeyman (Polsky in S1, Williams in S2, McCarthy/Larson in S3-5, Vogel/Big Jim now, whoever's next after this) and squatting in threads just to respond anonymous people on the Internet for actually liking the show.
>>
>>27356685
Theres the past Canterlot. Establishing that the Hearths Warming Eve story has been eroded by time, which explain the Luna/Celestia flag inconsistency at the end. Its another winter episode, which there haven't been many.

And its got about as much "character exploration" as any average episode.

How is Pinkie Pride good example of this? They give and solve her personal problem within that one episode. Party of One is something you could call that.
>>
>>27356850
Thats just too much shitposting in one small post.
>>
File: 5386358.png (16 KB, 452x347) Image search: [Google]
5386358.png
16 KB, 452x347
>>27356958
>not immediately filtering namefags
>reading their input on anything
>ever
>>
File: 1442677477932.gif (2 MB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
1442677477932.gif
2 MB, 540x304
>>27356986

>Okay, I win

Congrats. Here's your gold sticker. You're the sheriff of shit town now.
>>
File: 1455897252757.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1455897252757.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>27356647
>impressive visuals and music
>unoriginal story and no development whatsoever

I mean i also liked the look of Cameron's AVATAR but it was a shit uninspired story nonetheless. Episode was 7/10 only becuase of visuals. Other than that is just a forgettable Christmas Special episode.
>>
>>27356999
It still explored Pinkie.
>>
>>27356908
No, /v/ is different. They actually do get shills. Its a video game board, but some games get shilled.

You can't compare that to a board dedicated to talk about specific product. No shit, /My Little Pony: Friendship is Magicâ„¢/ is going to talk about the show named My Little Pony: Friendship is Magicâ„¢.
>>
>>27357037
This, great execution bad concept
>>
File: 1347304535115993.jpg (31 KB, 405x393) Image search: [Google]
1347304535115993.jpg
31 KB, 405x393
>I have no concept of critical thinking and there's nothing you can do about it!
>>
>>27357086
>No, /v/ is different. They actually do get shills. Its a video game board, but some games get shilled.
Yeah, I know, Andromeda and whatnot. It's true, I'm not denying that. But shill/marketer accusations achieve nothing even there. If you think someone is a marketer you should report that post and move on. But every underage b& needs to have their epik marketer rekt moment so it's literally impossible to talk about new games there.
>>
File: lurking.png (100 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
lurking.png
100 KB, 900x900
>>27357133
ive yet to see a legitimate argument against the episode. when you find one, let me know and ill have a critical thinking discussion with them.
>>
>>27357189
It was a rehash of a Christmas Carol, we barely learned anything new , we barely even saw the world or characters we were familiar with.
>>
>>27357218
Pretty much this.
>>
>>27357218
yes, it was a christmas episode. most shows do their version of a christmas carol because its a classic story and each new generation of children should see it. theyre not likely to go back and watch looney tunes version, or muppets version, etc.

not every episode has to teach you something new about the world of equestria. some are there just for entertainment, or in this case, to retell a classic christmas story.

i dont see what that last bit has to do with anything for or against this particular episode. you barely saw them in the other hearthswarming episodes as well.
>>
>>27357218
Yup, that explains why I was bored.
>>
>>27357280
We learned about Equestria in the first special.
We learned about Holder's Boulder and saw the Pie family in the second, along with learning about TS and SKs holiday traditions.

We didn't get any of that, we didn't even see our cast for most of the episode.
>>
>>27357218
This
>>
>>27357280
It's a fucking may. What's the point in making Christmas story right now? You have a new character on your hands and yet you still choose to waste her episodes on some stupid unrelated shit.
>>
>>27357280
When you take away the characters, you gotta make the world more interesting. They really didn't

Great songs and visuals, but it didn't save this from being forgettable.
>>
>>27357218
>we barely even saw the world
I don't think we've ever seen that era of Canterlot, or Ponyville decorated for HWE. I'm not even sure what you mean by the characters, since this had a lot returning familiar characters that we haven't seen for awhile.

Didn't anyone like the songs?
>>
>>27357326
so your problem isnt the episode, but rather when it was released?

>>27357305
>>27357341
as i said, it was a retelling of a classic christmas story. for you who may have seen this particular story a dozen times it may be forgettable, but for a kid who hasnt it will be remembered differently.
>>
Are we going to assume that the legend behind Hearth's Warming Eve is real and that this story isn't?
>>
>>27357341
>didn't save this from being forgettable
Its that musical episode about Christmas Carol, with Snapes and Sherlock&Watson, and Luna as reaper. Where they all sing. How did you forget that?
>>
>>27357380
The legend is questioned and this was political story belittling those who question it.
>>
>>27357358
They weren't them, though, it was about storybook characters played by our main cast.
>>
>>27357415
Because I have seen a Christmas Carol a bunch of times? I found the Daring Do story more interesting, but I wouldn't be upset with anyone who forgets it for being an Indiana Jones ripoff.

>>27357361
I like sticking with our main cast.
>>
>>27357534
>I like sticking with our main cast
so you just dont like episodes that break the status quo?
>>
>>27357570
If they involve our main world or cast then no.

I would love a Royal Canterlot/Crystal Empire episode, but that is at least still continuity building and character development there.
>>
>>27357570
If it is interesting, I enjoyed slice of life more than this.
>>
>>27357534
I'd argue that the episode does enough to keep it nuanced and interesting to the show's own style while still being respectful to the original story.

I'm watching the episode again in another tab, and I have to say that the strengths of the episode really are in its songs and visual design. Plus, the sheer novelty of MLP's characters being put in a public domain story, Victorian setting and all, is enough of a landmark, because it really is something the show hadn't tried much before this point.

It's just understated because it doesn't immediately grab you like Slice of Life's "100th episode celebration" or Crusaders of the Lost Mark's "5-year anniversary of the series" premises did. But once the episode is put into a marathon along with the other Hearth's Warming episodes this Christmas, it'll probably have more of an impression. The fact that the season started as early as it did likely threw a wrench and messed up the timing of the episode (assuming the original plan was to have this episode air in December, but then they decided to keep the show running in production order and began the season in March instead of September/October), which deflated its impact.
>>
File: 1405052684522.png (136 KB, 294x403) Image search: [Google]
1405052684522.png
136 KB, 294x403
>>27356647

>tfw there's nothing they can do about it
>tfw all they can do is to leave
>>
>>27357702
It is okay, but I prefer episodes that give us something new to work with or stick to our main cast.
>>
>>27357218
Airing at the start of the fucking summer also took a load off the atmosphere.
>>
>>27357761
it gave kids who havent seen a christmas carol something new to work with.
>>
>>27357218

>we barely even saw the world or characters we were familiar with
>never seen modern era Canterlot
>same fucking ponies on leading role

Yeah, we didnt learn anything new but what the fuck are you saying
>>
>>27357773
We are focusing on a character we still know little about, but it isn't even our character, it is a character playing another character.

I would have found it better if it was actually Starlight instead of SnowFrost.
>>
>>27356990

Also, furries in denial. Don't forget.
>>
>>27357801
>reformed starlight trying to destroy the world. again.
why?
>>
>>27357788
It is our characters playing different characters, only Heart's Warming Eve did that, and that was a play.
>>
File: 1443551895885.jpg (112 KB, 960x685) Image search: [Google]
1443551895885.jpg
112 KB, 960x685
>>27357745
I'm not going anywhere mainly because I can't, please send help, I've seen much worse than a couple of boot-licking dumbasses on the internet.
>>
>>27357801
It's one of those weird things where even if you know it isn't the character diegetically, the character being projected into the in-story character is used intentionally, and consequently they undergo a parallel arc.

Twilight is telling this story as though Snowfall really is Starlight, or vice versa, because they're both going through the same conflict in different extremes. It's Twilight's way of saying why the holiday should be important to Starlight, and she doesn't want her to be a Scrooge even if she never went so far as to desire the end of Hearth's Warming.

Ultimately, both characters undergo the same kind of transformation (although in different degrees, with Starlight obviously being the less extreme), all while using the same character model to represent both of them.
>>
>>27357820
>being in a place dedicated to a show you hate
>insulting the people who dont hate it
you have zero sense of self awareness.
>>
>>27357958
I am not saying that the episode was badly made, I am disappointed that the huge amount of effort was put into an episode that amounts to little by its concept.

It is not execution, it is concept.
>>
File: 1395762800887.jpg (121 KB, 582x720) Image search: [Google]
1395762800887.jpg
121 KB, 582x720
>>27357997
I don't hate MLP, I LOVE it. Only due to my complete and utter devotion am I capable of reaching such a deep hatred for people who ignore glaring flaws and settle for mediocrity, even going as far to delude themselves into thinking there is no room for improvement. Or perhaps their view is so shallow they simply cannot find any error since it is within themself to begin with.
>>
File: 1414817853294.gif (142 KB, 550x301) Image search: [Google]
1414817853294.gif
142 KB, 550x301
>>27358098
we both watch the same episodes, the difference is i look for things to like, and you look for things to hate.
>>
>>27358007
That's understandable. It's just a matter of what you really wanted out of it.

As an MLP adaptation of A Christmas Carol, which is what I prefer to see it as, it's pretty substantial. It works in the same way that the Muppets/Mickey Mouse specials worked -- it didn't do much as far as having a special twist or subverting the old tropes (apart from the Wendigo twist to make it more Hearth's Warming and less our Christmas), but instead was a surprisingly respectful and faithful version, fitting characters to their respective roles in the best way it knew how while still adding its own variant of having Scrooge being a Grinchy magician.

If you're looking for something a little more oriented in parody or pastiche, it might not be up to tastes, and this episode likely won't go down in the listing of great Christmas Carol adaptations. But then again, MLP isn't so much interested in that sort of thing and just wanted to tell a familiar story with its own characters, and that's perfectly fine.
>>
>>27356990
>because after a certain point the show no longer appealed to them

I think when it comes to fandom output there's a far bigger factor of following the flock to the next big thing. Which was Frozen. And after that SU.
>>
>>27357361
No, my problem is exactly the episode. It was bad, even if we desmiss the fact of it being seasonally out of place.

We learn that Starlight doesn't like celebrations. It's an interesting fact that would make an interesting friendship lesson. Twilight could've learnt the reason why Starlight preferred not to celebrate, and help her to overcome whatever this reason it might've been. Or maybe Twilight herself could've learnt that some people just prefer not to celebrate and that's ok.
But instead the writers went with Twilight telling the story(as it would realistically change anyone views).

The premise of this story where the main character who apparently hates(or rather doesn't care about) the holiday, decides to destroy it for a simple reason that she failed to cast a spell due to it being kind of noisy outside, was already fucking stupid. Never mind the fact, that closing curtains was good enough of a measure to come up, and actually almost cast an even more complex spell. Even the writers recognized it was stupid, but as they had already made up a stupid ass reason for Starlight to become evil in the first place, they just went with it "Well, you see, Starlight's reason was stupid too". Like something stupid which has already taken place in the universe would make new lazy reason any less ludicrous for the viewer.
Then the standard shit with 3 spirits started (Although guess what we have only 22 minutes, so no decent character development for you, sorry). We learn that apparently being told by a teacher that something is bad makes you hate that thing even though you liked it, but if someone showed you this particular moment of your life you would change your view almost instantly.
Guess what, that was enough, Snow Frost changed her view. But no, wait there's yet 2 spirits left, and 3 songs!
Next, there was Pinkie. Nothing special she just showed that the whole idea of making Equestria a better place was an impossible to accomplish idea. cont
>>
File: 1376260646581.png (607 KB, 450x900) Image search: [Google]
1376260646581.png
607 KB, 450x900
>>27358120
I don't look for anything, I see the whole picture with full clarity and have to create my own opinion on it without dismissing a single article. No matter the size, a right does not undo a wrong. I am the prisoner, the judge and the executioner. I suffer and punish because I truly care.
>>
>>27357361
>>27358293
cont. Because it's apparently already a perfect place. Although perhaps it was the case only on Heart warming's eves? In this case there would be no reason for Snow Frost to change her view, would there?
But guess what even if all the shit that happened wouldn't have changed her mind. The last spirit gotcha. The windigoes were real(remember it's a story). And basically the only reason they hadn't fucked up ponies shit is because they're evil toy making corporation or something. Otherwise we're to assume that the Heart warming's eve is the only time pony behave in a friendly manner, all other time they keep arguing and use each other.
That was enough to safe the celebration. Star Frost decided to cease her attempts to make Equestria better through hard work and she has been partying ever since.
From this wonderful but nonsensical story. Starlight learns that it doesn't matter if she doesn't want to celebrate the holiday, she just has to otherwise Equestria will be fucked I guess. Oh wait, it actually doesn't matter, there're like thousands of others ponies who will do it anyway, so she could just do her thing anyway. Well, so what do we have here.
So what we got from this episode? We learned that ponies have some of the most retarded and bad written fictional stories there're. Also we learnt that if you don't celebrate a holiday you will die. And of course we listened to songs, some of which was great I admit, but hardly it in any way makes this episode any less bad.
>>
>>27358304
>we learnt that if you don't celebrate a holiday you will die
we learned that back in season 3 when the crystal empire had to celebrate the crystal fair to power a crystal heart to destroy sombra.
we learned back in season 2 that the point is to bring ponies close together with love to keep the windigos away.
>>
Spikefags are the worst. I saw you faggots in the sticky, audibly ejaculating over Spike being a "bad-ass snarky motherfucker" by stating blatantly obvious, on-the-nose remarks.
>"isn't it a tad much for her to do something evil?"
>"HUR DUR SEZ DUH PONI WHO DID SOMETHING EVUL" *le smug sip little faget doesn't even know the Tu Quo Que he just commited
>Spikefags: 10/10 episode, almost as good as literally-perfect GoF because Spike deserves only utterly flawless character traits and pinnacle wit! xD

Spike was pretty well characterized in SaYS and Equestria Games was pure Kino.
>>
File: replying to an autist.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
replying to an autist.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>27359128
i didnt understand your rant.
>>
If you thought this episode was boring then you're an asshole with ADD and no appreciation of songs.
>>
>>27359261
It was boring, but it wasn't a bad episode.
It just didn't have our main cast in it, thus it had little effect on continuity.
It was a rehashed plot too.
>>
>>27358304
Now that's what I call autism. And neurosis too.

Ans stupidity. Read: >>27358664

>>27359213
Neither did he.
>>
>>27359270
Congrats, you have ADD. You also don't know the difference between 'rehash' and 'adaptation'. Scrooge never tried to destroy Xmas.
>>
File: 1428361777929.jpg (383 KB, 851x1024) Image search: [Google]
1428361777929.jpg
383 KB, 851x1024
>>27359213
You're interpretation a shit and I am objectively correct.
Spike is a better character when he exhibits flaws.
Your next move will be throwing out another ad-hom reaction image and acting dismissive.
>>
File: boop.png (272 KB, 796x527) Image search: [Google]
boop.png
272 KB, 796x527
>>27356647
>Half the board
It's only like 10% that rattle their cages the loudest even when the episode is unquestionably good. Don't let how loud they are fool you into thinking they're that big.
>>
>>27359283
I'm not an asshole though.
>>
>>27359313
>shouting in all caps using greentext and exaggerated le xD remarks
>actually claiming your opinion is objectively correct
why would i need to argue with that?
>>
Spike doesn't even have to have a major role in an episode to piss people who hate him off. Just one line. I love it.
>>
File: 338585.gif (297 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
338585.gif
297 KB, 500x375
>>27359392
>tfw spikefag
>>
File: lookin @ u from my high horse.png (373 KB, 647x519) Image search: [Google]
lookin @ u from my high horse.png
373 KB, 647x519
>>27359369
I'll take that as concession for my win, thank you.
>Spikefags
>In charge of defending their wishfulfillment
>>
File: popcorn.gif (197 KB, 293x199) Image search: [Google]
popcorn.gif
197 KB, 293x199
>>27359414
take it any way you like it friend.
>>
>>27356647
I fucking hate episodes that are like "how DARE you think a different way".

If Twilight just respected Starlight's choice, this entire episode wouldn't have happened! Fuck episodes like this! There was nothing wrong with not engaging in Hearths Warming
>>
>>27356897
Yes, that is exactly what they should be doing. It's been four years. What in the world are they staying for?
>>
>>27359493
But doesn't this showcase that Twilight is still flawed?
>>
>>27359493
she never had any friends to celebrate it with.
>>
>>27359414
Spike was being blunt when he shouldn't have really been. It was funny and all, but it also was a character fault. Just like him talking about presents and candy. You know, it's possible for something to be awesome and good for a character at the same time.
>>
>>27359452
So tell me: why do you like Spike if you hate when he's depicted with flaws? As a writer, I can appreciate a well-rounded character without said character delving into Gary Stu territory. Most Spikefags I've encountered emphasized that they like his sarcastic and heroic traits, yet at the same time abhor him any time he's depicted as the naive young child that he is.
>>
>>27359567
Can't there be a balance? Come on, he can make one joke about how silly it is for Starlight of all ponies to find something too extreme. He's just saying what Twilight (or likely, the audience) is thinking.
>>
>>27356821
>im starlight glimmer and christmas sucks
>well now i know that christmas is pretty good

compared to

>we're the cmc and we know that cutie marks are awesome
>well now we know that we have our cutie marks
>>
>>27359567
in the beginning, while he was the butt of jokes, he was also the voice of reason. being the voice of reason takes wisdom, something a child doesnt possess. despite the way faust played up him being a "baby" dragon, she treated him like an adult and gave him a full list of responsibilities. the problem is the want to treat him as both a clumsy, baby idiot, and then turn around and treat him as an snarky, intelligent, responsible, heroic adult. they cant have it both ways, and having such contradicting representations annoys people. since the former is a shitty character design any way you slice it, people prefer the latter to be his actual representation.

really it depends on what you see as a flaw. being snarky and blunt could be viewed as flaws, since it isnt very tactful. at the same time, he shines when the chips are down and people need him. seems well rounded to me that way.

of course, as a writer, you should have already known all of this since you pay attention to character details, right?
>>
>>27359685
This. It's very difficult to make a character who is an annoying child that can't do anything right into a compelling character.
>>
>>27359665
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>27359685
One of Spike's worst episodes happened in S1 though, the one that easily portrayed him as an annoying kid.

Spike didn't get better until Meghan McCarthy took over.
>>
>>27359563
>>27359644
Being dry and blunt hardly qualifies as a significant flaw. Being an endearing asshole may win over the general audience, but it's terribly basic characterization.
I'd like to point out the one time AJ made a blunt honest statement it didn't hold over so well here, as people pointed out how forced it was for the sake of a joke. What an amusing coincidence that when Spike does it he gets a free pass and lauded for it.
The worst part of it is people like Slashy forcing staff to integrate more of this fan-interpretation onto the character, shaping the ideals to align with their own. I don't agree with this interpretation and I don't agree with fan intervention. Spike as a character has always been perfectly fine without needing to fall into a niche that the fandom wants.

>>27359685
I disagree that those traits are mutually exclusive, and it does a real disservice to the character they did establish with him while simultaneously falling in line with my previously defined discussions with other Spikefags who irrationally dismiss aspects of the character they dislike.
I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but the only time I can think where he was deliberately shown as "clumsy" was the one mis-characterization of him in SaYS, and what you refer to as "baby idiot" (way to downplay the trait with negative connotation, btw) I'd think of as youthful naivete. Let me give you >>27359798 and you an example of how it worked best and why Equestria Games is perhaps the single greatest Spike episode among his other criminally underrated episodes:

EG showcased his youthful fervor in wanting to prove himself, but due to his lack of worldly experience and tact he predictably fucks it up multiple times. You might be thinking "well, that just meant the episode was shitting on him without a break and he was just written poorly in it." Hold your horses now, we aren't necessarily talking Princess Spike here [cont.]
>>
File: Utter disdain.jpg (25 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
Utter disdain.jpg
25 KB, 400x462
>>27359943
Where the episode succeeds is that despite his lack of success and despite failing at proving himself to be the hero everyone else saw him as, when the threat of danger became real and the ponies in the stadium needed his help he stepped in to save them outside of his desire to get recognition for it and without letting his self-doubt get in the way, showing that his heroism isn't driven by his ego and isn't faltered by his emotions. Not quite inline with the message of the episode; that in order to feel better about yourself you can't dwell on mistakes, which was also a pretty good lesson.

>>27359907
>One of Spike's worst episodes happened in S1
>pic related
OWtEW was a good episode and season 1 was literally perfect.
fite me fagit
>>
this board has gone to shit since S6 started
>>
>>27359943
>I disagree that those traits are mutually exclusive
in this example, ill use SaYS. in it, spike becomes a clumsy idiot who cant even clean properly, which is literally all he ever does, ever. its counter representative of his character.

>Equestria Games
im actually one of the spikefags who also defend this episode as a great representation of spike. he can be snarky and a bit of a dork, but it also shows off some of his better traits. it takes immeasurable amounts of courage and honor to do something you know is going to embarrass you in front of thousands based solely on your word that you would do it.
as i mentioned earlier, when the chips are down and people need him is when he shines, which is what he did here. he didnt run away from the danger like many others were trying to do, he charged directly at it. he does this quite often, and its by far his most admirable trait.

however, in this episode they didnt treat him like a child or an idiot, so i dont know why you used that as an example to support your theory that those traits arent mutually exclusive with being a responsible adult.
>>
I agree with you that Equestria Games is underrated. I also agree with your interpretation of SaYS. What I don't agree with is you saying that it's just fans demanding a bigger more important role for him, he's super relevant to the show's story. Really, only Princess Spike was that bad.

And really, using him like this is preferable to bad slapstick, honestly. At least being a sarcastic little shit is funnier.
>>
>>27360106
>What I don't agree with is you saying that it's just fans demanding a bigger more important role for him
are you sure im the right person? i dont recall saying anything like that.
>>
>>27356647

Fuck 'em if they can't take it.
>>
>>27359943
Spike has been better this season than he has ever been. If this is what Spike pandering is, then the fans did a good thing.
>>
>>27360132
Were you >>27359943?

Also this. >>27360183
>>
File: 347248.png (4 KB, 278x136) Image search: [Google]
347248.png
4 KB, 278x136
>>27360203
nope
>>
>>27360183
I love Spike this season, so much that I don't mind him being on the butt of slapstick.
>>
>>27359943
The Princess Spike fallout has been the best time the feedback was able to help the show staff.
>>
Jesus, is this faggot in this thread actually mad spike was being snarky rather than a cheap comic relief or whiny beta he too often is used as?
>>
>>27360241
It was impossible for them to change S6 stuff based on that. Gauntlet of Fire was written without the knowledge of the feedback from Princess Spike.
>>
File: Pure Disgust.png (301 KB, 496x414) Image search: [Google]
Pure Disgust.png
301 KB, 496x414
>>27357218

>It was a rehash of a Christmas Carol
Yes that was the point, and it was a damn good retelling of the story with ponies.

> we barely learned anything new
You leanred a tale from an old era of equestrian history, does every episode really have to have action and a shocking twist for you people?

>we barely even saw the world or characters we were familiar with

Are you not familiar with twilight, spike, applejack, pinkie pie, rainbow dash, rarity, fluttershy, and luna?
>>
>>27360246
you should point out who youre talking about instead of assuming were all telepathically linked.
>>
>>27360277
We knew the story behind Hearthswarming already.

That was just them playing another character, not actually the characters we are familiar with.
>>
>>27360284
Fine, is this faggot(s) serious mad over one single line?
>>27359128
>>27359313
>>27359414
>>27359943
>>
>>27360254
S6 was not locked down back then. They were still writing S6 at the time.

They are still animating S6 right now since it started so early.
>>
File: Relax nigga.png (171 KB, 638x358) Image search: [Google]
Relax nigga.png
171 KB, 638x358
>>27360077
Let me play Devil's advocate here and defend SaYS, at least in part because I did actually used to hate that episode and Spike's ineptitude at doing chores was terribly out of character. Despite this, he also showcases his endearing qualities in both his willingness to submit his efforts as payment for somebody helping him (his dragon code, which also showcases his child-like desire to be dependable and helpful) and it gives us another glimpse of his heroism when he steps in to save AJ, despite AJ uncharacteristically trying to trick him (another fairly sizable flaw in the episode, but I digress). 2/3 I'd say certainly isn't a terrible representation of his character.

>i dont know why you used that as an example to support your theory
It's relevant in that I felt it was lacking the flaws that I believe make him that well-rounded character. In retrospect it was rather childish of him to blurt out shit like an asshole, as kids tend to do lacking that cognitive filter most adults usually have. I would rescind my previous take of the situation and accept that he still showed that flaw, but I still don't like the remark and think the line was a bit too on the nose.
Also hi :^3

>>27360106
>it's just fans demanding a bigger more important role for him
That is the observable case. Certain fans pestering Jim on Twitter about how they don't appreciate how he's depicted, basically demanding that he needs to grow up. An influence I'm not sure will ever be evident since Jim'll just say he feels the same, so for me it's never going to be clear. Occam's Razor would dictate any change in Spike's character toward that ideal is invariably because of fan input, and I don't like it. Sorry.

>using him like this is preferable
Opinions. I don't take the occasional slapstick so personally because pic related

>>27360183
I disagree. I miss the depictions pre-s6, before mostly only his "qualities" were being showcased.

>>27360246
you're interpretation a shit
>>
>>27360284

>not telepathically linked

Someone doesn't have a 4chan Gold Membership yet.
>>
>>27359128
Goddamn spike was a little asshole. I would have beaten the shit out of him for being a little asshole towards starlight.
>>
>>27360316
Not early S6. That episode was locked by March of last year.

>>27360319
Well I'm sorry, I don't think what you're seeing as can influence actually is that.
>>
File: I came.png (38 KB, 419x362) Image search: [Google]
I came.png
38 KB, 419x362
>>27360313
Put it this way; imagine edging while browsing a gallery of your favorite porn, except in my case it's the opinions of Spikefags and it's extreme disapproval rather than arousal that's been building up.

Well, this thread just happened to be the porn image I couldn't edge past and was the lucky recipient of receiving a voluminous load of autism and sexual frustration.
>>
the only that disappointed me was that Sunburst wasn't playing the role of Snowfall's assistant.
>>
>>27360392
We've finally reach the point spike existing pisses off people who hate spike, impressive. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
>>
>>27360319
depicting a character with traits that contradict each other is why it was shit. actually showing off his strong characteristics at the end doesnt make up for this. so far season 6 has done the best job at representing his character overall, even though he has hide shining moments in previous episodes.
also submitting his life to someone for saving it isnt exactly in character. hes been in other life threatening situations where he didnt do this. twilight and owlowiscious saving him from that dragon come to mind.
>>
>>27360419
The problem is I don't hate Spike. I personally think he's one of the best-written characters in the series.
>>
File: CARLOS.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
CARLOS.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>27360425
>depicting a character with traits that contradict each other is why it was shit
I would love to see some examples where his traits and qualities contradicted each other, barring SaYS since at this point we'd only be beating a dead horse. And Princess Spike for obvious reasons: Spike did nothing wrong.
>>
File: 5685865368.png (150 KB, 500x472) Image search: [Google]
5685865368.png
150 KB, 500x472
>>27360480
>id like to see some examples of him doing x
>but dont use the examples of him doing x
simply flawless.
>>
>>27360530
>Can't even provide examples besides the one episode
Allow me to redirect you to: >>27359414
>>
>>27360557
guess that concludes your discussion.
>>27359452
>>
>>27360183
Spike is the best thing in Season 6.
Season 6 is Spike's season.
>>
>>27356664
This is a new meme, instead of shit/10 every episode is now >boring.
>>
>>27362192
>action episode of season 4 finale
it was shit.
>a christmas carol
it was boring.
>/mlp/
my taste is objectively the correct one
>>
>>27356795
/sug/ here. We don't need more of your rejects in our general. Thanks.
>>
>>27362281
>/sug/ here
so why should we accept your rejects if you wont accept ours? fuck off.
>>
File: whoathere.jpg (23 KB, 371x321) Image search: [Google]
whoathere.jpg
23 KB, 371x321
>>27356958
>>
Today's episode nearly put me to sleep.
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.