[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does this show glorifies xenophobia and ignorance? I know,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: mlfw16_small.jpg (13 KB, 320x241) Image search: [Google]
mlfw16_small.jpg
13 KB, 320x241
Why does this show glorifies xenophobia and ignorance?

I know, I know, but hear me out. We see it from Season 1 how earth ponies look down on unicorns - and treat them like crap, just because they have magic. It starts with Applejack getting angry at Twilight for using magic in Winter Wrap up, making her cry. Also it happened again, just last episode when Mrs. Cake saw Starlight make that cake for her, literally screaming at her. There are also other instances,but you see my point. Earthponies are xenophobic a great deal, shaming unicorns for their magic. For who they are.

Then comes the ignorance part. In Winter wrap up "traditional" values are represented as something never changing and untouchable by criticism and discussion. Then it happens again in Hearthbreakers. It's obvious to everyone that the Pies are backwards as hell, and clearly their Hearth's warming eve is some kind of twisted mockery of the original version. But the Apple family is scorned for trying to improve their living conditions, as if tradition trumps common sense.

It's subtle, but I definitely think the show promotes the wrong values with these thigns.
>>
>>27253391
>xenophobia and ignorance
becuz only saying unicornmasterrace is that bad
there far better complainings about their morals btw
go back to >>>>>>>>>>>>>>tumblr and take a blue pill
>>
>>27253391

>xenophobia
Not a bad thing to promote
>ignorance
>implying keeping traditions leads you to be ignorant

Holy fuck go to Tumblr already
>>
>>27253435
>implying keeping traditions leads you to be ignorant
I never implied that. There is a big difference between keeping traditions and being backwards ffs. Generally the Apple family is great in this respect, like their tradition how to make good quality cider (vs flim flam brothers) or how to grow Zap apples is great, and shows postive values. ie: there are things worth keeping and fighting for, that improve people's lives.

But what does the Pie family's Hearths warming eve teaches? Other than "eating rocks is good, because we're too dumb to plant things"?
>>
>implying the Pie Family has to teach something
people doesnt always have to teach you anything,also,both families learned to get to know well with each other after the conflict

if you think that everyone has to be special and has to teach everybody. anything for the shake of learning something different than their traditions,you should consider the circle for your neck
>>
>Implying keeping traditions is a bad thing
>implying ruining business is a good thing
>>
>>27253391
>as if tradition trumps common sense.
Stop being stupid. That episode had nothing to do with "common sense". Applejack didn't like how they choose to do things because she thought it was strange, not because they were being illogical or "problematic" or anything like that.
>>
File: mlfw861_130475750046.png (170 KB, 490x590) Image search: [Google]
mlfw861_130475750046.png
170 KB, 490x590
>>27253952
>Applejack didn't like how they choose to do things because she thought it was strange

But they are! They were just a bunch of weirdos. Who eats rock soup for Pete's sake?! That's the definition of a weirdo.

ughhh.
>>
>>27254121
No. It just means they like it rock hard.

Have I reached someone's maturity yet?
>>
>>27253391

this is where the writers come in to deconstruct and reconstruct ideas

it has to play out and evolve with the show, as we can see it is already delving into more, umm, subliminally "darker and edgier" Fridge themes such as female/ male relationships, work, "cults", the apocalypse and heartbreaks from childhood and more

it will get there
>>
wat
>>
>making ponies have different traditions, cultural values, and physical capabilities just like people in real life is xenophobic

The only ignorant here is you, tumblr scum. Don't you have a college lecture to be yelling about white males in right now?
>>
>>27253391
Two words: oxytocin paradox.
>>
File: 5685678247.gif (872 KB, 500x216) Image search: [Google]
5685678247.gif
872 KB, 500x216
>>27253391
>xenophobia
twilight literally wants a humans dick. shes a pony.
>AJ angry at twilight for magic
wrong. its only about keeping to tradition. in boast busters she explicitly says "magic is part of who you are, and we like who you are"
>ms cake and starlight
in any situation, you probably shouldnt show up at someones place of business and show how much better you are than them.
>tradition is unchanging
thats literally what a tradition is. it passes from generation to generation.
>pies are backwards as hell
>apple family trying to improve
>its just common sense
>implying your way is objectively better than their way
thats some high and mighty thinking you got there, friend. you should go tell the jews theyve been doing christmas all wrong.
>>
>>27253391

I've hired hundreds of unicorns. They're great ponies. The truth is we have the best unicorns. Don't we love our unicorns? Of course we do, but they have to come here legally. They have to assimilate.

In all seriousness, you are full of shit. There is nothing "xenophobic" in any of your examples. None of the earth ponies hold any animosity for unicorns, and they even praise Twilight's magic in Boast Busters. You are completely overlooking the fact that the Cakes and the Pies were playing hosts to guests that wanted to be there, and as such, they have the final say in determining how things are done in their house.
>>
That is not xenophobia, that is called social classes. Get back on that heart warming eve episode.
>>
Genocide, the only solution. Make it bigger than Rwanda and Holocaust.
>>
Look... I just think we're all better off in concentration camps. Not any specific group mind you, but everyone.
Everything is better in camp form!
>>
File: 1461639736902.png (483 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461639736902.png
483 KB, 1920x1080
>>27253391
Tradition is not immune to criticism, but Twilight's goal was to fit in and make friends, not to waltz in and play iconoclast to her new home. And Mrs. Cake was annoyed that someone walked into her store and upstaged her.

Either it's very good bait, or you are seven shades of retarded. The Roy G. Biv of lost chromosomes.
>>
>>27256901
>tradition is unchanging
>thats literally what a tradition is. it passes from generation to generation.

But they also constantly change. My ancestors rode horses, fought with recurve bows and pillaged European nations. Does that mean I'm allowed to do the same, since it's "tradition"? Oh and we used to kept slaves. I definitely would like a cute girl to cook for me, and a handsome boy to take care of the garden. Both of them to keep me warm at night. We'd also dance around a fire and make human sacrifices for our pagan gods.
>>
File: im reading a book bitch.png (474 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
im reading a book bitch.png
474 KB, 1280x720
>>27257344
those arent traditions you dunce.
>>
>>27257369
Why not? It was my ancestors' lifestyle. They worshipped pagan gods, they were nomads, conquerors, and everyone lived that way then, people, their sons and their sons.
It's tradition.
>>
>>27257393
>ponies have been wrapping up winter without the use of magic for hundreds of years
>its tradition
there are literally 5 year olds who understand the term better than you do right now.
>>
>>27257408
wrong, it was Granny Smith as a filly and her family that had founded Ponyville. She is definitely not a hundred years old yet. Hence it's not even a hundred years old tradition there.

And Spike even says in Canterlot they just use magic to wrap up winter. So it's not even a tradition everywhere.
>>
>>27253391

>I know, I know, but hear me out

lolno
>>
>>27253391
Fucking kill yourself with a sharp razor.
>>
>>27254121
Most ponies wouldn't function well under the Pie family's traditions, but the family sees no need to change because all of its members are content that way (even Pinkie was happy with what she had until Applejack brought up another option). Tradition does not need to be eliminated if it isn't causing problems.

You're complaining about other people's way of life being "wrong", despite it not being harmful, because it's different to your own way of doing things. You're the xenophobe here.
>>
>>27257488
>inserting your headcanon to prove canon wrong
if anything, canon dictates that ponies live for hundreds of years, and ponyville was indeed founded by earth ponies who have cleaned up winter without the use of magic, and thus it became an annual tradition for the town.
>>
>>27254121
I made a story of how one man can eat rock soup, so i think anyone would be able to do it
>>
>>27257565
>if anything, canon dictates that ponies live for hundreds of years
Only alicorns and ponies affected by magical shenenigans like the crystal ponies being banished to another realm.
>>
>>27257344
That's some slippery slope logic if I've ever heard it. Way to take that Anon's retort out of context in order to reduce into something that no one would would ever agree with.
>>
>>27257858
Welcome to newfags in real life: they can't use logic, think on their own, or understand morality. Some even think relativism is a legitimate approach to reality.
>>
File: b0pR2kt[1].jpg (56 KB, 505x549) Image search: [Google]
b0pR2kt[1].jpg
56 KB, 505x549
>>27253391
I bet you voted for Bernie.
>>
>>27253391
>Doesn't even mention Zecora.
>He's so racist he forgets the Zebra.
RACIS
>>
>>27257823
>[Source Needed]
>>
>>27253391
Unicorns are superior and absolutely correct to be disdainful of the Earth Niggers. Why the fuck shouldn't they be? They can do fucking MAGIC.

Anything else is brain damage aka liberalism.
>>
>>27253391
Maybe you're forgetting the part where they applauded Twilight for using her magic in Boast Busters? AJ simply wanted to keep to the tradition of wrapping up winter without magic in a traditionally Earth Pony town.
>>
>>27258000
Unicorns are absolutely unnecessary and contribute basically nothing to society, other than the tiny handful of a actually powerful ones. Most unicorns only have a small handful of spells directly related to their cutie mark [source: Twilight Sparkle in Boast Busters]. Earth ponies are neccesary for food production, Pegasuses control the weather. Unicorns used to raise the sun, but now we have Princesses for that. Unicorns are garbage-tier tribe.
>>
>>27258021
One lives of more than food alone
>>
>>27258029
Yeah? So? Earth ponies also excell in the entertainment, business, and fashion worlds. Unicorns can do these things as well, but had no actual neccesary function to perform in society.
>>
>>27258071
>entertainment, business, fashion
The listed in the modern understanding are optional for society.
>Yeah? So?
Try learning to think before you write, Europoor, because that's why your continent's being flooded with illegal immigrants, which is in theology and biology nothing short of heresy.
>>
>>27258098
I'm American, and can't understand your garbled esl typing.
Let me say it more simply so that you can understand:
Earth ponies can do everything unicorns can, and on top of that are neccesary for society to function. Unicorns can function in society, sure, but everything would run just fine if they were all gone.
>>
>>27253555
>like their tradition how to make good quality cider (vs flim flam brothers)
Except the Flim Flam Brothers' cider was perfectly good, to the point where Granny Smith looked visibly nervous when she tasted it. It only went to shit after they turned off the QC.

Which was AFTER the Apple Family brought in outside help, I might add.
>>
>>27258126
This is all true, earth ponies are the backbone of the society, as labor force and agriculture are necessary for our survival in real life. Yet, there's more than survival, and during the time the earth ponies farm and sustain the nation, the unicorns, being thinkers, create culture and perhaps even advances in technology. The washing machine was the liberator of the woman, not some communist splinter group.
>>
>>27254121
Chalk is actually edible and people eat it. There also are people who get most of their protein from eating bugs. Eating weird shit doesn't automatically = subhuman ignorant peasants you twifag
>>
>>27258207
Where are you getting that unicorns are the artists and innovators and earth ponies aren't? Earth ponies are builders, painters, singers, moguls, and high society aristocrats too.
>>
>>27258207
Most of the earth ponies we see are not farmers. They literally have every kind o job and talent other than magic and weather.
>>
>>27253391
>xenophobia
>ignorance
both are disjunctive to one another
>>
>>27258190
>like their tradition how to make good quality cider (vs flim flam brothers)
Sure their cider at first might have been amost or just as good as the Apple family's, but did you miss the season ending when Twilight went into the future where the mare 6 didn't exist and one of the WORST outcomes was the Flim Flam brothers going unchecked?
That there shows that tradition can be beneficial to society, that organic, reasonable farming is preferable to unchecked corporatism and automation running amok.
>>
>>27258312
>>27258339
After some time the earth ponies worked themselves up and left their farming lifestyles behind, comparable to citizens living in cities who nearing the beginning of the industrial age becoming the new intellectual elite, relacing the nobles. This is what modernists call "privilege": working hard, climbing the social ladder, so your children have an even higher startng point. "Escaping" one's own social class is only a matter of time and work.
>>
>>27258951
Ok. I mean, in the show they still produce all the food, but they had a society before Hearth's Warming. None of the three tribes are a monoculture. Pegasus might be closest because it looks like they can be conscripted at any time for big weather jobs, but I'm pretty sure that earth ponies have always had thinkers and artists. Their pre hearth warming society was apparently a democracy, after all. Agreed about hard work and all, though.
>>
>>27259223
Please don't get me wrong, I do think that every major race of ponykind had their workers and warriors and thinkers, but merely differed in the main layout of their respective macro culture. When writing, greens or proper, I gave the terran ponies the maxime "work makes free", the pegasi got "mens sana in corpore sano", and the unicorns had the "wisdom of olden times", either coming from or fitting the many scenes depicting the lives of their individuals. Assuming that the princesses' control over the celestial movements and the other two races' control over any natural phenomena, then yes, the earth ponies are the only one needed and wanted to do any profession. However, we eliminate the others' "mystical" justification to be part of their society.
>>
>>27258399
Nah, that there just shows that the current writers are retards who think Flim and Flam are actual villains.

The show's writing has literally become comic-tier.
>>
>>27253391
Got a problem with nature?
>>>/lgbt/
>>
page 9 bump
>>
>>27253531
Bad nazi horse, shoo.
>>
check your unicorn privilege
>>
>>27253391
I'm not racist, but death to subunicorns.
>>
imagine if someone tried to replace traditional christmas songs during a major traditional event with rap music or dubstep because its more cost efficient, modern or easier to make. Nobody would appreciate that.

Just because things can be better from a certain standpoint does not make them better from an absolute standpoint. Traditions are valuable and its not appreciated when magic is used to make their efforts insignificant.
they arent hating on unicorns for using magic or for who they are, they shame unicorns for not respecting their culture, a culture in which they as outsiders are a guest.
>>
OP's post is running low on oxytocin
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.