[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the hell was this episode? I don't mind the cameo of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11
File: angryboops.png (1 MB, 2527x1377) Image search: [Google]
angryboops.png
1 MB, 2527x1377
What the hell was this episode?
I don't mind the cameo of ponies like Derpy or Vinyl (although I feel like they could do it a less in-your-face way), but so many things didn't make sense.
Why was Celestia such a bitch? Back in S1 she was the one who always cared for her subjects, doesn't have a problem with visiting Ponyville and engaging in conversations. Did Nicole Oliver die, or why exactly did she not talk the entire time?

How come that a meeting with the biggest authority Glimmer knows is not enough to convince her to attend the meeting, especially as an ex-villain, and instead goes to perform street art? Is she not worried about the consequences?
Also not that I really mind but witnessing Trixie knowingly kill herself was a tad strange.
>>
> Is she not worried about the consequences?

the meeting with Celestia was meant to show her improvement about friendship. If Starlight left Trixie at her doom, all her "friendship lessons" where totally pointless. Is a matter of priority, and i think that Celestia may understand.
>>
>>27228881
>Why was Celestia such a bitch
Because donkies are sub pony scum and Celestia has a hard time holding back her prejudice against them.
>Not worried about the consequences
Celestia is not going to do anything and as for Twilight, love makes you do crazy things.
>>
>>27228881
I think Celestia was mostly annoyed by Twilight's behavior. She knew Twilight was lying and making a fool out of herself
>>
>>27228881
>Also not that I really mind but witnessing Trixie knowingly kill herself was a tad strange.
Just a tad? If Trixie went into it honestly believing she could do it herself, then that's one thing. But she had no game plan here. She was going through with the trick in hopes Glimmer showed up, but she didn't have any clue that she would.

I mean goddamn that's kinda dark, there's no other way to look at it other than suicide, or desperation
>>
>>27228881
What >>27229118 said, it was very evident to Celestia Twilight was lying through her teeth.
>>
>>27228881
As far as I saw, Nicole wasn't even in the credits, they probably didn't even bother casting her. Maybe Hasbro cut her out so they didn't have to pay her or some shit and the writers just did something
>kill herself
Yeah, they didn't think that part out. They'll probably just cop out and say "she was sad and didn't consider the gravity of the situation" or something
>>
File: chief executive lels.jpg (25 KB, 502x391) Image search: [Google]
chief executive lels.jpg
25 KB, 502x391
>>27228881
>'lets only let the dark edgy princess have speaking roles'
>hasjew rn
>>
>>27229118
Remember a bird in the hoof? Celestia is a motherly figure. She shouldn't be mad or annoyed
>>
>>27228881
You know, if someone went back in time to when I first started watching this show and said

"Hey man, in a few seasons a character will attempt public suicide in a real episode of My Little Pony"

I would not have believed them. Also I would have told them pics or GTFO but that's beside the point. Shit this show jumped up an age bracket in it's content (plot-wise at least, not literally as they've managed to bamboozle the ratings committee)
>>
>>27229212
>is a motherly figure
and moms can be annoyed at the antics of their children. I think you're taking it too seriously.
>>
>>27228881
I think she was more pissed off that Twilight set up a dinner and the hostess didn't show up. Or maybe the last time their dinner got cut short too.
>>
>>27229255
If not suicide it was showing severe depression and lapse of judgement resulting in one doing terrible things to themselves without care.
>>
File: 1143058.jpg (55 KB, 867x529) Image search: [Google]
1143058.jpg
55 KB, 867x529
>>27229018
She could postpone the show, just perform it later, or actually be at the dinner with Celestia and tell her that she's so good at friendship she actually needs to help one of her friends out right now and hey, you wanna see a really cool show? Boom, Celestia now officially attends Trixie's show, her popularity sky rockets, she does the hoofdini trick, everyone wins.

>>27229071
>ywn live in the era of racial prejudice and donkey slavery again

>>27229118
>>27229158
That could be solved very easily - via dialogue, not condescending, passive aggressive grimaces. Alas, Celestia decided to be mute that day.

>>27229146
>>27229163
It was straight up suicide. Trixie knew very well that she couldn't pull the trick off. She didn't even attempt to mid-flight, she would just get eaten in front of a hundred or more ponies.
>>
File: 1331541003036.png (913 KB, 984x943) Image search: [Google]
1331541003036.png
913 KB, 984x943
>>27228881
>witnessing Trixie knowingly kill herself
whoa shit
I didn't even realize that
>>
>>27229260
She acted like a total bitch. Not just "annoyed"
>>
>>27229323
And Glimmer would probably let that slip if Twilight didn't come talk to her. She would still be mad at Trixie because she used Glimmer to beat Twilight, and so she would watch her die.
>>
>>27229296
It's exactly the same mentality as ledge jumpers and cutters. Attempting suicide or putting yourself in danger in order to get attention because you are in a deep state of depression.

People who do these things usually don't actually want to die, they just want people to care about them and save them. Sadly there isn't always someone there to save them and they die a lot.
>>
>>27229311
Remember that Trixie intentionally made Starlight choose between her and Twilight
>>
>>27229323
>>27229311
AND TWILIGHT DID NOTHING TO HURRY GLIMMER ALONG. SHE JUST SAID "It's your choice lel."
>>
>>27229311
you cannot easily postpone a show that you have already organized at the last minute
>>
>>27229344
>shouldn't be mad or annoyed
>not just annoyed
well fuck you I was only replying to the post. Either way it's not something she should intervene in. Twilight has the tools to solve her own problems now and Celestia no longer needs to give her guidance in a situation like this.
>>
>>27229357
>People who do these things usually don't actually want to die
And Trixie was definitely one of them at the last second as she saw she was going through with it.

Sheeeeiiiiit, that's some grimdark themes right there./
>>
>>27228881
>How come that a meeting with the biggest authority Glimmer knows is not enough to convince her to attend the meeting, especially as an ex-villain, and instead goes to perform street art? Is she not worried about the consequences?

It was basically a "FUCK YOU" to Twilight for constantly second-guessing her about befriending Trixie. Also, it must have been clear to her that Trixie needed her friendship more than Twilight needed to show off how much of an amazing teacher she was.
>>
>>27229399
Interesting anecdote. Most people who survive a suicide attempt where they jumped from a ledge or bridge or whatever actually recall realizing that they didn't want to die on the way down. This phenomena is actually eerily similar to Trixie's behaviour throughout that whole scene, her change of demeanor at the very last second just before she fell into the Manticore's mouth was characteristic of this very realization.

Shit was really fucking dark, especially if you understand the psychology of people who commit suicide.
>>
>>27229410
...or maybe she just cared for her first friend enough to put their friendship in the first place, you know, like Twilight would do
>>
>>27229481
It's not like kids aren't suicidal and don't watch this show either. That message wouldn't be lost on them. There's just no way around it. Trixie was convinced she was now alone again and still did the act not knowing how to get out.
>>
celestia has been mad at twilight before when twi lets the autism get the better of her

see: Lesson Zero, sure she didn't drugged the whole town this town with magic, but she was lying at her face constantly about her friendship lessons, not taking her role as princess seriously, I would be mad
>>
File: 1143115.gif (1 MB, 512x281) Image search: [Google]
1143115.gif
1 MB, 512x281
>>27229366
>>27229358
Yeah. They were both watching Trixie about to meet her makers without a hint of tension or anything.

>>27229390
You can't do that easily, sure, but if there's nothing else to do, it's possible. There are also two better solutions in the same post.

>>27229410
Sulking like a teenager is probably the way she's thinking, I guess I hoped for her taking the situation more maturely.

>>27229481
Yep, Trixie was attempting suicide, it was fairly straightforward. And dark.
>>
So let's recap the things arguably wrong with this episode

>Celestia not engaging in a conversation with her subjects
>fan favorite horses for no fucking reason but nodding to the fandom
>Twilight forgiving Trixie except not
>Starlight not contacting Twilight in any way or asking for help
>>
>>27229481
>>27229565
>>27229649
you can interpret the cannon scene in two ways, it can either be a suicide attempt or a "the show must go on" moment
>>
>>27229652
>Twilight forgiving Trixie except not
I thought this was handled well in the episode. Starlight even calls her out on it, and then at the end of the episode Twilight's the one who has to apologize to Trixie.

>Starlight not contacting Twilight in any way or asking for help
Help with what?

Your first two points are legit.
>>
>>27229652
Starlight acting like a cunt/autist in the beginning, ie big mac, in front of the fountain, with mrs kek
>>
>>27229717
Wasn't it already established that she sucks at making friends? The real question is why would Mrs. Cake go apeshit over Starlight making a cake
>>
>>27229717
It makes sense that Starlight, someone who has never had to go out and make friends, would act weird around meeting new people.
The only experience she had were Twilight's friend who offered their friendship right away.
>>
>>27229698
>Help with what?
the peformace/dinner thing? She could just tell Twilight that Trixie had a important event of her own she couldn't miss it without risking losing her friend and her friendship, hell they could have just told Celestia to wait a little bit, maybe even go to the peformace as a demonstration of their friendship or some shit, i am sure she would understand
>>
>>27229792
But then Twilight wouldn't have been punished for her arrogance with Trixie by looking like an ass in front of Celestia.
>>
>>27229812
So they had to act like retards for the plot to work?

>>27229652
Starlight's obnoxiousness when trying to make new friends was weird, although I guess sort of understandable. Only thing I do not understand is Glimmer not knowing who Wonderbolts are.
Twilight and Starlight calmly watching Trixie's show was arguably wrong. Twilight not explaining to Celestia what's up/Celestia asking Twilight what's up as well.

>>27229759
Fucking screwheads were endangering her only talent and source of income with their heretic magic and Mrs Cake is a strict traditionalist.
>>
>>27229913
Not acting like retards, but letting their emotions get the best of them, yes. Like human beings.
>>
>>27229913
you sound autistic anon, and not in the buzzword way
>Starlight's obnoxiousness when trying to make new friends was weird
define "obnoxiousness", i saw nothing wrong
>Only thing I do not understand is Glimmer not knowing who Wonderbolts are
Like she said, she was at the village at the time, and as we know the village is exclusive, no one ever leaves
>Twilight and Starlight calmly watching Trixie's show was arguably wrong
Why? Starlight knew it would work, maybe call out Trixie for putting herself into danger after the performance
>Twilight not explaining to Celestia what's up/Celestia asking Twilight what's up as well.
You have a point there
>>
It worries me the number of anons taking that scene so seriously.
>>
File: her face looks weird too.png (1 MB, 2527x1425) Image search: [Google]
her face looks weird too.png
1 MB, 2527x1425
>>27229930
>human beings
I don't know what those are I've been a soulless husk for the last ten years at least.
I can understand Starlight throwing a tantrum at Twilight and her "lame meeting". I don't feel like Twilight would obviously lie to Celestia about Starlight missing, I always thought she has more respect for her than to try that shit. What I refuse is Celestia just sitting there for hours, not showing any concern, sympathy or curiosity.

>>27230046
>obnoxious
Forcing a spell into Big Mac to make him talk, landing a cake on Cake, stressing out and shouting in public. Mostly the spell, though.
I'm not a native english speaker so I might be using a wrong word for that.
>Wonderbolts
Yeah but she wasn't born in the village, she spent her foalhood in civilization and Wonderbolts are a famous organization with a history of several generations of ponies.
>Trixshow
Trixie didn't count on that and Glimmer didn't really look determined to save her. You're probably right that Starlight would save Trixie no matter what though. At least I fucking hope.

>>27230130
Where do you think you are, anon?
>>
>>27229759
>>27229790
Yes, but her using magic on big mac because "he needs to talk more" is just dumb. Mrs Cake was fine I suppose
>>
>>27229146
>But she had no game plan here. She was going through with the trick in hopes Glimmer showed up, but she didn't have any clue that she would.

I mean goddamn that's kinda dark, there's no other way to look at it other than suicide, or desperation

Or, you know, bad writing. Like, the scriptwriter wrote himself in a corner with the idea that the stunt has to be the big finale and also showcase for Starlight forgiving her.
>>
>>27230228
Well it's up to you. The scene can easily be interpreted as an in-character suicidal cry for help or bad writing. It all comes down to whether you're a jaded, cynical horsefucker or not.
>>
File: 118496.png (375 KB, 420x670) Image search: [Google]
118496.png
375 KB, 420x670
>>27229652
First point is legit, Celestia should have said shit but

>fan favorite horses for no fucking reason but nodding to the fandom
There actually sort of is reason for choosing those two horses over say, Lyra and Bon Bon. It was the drive in how incompatible Twilight's haphazard choices for Glimmer's friends are. If they went with Lyra and Bon Bon, then it wouldn't make much sense because they're pretty normal (outside of the secret agent shit). I guess they rather reuse establish characters than coming up with 2 wacky designs who would only appear for a few seconds too.

Honestly, it was probably out of the desire to not have to waste episode time establishing new characters than they went with old ones. I don't think Pandaring was the sole reason. If they didn't go with them then they'd probably have to cut out some of the good Starlight/Trixie interaction just to establish some shitty throwaway characters and it would've dragged the episode down.
>>
File: Rarity had a nice dress though.jpg (362 KB, 1531x841) Image search: [Google]
Rarity had a nice dress though.jpg
362 KB, 1531x841
>>27230463
But why should Twilight not be able to have a better choice of ponies? She's the princess of friendship, she should know by now who is a more sensible pony to make friends with. Back in S1 I would understand her grabbing just random people off the street. Though probably even then she would have a better chance of getting a better pony than deaf Vinyl and Derpy.
On the other hand by then her choice wouldn't matter because Glimmer just got mad at Twilight and was more determined to befriend Trixie, so they might as well plug some fan favorites in.
I just don't like the "Vinyl walks everywhere with headphones and therefore refuses to speak possibly not to ruin someone's headcanons over fan VAs" thing they're doing.
>>
>>27228881

Fucking momlestia threads
Making all newfaggots think that the princess is so tolerant and motherly that she could give a tender answer to you shitting on her food
>>
>>27230599
I don't care about your generals, anon, I'm going purely off of what we've seen in the show.
>>
>>27230609

>implying you dont

Its been 3 fucking season since Twilight ascension
I think Celestia expects better things from Twilight, also she was lying to her a lot
>>
File: smug unicorns.png (675 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
smug unicorns.png
675 KB, 1600x900
>>27230667
So instead of showing concern, curiosity or at least straight up confronting Twilight as her direct higher-up, she decides to be a passive aggressive bitch? That doesn't sound like Celestia to me, and it doesn't matter if we're talking her A Bird in the Hoof visit, S2 opener, S4 finale, the second gala-smooze episode.
>>
>>27230768
>In this very fucking episode a point is made that Celestia teaches Twilight by staying hands off
>and it fucking works
>"why would Celestia stay hands off"

I think it would have been worse if Celestia had to put Twilight on the right path. Twilight is past that point in her learnings.
>>
Everything about that episode was so... off, that I was only mildly surprised by Trixie's suicide attempt.

Celestia sits there like a bitch, indirectly pressuring Twilight to muck about with Starlight's friendship crap.

Twilight literally lies in Starlight's face, tries to force other friends on her, and drives Trixie to attempting suicide. All in the name of impressing Celestia, who, again, sat there like a bitch.

Trixie guilts Starlight into choosing her over Twilight, with the ulterior motive of proving Twilight is a bitch, despite having some genuine friendship with Starlight.

And Starlight... was the only reasonable character in the whole episode! She's the only one who made any god damned sense, and it should go without needing to remind, but, she was a crazy-ass villain who enslaved a village because she lost a friend! Of ALL the characters one would expect to be irrational, Starlight is at least second to Trixie.

And all this isn't even taking into account the completely different VO on Trixie and the painful cameos.

Almost nothing made sense in this episode.
>>
>>27230838
But that hands-off attitude is for Celestia not being there for her 24/7 telling her exactly what to do, and for Twilight not to write to her and call for help over every little thing
It also doesn't apply in many cases, one of them being when Celestia's sitting next to Twilight, silently judging and/or pretending she's not fucking there at all
>>
>>27231268
>But that hands-off attitude is for Celestia not being there for her 24/7 telling her exactly what to do

The reason for the hands off attitude is stated in this episode. It's to have Twilight grow on her own. It's not because Celestia has a country to run. It most certainly applies when Celestia is present, it's her teaching style.
>>
File: imaloutriskie.jpg (2 MB, 1849x1198) Image search: [Google]
imaloutriskie.jpg
2 MB, 1849x1198
>>27231847
That's how I meant it, so Twilight can grow on her own, independently, without Celestia holding her hand all the time.

However, I feel like the situation depicted throughout the episode, where Celestia is sitting right next to Twilight acting like she doesn't care and that she doesn't say a word at all, doesn't fit that. It's unprecedented, when something big happens she usually tells Twilight what to do, what's her main objective. If it's not something dangerous, Celestia either is not present at all, provides some guidance, or at least tells Twilight that it's up to her to figure it out.
And now that the relationship between them shifted from mentor-student into a more friendly, equal and less formal state, this should apply more so.
I would be happy with Twilight asking Celestia for help with teaching Glimmer friendships and her giving some vague bullshit answer that it's up to Twilight to do it. Or if she at least said a word or two to the guests. I'm not happy with her sitting there phased out like the guy in the corner going >my feet hurt, annoyed that she shares the room with some plebs and visibly bored because Twilight is wasting her time.
>>
>>27229212
Twilights an alicorn princess now, and sunbutt expects a bit more from her now that they're almost equal. In Slice of Life you can see that she breaks character a bit too. She has some impatience.
>>
>>27232639
Twilight will be no longer a princess in the S6 finale.
>>
Weekly reminder that MLP is just fascist propaganda, and /will/ bend all of its principles and the entirety of its literary integrity to meet that goal.

>Glimmer a sociopath willing to fuck with other pony's autonomy on a whim, the exact same shit that makes her previous ventures into coercion wrong, and then literally dragging her hooves to fix it
>zero hint of this lack of ethical understanding anywhere within the previous one or two dozen minutes of Glimmer footage we've had in the rest of the season
>no serious repercussions, complaints, or discussion
>just a silently angry stare from Applejack

>Trixie the only pony to have ever known Twilight pre-wings that actively derides her title
>explicitly state that this is a completely personal issue between her and Twilight, there is no principle behind it behind having a tiny jab at her rival
>immediately resolve it, and have the one voice of dissent subsume themselves voluntarily to the authority of the state

>Twilight actively meddling in the affairs of others
>"I was wrong"
>explicitly correct voice of dissent immediately bows
All the while, we know she will continue to actively meddle in other ponies affairs, I'll eat a shoe if she actually remembers this throughout the rest of the season.

fug dis shit, boi
>>
>>27232068

>Twilight asking Celestia for help with teaching Glimmer friendships and her giving some vague bullshit answer that it's up to Twilight to do it

Maybe this would be a deleted scene.

After all this isn't the first time than celestia get deleted because the lenght of the episode.

Remember the deleted scene when twilight go with celestia to give up with her title of princess of friendship because all the Moondancer and friends episode.

But that happen with a Larson episode, maybe this is just a shitty writing form a newfag.
>>
>>27234753
Possibly, maybe the writer will spill the beans overtime. But while Amending Fences didn't really hurt from the deleted scene, I think that if something like you said got cut here the episode suffered from it.
>>
>>27234753
Twilight will give up her title as princess in the S6 finale.
>>
>>27234857
I can't even be mad at your determined shitposting because I would actually love to see that happen.
>>
>>27229118
That's the theory i m going to go with I would still have expected her to talk but it's not that out there
>>
>>27229676
Her initial plans for the show did not include the manticore trick if the show must go on she wouldent do it I doubt she had time to spread news that she was going to do it
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.