[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This season feels like a G 3.5 in the writting side http://
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 20
File: 5675.png (65 KB, 745x222) Image search: [Google]
5675.png
65 KB, 745x222
This season feels like a G 3.5 in the writting side

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-a-hearths-warming-tail/EP013304160136?aid=zap2it

What next? a tea party with pinkie?
>>
But I guess a sleepover in Season 1 where they act like 11 year olds is okay
>>
A comfy Starlight/Twilight episode?

They better not fuck it up.
>>
File: sides fucking obliterated.jpg (269 KB, 715x1538) Image search: [Google]
sides fucking obliterated.jpg
269 KB, 715x1538
>>27001919
>>27001942
muh season one purists on suicide watch
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 300x168
>>27001919
>another hearthswarming episode
>>
>>27001919
>he doesn't like watching cute poners doing cute things
why don't you like nice, comfy things?
>>
File: light.png (119 KB, 598x600) Image search: [Google]
light.png
119 KB, 598x600
>>27001946
>>27001992
How comfy are we talking?
>>
>>27001919
>More Shitlight Glimmer
You know, she's the first thing that's actually turned me off from watching the show in general.
>>
>>27001919
Not really that hyped for more Glimmer but if the story is comfy sign me up
>>
>>27002042
Hi Lily Peet
>>
File: sweetjesus.png (99 KB, 267x281) Image search: [Google]
sweetjesus.png
99 KB, 267x281
>>27002014
HEARTH'S WARMING EVE IN FRONT OF THE FIRE WITH A FRIEND READING YOU A STORY COMFY
>>
File: bomb.png (430 KB, 796x1132) Image search: [Google]
bomb.png
430 KB, 796x1132
>>27001919

>tea party with pinkie

How about a tea party with shining?
>>
>>27002069
Not him though not exactly surewho he is either
>>
>>27002087
Anything with shining not getting BTFO would a fun watch. He's got it worse than the princesses.
>>
>>27001919
>"Twilight tries to help her by reading one of her favorite Heart Warming's Eve stories"
Literally a lore episode about the time before/during the foundation of Equestria.

At the end of the episode Celestia comes and tell Twilight her book is full of shit. Twilight doesn't understand. So Celestia tells her "I was there"
>>
>>27001919
This seems a lot like the plot of the 2015 Holiday Special comic.
>>
>>27001946
If it's going to be one of these, I'm already really excited.
>>27002014
Extremely comfy and maybe even a little shippy.
>>
>>27001919
More starfu? Not even mad, that horse cute as fuck
>>
>>27001919
It's an episode about Princess Twilight and that other Twilight. Sounds like the most skippable episode of the season.
>>
Is this the one with Christmas dragons? I guess Gauntlet of Fire solves the whole pony/dragon animosity.
>>
File: S6 bingo 2.jpg (2 MB, 1571x1572) Image search: [Google]
S6 bingo 2.jpg
2 MB, 1571x1572
>>27001919
Updated.

S06E04 - On Your Marks
Now that they've finally received their cutie marks, the Cutie Mark Crusaders struggle with the question of what's next; the friends do not all agree on how to embrace their destinies.
S06E05 - Gauntlet of Fire
In order to save his friends, Spike is forced to compete in a perilous Gauntlet for the title of Dragon Lord.
S06E06 - No Second Prances
S06E07 - Newbie Dash
After Rainbow Dash achieves her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt, she makes a disastrous first impression and gets saddled with a mortifying nickname.
S06E08 - A Hearth's Warming Tail
Starlight Glimmer has a case of the holiday blues, so Twilight tries to help cure her by reading one of her favorite Hearth Warming's Eve stories, A Hearth's Warming Tale.

-2 Discord episodes (possibly twoparter)
-Gabby the Griffon (can griffons have cutie marks?) episode
-"Flutter Brutter" episode featuring Fluttershy's Brother
-Babs Seed return
-Daring Do returns
-Dragons, including a girl dragon. Appear in Hearthswarming Eve episode, and visit to their homeland.
-New character: Cotton Candy Face
-Possibly Felicia Day and William Shatner guest-starring
>>
>>27002087
>inb4 shining brief appearance
>inb4 "this is a nice tea, Twilight"
>>
>>27001919

Sounds boring, honestly.
>>
>>27001919
>story time
Sounds good. I'd like that. Last last Hearth's Warming episode was pure lore.
>>
>>27002178
We've had a little alicorn lore, actually.
>>
>>27001919
So it's going to be a pony version of A Christmas Carol right?

Who's going to be Scrooge?
>>
>>27001919
>comfy and cute Starlight and Twilight interaction
Sounds good to me. Hope Spike comes along too cause he was really good with Starlight in the premiere.
>>
>>27002246
neo/mlp/, people

where cute, cozy slice of life is considered "boring"
>>
>>27002278
Too inconclusive, it basically amounted to "we don't know shit", open to multiple interpretations, and Luna and Celestia could've been purposefully withholding information.

Or far more likely: Haber fucked up and didn't take the Journal into account.
>>
>>27002282
>A Hearth's Warming Tale
>A Christmas Carol

Yeah. I'm going to have this in the back of my mind watching it though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzLvRbJzbAE
>>
File: s85sJp7.png (562 KB, 548x800) Image search: [Google]
s85sJp7.png
562 KB, 548x800
>>27001919
>A Starlight episode
>>
File: face.jpg (58 KB, 587x573) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
58 KB, 587x573
>>27002282
RD
>>
>>27002303

>josh haber
>caring about the lore

choose one
>>
File: Tribe_reunion_S2E11.png (750 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Tribe_reunion_S2E11.png
750 KB, 1280x720
>>27001919
A chance for more lore, possibly?
>>
>>27002393

Probably just a random history without lore, the easy way for the newfag writers
>>
>>27001946
Some good Twi and Starlight interaction would be pretty welcome. Premiere was more Spike and Starlight.
>>
>>27002393
>expecting it to have anything to dow itht he original Hearth's Warming story

It's obviously going to be a Charles Dickens adaption.
>>
Oh wow, I didn't know that there were any Christmas tales about birth of Jesus and not some random story that happened during Christmas.
I can't wait for that lore like in every single Christmas story ever created.
>>
>>27002103
>him
>he
You know exactly who she/he is clearly from your "misuse" of pronouns.
>>
File: cap laughs.jpg (432 KB, 709x1000) Image search: [Google]
cap laughs.jpg
432 KB, 709x1000
>>27002420
>thinking the Birth of Jesus has anything to do with Christmas
>>
>>27002656
Fucking pagan
>>
>>27002656
Only the pagan stuff is fun anyways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A4vle_goat

Check the timeline.
>>
>>27001919
Sounds comfy.
>>
>cute ponies doing cute things
What the fuck you do watching the show.
I watch mlp for cute stuff
I visit /mlp/ for my daily doses of cancer.

Also check my green about Pony Statue of Liberty fucking other monuments.
>>
>>27001919
>Christmas episode
>In the middle of April
>>
File: 1391728683283.png (374 KB, 548x493) Image search: [Google]
1391728683283.png
374 KB, 548x493
>>27001919
>one of her favorite stories, A Hearth's Warming Tale
>episode title is A Hearth's Warming Tail
>they really had to make this weak fucking pun
>>
>>27001919
I agree that the description sounds garbage but they've had a tendency to have terrible descriptions since it's still you know, a little girls show and all, but who knows. There's other episodes like Look Before You Sleep where the premise would have been equally as garbage sounding but the execution was pretty damn good. If nothing else, this is the new writers chance to show they are capable of writing more laid back slice of life episodes with character development as the focus.
>>
>>27003245
How is no one excited for A Christmas Carol with ponies?
>>
>>27002178
I hope we get a good shitstorm in Gauntlet of Fire. Hype is dead otherwise.
>>
>>27002302
Stop using neo/mlp/, makes you sound like a massive wanker

Just call them faggots
>>
>>27001919
>bookhorse reads a cosy story to another magichorse
I like it already
>>
File: celestia x luna eclipse rump.png (420 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
celestia x luna eclipse rump.png
420 KB, 768x1024
The target audience, who was ~7 years old when this show came out, is now ~13 years old.

I'm not going to spoonfeed to you what that means because speaking the truth directly often serves only to assist people in inoculating themselves against it, but you should consider the implications of what I said.
>>
File: Comfy af m8.png (84 KB, 634x342) Image search: [Google]
Comfy af m8.png
84 KB, 634x342
Hope everybody's nice and tucked in, because this is going to be the season of comfy.
>>
>>27003647
WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO?
>>
>>27002178
>suikuzu
no thanks
>>
>>27003747
?
>>
>>27003760
pure unfiltered autism
>>
>>27003841
>Ezeneca
no thanks
>>
>>27001919
>Hearth's warming.
>AGAIN
This is just getting annoying.

Annual holiday episode don't work if there isn't something more unique to them, like the show doing whatever it wants regardless of logic, like what TOH did.

And is there really nothing to even do with sunset as a character that isn't just a rehash of the "make friends" we had in the first three seasons?
>>
>>27003647
I can't find any implications in what you're trying to say.
>>
>>27003912
>sunset
Huh?
>>
>>27001919
>hearthwarming episode
>not actual "all main characters together" feel episode as suppose to be
>it's "we care about newly introduced not-Sunset Shimmer character"

Already sound like shit. And is probably about this "Santa Dragon" or something.
>>
>>27002042
This, i don't understand DHX trying to push her as a main character. She's out of nowhere with shitty backstory and no real character or perosnality.

Yet she suppose to be a second Discord?
>>
>>27003958
Oh right sorry, Starlight. There's so little originality between them I must have gotten confused.
>>
>>27003971
They are running out of ideas so they added another character
>>
>>27002178
>Discord will be back to evil and be dead in the finale.
>Twilight Sparkle will lose her wings to save her friends in the S6 finale.
>>
>still no synopsis for No Second Prances
Oh shit. What's gonna happen in that episode if even incompetent Discovery Family faggots are trying so hard to keep it in secret?
>>
>>27004114
It's going to be a redemption episode.
Place your bets on who it will be this time.
>>
>>27003991
>Zecora
>Cheerilee
>Celestia
>Scorpan
>Starswirl

>Actual develpment/past of Mane6 (instead just indrocuding new family members)

These would be a betetr plotlines than introducing a generic "Not Sunset-Shimmer" character with i must say is bland as fuck. She HAD a clear dominant-villanous perosnality but just like Susnet she turned into an average Joe little whiny white girl right after redemption. All her charisma, intelligence and leadership somehow dissapear between S05 finale and S06 finale. I felt like looking at Sunset in Rainbow Rocks. Most forgetable and boring character. Even Trixie would have been a better protagonist.
>>
>>27004130

Lightning Dust.
>>
>>27004136
Wonderbolt episode the week after, though.
>>
>>27004021
When will this meme die?
>>
>>27004231
When that one person who spam it, dies.
>>
File: DashedRelations.png (664 KB, 875x2240) Image search: [Google]
DashedRelations.png
664 KB, 875x2240
>>27001966
>>27001942
>OOOH! BLOWN THE FUCK OUT! SEASON 1 AND SEASON 6 ARE EXACTLY THE SAME

Not really. I think the difference is that in season one, AJ and Rarity would fight with each other and bitterly clash over their ideological backgrounds while Twilight treats it like a mix of assignment and her first time doing a fun activity with friends. In season 1 they would mock and ridicule each other, trying to pettily undermine one another without outright ruining the evening.

In season 6, they would sit around comfortably tolerating each other, paying compliments and respects, and then some unrelated conflict would come up. Like an elf that makes the roof leak. But then the elf would go away as soon as they asked it nicely or if they gave it dollar, so there would be no rising tension and no real social conflicts.

Saying season 6 feels like G3.5 is totally fair. It's gone back to kissy, cutie, happy fun friend pones with Princess Sparkle and her magical friends who don't do shit.
>>
>>27004253
I feel like you are deliberately misrepresenting what S1 was trying to do.
>>
>>27004253
>he knows this from the premise alone
>>
>>27004136
>>27004212
I hope so.
It would be nice to see the writers attempt two-parters that aren't just the premiere and finale.
If they could pull it off, it would be great for future seasons, as they could get a greater variety of stories and paces.
>>
>>27004272
So far we've had three episodes in season 6 where there has been no actual conflict, and the resolution was achieved with no struggle.

For the opener, Sunburst outright had all the answers. There wasn't a quest or a struggle to have them, he simply showed up and fixed everything, and the main conflict was the ticking clock of "maybe this storm is gonna be dangerous". For some reason four alicorns lacked the magical power to divert an ordinary storm front. Look at everything they did to try to solve that and tell me where you followed a build up - you didn't. You may have known Sunburst was going to have all the answers, but you sure as fuck didn't go on the journey that led him to those answers.

Then we had the Pinkie episode where they spent maybe more than half the time kind of farting around talking about buying a gift, a few minutes buying a gift, a few minutes regretting the purchase, and the resolution was that Pinkie got her canon back basically by having Maud asking for it. Again, you don't really have a clear conflict or rising action. There's just a bunch of shit going on that could have happened in any order, followed up by, "That was fun, let's invite Rarity again!" Seriously, watch it again and imagine Pinkie had given away the party canon in the beginning of the episode instead of the end. Mix up all the scenes. Does it hurt the flow of the episode? No, it really wouldn't, just so long as Pinkie's "no canon" moping session happened after she gave away the canon.

Man, so far we're looking at three episodes that plays as a bullet list of unrelated garbage followed up with a finale of tangentially related solutions. There are zero social conflicts and the contrasting personalities of the characters are meaningless because they aren't used to drive any aspect of the show.

It's Kissy Princess Sparkle Friendship Episode, and there's high likelihood a lot of this season will be like this if the past three are anything to go by.
>>
>>27002134
>shippy
>implying hasbro would ever create a lasting ship
>>
>>27004253
>trying to pettily undermine one another without outright ruining the evening.
Except this didn't happen and a tree ended up inside the library. Of couse something on this scale wouldn't happen again, in season 1 they had just become friends.By the way thanks for lokking in to the future, can you tell what going to happen in the other episodes?
>>
>>27004253
So what would you rather have happen? The writers saying "fuck it, we're going to disregard the lessons that have been learned in the previous 5 seasons just to rehash old drama"?

>>27004316
>the main conflict was the ticking clock of "maybe this storm is gonna be dangerous"

I think you've completely missed the point of the season opener.
>>
File: 1352945576228.gif (985 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
1352945576228.gif
985 KB, 500x337
>>27004348
You dense motherfucker. Was that tree stuck in Twilight's house for the whole episode? Did they spend they entire episode trying to figure out how to remove it? No they fucking didn't. They spent five minutes, at best, removing that thing and it served as the resolution to the main conflict, which was that the two characters were bickering and trying to undermine each other.

>>27004357
>What, you want them to ignore all the "character development"?
You other dense motherfucker. No, I don't want AJ and Rarity to have another fight in the tree house. I don't want AJ to work herself to exhaustion on the farm again. I don't want AJ to get in another fight with a bunch of buffalo.

What I do want is for AJ to be stubborn and often unwilling to change her mind once she's got an idea in her head. I want her to sometimes dig in and refuse to budge on something. I want AJ to behave like her character.

Obliterating a character's core personality trait just because she learned to tolerate Rarity better at a sleep over is not "development" or "learning". It's catastrophically, disastrously, amateurish writing. They've butchered these characters so hard it's getting to where I'm beginning to wonder character-driven stories they can even write anymore. They've slammed so many doors in their own faces, and the season go on it seems like they're slamming more and more doors.

That's not development or progression. Jesus, man.
>>
>>27004316
>ordinary storm front.
Really now? are you serious?
>Mix up all the scenes. Does it hurt the flow of the episode?
I don't get what you are trying to prove here, that most of the episode was filler?.
>than half the time kind of farting around talking about buying a gift,
Oversimplyfying is an easy way to make something sound really shit
This was the whole purpose, are you saying bits could have been cut out and it wouldn't have made a difference?

You cant predict the direction of a season with the first three episodes
>>
>>27004432
>I don't get it
Okay, so you're writing a story, right? It's a progression of events. You throw a ball up in the air, and it seems like it's going to travel up forever, but then the ball starts to slow down. Suddenly the ball reverses direction and it's plummeting towards the earth! You don't want the ball to fall, so you catch it! What happened that made the ball do that? You don't know, but that was the balls story. There was an arc.

What the last episode did was not an arc. It was a list of things. They went to dinner, Pinkie checked a store for a gift but the shop was closed, she traded away her canon - and that part had a brief arc but it was a small fragment of the episode, Rarity searched for a new shop, and then at the end she bought a place.

You could have reorganized the episode into any order. You even could have started with Rarity buying her shop, then showing Pinkie the other location she looked at to explain why she didn't buy that one - it wouldn't have mattered. None of it mattered. There was story. No meaningful sequence. No core conflict. Just a bunch of things happening in an arbitrary order that you could rearrange at will.
>>
>>27004406
So you're saying it's bad because it's too similar to what was already done, right?
>>
>>27004406
>What I do want is for AJ to be stubborn and often unwilling to change her mind once she's got an idea in her head. I want her to sometimes dig in and refuse to budge on something. I want AJ to behave like her character.

That happened in Apploosa's Most Wanted, Hearthbreakers, and The Mane Attraction. all from last season.
>>
>>27004316
>and the main conflict was the ticking clock of "maybe this storm is gonna be dangerous".

wew lad, it's a little girls show and you can't even comprehend it?
>>
>>27004829
No, I mean I don't give a shit if a snowstorm is going freeze Kiss Princess Friendship land because all they're doing is stretching to cover an hour slot and keep my kid occupied for that duration.

I mean the "ticking clock" of a snowstorm that shows no physical effects of harming the ponies yet and likely won't do so at all before the episode ends is super trivial and boring. And really, they were just counting down until the moment Sunburst got off his lazy ass and revealed information that a lot of ponies in the Crystal Empire should probably already know. Especially that spell about inhibiting baby magic. Every unicorn of child-rearing age should probably know that spell.
>>
>>27003160
It's actually airing in May but yeah they should have scheduled it for July instead.
>>
>>27002282
Dident we already have that in sweetie bells dream episode
>>
I have beter things to do than watch MLP if it gets shitty.
>>
>>27004495
I mean, they tried to emphasize the cannon's meaning to Pinkie by having her use it multiple times early on, so I would say the later sadness over losing it was an extension, although Pinkie's attachment to the cannon is arguable in the first place, but still, wouldn't call that a "brief arc", per se.
>>
>>27004495
I feel like you're writing off Pinkie trading away the cannon as "a brief arc" that was "a small fragment of the episode" a little too easily. It's easy to cherry-pick elements of the episode and convey it as a dry list of events without much trajectory, but I feel you're putting too much emphasis on the sequence events without really mentioning the characters within them. Sure, the story might be pretty linear, but I don't really find that to be too offensive with the right character moments.

Looking at The Gift of the Maud Pie, there's a significant piece of the episode in which Maud acted and spoke with perhaps the strongest (implicit) emotion we've ever seen in her character (save for the time in her debut episode where she saved Pinkie, but that's obviously a much more active thing). Even when she doesn't emote much, you can tell from her gestures that she's pissed with Pinkie for trading away a beloved item for her sake, because she realized then that Pinkie thought of their gift-giving as a competition rather than an act of genuine good will. And that's a pretty solid character moment for someone who doesn't appear to often in the show, if only because the animators did well in making it look nuanced.

On Pinkie's side, her role and conflict in the episode wasn't so much that she wanted to get Maud a rock pouch which ended when she made the trade; it was overcoming the impression that her gifts have to be better than the best gift she's ever gotten in order to be good, and that arc spanned over the majority of the episode. You can write that off as not being much of an arc if you wish, but I find it a pretty valuable realization for Pinkie's character, who always operates under the thought that every gift or celebration must be bigger and better than the last. Plus, we see her competitive nature from Pinkie Pride coming out again, only this time in a more subtle, yet personal context.
>>
>>27002414
But they already had that in sweetie bells Luna episode surely they would not do the same thing twice right

It would be like a new episode of fluttershy learning to be assertive almost every season
>>
>>27003161
It is a pretty shit pun
>>
>>27004130
Considering this I'm tempted to say a Trixie episode where her past comes in to play.

I'm going to go with flim and flam though or maybe suri.
>>
>>27007329
Fuck I'm retarded I forgot my picture and forgot about it
>>
>>27007293
That wasn't fully A Christmas Carol though, just some elements.

I'm expecting this episode to be a full adaption, with the various roles of Scrooge, the Spirits etc being filled by the Mane 6.
>>
>>27005714
," said Anon, echoing verbatim what he said three years ago.
>>
>>27003245
>>27001919
Have you fools not learned that episodes with boring/bad synopsis are good while episodes with awesome synopsis are bad.
>>
>>27001919
I was waiting for a season 5 trixie episode
>>
File: 26826.png (446 KB, 929x533) Image search: [Google]
26826.png
446 KB, 929x533
>>27001919
>This season feels like a G 3.5 in the writting side
im going to assume you havent seen gen 3.5, because if you had you would eat a bullet.

>What next? a tea party with pinkie?
weve had that. you filthy doompaul niggers dont even watch the show.
>>
File: 1459294763261.png (209 KB, 389x439) Image search: [Google]
1459294763261.png
209 KB, 389x439
Who's ready for some Twistarlight shipping fuel?
>>
>>27008439

Nah, trixie is a exclusive EQG character now
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.