[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So if we look at seasons 1-3 as phase 1, and seasons 4-6 as phase
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11
File: pinkiesing.gif (2 MB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
pinkiesing.gif
2 MB, 576x324
So if we look at seasons 1-3 as phase 1, and seasons 4-6 as phase 2, which second phase episodes have become one of your favorites? Did they grow on you or were they instantly one of your faves? (Yes I know s6 just began, so mainly talking about 4 and 5)

For me Pinkie Pride was an episode I instantly fell in love with, as well as Hearthbreakers
>>
>>27002521
Honestly, I've loved pretty much every episode with Starlight Glimmer.
But Crusaders of the Lost Mark is my overall favorite of the series.
>>
>>27002536

This desu
Starlight Glimmer makes every episode good (just not the 2nd part of the finale)

But CMC are shit, all of their episodes are shit, and Im talking about spike-level crap, just as how Flurry heart will do
>>
>>27002624
Objectively wrong opinion
>>
>>27002624
>But CMC are shit, all of their episodes are shit
You've dishonored this thread. Seppuku now, kohai.
>>
>>27002521
Amending fences was a personal favourite from s5.
>>
>>27003355
Amending Fences might just be the best episode of the whole show.
>>
>>27003367
Objectively wrong opinion
>>
>>27002521
Probably Testing Testing 123 and Rarity Investigates were my instant favorites.
>>
>>27003655
Objectively right opinion
>>
>>27003655
>Testing Testing 123

This was the very first Rainbow Dash episode that made me like or sympathize with her at all after three seasons of basically finding her to be the most annoying character on the whole show
S4 is very special to me in a few ways I'm realizing
>>
>>27002521
>>27002536
Crusaders of the Lost Mark is definitely my all-time favourite. Nothing has ever put me in a state of literal disbelief like that episode did. Was actually questioning whether I was dreaming for a few minutes.
>>
>>27002521
>pinkie pride and hearthbreakers
top tier taste there OP
>>
>>27002521
Being a massive Weird Al fag, I have to give it to Pinkie Pride. The fact that I was so hype and that it didn't disappoint at all was fucking amazing.
>>
>>27003869
Crusaders of the Lost Mark was the first episode I physically cried to. So many feels, bro.
>>
>>27004125
>first episode I physically cried to
>probably the only one
fucking casual
>>
>>27004125
I didn't even cry, I just sat there thinking "this isn't real. Holy shit, this isn't real." I had transcended above and beyond mere tears. I don't know if anything will make me feel that way again.
>>
>>27003869
>>27004125
Same here. Though I gotta say, Diamond Tiara touched me even more than the CMCs getting their marks. Too bad they cut her part out of the "We made our mark" song.
>>
>>27004287
I hope we'll get the extended version eventually.
>>
>>27004320
Me too.
>>
>>27004125

Objectively shit opinion

Not even kidding, I mean holy shit DT is a bitch and her having an abusive mother doesnt change that fact
>>
>>27004333
Objectively kill yourself.
>>
>>27004333
>DT is a bitch
Then what does that say about Babs?
>>
Top episodes of season 5 and 4 that sit close to top episodes of 1, 2, and 3:

Hearthbreakers
Pinkie Apple Pie
Scare Master
Maui Pie

These 4 will be up there with episodes like Suited for Success, The Return of Harmony 2 parter, and Sleepless in Ponyville. For people who say there's nothing like the first 2 seasons in the newer seqsons, they obviously like to close their eyes. I will say that I feel as if the overall quality has dropped some, but that may be because the overarching plot is a bit different after the alicorn transformation and I'm not a big fan of it now.
>>
File: 1413660677194.jpg (20 KB, 338x430) Image search: [Google]
1413660677194.jpg
20 KB, 338x430
>>27002521
sleepless in ponyville is still my series favorite, but if i had to choose one from phase 2, itd be brotherhooves social. reminded my a lot of my relationship with my own little sister.

crusaders of the lost mark is a close second.
>>
>>27004714
>>27004553
I don't really understand what the big deal is about sleepless in Ponyville.
Scootaloo being a scaredy cat got old very fast, and was cringeworthy as a whole, even if it had some nice Luna appearance and characterization. It's still among my lower rated episodes.
>>
>>27004726
Kill yourself.
>>
>>27004914
Why?
Because I don't like an episode very much that you, and most people do?
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1500x1063) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1500x1063
>>27002536
Fixed it
>>
>>27004726
>Scootaloo being a scaredy cat got old very fast
maybe you didnt have a similar childhood, but i recall doing almost everything she did as a kid. the story was also very comfy.

favorites have almost nothing to do with how well theyre made, but rather how they make you feel.
>>
>>27004726

It's liked and regarded so highly because it creates a lot of feel good and cute moments which is what brought so many people to the show. The idea of being seen as weak by someone you admire and look up to is a fear a lot of people have, so it makes sense that Scootaloo is even more afraid to talk about her fears when Dash is around because she doesn't want to seem like a diaappointment. The episode ends with Dash pretty much saying she can be scared of things too just like anyone else. It helps bring Dash down from this pedestal for Scootaloo which helps them be closer than athlete and fan. It also ties up the last CMC having a sister-like figure. The episode isn't crazy, doesn't have a weird feeling, and feels overall human which helps people relate and enjoy the content more making it a very good contender for best episode of the series.
>>
>>27002521

1. Pinkie Apple Pie
2. s5 premiere
3. Maud Pie
4. Rarity investigates
5. Testing testing 1,2,3
>>
>>27006300

I'm curious. Why Rarity investigates over something like, say Canterlot Butique? Also, do you consider Rarity Investigates to be on the same level as Mystery on the Friendship Express?
>>
>Lumping in season 3 with 1&2

I'm one of the most pleased fans with the show over the years and even I can't keep my mouth shut. You goofed, OP. Season 3 was good but god damn. No. No. No.

On top of that... Phases, really? Seasons 1 and 2 were the semi slice-of-life phase with the most character development. This change is what compelled the show to take new directions after that.

Season 3 is a phase all on its own, sorry.
>>
>>27006396
Not him, but Rarity Investigates were very cleverly written, the Noir was pretty chill, working towards the mystery was pretty exciting, despite being a bit obvious.
Rarity really shined in the episode too as a friend.
>>
>>27006457

I feel like season 1, 2, and 3 fit into one whole arc if you look at the story as a whole. It was about 6 friends that grew, learned about themselves and about eachother, and all of them understanding true friendship causing Twilight's ascension. Season 3 was in more of a wrap up phase than the other two were as the end showed why. Season 4+ feel like they are in another arc where the focus is less on the main 6 within themselves andores about them spreading their values and lessons outward, putting more of a focus on secondary and background characters, overarching adventure plot, and a focus on developing the world around them. That's why I tend to see 4, 5, and what I assume will follow the trend 6 as a change in the way the story feels and has slowly decreased in interest for me. It's not that there aren't good episodes that I like anymore, its just that it feels different than what the first 3 seasons were aiming for which gives it a different feel.
>>
File: react mindfuck chess.jpg (52 KB, 430x409) Image search: [Google]
react mindfuck chess.jpg
52 KB, 430x409
I'm just not recalling anything along the lines of character development in season 3. My memory is shit, though. The only Season 3 content I remember at all is the Discord rehabilitation, the whodunit on the train and the abortion of a finale. Loved Twiggy's ascension but it was carried out like ass.
>>
File: react thats very convincing.jpg (54 KB, 1176x872) Image search: [Google]
react thats very convincing.jpg
54 KB, 1176x872
>>27006864
This was meant for >>27006815
>>
>>27006864
mmmystery was S2
>>
File: react baby file size.jpg (64 KB, 631x630) Image search: [Google]
react baby file size.jpg
64 KB, 631x630
>>27006942
the fuck
>>
>>27006864

The things I'm specifically thinking of was Wonderbolts Academy, Games Ponies Play (bit of a stretch with Twilight 'learning' how to deal with the stress of being a leader), Apple Family Reunion giving us the (almost) conformation of the death of her parents giving us a reason why she puts everything in her hooves (so to speak), the two you named, Sleepless in Ponyville giving Scoots Dash and Dash becoming a mentor instead of an idol, and the season openers. A few of them are a bit of a stretch, but I'd say there was quite a bit more than none in that season. The finale really helps me cement my decision to put it as part of season 1 and 2 though.
>>
>>27007122
I nod at everything but the finale... I just can't emotionally handle the idea of associating the finale with the first two seasons. It was SO fucking rushed and the musicals were particularly infantile, even for MLP. But I guess that makes sense.
>>
>>27007236
For me it was the season 3 finale that sealed MLP as my favorite show, and it's going only stronger ever since.
>>
>>27007455
Don't get me wrong, I appreciated Twiggy's ascension. Everything else just felt clunky.

Glad somebody else could like it, though.
>>
Castle-mania and power ponies are my favorite s4 episodes
Castle sweet castle is my S5 favorite but s5 felt pretty weak to me

>people like crusaders of the lost mark
it was rushed as fuck you can't push something that important in 22 minutes
>>
File: react feel group hug.gif (36 KB, 200x146) Image search: [Google]
react feel group hug.gif
36 KB, 200x146
>>27007697
Castle-Mania was god tier. And Castle Sweet Castle was my favorite.

It really felt like the year-long metaphorical little journey with these characters was being tied together again for the umpteenth time, but the tree root chandelier scene was like a lovable punch to the stomach.

Guys, we're discussing the show again. We're not pissing and moaning. We're conversing enjoyably. Is there something in the water?
>>
>>27002521
>So if we look at seasons 1-3 as phase 1, and seasons 4-6 as phase 2
It's funny you say that. A couple years ago I thought of a prediction that fim would end with season 9, and that they'd be unofficially divided into these "phases". (1-3 4-6 7-9) And that the end of each phase would have a major game changing development. (Like Princess Twilight)
Anyone think there's gonna be something big at the end of season 6?
>>
>>27007738
episodes where the Main six just chill out together got more and more rare with each season
winter wrap up and best night ever were my s1 favorite episodes
>>
>>27007796
Didn't much care for Best Night Ever because I felt the story was about the musicals, as opposed to the other way around. But no one else seems to agree.

Winter Wrap Up was glorious, though.
>>
File: 1459197818204.jpg (70 KB, 490x485) Image search: [Google]
1459197818204.jpg
70 KB, 490x485
>>27007738
>Is there something in the water?
Why, why did you say that?
Oh lord...it's, coming back to me...https://youtube.com/watch?v=bc1wi0VMhbA
~Sippin rainbow juice, talking elements of harmony
>>
>>27007236

I agree that it was rushed 100% and should have been two different episodes. There's a writeup out there on why it was trash and felt terrible, but really, it was meant to be the end of the show, or in the case of this discussion, the arc. We are introduced in the start of the arc to Twilight as what we are to assume is the main protagonist. While the other 5 are still very important and main characters, they weren't the Cloud so to speak. It was about watching Twilight (and extended to the main 6) grow personally and create friendships that would last a lifetime, coming to understand why she needed those friends in the first episode. The finale of season 3 (The second half) puts that to light and shows that friendship had improved her life 100% , giving her access to new knowledge, abilities, ambitions, and a conduit to harness the raw ability that was hidden away. There is no way Twilight would be able to teleport as well as she could at the end of season 3 without needing to use it first to help her friends. This is one of many examples of how the friendship helped her harness and control her power much more than she could originally.
>>
File: react joy giddy.gif (810 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
react joy giddy.gif
810 KB, 300x200
>>27007862
>someone got the reference

Fucking bend me over bro, do whatever the fuck. I needed that.
>>
>>27007864
Hate to sound like a douche but anything further than a sincere nod would be redundant on my part.

this next bit is written for one particular lurker

Pinkie was never my favorite, but she was fucking BUTCHERED in seasons 4 and 5 and that's not even a matter of opinion. She used to be a tastefully silly comic relief character with a convenient capacity to be poignant when it was called for.

And with the exception of 2 or 3 episodes, she was just an energetic rude bitch with no tact.

She improved a lot in season 6, though. The episode didn't showcase her all that well but she seemed more in tune with reality like she did in the first two seasons.
>>
>>27007951
>in seasons 4 and 5
Surely, you only mean 4. Season 5 actually made Pinkie quite "tame" compared to the most over-the-top season 4's treatment.
She was reasonable and open to converse with in at least Lost Treasure of Griffonstone, Party Pooped, Hearthbreakers, Scaremaster, Amending Fences and Mane Attraction. With the exception of The One Where Pinkie Knows, she was a reasonable, and more often than not very helpful character in season 5, while keeping most of her laughter.
And Season 6 seems to intend keeping her that way so far.
>>
Picking something that haven't been mentioned already:

The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone

It managed to explore a new area, introduce lore with a new monster and history, have Rainbow and Pinkie make amends with Gilda, and tackle a friendship problem all while remaining funny and not seeming rushed at all.

Some smaller things I liked:
super cute flight camp flashback
Gilda imitating the motions of Gruff's story
demonstrating what Griffons think of Ponies ("Typical pony hero complex")
the scones were mentioned several times before their importance was revealed
Rainbow calling out Pinkie for being sappy
Gilda given the task of repairing Griffonstone, it leaves the story open to continuation
>>
>>27008072
I don't remember 4 and 5 well enough to debate this. All I remember is watching the entirety of the two seasons disappointed in her. So I'll just have to shut my mouth.

>>27008213
I don't hear that episode discussed very much. By this logic, I declare it to be hideously underrated. Until then, my Season 1 Flutterfaggotry dictated that I would hate Gilda forever, but I was swayed in that episode.

>Gilda given the task of repairing Griffonstone, it leaves the story open to continuation
Almost too good to be true, but we can hope.
>>
>>27008394
I can understand that, but if you just take a quick glance to the episodes you will see that between those 2 seasons, Pinkie got the biggest change in personality so far.
Season 4 was almost as if they were experiencing with where to go with her.
>>
>>27008428
I'll end up marathoning all of them with my sort-of little sister eventually, so I'll pay attention.
>>
>>27007951
>She improved a lot in season 6, though
she is about the same as s5
actually worse if I had to pick one or the other
>>
>>27008450
Alright.
>sort-of little sister
I'm kinda jealous.
>>
>>27008498
Don't be; It's a subject of heartache for me right now. Haven't spent time with her in like 3 years. She used to be the 6 year old who watched me play MMOs or MLP with me while using me as a human jungle gym. Now she turns 11 in september, she's grown up, she's a young adult... What the fuck, dude. I thought adults were always so fucking stupid gushing to me about how fast I grew, and now I totally get it. Fucking hurts.

>>27008488
I only thought she improved because of how she made that sacrifice for Maud. It made her seem less distant and tactless than some of the episodes beforehand. Might just be me.
>>
>>27008213

While I agree that this episode is fantastic, I think there are a few that beat it out in season 5. It was the first time in season 5 where I honestly felt happy that I continued to watch the show after the break and hit all the right notes with fun between Dash and Pinkie
>>
In addition to what everyone has said, I would have to add Make New Friends but Keep Discord. I thought it was such a cute episode.
That and Twilight's Kingdom, though I know opinions on that are mixed.
>>
>>27008827
>cute

This, a thousand times, but I thought it was actually astonishingly clever for a kid's toy commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXn6igYTwbA

This was god tier.
>>
>>1

Does this do anything
>>
>>27008841
That's Keep Calm and Flutter On, Make New Friends, But Keep Discord was the one where Discord gets jealous that Fluttershy didn't invite him to the Gala.
>>
File: react you wot m8 crop.jpg (23 KB, 292x298) Image search: [Google]
react you wot m8 crop.jpg
23 KB, 292x298
>>27009247
I genuinely believe I might be experiencing the onset of alzheimer's
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.