[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is MLP helping the patriarchy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13
File: ackchyually.png (35 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
ackchyually.png
35 KB, 700x700
https://youtu.be/YahYUgtpT4I?t=23s`

I'm just really concerned if I could ever let my daughter watch this episode one day...
>>
>>27010395
It doesn't explicitly help the patriarchy, it just doesn't hurt it.
That's some pretty simple shit, mang.
>>
>>27010401
it enforces the stereotype and teaches kids that catcalling is socially appropriate.

It's a disgrace and I find myself disgusted!
>>
>>27010442
Being patriarchal isn't the same as helping the patriarchy. One is passive and the other is active.
Just doing things the patriarchy usually does is passive.
Going out of your way to be a low-quality troll against feminism on /mlp/ is active.

See the difference?
>>
>>27010395
>3 / 0 / 2 / 1
there is no patriarchy. fuck off back to tumblr.
>>
>>27010395
Wait so what in this segment is meant to be triggering tumblr
Most of the background workers are female with the exception of the construction workers and bully's
Fuck we don't see anybody in any sort of leadership role
>>
>>27010690
>>27010442
Ah I see now
For fucks sake how could you miss the point of the scene that badly it was a joke about the wings distracting them

If you want to complain about anything it would be raritys characters she used to be a fucking golddigger
>>
>>27010395
>show with a literal matriarchy
I know this is bait but come on fampai
>>
>>27010698
>For fucks sake how could you miss the point of the scene that badly it was a joke about the wings distracting them
Well, fuck you.
If a woman with giant glittering boobs walked by me, I'd comment on it.
>>
>>27010395

Anon, literally EVERYTHING in popular media is heard towards perpetuating the patriarchy.

It's like you don't even tumblr or SJW or anything.
>>
File: 1459114993845.png (259 KB, 693x745) Image search: [Google]
1459114993845.png
259 KB, 693x745
>>27010395
Obligatory
>>
>>27010395
What exactly is your concern supposed to be here, OP?

>>27010984
Stop spreading that bullshit, it isn't even remotely true.

Equestria is not a matriarchy or patriarchy and that it's gender-egalitarian. There's no indication whatsoever that either gender is dominant or advantaged, socially or economically. We've seen ponies of both genders in a wide variety of positions, careers, etc. There's no real gender roles (enforced) to speak of.

The show focuses more on female-characters screentime-wise because of it's target audience, but it's never portrayed one gender as superior or dominant in their society.

If you want to be particularly pedantic and get into technicalities, you could call their government a matriarchy, however this is only due to the current head of state being female, and the same definition could apply to the UK because of the queen, so that particular has virtually no meaning or significance other than pointing out the genitals of the head(s) of state currently in office.

I'd say more, like usual, but I just woke up.

Anyway, yeah, Equestria is quite clearly gender-egalitarian. It has a considerably greater level of egalitarianism in that regard even compared to western nations, and this is both de-jure and de-facto. We've had a whole 5 and soon enough to be 6 seasons to observe this, and there simply is no evidence of "muh matriarchy" or "muh patriarchy".
>>
>>27010395
Damn I forgot how good the directing was in season 1 compared to after Faust left.
>>
>>27011496
Nice sources fucking idiot
>>
>>27011759
Not him, but that meme only works if no sources a provided friendo. He was clearly talking about the show itself which is the only usable source in this situation. Meme harder next time :^)
>>
>>27011759
My sources are the show you inbred retard, pay attention to it and maybe you'd actually see what I mean. As I mentioned, we've had a full five and counting seasons to observe this stuff. The nature of the show means information available is limited, but at this point it's pretty fucking clear that it's gender-egalitarian.
>>
File: dash costanza wonka.png (971 KB, 827x823) Image search: [Google]
dash costanza wonka.png
971 KB, 827x823
Sure is show related in here.
>>
>>27011784
lol kill urself
>>
>>27011795
> but it's never portrayed one gender as superior or dominant in their society.
kek
Then why always, mares are portrayed as the "alpha" gender and stallions as fucking "beta" fags?
>>
>>27011820
Nigga what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>27010395

I keep hearing about this Patriarchy and how it's everywhere but it seems to hide better than god. If the mighty Patriarchy rules society then why are men trapped in female-serving stereotypes? Why are cases of female rapists (raping men or other women) and husbandbeating pulled from the media? Why is there no such thing as paternity leave?
>>
>>27011820
Are we watching the same show, or did you change the channel when I looked away?
>>
>>27011799
Ye
>>
>>27012032

There's no such thing as paternity leave because the man's contribution is already ended - he donated sperm. Then he probably fucked off with the rest of the deadbeat dads.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 867x740) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 867x740
>>27010395
I don't know about patriarchy but it certainly teaches kids their roles in life are pretty much fixed from young adulthood. If only there was a tattoo or birthmark that could could remove all the confusion about who we are.
>>
>>27011820
Stop going to rgre and actually watch the show.
>>
>>27012101
This is good advice, all of /mlp/ could benefit from this
>>
>>27012101
/thread
>>
>>27010395

>>>/v/333476298
>>
>>27012073

There's a world of difference between being a sperm donor and being a father. A kid needs love, guidance and both a fatherly and a motherly figure to be nurtured by.
>>
>>27010395
Tits or gtfo
or probably in your case, man boobs
>>
File: USCoup.jpg (68 KB, 777x459) Image search: [Google]
USCoup.jpg
68 KB, 777x459
>>27010395
>>
>>27011795
Equestria may be portrayed as egalitarian, but that doesn't mean the show itself is. These are two different things. There is no proof that Equestria discrimminates either gender, but that doesn't mean that the show doesn't.

Regardless of how Equestria is portrayed, the show does have problematic aspects relating to the real world. Why are almost all the male characters stupid joke characters that are in no way taken seriously, while every single female character has at least some attempts made to be given a personality? The show falls into a typical trope in our society as portraying males as bumbling idiots, perfectly fine to laugh at. This is not something only the show does, this happens in a lot of media, and the show joins the rest of western culture in its acceptance and support of making fun of males and disregarding their ability to be real people.

The show makes jokes about men being feminine. As early as the second episode, we meet Steven Magnet, which is clearly intended to be a joke about a male possessing feminine qualities. More importantly, we have Big Mac's transformation scene. While awesome, it also has the problematic aspects of "a male being a princess how hilarious!", and also Brotherhooves Social, where a lot of the joke lies in Big Mac dressing femininely and trying to act femininely. This is also clearly intended to be funny, contributing to the show's problematic, if unintentional, messages.
>>
>>27013332
Filthy Rich Fancy Pants Donut Joe Big Mac Troublehooves Braeburn Cheese Sandwich off the top of my head. Those are all named characters who are no more "joke characters" than any of the female characters who have equal time. Flim and Flam and Trenderhoof are no worse than coloratura or Suri Polomare
>>
File: need more be said.png (766 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
need more be said.png
766 KB, 680x680
>>27013332
>bumping this thread
kill yourself.
>>
>>27013332
Male and female characters are portrayed equally. Most of the main characters are female, but that's because of the target audience. Side characters, which make up the vast majority of total characters in the show (but not the majority of the screentime, for sure), are filled with 'positive' examples of both male and female characters. Screentime-wise, female characters get more of that, sure, especially when most of the main characters/protagonists are female, but the show has never portrayed either gender unfairly.

And if there was a joke to be made with Steven Magnet, it was clearly his 'extravagant" presentation, not his femininity. Didn't Rarity even compliment him on how fabulous he was or something like that?

And the whole "Princess Big Mac" thing is solely a meme born from the fandom. Not really poking fun at feminine males, but poking fun at the idea of the quiet, reserved Big Macintosh being a 'pretty princess'.

I agree the joke was stupid, but it was basically just a fandom fad the writers finally threw in, to say it's indicative of the show insulting feminine men is silly. And as far as alicorns go, there's no reason whatsoever to believe that gender would be a factor, it's a position of merit/being a good leader, and genitals are irrelevant there.

And Brotherhooves Social is a sensitive topic that could have perhaps been handled better, but I don't think the intention was to make fun of anybody, nor should anybody reasonably interpret it that way. Taking it too seriously would be a mistake.

All of this doesn't mean that I don't think the writers couldn't do a better job with some of this stuff, but the bottom line is that this is a show that's heavily invested into a small cast of main characters, and that small cast is primarily female. Again, when it comes to side characters, there are plenty of great characters of both genders, especially in recent seasons.
>>
>>27013332
We can also add the pony that Rarity tricked into letting buy some stuff or something in that season 2 episode. The message is that it's okay to trick males if they are ugly, and that men are just stupid idiots who deserve to be tricked.

These are just some of the problems, but I gotta agree with the OP of the thread too, in that the scene he showed also is problematic. It can clearly be taken as a support of catcalling. And Rarity even thanked them, as if people like getting harassed like this. It is never okay to give strangers attention like this, I assume sexual, given that they are all males, the show does not acknowledge homophilia, and how typical scene this is in media. It is not very big, but this is a minor case of support of sexual harassment.

And now I haven't even touched upon all the other, non-sexist, problematic parts of MLP:FiM, like the fatshaming, or the racial stereotypes, or the lookism, and I'm gonna ignore the ableism due to how explosive that is in this fandom.

Just one more thing I want to mention, this may be a radical opinion, but I don't like compliments. Whenever you give a compliment to someone, you imply that they are superior for the quality you compliment, implicitly saying people who don't possess that quality are inferior and less worth for not being like that. I don't think it is possible to give compliments in a completely non-problematic way, and people should rather find other ways to tell people they like them. Not to mention, like in the case in the linked video, the extremely common coexistence with sexual harassment.
>>
File: pegasi mating ritual 2.jpg (393 KB, 807x1032) Image search: [Google]
pegasi mating ritual 2.jpg
393 KB, 807x1032
>>27010395

By the time your wife's daughter is old enough to watch cartoons, there'll be some other series she'd rather watch instead of some old pony show.

Also, fuck off back to tumblr.
>>
>>27013436
Snips, Snails, Snowflake, that pony Rarity tricks are the ponies I'm thinking the most about. There are no female counterparts to these characters. Well, perhaps the fat pony, but that's a chapter of its own, and I think it is the fatness that makes the writers feel like it's acceptable to make fun of her, and not her femaleness.

>>27013463
It is okay that the show mostly focuses on female characters. It is the portrayal that I am complaining about.

Also, it's not like I can't enjoy things I know is problematic. I loved Big Mac's transformation, but I am still able to realize that it actually is problematic. I can both enjoy something, but also see that it technically is problematic. I may not even care that it is problematic, but I am still able to realize that it actually is problematic.
When it comes to Princess Big Mac as a meme from the fandom, I think it's extremely likely that the fandom made that meme in a sexist context, in a sexist culture, and that sexism is imbued in the meme, given how common this exact sexist trope is. I bet the fandom found it funny because he was a male that became a princess, the meme wasn't born out of nothing. It was born out of a sexist sense of humour.

I don't worry about the alicorn thing, it may just be by chance, and the show has not spoken anything sexist about it, so I don't worry about that. With a mostly female cast, and only 5 alicorns, it may just be by chance. But if the show ever speaks a message that only females can do accomplish the traits that turns you into an alicorn, that's when I will worry.

There are many great characters, that is true, though.
>>
>>27013533
Said daughter is bound to wind up watching some Tumblr-tier cartoon such as SU.
>>
>>27013332
>More importantly, we have Big Mac's transformation scene.
I love it when people bring this up like they're making a point and consistently fail to realize that he was wearing a KING'S crown.
>>
>>27012186

Presence necessary to lay the keel, but not to launch the ship. Paternity leave denied.
>>
>>27013614
We have ditzy and inconstant femle characters in Trade Ya (the chick who wants te Cerberus) and in the sassy Saddles episode (heck, most of the customers are female and shallow/ditzy.) Also derpy is pretty close to a female Snips & Snails.

The characters you are thinking of are a tiny minority if the male characters, and do not a trend make.
>>
>>27013738
You bring up some interesting points I hadn't considered. The show has some female characters too, that fall into the feminine stereotypes of females being ditzy and stupid.

We can consider their looks too, all the males are ugly, but I think most of the females are relatively regular, and the severity, but I think it's interesting to talk about.

Perhaps a bigger problem is that the show tells us that it's fine to treat ugly people poorly. Many of the joke characters are ugly.

I'll just leave it at this.

One more thing. Derpy is ableist. A common cartoon trope is to show stupiditiy with having mis-aligned eyes. Derpy fall into this. I don't think she's much worse than many other things, but technically, it is ableist to use the eyes to tell something about intelligence.

I love her though, she's my favorite pony, and I would never have her removed. But I am able to recognize that she actually can be considered problematic, as I talked about previously.
>>
File: 1458462775873.gif (879 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
1458462775873.gif
879 KB, 245x230
>Ponies
>Discussing modern day feminism

I kinda like this.
>>
One the one hand, posting things ironically is one of the most faggoty things a person can do.

On the other, I REALLY hope the people in this thread are not being serious when they post things like "ableist".
>>
File: 1458481973207.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1458481973207.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>27013975

Posting things ironically is what this website is about, it is the soul, the epicenter, the core. Check yourself before you shrek yourself, kiddo.

Nothing personel.
>>
>>27014018
t. Facebook refugee
>>
File: get_a_load_a_this_bait_cam.jpg (140 KB, 774x663) Image search: [Google]
get_a_load_a_this_bait_cam.jpg
140 KB, 774x663
>>27013884
>ableist

stop using made up tumblr language
>>
File: rene descartes.jpg (49 KB, 704x441) Image search: [Google]
rene descartes.jpg
49 KB, 704x441
Picture very related
>>
>>27013884

>Respecting other peoples' viewpoints
Zis is 4CHAN! Vee do not respect zee viewpoints uff others here!
>>
>>27014151

Too late.
Way too late.
Far, far, far too late.
About five years too late.

"And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, 'I drink therefore I am!'"
>>
>>27011013
Specially when she´s showing them off so fucking shamelessly.
>>
>>27013466
>saying somebody looks good
>sexual harasment
Pick one
>>
>>27014221
Gives new meaning to the phrase "put your wings away and stop showing off..."
>>
>>27012303
lol
>>
File: schizobitzo.png (286 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
schizobitzo.png
286 KB, 500x492
>>27013975
>>27014018
>>27014122
>>27014151
>>27014173
>>27014221
>>27014261
>not being down with the lit
>>
>>27014381
I have a lot to say to this, but I'm going to sleep now. If you are REALLY interested, try searching for related terms in the /r9k/ archive, perhaps you are lucky, I've talked about it before, but not now. Have to sleep, have to leave for work in 6 hours.

In short, I think it is sexual harassment if it's motivated by attraction. Imagine you are someone who walks around, and people constantly comment on your looks, wouldn't you feel sexually harassment? Well, a single person isn't responsible for what other people say, but he is still contributing to building up the person's experience of sexual harassment. Every single case of a sexually motivated comment (and this includes simple attraction), is a case of sexual harassment. And yes, almost every romantic relationship starts with one person sexually harassing the other.
We can't define sexual harassment by how the victim experiences it, because then there would be no consistency in how people should act. This is the only way to properly define sexual harassment. And I guess we should rather find some rules for acceptable sexual harassment (only sexually harass people you have a personal relationship with, stop harassing them if they don't like it), and I think most people can be fine with this compromise. (The alternative would be government assigned romantic partners, since all relationships start with sexual harassment)

So yes, this is probably a case of sexual harassment. If they were motivated by Rarity's beauty or attractiveness, they were sexually harassing her (in all likelyhood the case). And compliments are problematic regardless, so the scene is still not cleared of guilt.

Seems I took the time to explain after all, you shouldn't need to look it up after this I think.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.