[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FiMFiction Thread - Now with 55% more generic taglines!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 76
File: FiMFiction.png (74 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
FiMFiction.png
74 KB, 800x540
ITT: reading, reviewing, recommending, refusing Futaloo's gets, turning your fic into manifestos about suicide, we're at least comparatively more active than the Writefag's Guild, it's alright to talk about an underage girl's developing body as long as you're not a creep about it, Pony Verbs a Noun, gore doesn't have to be shit, to humanise or not to humanise, lore and backstory infodumps, someone posts the entirety of these threads on some forum for some reason, fond remembrance of LtD, Voiceguy's narrations will end up being his downfall, general General discussion, Mary Sues, and deep pondering about the nature of edge.

Burnt out after reading that terrible retelling of a real world tragedy? Still waiting for your hardcover copy of Pirene to arrive? Well, we've compiled the best of the worst in order to bring you our absolute average!

>FIMFiction Starter Kit (recommended fics):
Winners:
http://i.imgur.com/vuTA7EN.png
List of nominees by category:
http://mlp-fanfics.herokuapp.com/

>How do I write fanfiction?
Ezn’s guide - http://eznguide.neocities.org/
Politics and the English Language - http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/
Vhatug's tips for anatomically correct clop - http://pastebin.com/g4VpEg4f

>Can you pre-read my story?
Post it on Google Docs with inline comments enabled and give us a link. Keep in mind that we’re too lazy to review more than a few pages at once, and it may take some time for someone to respond.

>Reviews and riffs:
http://pastebin.com/u/notkickass222urmom

>Voiceguy's readings:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt68MpmvEketmqOdHncHI2w

Old thread: >>27176030
>>
First for Futaloo. Also get.
>>
>>27232411
Eternal ponies get
>>
File: quadptcha.png (43 KB, 304x242) Image search: [Google]
quadptcha.png
43 KB, 304x242
The new episode really felt disappointing. Starlight's personality change is way too brutal from her old revengeful self. I think they really missed out on a good opportunity for actually showing a selfish person learn about friendship, instead of going from "Fuck you all, I'm bent on revenge and myself" to "I'm a huge friendship slut pls be me friend" in a week.

Also quads captcha
>>
File: Happy Horse Noises.gif (383 KB, 470x471) Image search: [Google]
Happy Horse Noises.gif
383 KB, 470x471
>>27232455
The day has arrived!
>>
>>27232455
Bloody fuckin' hell
>>
>>27232455
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH--
>It wasn't a futaloo get but a futaloo and a get.
Oh. Everything's fine.
OOT but I've had this very annoying wrongnes sensation all day, when I type my fingers are always too far from the center of the key and even my teeth feel as if they were slightly misadjusted. I hate when this happens.
>>
>>27232461

Maybe Starlight suffers from an obsession disorder that makes her take extreme stances on compartively minor issues. Thus swinging her personality wildly.

>lose a friend because he finds a special talent?

Noone must have special talents again!

>local government hit squad takes down your communist utopia?

I must change time so they never meet!

>leader of local government hit squad convinces you you're a bitch?

Perhaps in time she will become obsessive about becoming the best friend ever.
>>
Riding on the coattails of one of last thread's arguments, there's something I've been thinking about for some time.

There's this Spanish song, "Thursday", it's about a young woman who takes the train one day and falls in love with someone on the other side of the train cart. They take the train several times, but neither of them make the first move until eventually the guy tells her he likes her, and decide to go out.

The song ends with them kissing in the darkness.

The Thursday in the title refers to Thursday, March 11th. The day a terrorist group bombed four trains in Madrid, the 'darkness' at the end isn't a tunnel, but rather the remains of the train. The song is based on the diary of a woman who died in the bombings.

----

For a while I thought about making something similar in a fic, If only due to my nagging need of making tragic romantic stories. But the problem I find would be that I can't think of any big catastrophe happening in Equestria that would fit the kind of disaster I'd need
>>
>>27232671
>>27232461
I like the weird bits of her personality we are getting. To me, it seems like her being fleshed out. Her will to get a certain place in a setting that's unfamiliar is somewhat amusing, and I liked most of the parts in the "looking for quickie friends" montage.

I mainly liked Twilight being wrong. I don't dislike her, but I want her to be wrong more, and I enjoyed the previous finale mostly for Twilight getting utterly destroyed.
>>
>>27232756
For now she's not really fleshed out to me. It seems like a regression, her going to totally determined time changer to a friendship slut telling "jokes" about her wanting to enslave Ponyville. Actually keeping her close-mindedness and vanity and slowly getting rid of it would have been much more interesting.
>>
>>27232793
Yeah, those jokes were jarrying.
I mean, joking about your fuck ups it's normal when you've gotten over them, but she very obviously isn't. It comes of as if they try to depict her as being and not being over Our City at the same time,
>>
>>27232823
Jokes just seem out of character for something she dedicated her life about. It's as bad as Bleedin making Celestia laugh about NMM. I think remorse or hard feelings/isolation from the M6 would had been more appropriate.
>>
>>27232455
NO
I REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE A FOOTALOO GET UNLESS IT CLEARLY SAYS "FOOTALOO GET" AND NOTHING ELSE
NO
NEVER EVER
>>
I'm truly beyond the pale.
Can anyone tell me whether this is a worthy read?
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/147183/iron-hearts-book-1---planetfall
>>
>>27232461
I heavily disagree. Her only purpose in life until now seemed to be war on cutie marks, and now that Twilight crushed that purpose, she has nothing else to do and instead decides to follow her advice.
And it's not like her personality and habits changed completely on the fly, even in this episode she used a spell to alter someone's behaviour to suit her preferences without thinking.
She went "I'm a huge friendship slut pls be me friend" because she had to show progress to Celestia. Imagine being a reformed villain who has to prove to the leader of your nation and a superpowered goddess that you're all good now. Of course you'd try to do something to appease her ASAP as well.
>>
>>27232455
That was a close fucking call.
>>
>>27232676
That reminds me of a fic about two ponies falling in love on a train.
>>
>>27232870
>Warhammer
No.
>>
>>27232905
The ones were they had actually just escaped an arrangement marriage with each other?
>>
>>27232928
Uh, I don't think so? It was years ago.
And I've never read it.
>>
>>27232676

A couple "catastrophes" come to mind:

1. The Canterlot Wedding. Either have them fall in love on the day of the attack, or have one of them be a replaced by a changeling right before the confession.

2. Disappearance of the Crystal Empire: Set it 1000 years in the past. The confess their love right before the Empire gets banished.

Both of these also give you the chance to not make it a complete tragedy. For the latter, the audience knows that they'll make it out okay in the future, and you could even write it taking place after the reappearance, with them having lost their memory and trying to piece together what happened or something.

For the former, you can still pull off the original intent if you let the Changeling Invasion have casualties. Alternatively, it can turn into an adventure where the not replaced one tries to track down the replaced one.
>>
No page 10 jokes
>>
File: 176531_256.png (81 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
176531_256.png
81 KB, 256x256
>7dsj book 4, chapter 12

The hurricane has finally hit Canterlot, and by "hurricane", I mean "tornado with extra rain". No more details because this is legit rustling my jimmies.

We finally get some real info on A.L.I.C.O.R.N. They're working against the SIRENs, and getting help from Les Scars. Their plan goes like this:
>1. shoot their way into the heavily fortified SIREN base, killing 100 highly-trained and magically-augmented SIRENs
>2. shoot their way out of the base, killing the other 100 SIRENs
>3. kidnap Edgelord and Celestia
>4. flee the country
You may wonder if step 3 is strictly necessary. It is not. The boss man wants to kill Edgelord and fuck Celestia. There is no other reason for step 3.

Sandalwood (no, the other Sandalwood) is unhappy because he's being blackmailed into having a 3-way with his stepsister and some random rich girl. Later, he is unhappy because he just walked in on the Mean Girls (SIRENs) killing both of the other two. And even later, he is unhappy because one of the Mean Girls is currently fucking him to death. Also, a SIREN eats a cat.

And now, the main event: Octavia finally snaps, and along the way, we finally get an explanation of why she's been going crazy in the first place.

You see, Octavia has been slowly taken over by the evil spirit of her unborn twin. And by unborn twin, I mean the cluster of ~250 cells that was absorbed by the other cluster of ~250 cells that eventually became Octavia. That unborn twin has its own spirit (somehow), its own name ("Melody"), it's very angry for some reason, and also there's an ancestral curse or some shit, idfk.

Anyway, Octavia snaps, Melody takes over. Then Melody puts on the sluttiest outfit she can find, and goes downstairs to hit on Twilight, hit on Bon-bon, try to kill Sunset, punch out Twilight Velvet, and try to kill Sunset some more. Fortunately, Night Light shows up just in time to stop all the chaos by telling "Octavia" to go to her room. Which she does, for some reason.
>>
>>27234205
Please give extra details so I can wreck Chink.

Also

>Les Scars

FUCKING AMERICAN APESHIT THIS TRIGGERS ME EVEN MORE THAN FUCKING MIRACULOUS LADYBUG IN PARIS HOW THE FUCK DID CHINK EVEN GET THIS FUCKING BULLSHIT THROUGH I SWEAR I WILL KILL HIM AND INSERT A FUCKING BAGUETTE IN HIS TINY ASS
>>
>>27234205
>>27234232
Also,

>Unborn twin

I think that's more of a mental problem than an unborn twin. If that happens, it's not a free spirit, it's a single being. Cell specialization doesn't even start that soon iirc.

Seriously, this gives me high hopes on how my first fic will be received if this bullshit is popular.
>>
>>27234232
This is the hurricane bit, see how many errors you can spot:

>The wind buffeted the city of Canterlot and its suburbs as the unthinkable happened: a hurricane had made it onto land this far in with all its strength intact. Rain slammed into everywhere it could like bullets, breaking windows and scoring stone, concrete and metal. Winds howled with force that turned anything loose into missile hazards, pushing flower stems to the speed of missiles and embedding them in poles, throwing cars all over the place and the like. Five cities lay in its path and though the major one, Canterlot itself, would be mostly spared, the poorer suburbs to the south and east would be hit hard.

>Though the hurricane itself seemed normal despite its freakish strength and its sustaining ability so far from open water, there would be few that could discern its true intent.

>Seated in the storage basement of the building both their businesses and home were in, Harmonic looked at her husband. “I hope the girls are okay,” she said, her voice a lilt barely above the whistling winds outside.

>“I’m sure they’ll be fine,” Cashflow told his wife. “Besides, aren’t they staying in the part of town that’s not in the path? Trixie will be fine, don’t worry. So will Lyra and Bon-Bon.” He loved his only child, and was fond of Trixie’s lifelong best friend, but his wife thought of Lyra as one of their own as well; probably because Lyra wasn’t as close to her own family as his daughter was to them, he reasoned. And now with Lyra having a girlfriend, Bon-Bon now occupied a quasi-filial position in Harmonic’s heart.

>“Ah hope yer right,” Harmonic said, slipping into her native accent as she did when she was nervous. Oftentimes he had to remind himself that “Harmonic Convergence” was just an act and that at the end of the day, he was really married to Dixie Flower.

>“They will be,” he said, putting his arms around her. “Our girls will be.”
>>
File: stormicane.jpg (99 KB, 1180x585) Image search: [Google]
stormicane.jpg
99 KB, 1180x585
>>27234267
>Wind buffeted

Happens all the time

>Canterlot
>Can
>ter
>lot

A hurricane making it 2000 or so (my headcanon 4000km wide Equestria) into mainland. The fuck.

>Rain
>Breaking windows
>Embedding flower stems into poles
>Throwing cars

Tormicane op

Looks like pic AJ is real after all.
>>
>>27234302
>Equestria
>>
>>27234313
Wait, isn't Canterlot in Equestria? Or is there a second Canterlot on Earth?

Where is it approximately?
>>
>>27234247
>I think that's more of a mental problem than an unborn twin.
Nope, there's magical fuckery going on. All the info on the "unborn twin" and "curse of La Musica" and whatever other bullshit comes out during a long dream sequence, which briefly includes a statue of Sunset Shimmer's pony form. But Octavia doesn't know Sunset is secretly a horse, much less what horse-Sunset looks like. Therefore, magic.

>>27234302
>A hurricane making it 2000 or so (my headcanon 4000km wide Equestria) into mainland. The fuck.
It's magic, bitch. (The hurricane, that is.)

Also, in 7DSJ's version of EqG-earth, Canterlot is a city in California. In fact, last chapter they mentioned it's 73 miles northwest of Chico, CA. I assume there's a real-life city at that location which Canterlot is replacing, but I haven't checked to be sure.
>>
>>27234356
Even if we discard range, there's still the fact that rain melts steel and concrete beams, and that we only had 2 hurricanes hit the west coast in 100 years.

Chink should give this a read.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-hurricanes-hit-the/
>>
>>27234356
>73 miles northwest of Chico, CA
Redding is around that distance from Chico.
>>
File: file.png (158 KB, 760x482) Image search: [Google]
file.png
158 KB, 760x482
>>27234356
>>27234423

Chink, if you're here.

Please explain to me...

HOW A BLOODY HURRICANE CAN SURVIVE IN A REGION WHERE AVERAGE WATER TEMPERATURE IS 12 DEGREES CELCIUS?
>>
>>27234403
>there's still the fact that rain melts steel and concrete beams
Yep

>we only had 2 hurricanes hit the west coast in 100 years.
I'm okay giving this one a pass due to magic.

My favorite is this line:
>aren’t they staying in the part of town that’s not in the path?
A somewhat reasonable thing to say about a tornado assuming the path is predictable, which I think is not usually the case?, which is at most a mile or two wide. Not so reasonable to say about a hurricane 500+ miles in diameter.
>>
>>27234471
>500 mile wide hurricane

hurr derr merguc hurr derr

There's also >>27234465
>>
>>27234494
What? Hurricanes are legitimately 100s of miles wide IRL.
>While it was a Category 2 storm off the coast of the Northeastern United States, the storm [Sandy] became the largest Atlantic hurricane on record (as measured by diameter, with winds spanning 1,100 miles (1,800 km)).
>>
File: file.png (444 KB, 590x393) Image search: [Google]
file.png
444 KB, 590x393
>>27234572
No, I mean them living in a part "not in the path", not it being 500 mile wide silly.

There's also this marvel if you like it. Typhoon Tip, largest ever.
>>
File: I hate you all.webm (2 MB, 944x720) Image search: [Google]
I hate you all.webm
2 MB, 944x720
>>27234267
>Though the hurricane itself seemed normal despite its freakish strength and its sustaining ability so far from open water, there would be few that could discern its true intent.
>Though the hurricane itself seemed normal despite behaving abnormaly in every conceivable way.
>>
So... how 'bout dem fimfictions, eh?
>>
Found an interesting fic recently while searching the Sci-Fi tag for anything new (thanks, Knighty):

Broken Symmetry
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/301077/broken-symmetry

It's all about Moondancer and Twilight doing experiments on antimatter and time travel. And I mean real experiments, as in setting up paradoxes on purpose to see what happens, in order to figure out the rules that govern Moondancer's magic-powered time machine. There's also several discussions of what appear to be real-world quantum mechanical phenomena. I don't know enough QM to judge their accuracy, but regardless, it makes this fic the hardest hard-scifi I've seen on Fimfiction.

There's a pretty major Moonlight shipping subplot as well. So far it's been portrayed pretty well, considering the fic is all written from Moondancer's POV, and it seems in-character for her to be largely oblivious.

One minor thing I like about it is the way the author makes the horses seem like horses. Better than the show's been doing lately in that regard.

The major downside is that the writing is honestly kind of bad in some places, particularly during the first 4-5 chapters. Those "discussions" of QM often turn into pretty blatant infodumps, with one of the earlier ones featuring multiple uses of the phrase "as you know".

Overall: Read it if you like hard scifi and can handle the sometimes awkward writing. Otherwise, probably pass, since the combination of detailed QM explanations and bad writing will probably not make for a good experience.
>>
I'm looking at pictures of ponies in dresses and trying to figure out what dresses look sexiest on them. What happened to my life?
>>
File: 1443088727207.gif (983 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1443088727207.gif
983 KB, 500x364
>>27236553
You've made the right decisions.
>>
>>27236553
You've achieved greatness.
>>
>>27236373
>hard sci-fi
>romance is not obvious from the get-go
>long drawn out discussions

Seems right up my alley, Anon. On to the Tracking list it is.
>>
File: 1353233041163.png (206 KB, 496x603) Image search: [Google]
1353233041163.png
206 KB, 496x603
Another chapter posted for the masses. If you're inclined to read fictions involving new dragon, Spike and Twilight, let me know your thoughts.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/325277/the-ties-that-bind
>>
>>27237167
>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/325277/the-ties-that-bind
Huh...
Right, I still have that open in a tab. I need to be more organised...
Anyhoot, I liked the first chapter, so I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>27237196
I've been trying to keep it good. Thanks for giving it a read.
>>
>>27232870

I actually read that one. It starts off with some pretty heavy Warhammer stuff, and since I don't play, the prologue left me unimpressed. But they get to Equestria quickly, and after that, the story's consistently hilarious. The author gets a lot of mileage out of contrasting the grim darkness blah blah blah with ponies and their love and friendship, and the self-aware but not meta-faggotry way they're forced together was just a joy to read.

I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a mix of dark humor that puts the emphasis on "humor" rather than "dark," and fans of sci-fi action.
>>
>>27237167
An idea of "all knowing elder" is dangerous tool if You ask me.
Despite that, it's alright. Let us see what happens next.
>>
File: 1113440.gif (1 MB, 452x452) Image search: [Google]
1113440.gif
1 MB, 452x452
It's May!

Now that a third of the year is gone, how have you fared regarding your writing projects for this year?
>>
File: 1424660954412.jpg (108 KB, 1024x569) Image search: [Google]
1424660954412.jpg
108 KB, 1024x569
>>27237515
I see what youre saying, but I hesitate to call her all-knowing. She knows dragon history, and is old. She's mainly there to help Twilight learn about draconic history and the reasons why they do what they do.
>>
File: 1452392395697.png (115 KB, 276x230) Image search: [Google]
1452392395697.png
115 KB, 276x230
>>27238509
I have written green for three months straight
And some non pone
>>
>>27232461
It was okay. Would have been nice if they had played up the "Starlight sliding down the slippery slope" angle more. Celestia was really shit in it, though. It's truly an accomplishment they could fuck her up without a single line of dialogue.

>>27232676
Depending on the characters involved, canon's got plenty of choices. Tirek causing pegasi to fall out of the sky, Sombra and his edge, Chrysalis and the wedding.

>>27236373
>steam engines
>dirigibles
>8 bit arcade consoles
>antimatter
What? Oh, hey, it's on my RL.

>>27238509
Badly. I want to get three fics done by the end of the year and I'll be lucky to get one out at the rate I'm going.
>>
>>27234465
>Chink, if you're here.
...Are you being serious right now?
>>
>>27236373
Sounds interesting. Does it have an actual focus on the story, or is the plot there as a justification for infodumps?
>>
File: 1358300833341.png (97 KB, 588x592) Image search: [Google]
1358300833341.png
97 KB, 588x592
>>27238509
Fuck, I didn't even touch anything I started last year.
>>
>>27239093
>It's truly an accomplishment they could fuck her up without a single line of dialogue.
>implying she wasn't always a stuck-up cunt
>>
bumpus
>>
just did my monthly shelf cleaning

45 fics gone to dead/hiatus
7 fics cancelled
17 fics resurrected from dead/hiatus
1 resurrected from cancelled

maybe horse shit really is dying. in my experience the shit going inactive is usually balanced out by dead/hiatused shit coming back
>>
>>27241443
People lose interest in things they've been working on for a while! Gasp! FANDOM IS DYING
>>
Remember when Twilight let Flash fuck every girl in the dorm, she herself fucked Cadence and then Pinkie became Flash's second girlfriend?

Twilight is now upset because Flash went to a pool party with Rarity and 4 lesbian girls and didn't even touch anyone.
>>
File: firefox_2016-05-01_18-08-59.png (111 KB, 1397x775) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-05-01_18-08-59.png
111 KB, 1397x775
>>27241590
Whoops.
>>
>>27241607
I somehow don't think this'll last and Twilight will go back to subservient and loyal within some chapters.
>>
>>27241503
>FANDOM IS DYING
one can only hope
>>
File: That was my reaction, too.png (77 KB, 726x279) Image search: [Google]
That was my reaction, too.png
77 KB, 726x279
So, this is in the Featured Box right now.

It's a _sequel_ to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" starring the son of Eddie Valiant. Now that FiM is a thing, the characters live in Toontown, but Twilight has gone missing, and he's hired to find her.

I don't know what to make of this. It's creative, I can say that much, but I don't how to feel about it only being 3,5k words long. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this could have been longer, and it probably would've been a fun mystery/comedy romp.

Oh, well. At least Hoopy McGee is writing again.
>>
>>27242797
>Oh, well. At least Hoopy McGee is writing again.
No idea who that is and what this means.

Either way, I think that WFRR? is one of the best things to crossover with, since it's established as a crossover thing within itself. Then again, replicating the beauty of the original might be difficult, but if this is fun, I am just happy for its existence, even if I won't read it. (I hate fun)
>>
>>27242797
>only 3502 words
I don't know about this. How could you possibly develop a half-decent plot with what most people would consider a prologue?
>>
>>27242913
Heck, the prologue I'm writing just passed 5k.
>>
>>27242913
Yeah, I thought it was only the prologue when I first saw it, but when I clicked on it, I find that it's complete.

Odd...
>>
>>27239093
>>steam engines
>>dirigibles
>>8 bit arcade consoles
>>antimatter
>What?
It's magic. The actual explanation is that Moondancer built some sort of enchantment that produces a magical field capable of turning matter into antimatter (or something like that).

>>27239839
>Does it have an actual focus on the story, or is the plot there as a justification for infodumps?
There's a story, but so far it's mainly the story of two scientists trying to understand a new physical/magical phenomenon. The characters encounter obstacles like in any other story, but their problems are things like "a dress appeared out of thin air in the test chamber, now we have to figure out how the hell this happened". I don't want to spoil anything but it does look to be getting more and more high-stakes from here on out.

There's also a romance subplot, which is handled pretty well, though it's definitely not the primary focus of the fic.
>>
>>27243393
Sounds good enough for me. Added to RL.
>>
>>27242913
>>27242919
Short stories exist. You can write a good short story in just a couple of pages, it's nothing that hasn't happened. Some of the nominations were super short, with sub 5k words.
>>
>>27242913
>what is a short story
>>
>>27243467
Goddamnit, could you at least write an actual reply? This is it, I will shoot up a bank now.
>>
>>27243483
k
>>
>>27243457
And they were either experimental or simple SoL stuff.
You can't set up a proper plot, especially something that has a drama tag and seems to be a mystery story.

>>27243467
Did you just see the post above yours and decided to ride on his back?
>>
File: 1397597686023.png (42 KB, 200x186) Image search: [Google]
1397597686023.png
42 KB, 200x186
Alright lads, post a review of the last fic you read.
"It Doesn't Work That Way" http://www.fimfiction.net/story/325714/it-doesnt-work-that-way

An interesting attempt to establish dragon lore outside of what is traditionally considered in fantasy lore in most books and movies involving dragons.
It's an interesting concept that doesn't lack creativity, but having both males and females lay eggs, but only females able to actually hatch the eggs, seems dumb. Why would males even exist in the first place if females could continue to propagate the species without them?

as far as characterization goes, everyone was as they should be. Not a bad read, but the lore established in it seems to be either love or hate.

Also, throughout this story, I couldn't help but picture Morbo the news monster from Futurama shouting "Windmills do not work that way! Goodnight!"
>>
>>27243490
>You can't set up a proper plot, especially something that has a drama tag and seems to be a mystery story.
*You can't set up a proper plot, especially something that has a drama tag and seems to be a mystery story, in 3000 words.

Whenever I start making a point, I always forget to finish my sentence.
>>
>>27243490
>Did you just see the post above yours
No.
>>
>>27243496
Last fic I read, or last fic I've finished?
>>
>>27243507
k
>>
>>27243490
I found whole 6 stories under 5344 words in the Sad category, which is the only one I checked (because I had read most of those).

Now, I didn't like most of those stories, but stories can be done in under 5k words. Most books I read are short story books, and there is often good stuff in under 20 pages, which comes down to sub 5k words with A5 pages.

You can't do something longer than 5k words in 5k words, and that is one of the few absolute limitations. In fanfiction, things can be set up incredibly quickly, since the setting and characters are already there, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I mean, sure, you won't have a lot of mystery if you are done in 10 minutes, but from what it seemed, the story wasn't supposed to be some sort of neo-noir thriller, just something fun and silly like WFRR? was.

>>27243489
Also, I still hate you. You are sleeping on the couch tonight.
>>
>>27243509
either or. Just keeping the thread alive with horsewords.
>>
>>27243672
>just something fun and silly like WFRR? was.
Its only tags are Human, Crossover and Drama.
>>
File: 534472_v1.gif (2 MB, 350x264) Image search: [Google]
534472_v1.gif
2 MB, 350x264
>>27243672
>You can't do something longer than 5k words in 5k words
>>
>>27243672
I've never seen anything good below 5k. Anything that short usually has a rushed plot, or barely any plot at all.
I've never said stories that short can't be done at all, I said they can't be done well.
>>
>>27243772

If you have truly never read a good story of less than 5k words, then either you have the most incredibly shit taste imaginable, or you've actively avoided reading short fiction for most or all of your life.
>>
>>27243839
Okay, give me three examples and I'll read them.
>>
>>27244019
Not that anon, but Zaid's Scootaloo fic was decent for under 5k words.
>>
>>27243496
>review the last fix you read

Yea I enjoyed that story about nothing. It was enjoyable because I didn't read anything.
>>
>>27244059
I don't even remember the last fic I've finished.
According to my Finished shelf, it was a oneshot with 1043:27 like ratio about Starlight that I disliked so much I actually clicked the dislike button.
>>
>>27244019

I have a feeling this will all end in you saying "I read them all, they're awful, therefor all short fiction is awful." But whatever, here are three of my favorite fics that aren't just short, but that could not be stretched to novel format without completely destroying them. I'll even make a point to grab three very different genres and styles:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/80622/the-wrong-fork

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/195183/in-the-place-the-wild-horses-sleep

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/158936/small-town-charm

If you're looking for non-fanfic, I could point you toward some good public-domain examples of short fiction, too.
>>
>>27244097
>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/80622/the-wrong-fork
Hey, I remember this one. It was really nice. It got a laugh outo f me back in the day. I should read it again, sometime.
>>
>>27244097
>I have a feeling this will all end in you saying "I read them all, they're awful, therefor all short fiction is awful."
I don't mean to, it's just that you have a much stronger stance on this subject than me, so I could just be wrong about it.
I'll read these when I finish this episode of that chinese basketball cartoon.
>>
>>27244097
>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/80622/the-wrong-fork
Very short, well-written, pretty funny, I liked it.

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/195183/in-the-place-the-wild-horses-sleep
Reads like a weird kids' book. Very interesting, but not something I'd like to read more often.

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/158936/small-town-charm
Amusing little SoL piece, starring sarcastic season one Twilight as the main character, which is a big bonus in my eyes. Very well written, though the ending is kinda stupid in my opinion.

I stand by my opinion that only experimental or SoL fics can work with less than 5k words.
>>
>>27244655
>I stand by my opinion that only experimental or SoL fics can work with less than 5k words.
Don't forget about short comedy pieces that can work with a good setup and payoff in a couple thousand words.
>>
>>27244703
Honestly, I treat comedy as a subgenre of SoL in most cases.
>>
Post 99 from page 9 bump.

Reading any fic right now?
>>
>>27245610
Of course not. If I was reading a fic right now, I wouldn't be posting here right now.
>>
>>27245629
>tfw you've written more in replies to these threads than actually writing any of your stories.
>>
>>27245654
I'm 100% sure I've written more words while arguing about stupid, irrelevant shit in this thread than for my own fics.
>>
>>27245670
Ain't that the truth...
>>
>>27245714
Oh man, that's perfect
>>
File: FiMFiction cares.png (626 KB, 2048x2366) Image search: [Google]
FiMFiction cares.png
626 KB, 2048x2366
>>27245727
I also have the one with Poultron's quote.
>>
>>27245670
I'm so glad I've gotten a lot more tired of 4chan. I post a lot less, and I'm almost never caught up in pointless arguments anymore. Feels good.
I'm also more productive, but that's not because I spend less time here. Spending less time here just helps.
>>
File: fimfiction staff hard at work.png (6 KB, 410x66) Image search: [Google]
fimfiction staff hard at work.png
6 KB, 410x66
>>27245792
Yeah, I have that one saved already.
>>
File: I watch the time pass me by.gif (371 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
I watch the time pass me by.gif
371 KB, 500x375
>>27245801
>That was in 2014
Man, time sure passes quickly.
>>
>>27243496
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/327018/displacement

I don't even.

It's a Displaced fic written bad Bad Horse, who I know is part of LessWrong. I've never read a Displaced fic before for obvious reasons, but I figured a parody of a Displaced fic written by a LessWronger about a guy dressing up as a Psychoanalyst and then getting zapped to Equestria might be funny.

I feel like there's a lot of humor in the story that I'm missing, and if I had a Ph.D. in Psychology I might be able to appreciate it more. As it is, all I can say is that it's somewhat amusing, at least that parts that I understood.
>>
>>27246009
this reads like you had a seizure during typing
>>
>>27246526
What?
>>
>>27246636
>LessWrong. I've never read a Displaced fic before for obvious reasons, but I figured a parody of a Displaced fic written by a LessWronger
what kind of jargon bs am i reading here js
>>
>>27247229
Are you fucking for real?
>>
File: 1311609905142.jpg (138 KB, 1208x1040) Image search: [Google]
1311609905142.jpg
138 KB, 1208x1040
>>27245714
>mfw just finished my 130k+ fic while being mostly a lurker on /fimfic/
>>
>>27247249
He's just new.
>>
>>27247287
It's still really easy to understand. He's just an idiot.
>>
File: 1461609242948.png (563 KB, 1341x1057) Image search: [Google]
1461609242948.png
563 KB, 1341x1057
>>27241443
Pic related. Fimfic confirmed for dying. If only it were that easy to get off the fanfic ride.

>>27242913
Depends on the genre. Comedy, SoL, sad, dark--all can be done with short oneshots but I don't think you can do a good drama in 3500 words.

>>27243672
>fun and silly
>no comedy tag
>drama tag
Weird way to indicate it.
>>
File: 1462157763783.png (568 KB, 1341x1057) Image search: [Google]
1462157763783.png
568 KB, 1341x1057
>>27247359
WOW THIS FUCKING FANDOM DIED 3 YEARS AGO IM OUTTA HERE
>>
>>27247411

Yeah all these charts show is that there are a generally finite number of horsefucking enthusiasts that will join a fanfic site. Not that it's dying just that you'll only get so many.

That said, I will concede that it seems more difficult to get the high levels of acclaim that younger stories got for being even slightly halfway decent (you can probably name a few). Whereas there are doubtless hundreds of very high quality stories that go unrecognized because of a tsunami of constant shit that clogs up the feature box, and the uncritical method that anything even slightly well put together will get a 95% up vote rate. Making it a numbers game, and that's the issue in the first place.

So fimfic could certainly use a better method of bringing decent shit to a readers attention who goes searching for it. Or some way for unappreciated horse words to get recognized.
>>
>>27247359
What if they converted fimfic to a general fanfiction website? The site looks better and has more functionality than the other shitty fanfiction sites
>>
>>27247359

Man, those blog posts. What the fuck is wrong with the fandom.
>>
>>27248139
That's what knighty wants to do at some point.
Though I think it'd be a separate site working of the same functions FiMFic does.
>>
>>27248194
you say that like bitching isn't everyone's favorite pastime in this fandom
>>
>>27248216
This is the best idea
>>
How do you decide paragraph lenght?

I often find that I get caught up in narration and my paragraphs are always either too long, or too short.
>>
>>27248926
heard it was 5 lines for the ideal length, but also that it's good to vary, so long - short- long -etc.
>>
>>27248926
I don't.

It just works.
>>
>>27244655
>I stand by my opinion that only experimental or SoL fics can work with less than 5k words.

You really shouldn't. More authors should aspire to reach 5k words rather than 500k.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/172789/wyrmlysan

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/169348/the-curious-incident-of-the-robot-dog-in-the-night-time
>>
>>27248926
>I often find that I get caught up in narration and my paragraphs are always either too long, or too short.

A paragraph should be as long as it takes to get to the end of it.
>>
>>27248926
One "idea" per paragraph.
>>
>>27244655
One of the people arguing about 5k being aight here, I think that claiming something to be "experimental" can be pretty broad and apply to an enormous portion of short stories, which is one of the most experimental genres. Because of that, I use "experimental" only regarding to things that are really out there.

Either way, Isaac Asimov had some sub 5k stories, but I can't think of any other works that are in English, so I lack examples because of a language barrier. Still, man, you gotta believe man, I totes have read good stuff sub 5k that's pretty non-experimental.

>>27247359
>>27247411
Who cares, really? "decreasing in numbers" is pretty far from being dead.

>>27248926
Don't stress over paragraphs switching lengths, as long as you don't have 50 lines in a paragraph, it is fine. Remember that really short paragraphs can give an emotional emphasis.
>>
Anchor post, disregard me.
>>
>>27250231
The fuck is an anchor post?
>>
Movie information.
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/05/possible-my-little-pony-movie-slides.html

Are you ready for the worldbuilding?
Are you ready for the pathetic remains of fanon to get absolutely ripped apart?
>>
>>27250803
whelp if the fandom isnt dead by then, this'll surely kill it
>>
>>27250863
Remember when people were saying the fandom is fucking dead three years ago?
>>
Hey look, it's me trying to keep the thread alive with stuff.

https://www.fimfiction.net/group/210623/fimfiction-thread-competents

Come on and join the group. Were going to have a competition and Voiceguy is going to read the winning fanfic. Currently scouting for judges right now, and I've already sent two messages, need one more to who'd be interested in joining.

Working on a topic right now.
>>
>>27251496
>competents
implying anyone involved is competent

I believe the word youre searching for is competitors
>>
>>27251520
>The Joke
>>
>>27251532
one never can tell when bleedin is involved
>>
enough with this fandom is dead meme already ffs
>>27251496
at least describe what the competition is gonna be
>>
>>27251643
The competition is going to be with one topic, three judges and one prize. The winner will have their story read and it will be at most under 20,000 words. The topic will be something interesting hopefully.
>>
>>27251544
I don't know what you mean.
>>
File: 1419814259030.png (288 KB, 800x679) Image search: [Google]
1419814259030.png
288 KB, 800x679
>>
Every time I get an envy to write, I'm either in class or in a bus.

I hate my life.
>>
>>27252925
>I get an envy to write

You can always try writing on a phone.
>>
>>27252955
Silly anon, pointing out the easy solution

I write like shit on phones, even when hitting 85w/m on my lagtop
>>
>>27252976
So do I, but I still did it back when I still felt like doing anything productive.
>>
>>27253004
Well, that apart, there's still the fact I want to pass my courses. Engineering's a bitch.
>>
>>27253013
>>27253004
>>27252976
>>27252955
>>27252925
I know it may sound like a forlorn concept, but pens and paper are perfectly valid tools.
I had to spent most of my morning in a bus between cities, and magic just happens when you start doodling, regardless of quality.
You don't even need to carry that much, small notebooks that fit in your pocket are dirt cheap.
>>
File: 1405872610266.jpg (110 KB, 588x600) Image search: [Google]
1405872610266.jpg
110 KB, 588x600
>>27253088
>2016
>pen and paper
>>
>>27253104

If you can type 100+ wpm like so many people, you know the problem isn't the speed with which you can write. In fact, writing too fast is actually a problem.

Pen and paper can be very good for actually forcing you to slow down and think about wtf you're putting down.
>>
>>27253114
Well, since you put it that way... a phone would be even better :^)
>>
>>27253088
I use pen and paper too. I find I'm more efficient when I'm ignoring the lectures at uni and spend my time writing about cartoon horses, instead.
>>
>>27253114
This. There's a whole different vibe to writing on paper vs just typing.
>>
>read Celestia Code
>it's fun
>get on Luna Cypher
>after three chapters it turns into nothing but TwilightxLuna shipping
please tell me it gets better I didn't sign up for romantic drama
>>
>>27253778
I am sorry.
>>
>>27251496
I'd have to wonder. How exactly would this work?
Would it be like the writeoff events? Deadline - Judging - Voting - Results?
>>
>>27253778
The shipping is fucking insane for a while but calms down toward the end of Luna Cypher. In the third book (The Twilight Enigma) it's still there but toned down to reasonable levels, and not a huge focus of the fic.
>>
>>27251496
What is the comp going to be about Bleedin?
>>
>>27254387
There will be three comp ideas to choose from the three judges.
>>
>>27253801
Deadline, then three judges will judge, then judges will display their score on how well the stories handled the premise. Then grades based on each judges preference.
>>
I'm bored and have two days off work. Rec me some Vinyl/Octavia or Twilight/Sunset fics to past the time?
>>
>>27255223
Note: I'm not guaranteeing quality, just that these fics have the content you want. I've tried to arrange then from best to worst (in my opinion), approximately.

Twilight/Sunset:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/234937/fractured-sunlight
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/144198/long-road-to-friendship
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/305716/the-sunlight-project
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/266034/love-twiangles
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/286605/sunlight
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/155300/how-the-sunset-sparkles

Vinyl/Octavia:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/92137/syncopation
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/95013/the-royal-ponyville-orchestra (the rest of the stories in the series are also wirth reading, especially The Unbearable Lightness of Being Sweetie Belle and The Diamond in the Stars)
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2365/allegrezza
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/13477/vinyl-and-octavia-university-days
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/24/the-vinyl-scratch-tapes
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/319655/flip-a-coin-and-she-smiles
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/112723/watch-and-learn
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/166071/trust-me
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/31474/accidental-harmony
>>
>>27255223
I normally try to shamelessly plug something I've done, but since I haven't written a story with those ships, I'll recommend something a friend did:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/264329/sunlit-skies
>>
>>27255068
>three judges will judge
kek we'll have more judges than participants
>>
>>27255801
No... Don't be a meany pants...
>>
>>27255909
I'm just being real, homie.

look to our regulars, the ones most likely to participate in your little game. If they cant be bothered with their own fics, and they generally cant be bothered with writing contests, and they cant be bothered with prompts, then what makes you think theyll be bothered with li'l bleedys game of pones?
>>
>>27255958
Oh okay, I'll just keep voicefag to reading my fanfics.

I guess people just don't want a free reading.
>>
>>27256072
>free reading
If I wanted him to read my shit, I'm sure that I could make him. No one needs help, least of all from you, to engage Voicefag. I can just contact him.
>>
File: Mistakes.jpg (177 KB, 714x418) Image search: [Google]
Mistakes.jpg
177 KB, 714x418
>>27256116
Well, that wasn't a nice thing to say.
>>
File: A Faint and Curious Voice.png (1 MB, 1080x1402) Image search: [Google]
A Faint and Curious Voice.png
1 MB, 1080x1402
I finished doing some major editing to my writeoff entry.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W-t_sO9d9VyP9Fj8UgmBK2Q58ovsBRk5PpWpMUwvC54/edit?usp=sharing

I'm happier with its state than when I first submitted it. Either way, I'd really appreciate your feedback.
>>
>>27255958
I mean, I don't ever write anymore, but I'd be willing to participate in something along with you guys.
>>
>>27256660

Great! A little drawn out at the start, really tense in the end.
I would have preferred Nightmare Moon over Discord though.
>>
>>27248926
I usually do about five lines worth on the 8.5 x 11 print view for some reason, I never bother with web view before I start considering shifting to a new paragraph.

>>27250803
SHO BE DO SHO SHO BE DO

If they actually canonize the Cosmic Council I'm gonna be really happy.

>>27251496
We already have the voting group. (http://www.fimfiction.net/group/204388/voting) That's been our de facto so far.

>need one more
I have experience with autistic fanfic review competitions. http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/350591/fanfiction-reading-update-twyrants-kingdom-special

>>27253778
Once you board the Twiluna ride, there's no getting off. Seriously, though that whole lovecraft portal plot is cast away near the end in favor of NMM being behind the ship via mind manipulation. More relationship drama ensues, followed by disappointment the main plot was wrapped up in favor of it.
>>
>>27254265
>>27257167
Goddammit. You know, it would be so cool if instead of kisses and pussy eating they built the relationship more on getting to know each other better as friends and rulers, Twilight helping Luna open up and making her more familiar with the modern world while Luna shares her own old and forgotten wisdom, exploring the dynamic between her and Celestia from Luna's PoV and so on. I was actually excited in the first few chapters before and during the battle that I'd get something like that, maybe even a bit more comedic approach.
But the horse pussy game too strong. Well, I'm not going to drop it now, might as well finish reading the whole thing.
>>
>>27255958
It's not that we can't be bothered, most of us have things to do and other stories to write.
>>
>>27257940
>and other stories to write.
yeah? and hows that going for you?
>>
>>27258210
I spend most of my free time telling stories in some way or another.
>>
>>27257167
cool, who are you? So I can contact you on fimfics.
>>
>>27258257
Yes, I like this fictional story of yours in particular >>27257940
>>
>>27258450
Your eyes see but a reflection of self.
>>
>>27258464
God, I hope not.
>>
>>27256935
It's funny, I first thought about making the voice NMM, but then I wondered if that would create continuity issues, seeing how Twilight knew little about NMM at the beggining of the show. Then, when I was halfway through it, I realised the same applied to Discord, but I had to finish my submission soon, so I just ran with it.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. I'll see what I can do to make the beggining more engaging.
>>
File: cap.png (53 KB, 1267x362) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
53 KB, 1267x362
And let's not forget Applejack the conservative bible belt christian who as the only one has a problem with Twilight being a lesbian
of course
also this is mostly just a page 9 bump
>>
>>27258580
Whelp. It's up.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/327695/a-faint-and-curious-voice

Now to go and work on the other half a dozen or so fanfics I've got to write.
>>
>>27259399
>Now to go and work on the other half a dozen or so fanfics I've got to write
how about 205416?
>>
>>27259395
Only she acts maturely about it. "I wouldn't do it myself, but it ain't my bussines"
>>
File: tears.jpg (1 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
tears.jpg
1 MB, 3024x4032
>when shitfics keep getting featured, but your works get like 40 views each
>>
File: wakemeup.png (34 KB, 596x349) Image search: [Google]
wakemeup.png
34 KB, 596x349
>>27259459
Yeah, I'm going to focus entirely on the big B from now on.

If I could bleed 6k words in three days for the writeoff, I can finish this goddamned chapter.
>>
File: to-read.png (111 KB, 571x1165) Image search: [Google]
to-read.png
111 KB, 571x1165
What should I read?
>>
>>27262678
Read "Believing Stories"
>>
>>27262678
Salvation.
Then Lost Cities.
CiG is top tier, bro.
>>
>>27262678

Just going through the ones I've read:

Twice as Bright is good if you want some light shipping- almost friendshipping, really- with a nice sol/comedy veneer

Language Barriers is fine as long as you don't expect it to be super deep or anything

The Numbers Don't Lie is pretty predictable, but it's surprisingly interesting despite that

The Last Tears in Tartarus was 2edgy4me

Dearth of a Salespony was pretty low-key sol, and I didn't find it memorable, but it's fine for what it is

Lost Cities is great if you want something "literary"

Small-Town Charm is hilarious, and I like that it has an ending that can be read multiple ways

Lyrid is basically just Orpheus with ponies, but it's a nice retelling nevertheless

The Star in Yellow is a good comedy/light horror, as long as you don't mind wild mood shifts

Yours Truly is amazing if you can handle a bunch of main-six shipping, and still not bad even if you can't

Ponies Protecting Ponies has relatively weak writing, and I hated the ending, but it was pretty fun up until then

The Empty Room was okay, but pretty disjointed. The author's slowly rewriting it- I'd wait until he's done

The Witch of the Everfree is great snarky adventure- if you like The Dresden Files, you'll probably like it, too

Equestria From Dust I really loved, but keep in mind it's very much a mythology rather than a conventional story

Stardust is one of the better crossovers the fandom's produced, and can be an enjoyable first contact fic even if you've never played XCOM
>>
Thanks guys.

>>27262701
Isn't that one of those depressing fics where the protagonist is (possibly) crazy and Equestria is (possibly) just a figment of their imagination?

>>27262703
Yeah, at some point I need to go through his stuff and just read all of it.

>>27262803
>The Empty Room was okay, but pretty disjointed. The author's slowly rewriting it- I'd wait until he's done
I've actually already read it once, and I'm waiting for the rewrite. But given it's been over a year and still only four chapters in, I might be waiting a while.

>The Witch of the Everfree
I've already read it, guess I forgot to take it off the list. It was pretty good, though I wasn't a huge fan of the ending.

>Stardust is one of the better crossovers the fandom's produced, and can be an enjoyable first contact fic even if you've never played XCOM
I've also already read "Stardust". The one on the list is a completely different fic, "Star Dust", which looks to be some type of Twiluna thing.

I think I'll go with "Small-Town Charm" first.
>>
WHY WHY

Why can't I make my dreams come true? Why can't I write a 40k word long fic that will sparkle and dazzle and amaze people to the end. Why why why, why am I so useless to be able to create something absolutely worthwhile?

Why can't I become a god of writing, surpassing all the sad little woes of others.

What have I become!?

What is left for me...

I am alone, cold and forgetful. The pain driving me to insanity. What could be worse than not being great?
>>
>>27262863
>Isn't that one of those depressing fics where the protagonist is (possibly) crazy and Equestria is (possibly) just a figment of their imagination?
For a given value of "depressing".

It's still very well written, and it's engaging. Even if the sequel is dead.
>>
>>27262678
Twice is Bright is one of the best romance fics in the fandom and has really great characterization.

The Arbitrage of Moments is a pretty good read, although some may find it a bit pretentious.

Lost Cities is my favorite CiG story, and considering that it's CiG, that's really saying something. I definitely recommend it.

Salvation is also by CiG, which makes it a must-read as well. I personally it's one of his better works, and deals with some very mature themes in a mature manner.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne Room is a short, funny read. I'm actually really sad that there aren't more chapters; it had the making of nice series of short stories. Still, the two that he did write are funny and worth reading.

I haven't read the Dusk Guard side stories (Carry On, Definition of Strength, Old Habits), but the main Dusk Guard stories, so I assume these will be at least worth reading.

Court Musician is a pretty nice character piece, and I like the twists involving the romance aspects. If you have a bit of free time I'd recommend it as it's only 10k words.
>>
>>27262803
Ponies Protecting Ponies made me so mad, even though I have to admit it was executed in a clever manner. It just felt like it was crapping all over the central themes and messages of the show, moreso than any grimdark fic ever did.
>>
>>27263123

It wouldn't have bothered me as much if the rest of the story had been like that too. I can handle a cynical story, or even one that feels a little like a "take that" against the show's morals. But when the very end of a story that's been very much in the tone of FiM suddenly pulls out actual spoilers a "friendship is stupid, only an idiot would think it can solve anything" ending that completely invalidates everything we know about Twilight and her friends- or at least, about how magic and harmony- then yeah, I hated that too. But until then, I was enjoying where the story went.

The same author has another story that just got recommended by the RCL, so I'll probably check that out sometime and see if I like it better.
>>
>>27259459
Oh, and I did some heavy rewrites to the first four chapters.
There are an additional 5k words now.
>>
I wound up reading "Small-Town Charm" and "The Last Tears in Tartarus".

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/158936/smalltown-charm
I didn't realize this was by CiG until about five paragraphs in, when I noticed how incredibly well-written it was and scrolled back up to check the author. I'm not sure I would call it "hilarious", but the humor was definitely very well done throughout.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/33124/The-Last-Tears-in-Tartarus
Literally the edgiest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.
>>
>>27263201
>https://www.fimfiction.net/story/33124/The-Last-Tears-in-Tartarus
>2012 SSnE
Yeah, that'll explain it.
>>
>>27263201
>beksiński cover
>on a pony fic
Great artist, red flag.
>>
>>27262863
>though I wasn't a huge fan of the ending.
oh no. I'm actually halfway through it now. its not that bad is it? I could see it going in several directions, but its not really tagged for any of the more plausible ones I can visualize

>>27262943
>What could be worse than not being great?
being great. and then having to live up to it.
whiny bitch
>>
>>27263562
It's not bad, strictly speaking. But it is mediocre. Entry level shit, you know?
>>
>>27263638
Mediocre would be someone who has no interest in improving. It isn't really aplicable who is just starting.
>>
>>27263687
Okay, let me clarify. The ending of the story is mediocre. The writing is fine, but the ideas and execution are boring.

The ending is also entry level shit because it's literally the "rewrite the pilot" crap that every new writer seems to want to do.
>>
Since I have a lot of urgent responsabilities, I did the sensible thing and started to go through my Read Later list to see what I could find.

----

Explain, Soldier

> https://www.fimfiction.net/story/303281/explain-soldier

> 1,8k words

> Alternate Universe, Comedy, Random, Slice of Life

Shining Armour is running late, and fears the reprimand of his drill sergeant. Unfortunately, he's forgot to change back to his pony form.

Pros:

- For a bite-sized, SoL one-shot, it's somewhat entertaining.
- Does a good job of weaving Lovecraftian elements into its narrative.

Cons:

- The hints at a larger story really make you wish this was more than a one-shot.
- It's ultimately really bland. It lacks any sort of bite, and any positive point the story has is never explored beyond a few short paragraphs worth of jokes.

----

6/10

Nothing to write home about and barely above average. It's only strong point is the entertaining use of body horror and eldricht abominations.
>>
>>27263859
And one more because why not.

----

The Night Before Again

> http://www.fimfiction.net/story/59556/the-night-before-again
> 1,1k words
> Slice of Life

On the eve of her second marriage, Cadence confides in Luna.

>Pros:

- It's entirely a personal matter, but I enjoy short fics that can deliver a solid melancholic feel.
- Despite the story dealing with Cadence thinking back to the time she spent with Shining Armour back when they were maried--He passed away at some point--it's never overtly sad, nor does it try to assault the reader with forced feels.

>Cons:

- The story is presented in a first person narrative by Cadance, with no breaks for other character's dialogue, even though she's supposed to be talking with Luna. This could be a turn off for some people.

----

6.5/10
I don't have much to say, the fic is very straightforward, and accomplishes what it sets out to do in little over a thousand words. If you're feeling like taking a small, intimate look into Cadance remembering Shining Armour, you'll probably enjoy this one.
>>
>>27263859
>>27263970
>writing a 200 word review for a 1000 word story
for what purpose?

I mean dont get me wrong, Im grateful to have something beyond my own inane ramblings to put in the pastebin, but you shouldnt have to convince others to read a 1k shortfic. especially by writing 1000 words about said 1k word shortfic.

All you really need to say about a quick one shot is 'ey its bretty gud'
you know what you have to talk people into reading? 700000 word monstrosities. self insert, humanized retellings, blooming moon chronicles. that sort of thing
>>
Well, taking my crack at this. I hope you guys don't mind.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/327025/trixglam

A Oneshot comedy involving Trixie and Starlight, doing silly things.

There are some days Starlight Glimmer knows she made a mistake.
As she breaks into Canterlot Castle at the whim of her new bestie Trixie Lulamoon, Starlight realizes today is going to be one of those days with plenty of regrets.

That's it in a nutshell.
I'd love a review, and well,if you guys want something funny to read, this is right up your alley.
>>
>>27264557
Hey, I remember you from the writeoff.
Did you heed the advice of the commenters?
>>
>>27264557
>7k words
Sure, I could probably read that.
>>
... Wow, either you have short attention spans, or your ideal book is the Cat in the Hat! Guess it is time to pull out some oldies

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/42449/the-conversion-bureau-the-other-side-of-the-spectrum

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/204917/the-trials-of-a-necromantic-equestria

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/217612/diplomacy-for-the-strong

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/41596/past-sins

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/295605/to-try-for-the-sun

and I have never even watched the show!
>>
>>27264608
You're going to have to try harder.
>>
>>27264576

Hopefully. There's some things that confused me in some of the writeoff comments, but I think I took most of them to heart.

It's been doubled and goes past the original ending (And the major difference from the writeoff (That, and Phil Collins).

>>27264589
Awesome dude. I'd love that.
>>
>>27264630
Try harder at what? I honestly wasn't trying at all so it is hard to work harder at nothing. Here are some more greats.

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/66500/maternal-instinct

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/197006/a-hell-of-a-time

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/18087/the-best-night-ever

and, something pertinent to you

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/94735/dont-knock-it-till-you-try-it
>>
>>27262678
>Empty Room
Quite enjoyable, but it sags down near the end with alicorns based on the seasons popping in as villains for some reason.

>The Star in Yellow
A comedic lovecraft kind of thing that's done a lot better than you'd expect it to be.

>>27258313
xTSGx.
>>
Can I /r/ a fic?
Looking for Human in Equestria, but they throw him in a zoo. I think that'd be a fun read if pulled off correctly.
>>
>>27264962
>Human in Equestria
You are more likely to get help regarding that over at the writefag's Guild.
>>
>>27264974
writefag's guild is more for having your own content judged, I'm just seeing if anyone's already made one.
>>
>>27264962
a zoo? not that I can think of. closest I can get would be circus/traveling act, prison, or an arena.

maybe one of the YHaY permutations? since thats apparently all planet of the apes-y, then maybe one of those is zoophylic enough for you
>>
>>27264986
He was saying you should ask some thread where they bother with greentext. And it looks like the HiE general is dead now.
Actually he was saying writefag's guild has shit taste so they might know some HiE fics.
>>
>>27264962
Maybe try "Misunderstandings" or "A Stranger among the Voices". In both of those, the human gets grabbed by a traveling circus, and spends the first couple chapters trying to escape.
>>
>>27264962
what >>27265876 said.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/120686/misunderstandings
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/95461/a-voice-among-the-strangers
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/128177/a-stranger-among-the-voices
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/35169/The-Piano-Man
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/144701/gladiator

an entire story about a human sitting in a zoo doesnt sound all that interesting, so generally youre going to get a handful of chapters of a human in captivity, then escaping and doing other shit
>>
bump the plump rump
>>
And might as well do that again.

Bumpy bump
>>
Slow week, huh?
>>
File: Fluttercry.gif (524 KB, 500x265) Image search: [Google]
Fluttercry.gif
524 KB, 500x265
>>27267329
Can't speak for everyone, but I'm besieged with stuff at uni, so I can't spend too much time reading/writing fanfiction.
>>
>>27267410
>>27267329

What the first said desu. Exam session is almost here in most places.
>>
File: herewego.png (1 KB, 148x27) Image search: [Google]
herewego.png
1 KB, 148x27
>>
emergency bump
>>
>>27232411
Anyone know why a all of one author's stories' new chapters on fimfiction would never show up in the "unread" section? Did the author piss off the admins?
>>
>>27270552
'unread' section? is that new?
>>
File: Untitled.png (31 KB, 439x489) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
31 KB, 439x489
>>27270586
When the story updates it looks like the top one, whereas it should look like the bottom one.
>>
>>27270625
oh that. double check your settings? you sure its just one writer thats not updating?
>>
>>27270683
Just that one author. Not just one story, but any story by that author just do not show up for some reason.
>>
>>27270708
weird. no idea then
>>
>>27265884
>an entire story about a human sitting in a zoo doesn't sound all that interesting

And yet Slaughter House Five is regarded as a classic. Go figure.
>>
>>27270708
Send me a PM.
>>
>>27271237
Your user profile under the same name?
>>
>>27271237
>>27271254
Ah it is.
>>
https://www.fimfiction.net/group/210623/fimfiction-thread-competents/thread/251867/welcome-the-first-annual-fimfiction-thread-competition-of-competents

Here we go!

TSG and Zaid, whenever you can. Post your prompts as soon as possible.
>>
>>27270809
which, on googling since Ive never read it, also involves aliens, wars, time travel, knocking up movie stars, and optometry. its not like dude was just sitting in a zoo being stared at by hundreds of random passersby.

now if otheranon had mentioned a story about a guy who was briefly in a zoo that went time traveling, met aliens, served in a war and became an optometrist before knocking up a celebrity, well, then he could have been talking about nearly any random HiE
>>
And I was having such a good day too

>oh look its a 'Mythril Moth' shoehorns his 'waifu' into a story episode
>>
>>27271293
That's... That's actually a decent prompt.
>>
>>27264962
>I think that'd be a fun read
It'd be very, very hard to pull off as a comedy, which is what I'm assuming you'd be going for, as the ethical and moral issues would act as a lead weight that would sink a lot of the humor.

If it's something more serious, I'm sure there are much better plots that would fit an ethical/legal structure than "zoo."

>>27271293
Here's mine:
>Rainbow Dash is Equestria fastest flyer. She's broken countless speed records. She's performed death defying tricks. She's forgotten her flying license was about to expire. Oh dear. With only a day left, Equestria's fastest pony must now take part in the slowest race in Equestria: renewing her license at the local government office.
>>
TSG posted his prompt, where Zaid at?

I think I'll get started on TSG's prompt tomorrow or the day after. Today is time for Overwatch open beta and Persona 5 stream.
>>
humpu bumpu
>>
>>27273282
Scrambling to get a presentation done for Friday.
I'll post my prompt when I get back home later today.
>>
>>27273929
>doing school shit when theres horsewords to be worded horsely
sometimes i dont think you have your priorities straight
>>
Link me the last story you've written.
>>
File: Keep on riding.png (20 KB, 1064x330) Image search: [Google]
Keep on riding.png
20 KB, 1064x330
>>27276001
I don't words, but I'm saving that pic.
Have some stale greentext in exchange.
>>
>>27276001
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/325082/truly-here
>>
Saw a fic in the feature box titled "Catherine the great".

So disappointed to see the E rating.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 76

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.