[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else still in shock that the curse of the "Spike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 8
File: 1453050384375.png (323 KB, 494x498) Image search: [Google]
1453050384375.png
323 KB, 494x498
Anyone else still in shock that the curse of the "Spike episode" seems to be gone? I mean, it's almost like they wrote him as an actual character rather than a series of walking gags.
>>
>>27168537
He was great in Season 4.
>>
>>27168537
It's almsot like they improved as authors from the constant critiques during the last 5 years
Crazy huh?
>>
>>27168557
It's almost like we had a good writer for the first time since season 2
>>
>>27168537
oh wow, I just realised that's my picture. I made that I mean. Glad someone saved it.
>>
>>27168565
I save good reaction images, and yours always makes me chuckle.

>>27168557
In before that guy who insists that Spike's character was fine before and is super salty that they're "pandering" to people who dare want a decent character
>>
>>27168570
He needed an episode that really played to his strengths, which he hasn't had yet.

But he did have great episodes in Season 4.
>>
>>27168537
> Good episode

Let's see: he's cucked by rarity as usual, then he's mocked by other dragons as usual, then he literally had to be carried around to get the scepter and literally only got it because they cleared the path for him, but once he got the scepter and the dragonlord title he gave it up to the dragon princess so she could be even more special and so, he's back to his old life as Rarity and Twilight's kid servant.

Nope, nothing at all changed.
>>
>>27168537
I'm more shocked that they promised 2-3 more episodes for him this season. There's still so much to do for characters who actually matter and have arcs going on.
>>
>>27168537
I know, right?

fucking new writers are ruining everything
>>
>>27168585
Spike does matter, and they are finishing up Rainbow Dash's arc.
>>
>>27168582
I know that this is bait, but that's such an incorrect summary of the episode that ignores so much of its nuance that it's almost insulting.
>>
>>27168604
> Spikefags
> Whatever they don't like is bait

Fine, feel free to preve me wrong then: tell me that none of what i said happened at all during the episode.

Faggot test: don't use buzzwords like "Technically" to move the goalposts.
>>
>>27168630
Neither Spike nor Ember would have gotten far at all without each other's help, that's kind of the point. That working together overcomes obstacles?

Spike only wanted to become Dragon Lord to protect Equestria because most of the dragons competing for it wanted to destroy it. He was willing to give up ever seeing his friends again to protect their home. That is a sacrifice he was willing to give that goes beyond almost any other in the series.

Ember, who slowly came to realize the power of friendship and people actually caring about her because Spike showed her what it meant, is then the perfect option. Spike wants to be with his friends in his home of Equestria, so the one dragon who would be kind to ponies is given power. He's given power, and he concedes it to someone who can do as well as him, but one that recognizes his greatness and will rule with him constantly in mind.

And with all of the doors that the new paradigm in dragon-pony relations opens, Spike will be able to find out more about himself and feel like less of a stranger no matter where he goes.
>>
>>27168537

At least we still have "CMC episode" shitposting and probably "Flurry Heart episode" in the future. The shitpost can't die
>>
>curse
I agree that the writers fuck up with him more often or not, but it's like people who make these sweeping claims never even try to watch any of the other episodes and just spouting out /mlp/ catch lines.
>>
>>27168537
Now prepare for Trixie to completely make this board forget about Spike
>>
>>27168582
wtf man, this is the only one when he didn't fucked up anything, act like he suppose to do based on his pony experiences and the only one without nay rushed pacing or shitty jokes.
>>
>>27168712
Any idiot who still acts like there's anything wrong with the CMC won't have their opinion changed on Spike, either, no matter how good his episodes are. The majority of CMC episodes since season 2 have been great.
>>
>>27168761
Sorry pal, gotta wait an extra week like a good little boy. Even air dates are on Spike's side.
>>
>>27168570
Spike was fine before. They're just pandering to people who want charachters with more than one dimension. I don't like it when they write charachters well.
>>
>>27168776
If "he did not fucked up this time" is all what it takes to make a character good then you have shit taste.

Call me once Spike receives a decent change that sticks for good instead of that emotional growth or "opening the door for possibilities" bullshit that amounts to nothing of value.

Even the CMC got their fucking butt marks before Spike could receive anything of value.
>>
>>27168863
So basically you want nothing but a physical growth spurt and wings. Will admit that it's an admirable goal.
>>
>>27168863
The CMC have had plenty of focus and development since season 1, though. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're not important.
>>
>>27168917
Anon, he just wants Spike to physically grow up and get wings. Anything less is pointless to him.
>>
>>27168874
No, faggot.
I want a change on Spike that could make a clear difference between before and after the change.

Give up on rarity or fucking finally do something with that fucking tease, for example.

Make him save the day by his own effort instead of dumb luck or being carried by everyone, too.

Give him a title like a dragon diplomatic and make everyone respect that while Starlight Glimmer takes his role as twilight's assistant instead of being a freeloader that only increases his workload as well.

It has been 6 fucking years. We are way, way past the "it upend teh door to possibilitis lol" bullshit the writers keep spoonfeeding to retards.
>>
>>27168917
>>27168928

I love how both of you try to shove words in my mouth so you could try to build a set of excuses and damage control from them.

When the fuck did I say I hated the CMC?
>>
>>27169070
I see. I think they do really need to give him wings to start though.
>>
>>27169080
Look what happened to Twilight after she got her fucking wings.
>>
>>27169077
I didn't say you hated them, just that you're saying they're less important than Spike, which is wrong.
>Even the CMC got their fucking butt marks before Spike could receive anything of value.
Implies that Spike is more important than them and it's an injustice towards him that such unimportant characters would get better development than him. The fact that Spike's never gotten satisfactory development in your eyes should say that he's the unimportant one, if anything.
>>
>>27169107
Different situation here.

>>27169137
I think he's trying to imply that Spike never has gotten development despite being important to lore, much like Celestia. I wonder if they're afraid they'll fuck him up too much.
>>
>>27169137
I love how you try to make me look wrong by claiming I'm the only person in the fucking planet who's not happy with Spike's developement.

Let me guess, are you a DHX faggot lurking around to see what praises and ego boosts you can fish around?
>>
>>27169172
>I wonder if they're afraid they'll fuck him up too much.

HAHAHAHAHA GOOD JOKE
They don't give a fuck about him, period. It has been 6 years and still no story about his origin, or where Celestia found his egg, or anything at all.
The past season was fucking defined by Spike not being anywhere to seen except on that fucking episode where Jim Miller cared more about his friends's cameos rather than about the story itself.
>>
>>27169209
I don't think they gave a fuck until they realized that he was actually popular among fans. And the egg origin thing is related to their hesitation about a Celestia story.
>>
>>27169256
No they always know that he was popular with the fans. They just don't give a fuck
>>
>>27169272
I never understood that. I think it came from Faust not giving a fuck about him, because she didn't really want him in the show to begin with.
>>
>>27169320
Same with Rarity.
>>
>>27169344
She quickly warmed up to Rarity once she slightly changed her focus. Spike and the CMC, though, those were characters she didn't really want. Really, she wanted it to be the Celestia and Twilight Show with a small supporting cast from what I can tell.
>>
>>27169320
It's more like no one really knows what they want with him. Is he the little brother? The comic relief?
The lovable wise crack? the useful sidekick? Each writer has their own opinion on who Spike is, and that's why all of his episodes are so radically different from each other
>>
>>27169422
Ultimately this came down to him not being a Faust favorite so he didn't have any sense of direction on which to build. Characters like Fluttershy and Pinkie also suffered this.

Faust did a lot of cool stuff but man, did she play favorites.
>>
People always criticize an episode like this. Just look at something like Games Ponies Play. Both had a generic plot that went just as expected as every other time it's used. No twists, no turns, nothing atypical to make it differentiate itself from the same old story we've all seen before. Yet here people are praising it like it's something great and shitting on something like Games Ponies Play which did something much better than this episode could and that's show fun, qwerky main 6 interactions. How can anyone enjoy this episode or feel good about it?
>>
>>27169422
Little brother sidekick seems to be the most common consensus on how he should be handled.
>>
>>27169448
Her entire backstory with him was clearly not thoughtout and is pretty much not canon now thanks to Hearthbreakers and the comics.
>>
>>27169520
Yeah. Hearthbreakers and the comics even contradicted each other at some point, and there's a disagreement among writing staff of what he actually is to her.
>>
>>27169536
I thought that they mostly agreed on him being a little brother. At least that is what Josh Haber thinks.
>>
>>27169550
For the most part, but I guess Hearthbreakers canonized them considering each other family.
>>
>>27169515
I'm gunna have to disagree with the general consensus then. I don't see Spike as the little brother, and it mostly has to do with the little sibling trope. The little sibling in most stories they're used in does nothing, only to give the MC or party something to protect, and to show that there is still innocence left in the world. And then they get kidnapped, or killed. Spike is none of these things. He has done stuff on his own, doesn't need anyone to hold his hand. Has been show to handle situations in a very adult manner, and Twilight even trust him so much that she has let him run her own kingdom.
I've always seen Spike as the wise cracking sidekick that doesn't need their mentor.
>>
>>27169638
He is a subversion to the trope.
>>
>>27169638
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrotherSisterTeam
>>
>>27169448
I don't know about that. It's true that she didn't respect or want the crusaders (aside from maybe AB), but they've only been getting better and more interesting as time went on and I've never felt they were just there to waste time.

>>27169422
True. I personally favor his portrayal in Just for Sidekicks and Secret of My Excess, where he's a selfish shithead who has difficulty fitting in because he's a dragon who does dragon things, rather than it being the other way around where he's a naive sissy who wishes he could be more of a dragon.
>>
>>27169674
Well yeah. They're written/directed by people who aren't her.

And that "naive sissy" became Dragon Lord. So who really is the strongest dragon in the land? It's about more than just strength or size.
>>
>the best spike episode is simply the one where he doesn't fuck up terribly
>just ignore how terrible the "villain" was
>how mary sue Ember was
>how horrible the whole premise was
>>
>>27169829

That's the issue. I just don't get why people ignore this shit. It's like if you're going to have standards, don't lower them just because something slightly changes the current formula.
>>
>>27169829
I really dont see how THIS episode was bad. Other than the whole dragon lord and competition appearing out of nowhere, it was decent enough
>villain
he comes from dragon quest, what do you expect. still, I dont see what they did so wrong with him
>mary sue
other than flying fast and dodge stuff thanks to her small frame, she didnt do anything special, as far as I remember. I only watched it once. the staff made her as powerful as it would have made spike, it's not about her

Sincerely, it was the best episode so far. The standars werent too high, but it was ok
>>
>>27170029
She is the opposite of one. She needed Spike to do anything.
>>
>>27170046

Not that anon, but you're taking the things to the other extreme. He didn't do "everything".

Spike also needed Ember's help to continue.
>>
>>27170398
That's what I meant to say, they needed each other.
>>
>>27168863
>giving him wing is the only real important development
>more than improved personality, additional relationships and possible opportunities as a dragon prince or their spokesman for ponies
Classic Spikefag
>>
>>27169070
The only person who is obssessed in giving him wings is Murrison. Is that you?
>>
>>27168582

Yes, the Princess couldn't have succeeded without him, and also he won the tournament.
>>
File: giphy-3.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-3.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>27170029
>>
>>27170600

>potential
>potential
>potential
>The show ever doing anything with potential

Other than fanfiction fodder, this shitty princess of dragons is nothing that will ever matter to the entirety of the show. The most you will ever get out of this is a small mention or two-bit part in a small part of an episode.
>>
>>27170029

It's the same issue that was there with Griffonstone. They both had characters that come from a group that values friendship as 0 and instantly flip to care so much about it because 1 person was nice to them ever. It feels so stupid to say that a character is so flat that they make 180's so quickly about things. At least in Gilda's case, she already had a friend and just probably wanted that feeling back somewhere inside herself which made it feel a lot less forced than "Oh, you helped me once? BESTIES!". It just doesn't feel great. Go watch all of season 1 and 2 and see what its like as Twilight slowly let's her friends into her life and her character goes from treating it as an assignment to genuinely enjoying her friends company. Is it fair to compair Twilight's acceptance to Dragoness? No because it's one episode vs 2 seasons. It still doesn't make it feel right that in 1 episode this dragoness was able to turn her perspective of the world (to a point) to the complete opposite. It just feels fake as fuck. That is my major beef with this episode. Had they had her be slightly more trusting of Spike and make mention here and there of them keeping in touch and friendship growing, it would have been way better.
>>
>>27171035
I think she was already susceptible to the ideas of friendship.
>>
>>27171044
No the moment Spike says we're friends Ember said dragon don't do friends. It was a complete 180 of what she is supposed to act like because "muh lesson" this show thinks it needs
>>
>>27171070
She already was at the point where she admired brain over brawn. It was an easy step for her.
>>
File: 1461219745675.jpg (106 KB, 560x510) Image search: [Google]
1461219745675.jpg
106 KB, 560x510
>>27168582
>I need a way to make this episode look bad.
>I got it, i'm going to repeat the episode events.
>But with memes and buzzwords.
>That will show them.
This is a new level of denial.
>>
>>27168684
Plus, Spike's dream has always been to be a hero. It was never to lead. He would rather be a knight than a king.
>>
>>27171623
Yeah, there's this too.
>>
>>27171134
Okay, but that doesn't matter. Ember has been raised on the ideology that dragon don't show affection, kindness, or friendliness to each other. And she didn't just learn this through her dad. Judging by every dragon shown so far, they all share this ideology. To say that a life long ideology could be broken because of one act of kindness is foolish, and could only happen because the plot demanded it so.
>>
>>27171749
She obviously had something within her that made her question all of that already.
>>
>>27168582
This, once a cuck faggot, always a cuck faggot. I'll never accept spike got a good episode like how neo-/mlp/ has.
>>
>>27171569
Fuck off, the episode was shit and you know it. Go back to r.eddit newfag.
>>
>>27168537
It just shows that the writers don't watch the previous episodes/learned anything from them because they treat Spike like a living being instead of a sub human slave like he's been since Season 2. Any episode that is not Spike or Starlight is going to suck dick
>>
>>27171762
And yet the only thing she question was the big tuff dragon not the dragons don't have friends.
>>
>>27171775
>a character used to suck and now he didn't
>this is bad somehow
Clinging this desperately to things being shitty just because they were always shitty is pretty sad, to be quite tbqh.

People shat on Spike episodes because they were written badly, not because of memes or because he can't be waifu'd, and if you ever had an original thought you'd realize that.
>>
>>27171857
Just ignore him, he's probably the "Stop making lizard threads" guy too.
>>
>>27171822
I miss that pair.

Hopefully they do another SpikeLight episode
>>
God you people are some whiny bitches.
>Spikes a cuck
>The episode was bad admit it
Was it the best episode ever? No, but it was still pretty good and it was one of the best Spike episodes we've had in a while. You people need to stop talking so much shit to your fellow /mlp/ anons, enough with the whole
>neo-mlp
>newfags
>Shimmer/Glimmerfag
It's pointless cancer that just takes away from discussion and causes problems in the group. Play nice faggots, we're all on this ride together.
>>
>>27169536
Jim recently said that all comics were 100% canon and his previous statements were "twisted" by the fans.
>>
>>27170600
When exactly did I said I wanted him to get wings, motherfucker?

Also, holy shit this thread is still alive?
>>
>>27173521
>All comics were canon
>So that means TiaXSombra
>The deers that lives in the Everfree
>Trixie is already redeemed
>All of these and more was canon
Yeah no buddy
>>
File: 1457113111156.jpg (29 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1457113111156.jpg
29 KB, 512x384
>>27168537
>Anyone else still in shock that the curse of the "Spike episode" seems to be gone?
Congratulations faggot, you jynxed it. Next Spike episode confirmed for being terrible.
>>
>>27173574
As long as Dusedau is truly gone we should be good.
>>
>>27168557
if only the idw writers would do the same thing.

but yeah thats probably what it is took them a bit longer then it should have but they worked it out in the end.
>>
>>27168582
it had spike as everything he was built up to be for the last 5 seasons

a fucking hero.
>>
>>27168863
>installing what is in many ways a puppet ruler
>not of value
>>
>>27168761
im hype but also scared
i dont mind if they have her acting like an arse for no reason its not ideal but i can live with it but im scared they will validate those faggots who insist that because twilight is better trixie is untalented.
>>
>>27174501
Functionally Ember will run the place the same way Spike would have and Spike will get all of the prestige of even having been Dragon Lord at all even still. Hell, Ember might ask him what she should do.
>>
>>27169070
>Make him save the day by his own effort instead of dumb luck or being carried by everyone, too.
you mean like the equestria games
>Give him a title like a dragon diplomatic
i will admit i will be pissed if when twilight finaly gives the other elements a title they ignore spike
>It has been 6 fucking years
yes but in show it has been 2 years and most importantly.
hes a fucking baby
>>
>>27169398
wait were the cmc in the previous gens or was that something hasbro came up with independent of faust.
>>
>>27174543
Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were, but in name only. Hasbro demanded they be used and that SB and AB be sisters of the main cast.
>>
>>27174509
>those faggots who insist that because twilight is better trixie is untalented.
First off huh?
Second off of course Twilight is better than Trixie. Trixie is a show performer non of her magic has any kick to it, it's there to entertain nothing more. And Twilight is the element of magic why would she be worse at magic than Trixie?
>>
>>27169448
i dont think its accurate to say that faust had no direction for him she was going towards him as a hero its just that she dident care about the character enough to actually emphasis that direction enough.

so basically the same thing really just not quite as bad and i do like that that seems to be what they are going with.
>>
>>27169422
i prefer spike as the aspiring hero myself.
>>
>>27168582
>spike does nothing childish
>spike doesn't cause the conflict
>spike is allowed to leave but chooses to stay for the good of his friends
>spike saves a princess
>spike helps the princess understand friendship
>spike saves rarity
>spike gives Garble a punishment that's not so bad, but still humiliating
>spike gives up power for his friends
This was the best possible "Spike is a god damned hero" episode that could ever be conceived. Fuck off.
>>
>>27171035
you do have a bit of a point there in that it was rather fast although its made slightly more acceptable by the fact she already had more empathy then the average dragon.

plus retarded as it was dragons do have a code about people that save there lives
>>
>>27173552
trixie was already redeemed the moment the mental effects of the amulet wore off.
>>
>>27174554
i know twilight is better then trixie im not disputing that im saying that there are people who insist that trixie is untalented and even those who say she is below average.
>>
>>27174607
Redeemed, perhaps, but certainly not reformed. She's still a self-contained egotist. She merely gave up her vendetta against Twilight for showing her up against the Ursa.
>>
>>27174607
The comics didn't have Trixie get the amulet. She just came back and helped save the day.

>>27174613
Eh I guess that makes sense
>>
>>27174613
I'd say Trixie's above average, but not an incredible top-of-the-line unicorn. She pulled off some pretty significant magic in her show, but Twilight's talent is literally magic and she'll be above and beyond her no matter what. Trixie's problem is that instead of showing off her true talents, she would make up grandiose stories of feats she never actually had the ability to do.

My hope is that in this next episode, Trixie has refined her "feats" to something she can accomplish that's still "great and powerful" compared with an average pony.
>>
>>27174613
>>27174674
Trixie's the better showpony. That's certainly a talent, as the Flim Flam Brothers have proved.

Granted, Twilight beat her at her own game by putting on a show, but yadda yadda power of friendship. But either way, if they do develop Trixie's powers, I kind of hope that's the direction they decide to take her. Pyrotechnics, illusions, that kind of thing.
>>
>>27174917
Totally, Trixie shines when she's being her true self, which is a grand show-off. Ponies might hate her for it, but that's what she's good at. Though, now I'm imagining an injection of the CMC helping her align her talent in a positive way rather than pissing everyone off, but this is a Starlight episode, so that's unlikely.
>>
>>27174960
i hadent considered that but if trixie does come back again this season after this episode they probably will have the cmc work with her.

also im pretty sure its more a twilight episode then a glimmer episode.
>>
>>27168557
>improved over the last 5 years
None of the writers from the last 5 years are still here, dumbass. Maybe one or two but not anyone who's worked on a Spike episode this season.
>>
Pony's are queer.
>>
File: 1442548908678.gif (624 KB, 474x379) Image search: [Google]
1442548908678.gif
624 KB, 474x379
>>27168582
>Read post
4 words in and there's cuck already.
Stopped reading right there.
Opinion discarded.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.