[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writefags' Guild
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10
File: muh pentagon.png (777 KB, 3116x2904) Image search: [Google]
muh pentagon.png
777 KB, 3116x2904
Let’s get hypothetical.

You’re a writer who’s been going at it for a bit now. You really enjoy what you do and put your blood, sweat, and tears into each story. One day, you decide to post it in a random thread to get some feedback.

Just one problem: no takers.
You wonder if you should even bother writing; you decide to quit and move on to something else.

If that story applies to you, then hold your horses. If all you wanted was feedback, to improve your writing skills a bit, or maybe just see how others do it, then you’ve come to the right place. There are a few rules, however:

>Posting the story directly in the thread is preferred over a link to Pastebin, FiMFiction, etc.

>One story at a time.

>Don’t be a dick or asshole when reading or critiquing.

>All stories posted within the thread must be pre-written.

This thread’s purpose is to encourage writefags all over /mlp/ to write. We’re laid back here. Post what you want as long as it’s pone related. We’re not all “STOREEEYS ONLY!” We discuss topics such as writing techniques, interesting tropes, and bring forth story ideas. Let’s have fun.
>>
>>27209204
Tips and links:

Things you should know about before writing clop:
Vhatug’s tips for anatomically correct clop and squash soup:
http://pastebin.com/g4VpEg4f

http://www.literotica.com/s/erotic-synonyms (Because using dick, balls, and pussy just isn’t enough to get the reader off. Remember, the reader cums first.)
Had to. Puns are awesome.

Things you should know about writing:
Clever’s Tips on How to Write Short Stories: http://pastebin.com/GGBkxi7e
How to into writing: http://pastebin.com/V1ujiyJt
Writing rules from Navarone: http://pastebin.com/bnMmZ2T3
Ezn’s Guite to writing Fanfiction: http://eznguide.neocities.org/
Writing Book for beginners: https://mega.co.nz/#F!pwo21SKA!dljqCUmOhkwLX3x9_ApEgQ
Help for creating OC characters: http://www.dawnsomewhere.com/ocguide/

A few authors from different threads should you seek inspiration from their stories:
Flutterrape general’s writers: http://pastebin.com/eG8iY7Wy
Active AiE general writers: http://pastebin.com/mVG33ERX
PiE general’s writers: http://pastebin.com/Mgd0QuNy

>“How do I cure my writer’s block?”
Magic.
>“FUCK YOU ANSWER THE QUESTION!”
There’s no one way to cure it, but, if you can’t write, you may as well read stories. There’s more to writing than writing; there’s reading too, and that helps. Check some of the links above.
Try the following (keep in mind this won’t work for everyone):
-Figure out when it’s the best time for you to write.
-Fap then write*.
-Write anyway, and allow yourself to write shitty stories. More often than not, the block is the fear of it being bad. That’s what editing is for.
-Seriously, drink coffee. It’s a writer’s best friend.
-Listen to music while writing.

*Unless you’re writing clop, then listen to your boner.
>>
Here's some new stuff that didn't fit in the second post.

A couple writing podcasts:
http://www.writingexcuses.com/
http://typehammer.com/podcast/

An archive of how to write pretty much anything:
https://curiosityquills.com/limyaael/

An idea generator:
http://writers-den.pantomimepony.co.uk/writers-first-lines.php

A worldbuilding forum:
http://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/
>>
File: 1423482734075.gif (1 MB, 636x550) Image search: [Google]
1423482734075.gif
1 MB, 636x550
>>27209254
Neat.
>>
>>27209393
I didn't notice the sonic hat until a few more loops
>>
Buuuump
>>
You idiots don't have talent and neither the good taste in order to write quality stories and scenes.

You all suck autist cocks.
>>
>>27211327
k
>>
>>27211327
wouldn't be here if we were good
>>
>>27209204
This the logo?
>>
>>27212411
Yeah, we're trying it out
>>
>>27212477
Put the implicator arrow to the left of the feather. And put an apostrophe after the "s", as in " Writefags' Optionally, replace it with a pen.".
>>
good night bump
>>
>>27214035
namefagging is only acceptable if you wish to asign a story with you, otherwise it's obvious newfagging
>>
>>27214832
No, Anon. You are the newfag
>>
>>27212668
we'll have our guy get on that.
>>
>>27214832
Fapman is alright, he's a goodfella.
>>
File: party hard.gif (776 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
party hard.gif
776 KB, 640x360
One of my pastes just got it's thousandth hit. Let's get fucked up
>>
>>27215551
Post link, get 1001 ;3
>>
>>27215575
No thanks
>>
>>27216848
Don't be shy
>>
bamp
>>
>>27215551
>part 1 gets 1000+
>part 2 gets 600
>part 3 gets 300
>part 4 gets 200
>>
Is it alright to introduce a character by saying their name? Like if the story is from the pov of Rarity, is it alright to say
>You are Rarity
Or should I do something else?
>>
>>27218874
Depends on your style of writing. For example, for greentext it's normal for people to write it as >Be Rarity, >Be Marshmallow Butt, Be Tabitha St. Germain's Unicorn, and so on.

In regards to other ways of introduction, it depends on the POV, like say if it were a story being given by a first person narrative, you could use -"Your Majesty, the fabulous pony before you has a line of wonderful gala dresses for you to try on! Oh, where are my manners. My name is Rarity." I told the monarch of Britail.-

There's also the narrator 3rd person point of view where it's a bit simpler, like -The little pony Rarity ventured forth at sea, excited as she was to meet more royalty.-
>>
File: 1422847283035.jpg (6 KB, 251x189) Image search: [Google]
1422847283035.jpg
6 KB, 251x189
>>27218874
I'm biased against >You are X, and wish writefags would rid of that laziness altogether.
Its one of the most jarring things to me, when a writefag has all this glorious, well fleshed out scene, and after that you get hit with that lazy technique.
What I've found useful, is using context and black text so you'll know who's talking.

instead of
>You are Rarity

You could have the scene let you know who's pov it is.

>"Rarity, I'm hungry!" Sweetie Belle whines.
>You let out a calm sigh, to make a conscious effot to keep your voice under control.
>It's best not to bring up Sweetie's weight, but if she isn't eating through your food pantry rapidly...
"Sweetie, didn't you have lunch at school?"
>"That was four hours ago! Feed meeee!"
>Goodness where does she pick up this behavior?

-Some time later-

"And what can I do about it Rarity?"
>The fashionista plants her face on the table, letting out a frustrated groan.
>After a beat, she looks up you.
>"Twilight, you're the princess of Friendship, literal royalty, and you can't help at all?"
"My hooves are tied, sorry, all I can tell you is to talk with your sister."
>"I tried that yesterday, and she ended up throwing a fit over the fives cheeses in her tacos not being melted enough!"
>You shudder in your seat.
"F-five cheeses? Rarity, I'm sorry, but your little sister is the devil."

Traditionally in greentext, black text in speech quotes are from the current PoV character which helps a ton. Just my two cents.
>>
>>27219234
>>27218969
Thanks.
I wrote some green for my usual thread last night and they ripped me a new asshole for writing Dash out of character. I wrote some more green and tried really hard to work on characterization, so lemme know if it's good or not. The request was that Rarity wants Rainbow Dashs help to fly again.
>The warm sun was overhead, the cool wind was blowing, and the streets of Ponyville were bustling.
>But you don't have time to take in the scenery, you were a mare on a mission.
>You were zooming through the streets, dodging angry ponies and other obstacles left and right.
>You were headed over to Raritys boutique, and you had to get there fast.
>"No, faster then fast, Rainbow Dash fast!"
>You had been performing your signature awesomely amazing routine for Spike in the park, when your authentic Wonderbolts trainee flight suit got a tear in it.
>"Just couldn't hold up to my amazingness, I guess."
>You immediately took off toward Raritys place, and you were almost at your destination.
>You preformed one more daring stunt for your adoring fans, where ever they were, before landing with a slide at Raritys door.
"Alright! I think that was a new record!"
>Remembering your task, you push open the door to the boutique, and it opens with a creak.
>The inside of the shop looks lonely, completely uninhabited.
>"That's weird, this place is usually packed by now."
>Investigating further, you call out to her through the dark.
"Rarity? Where are you?"
You think about your flight suit and it's lame tear.
"We have an emergency, I need your help."
>Deciding she must not be here right now, you turn to go out the door, when a sound catches you attention.
>It sounds like...crying?
>You make your way through the shop towards the sound, careful not to make any of your own.
>You arrive at the source of the noise, which appears to be Raritys bed room.
>Edging the door open, you peak inside and see Rarity, hunched over her desk crying.
(Cont.)
>>
>>27219450
(Cont.)
>Forgetting all tacktfulness, you bust in through the door with a slam.
>Tempted to show her your flight suit and it's tear immediately, you decide that comforting her first was a better idea.
"What's wrong this time Rarity?"
>After recovering from her initial heart attack from you busting in, she resumes sobbing, leaning on you for support.
>You put on a scowl and tap your hoof impatiently.
>"Oh Rainbow Dash, why me, why me?!"
>You throw your head back in exasperation.
"Uuuggg what wrong this time Rarity?"
>She speaks through sobs, her tears messing up your awesome mane.
>"Why, why did this happen to me, why did I have to be born a unicorn?
"What are you talking about now Rarity? Did some stallion turn you down again?"
>She lifts her head and scowls at you before resuming her dramatics.
>"Oh Rainbow Dash, ever since I had those wings, I can't think of anything else but taking flight once again. Why, why were they taken from me?!"
>Alright, you can't take anymore of this. You have a flight suit on life support, and this is super lame.
"Look Rarity, if you want to fly again, why don't you just ask Twilight? Doesn't she still have that spell or something?"
>"I've thought of that darling, but I don't want to go up by myself. I'm afraid of falling again."
"Well then why don't you ask some pegasi to take you up there?"
>Her head perks up at this.
>"Splendid idea darling, when do you want to leave?"
"Wait, I-I didn't mea-"
>She looks on the verge of tears again, and you definitely don't want that.
>You let out a huge groan, letting her know just how lame this was.
"Finnnee, but if I do this you have to fix my flight suit, alright?"
>She wraps you up in a big hug.
>"Of course darling, consider it done!"
"Alright alright, it's no big deal Rarity. Just meet me at the park later this afternoon, alright?"
>A few hours later you were standing in a field in the park.
>On the horizon you could see Rarity walking towards you with Twilight by her side.
>>
>>27219452
(Cont.)
>They reach your position, Rarity already flaunting a new set of wings.
>"Well darling, what do you think? Divine aren't they?"
She strikes a pose, flaunting her wings.
"Yea, they're... great. You ready to go or what?"
>Twilight fills you in on the details of the spell and how long it will last for.
After a few more poses, Rarity is finally ready to take off.
Assuming the stance, side by side, the two of you burst into the air, leaving to world behi-
"Rarity?"
>You look back down and see your friend slowly climbing through the air.
>You hover down next to her, urging her along.
"Come on, can't you go any faster then this?"
>"A lady always takes her time, and is always graceful in doing so."
"Graceful? More like lame."
>You mutter to yourself with a scowl, folding your arms as you laze along in the sky.
>Once the two of you reach the right altitude, she breaks off slightly and tries a few moves.
"Come on Rarity, that's filly stuff. Can't you do something at least a little awesome?"
>Apparently lost in her own world, she doesn't answer, floating around like a leaf in the wind.
>She's sooooo slowwww, you can't take it anymore.
>You grab her by the hoof, and drag her up higher.
>"Rainbow Dash, what are we doing? We're awfully high up."
"Come on, I wanna show you something. Don't be a chicken, you got me, the awesomest mare ever to catch you."
>The two of you climb higher and higher, until at last you break the cloud level.
>Raritys mouth hangs open, completely at awe.
>The sun was setting on the clouds, and the landscape was breathtaking.
"Well what do you think? Pretty awesome, huh?"
>"Rainbow, I..."
"Speachless huh? I have that effect on ponies."
>It was your turn to be suprised when she wraps you in another hug.
"Thanks you Dash, this is amazing."
>You slowly and lightly return the embrace.
>Hugs arnt so bad, all the time.
"Don't forget about my suit though."

FIN
Lemme know what you think, thanks.
>>
>>27219468
This was actually kinda cute, my only gripe was the random use of black text on action, but I'll chalk up to style preference, and you seem to have a little mix up with who's speaking at the end.

That aside, I'm having a hard time as to what made Dash so out of character here, I could see her being like this, maybe I'm overlooking something, but Dash was fine in this.
>>
>>27219509
Oh shit, the random black text was just a typo, thanks for pointing it out. This wasn't the green that was OOC, it was another one. I'm glad you liked it!
>>
>>27219520
You're welcome.
Although, I am curious about this OOC Dash
Was it a clopfic?
>>
>>27219535
No, but you can read it if you want, it's right here
>>27216445
I was kind tired but I didn't think it was that bad, but they really hated it.
>>
File: 1444873652726.png (53 KB, 168x187) Image search: [Google]
1444873652726.png
53 KB, 168x187
>>27219548
Ouch, I see what you're talking about. Granted it was a generic waifu story, but I have a soft spot for them, the other guy just has it out for AiE content.

That said, they weren't wrong about the ooc claim, but I find it to be harmless even though I try to portray characters as accurately as I can.

Don't sweat it too much Church, they bring up good points, albeit it wasn't in the most civil way. If anything, this is an excuse to binge watch some ponies to get a more accurate portrayal.
And man, ponies are comfy.
>>
>>27219610
Im trying to stay positive about it. Regardless of the maybe over the over the top rudeness, they are still right, so that's why I wanted to make sure that this one was great.
>>
>>27219667
Keep on writing Church, you'll get there
>>
>>27219678
Thanks, I'm still tryingto get the hang of it, but I'll figure it out.
>>
File: 1414784829886.jpg (58 KB, 898x692) Image search: [Google]
1414784829886.jpg
58 KB, 898x692
>>27219703
I believe in ya. Feel free to drop by anytime, Church.
>>
>>27219714
Will do, get ready to do alot of reading!
>>
Can I make a request here? I stumbled upon pic related on DA. The description said:

>Dude, what if like applejack was like...a werewolf

It got me thinking, what if she was? What if one night as she chased away a pack of timberwolves from the orchard she got scratched/minor bite from one of them and thought nothing of it until the next day when she started feeling different/acting different? What if she uses these new abilities to defend her orchard from the everfree monsters/trasspasers? What would happen on full moons?

Any writefags up for doing this? And before someone says "do it yourself" I suck at writing. I've tried it and it never ends good unless I've been planing something for weeks/months.
>>
File: aw0qvuq.jpg (130 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
aw0qvuq.jpg
130 KB, 894x894
>>27220592
Of course I forget the image...
>>
Well I finally finished reading a Jane Austen novel.

Give some book recommendations, anons.
>>
Hey writefags, what are you doing on page 10?
>>
Tell me writefags, what is the reason that you write and continue to write?

Try to answer this question without resorting to "because I'm shit at drawing."
>>
>>27225609
My dream is to understand writing well enough to automate it.

Also, it feels nice when people want to read my stuff. And it's a bit hot knowing anons are wanking to my clop.
>>
File: Welp.jpg (408 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Welp.jpg
408 KB, 1920x1080
>>27225609
I write to improve as a person.

I write because I feel empty.

I do it in english because I want to learn this langugage, eventually.

And I'm shit at drawing.
>>
File: file.png (118 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
file.png
118 KB, 500x700
>>
>>27225609
Egoism is a pretty big part of it. Also, I'm a man of the humanities, and I find writing to help round me out into a better, wiser, more interesting person. I know it sounds silly, but I think writing, and getting feedback on it, has helped me become a better communicator with people
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.