[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What direction will the show take from now on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: MDAzMzM0MjA1NjU1.jpg (192 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
MDAzMzM0MjA1NjU1.jpg
192 KB, 1280x720
From what i've seen recently i think the show is taking the right direction, i think you and i can agree that the mane 6 are completely developed there is no more they can learn, and the show stuff know that, that's why every episode from season 6 until now had a new character or a less developed character from a previous episodes in it, the mane 6 now only serve as mentors or sometime support characters like in the previous episode.

So i expect great new characters from show now, and to flush out old less developed characters, but i don't know what do you think
>>
someone dies
>>
>>27146302
I am so sad about this.
>>
They need to end this generation of the show and get season 7 going with new characters and full on anime art style, I'm talking straight up outsource it to Japan just the thought of this makes my dick rock hard
>>
>>27146331
What are you kidding, do you even watch the show Anon ?

>>27146348
Why so sad ?

>>27146348
Unlikely but i hope it happens
>>
>>27146302
They certainly aren't going in the right direction by forcing shitlight into the main cast
>>
>>27146364
>Unlikely but i hope it happens
meant for you >>27146355
>>
>>27146377
No that's exactly what we need and she is starting to become a good character
>>
>>27146391
She's nothing more than Twilight with boyfriend issues
>>
>>27146391
>great villain in S5
>sunset shimmer 2.0 (now 70% balder) in S6
>>
>Completely developed
There is still a shit ton of character development they can go through, in fact lets list some options.
>Rarity opens a shop in every major city, leading to more world building episodes
>Rainbowdash joins and then becomes captain of the Wonderbolts
>Spike ages/gets wings
>More family member episodes
>Applejack gets more character development(expands the farm, maybe gets her own adventure episode)
>Fluttershy goes on an adventure, deals with legendary creature, some sort of episode that's shows her working with Discord.
>More mystery drama episodes
>Twilight grows more/ embraces her new student more
>Glim glam gets a pet
>Glim glam pulls a lesson zero

Only took me like 2 minutes to think of those and I'm not even a writer for the show.
>>
File: RarityThere'sNoGoingBack.png (2 MB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
RarityThere'sNoGoingBack.png
2 MB, 4000x4000
>>27146364
>Why so sad ?
They grew up.
Maybe the show is doing the best it has considering what its working with, but it just doesn't feel the same. Maybe the episodes back in seasons 1-2 weren't as complex, but I feel like those slice of life, mane 6interactions or cmc interactions with each other were what made the show what it was. These 6 (or 3) ponies came to be friends despite their differences, and they learned so much off each other. Maybe it was childish and simple, but it was a good thing and it was what I believe made the show unique in an amazing way. I just hate thinking that the mane 6 or cmc are "done".

Hell dude, the cmc (who were known for being blank flanks, and learning about friendship from each other's flaws) now teach others about cutie marks. Feels like an episode of "CMC vs."

The mane 6 (who were led by a pony terrible at friendship) is now the princess of friendship. And now that they finished their fun with each other, it almost just feels like an episode of "Mane 6 vs."

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with what they are doing with bringing in old characters and really showing that this show still has good life still in it, I can even say I enjoy season 6 for the most part, but I just hate thinking about how they aren't the fillies and mares we used to know. They don't have anything to learn from each other, they don't have anything they need to know anymore. They're done. They grew up.
>>
>>27146355
Dude I like anime, but western storytellers are miles better. Let's not mix two great things and make a pile of shit okay?
>>
>>27146418
Have you no patience, mlp have shown it's great potential to make unlikeable character likeable.

>Gilda
>Diamond tiara
>>
>>27146470
You're overreacting, there's a shitload of things they could learn from each other, but it would take good writers to do it
>>
File: want you to know.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
want you to know.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>27146302
I'm anxious and excited for the new CMC episodes. The thought of there being more solo episodes and personal development for them is great and I was optimistically hyped for it until the end of their newest episode. Just ending it like that, with that kid saying he hopes she keeps dancing and her telling him she will. I don't know what to make of it and don't want to wait several months worrying about what it could mean. Are they going to be a close pair from now on, or what?
>>
File: 1437870900808.png (386 KB, 1492x1080) Image search: [Google]
1437870900808.png
386 KB, 1492x1080
>>27146485
>Gilda
>Diamond tiara
>unlikable
>>
>>27146426
I guess you're right maybe there is still more for the mane 6, but i still think they learned everything they need to learn.
>>
File: RainbowDashWonderbolt2point0.png (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
RainbowDashWonderbolt2point0.png
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>27146498
>You're overreacting, there's a shitload of things they could learn from each other

Yes. You know what anon, you're right.
We just need to get Faust, AKR, and Larson to work on the lo- ;_;

Seriously though, I'm sure there is interaction they still have yet to do with each other. Rainbow could learn from fluttershy that the reckless and fast way to solve a problem isn't always the best. Obviously that's not the most amazing idea, but the point is they can still do stuff within the mane 6 if they'd like

And you know what else? These new "fix-up the old enemy" episodes could be pretty good. I loved the Gilda episode and am very excited for the Trixie one coming up.

I guess I was just worried we wouldn't see those "slice-of-life inside ponyville" episodes which was what gave MLP its initial beauty. But yah, those aren't gone, they're just a little less plentiful with other good things coming to fill the void.

Thanks anon, I'm feeling better about it now.
>>
>>27146473
FiM doesn't really have great story telling though. Its main advantage is its cute, likable characters. Japan is great with that. I'm not even an animefag.
>>
>>27146562
>likable characters

More like amazing characters, and mlp has more to it then cute characters

>Season 4 finale
>>
>>27146614
Ehh, I thought the s4 finale was entertaining and all, but I don't think it was what makes the show great. To me, it was a decent/good plot, with a dragonball-z piece thrown in. But I can totally see how the plot appealed to others.
>>
if i can play psychologist,

perhaps the dislike stems from fans who feel not ready/unable to grow up/move forward in their lives, or feel its too late
>>
>>27146680
>perhaps the dislike stems from fans who feel not ready/unable to grow up/move forward in their lives, or feel its too late
Possibly. If I can say what I was feeling, I'd say it's the feeling a father might have watching his son go off to college.
>>
>>27146626
Oh will i guess everyone has an opinion to me Season 4 finale was perfect 10/10 and not because of the dragonball-z piece, just everything in it seem so right from the build up to the plot it's all amazing.

But like you said it's not what makes the show great, it's most definitely the characters, i've seen many cartoons a lot of animes and many western series but never did i feel so relatable to a character other than mlp.
>>
>>27146737

also, 6 seasons = ~8 years

the original demographics are now growing up to middle school/ possibly early high school, so the show can more to more mature themes

but the online fandom from that many years ago Im guessing could be out of college or are about to exit now and such.
>>
>>27146797
>Season 4 finale was perfect 10/10
Now that I think about it
>discord reverting back to his chaotic ways (which is reasonable since he's the master of chaos)
>phenomenal BGM (I'm a nut for good music)
>DBZ scene was pretty impressive and led to lots of "are you sure its just for little girls" jokes and what not
>discord's characterization the whole episode
Yah, honestly, I might have to up my rating for season 4 finale.

>>27146833
>6 seasons 8 years
What?

>original demographics are not growing up
True. Geez time really flies. I guess I just miss the idea of mlp being about slice of life in ponyville rather than being teachers to everyone else inferior to the mary sue 6 and cmc
>>
>>27146680

so thats where the hatred against spike growing up and getting wings + Ember gf comes from
>>
>>27146485
Gilda and Diamond Tiara never needed to be "likeable". Hell, in DT's case, making her likeable removed the entire reason for her character to exist.
>>
>>27146426
Spike becomes a superhero.
>>
File: medium(22).png (131 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
medium(22).png
131 KB, 800x450
>>27146426
>glim glam gets a pet
How about two?
>>
File: Wind_Wooly_0.jpg (6 KB, 297x79) Image search: [Google]
Wind_Wooly_0.jpg
6 KB, 297x79
>>27146426
CMC should also get a pet.
>>
>>27146986
>>27146991
I love these pet designs.
>>
>>27146986
That sure is an interesting looking pet. At least it would keep her from becoming an alicorn.
>>
>>27146302
>Not superior Nyx version
>>
File: 1458741920808.gif (457 KB, 390x293) Image search: [Google]
1458741920808.gif
457 KB, 390x293
>>27146302
I can't imagine them still following the Mane6 in S7 after Twilight is already a princess, Rarity opened her shop, Dash became a Wonderbolt, Fluttershy reformed Discord and Spike got over Rarity and claim his dragon heritage.

S7 is either a new series (Guardians of Hamrony) or it doesn't even exist (S6 is the last one for this generation)
>>
>>27146355
Not with anime style or anime artists, but it would be cool if Avatar TLA animators worked on it.
>>
>>27146426
It will never end until all of mane6 get laid. And only 3 out of 6 characters even have a reccuring male friend.
>>
>>27146986
Love it.
>>
>>27146955
Well the CMC getting their cutiemarks would have done that too since Diamond Tiara wouldn't have anything to make fun of them for except Scootaloo due to her dodo-ness, so why not develop her character as well, since she would have lost her purpose either way.
>>
>>27149694
Give her a relationship with Spike.
>>
>>27146552
>"slice-of-life inside ponyville"
God damn hell, THIS is what I miss
>>
File: 1347220235545.gif (420 KB, 349x190) Image search: [Google]
1347220235545.gif
420 KB, 349x190
>>27146552
>I guess I was just worried we wouldn't see those "slice-of-life inside ponyville" episodes which was what gave MLP its initial beauty
I think the fact the show was in it's early days was what gave it this beauty
In S1 we didn't know much about the world outside Ponyville, which made episodes that took place within it comfy, adventure episodes like hurricane fluttershy were less comfy and more of a big deal, combined with the character development gave the end of each episode an enormous payoff

Now the characters have travelled far and wide, Rarity's opening up boutiques left and right, Twilight's a demi-god.

I dunno man, I know what people mean now when they say the show doesn't feel "the same"
I still watch the show
And I still browse this shit-heap of a board

But I can't get over that feeling I had in 2011, that novel feeling of cute ponies doing cute things - in their cute little town
The unusually smart writing and snappy jokes were an enormous plus, obviously, as well as the mane 6's meticulous characterisation

You are right, the show has grown up, but it's also grown outward, almost a little too much, in fact, Ponyville almost looks insignificant at this point, especially when you crop it against the crystal empire and how much Hasbro is shilling their royal baby shit
>>
Personally I'd love to see slice of life episodes that focus on background ponies, kind of like a day in the life of ___. I just feel that this would really flesh out the world a bit, and while Slice of Life did an okay job with the concept they could have improved upon it by leaving out the memes, focusing on one or two ponies max, a clear and concise narrative, etc...

For instance: An episode that shows us an average day for Cheerilee, or maybe an episode shows what Trixie has been up to outside of Ponyville. Just some examples but there are potentially another hundred episodes worth of content.
>>
>>27146470
>>27146552

OP is dumb.

Just because there are no more "friendship lessons" stated verbatim at the end of every episode doesn't mean they have nothing left to learn. They have learned all the lessons they can teach each other in Ponyville, but not all the lessons there are to learn. The whole point of Ponyville was to give them a start from humble origins, a generic small town to learn the basics. The difference is that now they are going out to experience new lessons throughout Equestria, and from more ponies than just each other.

I'm looking forward to how Twilight, who has been a student her whole life, learns to handle Starlight.

I'm looking forward to how the CMC learn to focus on others. For 5 seasons, their whole focus was on themselves. Now that they have their marks, they will have to learn they aren't the center of the universe.

Pinkie learned a lesson about gift giving from Maud, and it was quite appropriate to have the element of generosity along to supervise.

The gloom is simply not warranted.
>>
>>27149891

> ponies doing cute things in their cute little town

For me, a big part of what made FiM special is that there was more to the world than one sleepy little town. Even when they stayed inside Ponyville, they talked about other places and other times that the audience didn't know about. There was always a sense of higher purpose and destiny. Let the characters get out and breathe. They'll come back to Ponyville eventually.
>>
>>27146302
>The show is taking the right direction
>That direction is just Hasbro rewriting good scripts if they aren't satisfied with product placement.
Well it's more the same direction, rather than right
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.