[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many newfags writers have this season?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 17
How many newfags writers have this season?
>>
>>26968622
the better question is: how many seasoned writers are left?
>>
>>26968627
regardless of the number, it feels empty without Meghan or Larson.
>>
>>26968622
I think all the writers of this season are newshits. Exept for Polsky I think.
>>
>>26968622
>its a haber and his buddies got drunk and wrote the whole season season
>>
>>26968705
So far they've done it better than Meghan did.
>>
File: 5683658.gif (438 KB, 381x212) Image search: [Google]
5683658.gif
438 KB, 381x212
>>26968705
>>
>>26968746
fan fiction writers can do better than meghan at this point
>>
>>26968746
She was never that great.
>>
File: really.png (244 KB, 345x340) Image search: [Google]
really.png
244 KB, 345x340
>>26968752
>>26968774
>people make fun of meghan
>best writer behind larson
are these memes?
>>
File: where1.png (330 KB, 602x622) Image search: [Google]
where1.png
330 KB, 602x622
>>26968787
>>
>>26968787
Meghan could not write dialogue well.
>>
>>26968787
Fuck off fluttercord nigger.
>>
>>26968787
>>
>>26968787
>it's an eqgfag that praises meghan
not surprised in the least desu
>>
File: aJz11Wo.gif (967 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
aJz11Wo.gif
967 KB, 245x245
>>26968622
Meghan was the best writer.
>sol episodes were either dark or action packed (Party of One, Lesson Zero, Three's a Crowd)
>premieres and finales were more adventure driven or contain adult thmeed writing (killer plants in S04E01 or betrayal subplot in Twilight Kingdom)

I want these newfag writers to go away with their Telletubbies tier writing of Appleoosa Most wanted, Princess Spike or Where the Pinkie Pie knows.
I want their lackluster premieres about winter clouds and finales about Starlight with abandoning issues to be gone too.
>>
>>26968746
>>26968752
>>26968774
>>26968861
are you insane, she was literally the best along with Larson and surely better than Faust in writing. That's one of the biggest reasons she replaced her.
>>
>>26969699
Megan could only write le ebin funnay plots about ponies going crayzee and randumb xDd
>>
File: 1446910463619.jpg (5 KB, 190x153) Image search: [Google]
1446910463619.jpg
5 KB, 190x153
>>26969708
No, she was the only writer beside Larson that got moved the character beyond their comfort zone and explored them further than just their one dimensional archetype.

Twilight: Always right mary Sue --->Unstable nerd with perfection issues

Pinkie: Always cheerfull and positive --->creepy personality with mental paranoia

Discord: Generic one shot villain --->neutral spirit that stuggle between good and evil

This is all that you will miss and will never return. Instead, let's make 10 episodes about Maud talking to a pebble.
>>
>>26969699
Not him but Haber is pretty darn good at dialogue between characters. Was part of what made the Spike/Starlight/Sunburst part of the premiere so good.
>>
>>26969778
What Spike/Starlight dialogue? The ones where Spike just act as a plot device driving Starlight into Sunburst house instead of Twilight? Spike could have been replaced by anyone as his own personality was only used in the scene where he is being praised by crystal ponies.

Sognificant Spike development happened in Power Ponies and Inspiration Manifestation which were written by Meghan.
>>
>>26968627

Haber is literally the most seasoned writer left
all of the S1-2 writers have jumped ship
>>
File: 1314814209267.jpg (29 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1314814209267.jpg
29 KB, 400x388
I can't bring myself to watch the new episodes, I'm losing my interest, anons, is they're any good? Is there something still worth watching?
>>
>>26969699

She was good at standalone episodes but her attempts at arcs were just 'ohh there's this thing now'
Haber's at least trying something a little deeper with a straight out new main character. And it doesn't feel forced because glim's actually got a realistic backstory with losing a friend fucking her up good
The Cutie Re-mark and The Crystalling work really well as a 4-parter
>>
>>26969883

It depends what you like from the show
It's still comfy if you like smaller scale SOL conflicts instead of large happenings and action
>>
>>26969882
Polsky is still on board, I think. But he was always dettached from the fandom and maybe attended like one convention at most.
>>
>>26970061
>But he was always dettached from the fandom and maybe attended like one convention at most.

I consider this a good thing
The last thing the show needs is pandering
>>
>>26969883
Is something that you could expect from new, clueless writers running the show.

Some anons will enjoy their original take, but most will just cringe at their attempt at jokes, borny pandering or characters.
>>
>>26969883
Dumb frogposter
>>
>>26970073

Starlight Glimmer is the most realistic and relatable character in the show
>>
>>26969889
It isn't an arc. She just reformed like Discord. Starlight Glimmer is also just a Discord/Sunset Shimmer copy that was invented by McCarthy and continued by Haber. Josh doesn't have any original creative control over the series. He just do whatever Meghan, Vogel and Miller tell him to do.
>>
File: 0908080.jpg (70 KB, 570x576) Image search: [Google]
0908080.jpg
70 KB, 570x576
>>26970080
>I lost contact with the childhood frined
>literally like losing a contact with a friend after goign to college

>I WILL TURN 100% Devil tier evil, enslave pony population and destroy the world by time travel becasue i wasn't able to contact him nor find another frined

>realistic
>>
>>26970085

Reformation IS an arc, but the villain reformation is actually the least interesting part of her character
Losing touch with a close friend and having it fuck you up is hugely relatable, as was the awkward reunion. That and Amending Fences (which covers similar territory) are the most realistic (and at risk of sounding autistic, 'adult') friendship related scenarios the show has dealt with
>>
>>26969699
Considering Faust only wrote 3 episodes...
>>
>>26970099
I think the major thing was that Sunburst never wrote back or responded at all (unknown to Starlight, due to Sunburst feeling that begging for help due to how bad he was at magic in reality would make Starlight see him as weak.)
>>
>>26970104
Yeah, amending fences was more realistic, but Starlight story was purely autistic. This is a difference between Larson writing and Haber's wiritng.
>>
File: 1332529773001.jpg (14 KB, 246x278) Image search: [Google]
1332529773001.jpg
14 KB, 246x278
>>26969699
>being this retarded
>>
File: 1311947803699.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1311947803699.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
>>26970131
>she never met any filly or frined nor she had any parents that would still support her and turn into a good pony
>she became evil (she even admitted it literally) because the guy she didn't care to write or visit also didn't write or visited her

>she became evil because some prick and not because slowly learning bad habits and moral degeneracy thoruhgout her livehood

>then she switched magically into pure good character like Sunset after Twilight messed up her toys and retarded time travel spell

I still can't see how it is relatable to real life, m8. Amending fences was the actual realistic approach. Moon Dancer didn't became a villain and she didn't magically turn into a social shark after Twilight befriended her again. She's still the same.
>>
>>26970144
Kill self neo/mlp/ and leave this baord. Or maybe just stay, since this place is full of little shits like you.
>>
So whoever is in charge now, are they as biased/in love with Twilight as Meghan?
>>
>>26970178

Ignore the villain part, that's cartoon hyperbole

Imagine you have a best friend, but they get a girlfriend who they end up spending all their time with and they don't need you anymore
You're suddenly alone, lost contact with them because you don't see him anymore, he doesn't ever talk to you and you don't want to bother him because he's happy without you
That shit fucks you up good, you're left with a void where they used to be but don't bother finding anyone to replace it out of the fear that it'll just happen again
You end up spending every day shitposting on 4chan because it's the closest thing you get to human contact
>>
>>26970204
Too add on to this. It seems Sunburst didn't want to be found by anyone he knew even after magic school due to shame, so he moved to the most isolated pony friendly place he could find (Crystal Empire later when it popped up) and stayed there, the non-unicorn population helping to make him feel at least somewhat less useless.
>>
>>26969745
>never return

Once the movie's in post production she'll come back.
>>
>>26970191
Or Spike for that matter, she loved that guy.
>>
>>26970191

Haber will likely focus more on glimglam than twilight
I think Haber considers spike to be a buttmonkey character but after the autists sperged out and complained to jim during the last season they may be shifting to giving him more responsibilities
>>
>>26970204
Yeah but that didn't happen, its mostly your headcanon and "what could have been if writers were competent" wish fulfilling
>>
>>26970365
It's Jim who got Spike competent this time after fans bitched about it.. Haber woudn't care less.
>>
>>26970375

Substitute girlfriend for going to magic school, and 4chan for starting communism
then it's literally the same thing
>>
>>26970365
It would be more interesting to see what happens to the mane 6 as a whole. As a team. During the worst years the rule was that only Twilight or "special characters most closely related to Twilight" could be heroes during the most important episodes like finales. It became boring REALLY fast. Will we see some team action in this finale with characters we know can be just as (if not more) capable than Twilight to hold their own during a fight?

I mean personally I wouldn't mind another Gala episode but I believe that just this once other characters deserve some justice.
>>
>>26970385

The Crystalling did have everyone working as a team to stop the storm instead of it just being twilight who did everything. Might be a sign of haber's direction as showrunner, that he doesn't idolise twilight above all the others

Cutie Re-marks was mostly just twi/spike and gilmmer, however it was probably the most character oriented finale the show has had (as opposed to event based drama like tirek fucking shit up and twilight saves the day) - twilight still solved everything but her doing so wasn't the focus of the moment
>>
>>26970379
>let's replace jews with chads and genocide with 4chan then Hitler is literally me
>>
>>26970663

Are you familiar with the concept of a metaphor, or are you actually retarded
>>
File: 2568245.png (42 KB, 931x850) Image search: [Google]
2568245.png
42 KB, 931x850
>>26968912
>>26968928
fucking numbers, always screwing with memefags right? ^:)
>>
>>26970670
You can make a personal life experience metaphor out of every epsiode you dumbass. Just stop posting and leave your room.
>>
>>26970672
>Noelle made "Maud Pie" and never returned
kek
>>
>>26970672
I wish MLP was only run by McCarthy, Larson and Rogers. It would be creator story driven like Steven Universe instead being a one shot writers festival like Spongebob.
>>
>>26970703
>You can make a personal life experience metaphor out of every epsiode you dumbass

I fail to see how that invalidates the point
The argument was that you (or whoever it was that first initiated it) couldn't see how glimmer was relatable
I gave a real life situation that directly mirrors what happened to glimmer
and now your argument is 'every episode can be related to real life'?

Think this over
>>
>>26970743
But some are realistically more believable. We don't need to replace their entire universe, situations or objects and make mental gymnastics to fill out our headcanons and damage control the episode in the process. You can replace Discord with Judas and Fluttershy with Jesus but it doesn't make your metaphor relatable than more literal presentation of the characters in the episode.
>>
File: 1453676037127.jpg (987 KB, 1313x1335) Image search: [Google]
1453676037127.jpg
987 KB, 1313x1335
>>26970723
>I wish MLP was only run by McCarthy, Larson and Rogers
Yeah, it would be very interest-
>It would be creator story driven like Steven Universe
>muh epic action series
>SJW universe
>>
>>26970782

What I did was a simple substitution with absolutely no mental gymastics. Both were situations that resulted in losing contact with a close friend, and having it fuck you up. The means of losing them and the consequence were different, but the key part which is also the relatable part is losing touch with a friend.

If you don't understand how that's relatable then you have no hope
>>
>>26970785
>i hate good storyline because some fans messed up the fun for me
You probably hate Undertale and never even played it.
>>
>>26970672
That Williams at the end pleases me. I'm still mad.
>>
>>26970785
But SU has good standalone episodes that build into an over-arcing plot. MLP could use some direction other than "let's do things to sell more toys".
>>
>>26970865

MLP does not need to throw story arcs into slice of life episodes. Standalone, small-scale character based conflicts are good.
>>
>>26969812
I love sognificant things.
>>
>>26970847
Look where we are, do you really think this "you only hate the fandom" bullshit argument works here? One of the reasons why FiM stood out back in the day was because, unlike its previous incarnations, shit happened, conflicts existed, actual villains with motivations, characters losing and going through struggles instead of 10 episodes of "let's bake a delicious cake". The thing some people seem to forget though is that the slice of like is also important and its part of what makes FiM what it is, if it was an ongoing show with a solid plot it would quickly lose its charm, there is something special about the small conflicts related to each character that don't affect other episodes or are never brought up, it leaves space for new stories to be told which is a good thing, some of the best episodes of the show were slice of life ones that would never have existed if the show didn't had space for that, FiM would be shit if it was a "muh deepest lore" action show like SU or GF
>>
File: 1435627857212.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1435627857212.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>26970865
>>26970871
Why not both?
>>
>>26970892
>there is something special about the small conflicts related to each character that don't affect other episodes or are never brought up

More people need to realise this
I'd wager a bet that vast majority of the highly regarded episodes follow this structure
>>
>>26970871
>MLP does not need to throw story arcs into slice of life episodes
I didn't say that, did I? You can have standalone episodes as well as a story arc. They're not mutually exclusive. Hell Season 1 was basically that with the grand galloping gala.
>>
>>26970915

Having both undermines each other
When you make a SOL story but bog it down with continuity and story arcs it loses the small scale nature that fuels its appeal. One of the bigger flaws of S5 is half of the episodes needed to start with some expository dialog explaining how the map sent whichever ponies to what location. Compare that to the episode this week, which just starts with them at manehatten instead of wasting any time. It may seem like a small difference but it has a huge impact on the storytelling and overall tone
>>
>>26970892
>FiM would be shit if it was a "muh deepest lore" action show like SU or GF
No one is saying the show should be like GF or even SU in story. Consider season 1 with at least 5 episodes being explicitly about them getting ready for the Gala. That's a good example of something the show could use.
>>
>>26970940
Teen Titans got that right, actually, it did a different approach by having every episode being either about the Titans fighting some random villain (focus on action, maybe a subplot about their personal lifes) but it also had episodes about one of the titans struggling against an inner demon, the episodes barely connected to each other besides introducing new characters, as for the ongoing plots it did that towards the finale, 3-4 episodes in a row connecting to each other and focusing on a bigger plot that may or not have been adressed in previous episodes

So yeah, its possible
>>
>>26970964

The key is to keep the different story types separate instead of trying to merge them together
>>
>>26970953
Yes but ongoing plot would also influence their characters, slice of life allows them to tackle the same issue on multiple ways, a good example of this is how Fluttershy previously learned how to be assertive but them we had an episode about stage fright, if it was an ongoing plot she would have gotten past that already

another example was the last episode we saw yesterday, Ponka had already learned about the dangers of trading shit you value, the whole party cannon thing wouldn't have happened which wouldn't have allowed the lesson about "its good as long as its from the heart" to exist
>>
>>26970988
Not every show needs to have a single, big story per season, what made it work with TT was the fact that the bigger story was barely mentioned through the season, giving space for the slice of life to grow on its own, some people may say slice of life is pointless since its not gonna be adressed but its a great way to approach the audience to the characters by giving them the spotlight, there is also the issue related to characters learning a lesson in one ep but forgetting about it in another, this happens because sometimes the lesson affects a very important trait of their personalities, imagine if fluttershy remained assertive towards the show to this day? She would eventually lose her shyness and source of conflict, she would stop being an interesting character because there is nothing you can really do with her you can't do with the other mane 6
>>
Why do we have to copy American/Canadian children's cartoons in order to make it work?

There are some great examples of how to continue SOL and World building from children's anime and games.
>>
>>26971025

pony umaru when
>>
>>26971025
anon, the east copies us a lot too, and video games aren't exactly the best source of good writing either, i know there is this sudden hunger for different approaches and change but there is a difference between trying something different for the sake of variety and reinventing the wheel
>>
>>26971034
Nah not that, I am going to link to a post from another thread that kind of gives an idea of what could be done with more epic storylines.
>>26937382
>>
>>26971048

what kind of silly absurd scenario are you suggesting could work for pony?
>>
>>26971058
The Anon went and posted two episode concepts that I quite liked. It actually seemed to work even if it was pretty weird.

>>26936387
>>26949067

Still waiting on part 2 tho.
>>
>>26968787
>Every other one of her episodes was Twilight Sparkle: The Show
Yeah no thanks.
>>
>>26971048
Puyo Puyo suffers from a lack of substance in its plots and kind of fails to develop characters with depth beyond a local swimming pool.

I will say it has the cute girls doing cute things down pat. I don't think MLP should copy Puyo Puyo's direction, but take inspiration from it? Well, that's not a terrible idea.
>>
File: This.jpg (15 KB, 389x198) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
15 KB, 389x198
>>26971091
>>26971091
>>26971091
>>26971091
>>
File: d96.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
d96.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
>>26971091
>that fucking CMC episode
HNNNNNNNNG

Also why does Starlight have wings?
>>
>>26971091
Okay, as much as it totally seems out of place in MLP, that alien idea actually sounds like an amazing episode.
>>
File: 1327626233071[1].jpg (177 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1327626233071[1].jpg
177 KB, 800x450
>>26971091
that...certainly works.
>>
>>26968622
5 year contract is up, even some animators are getting replaced
>>
>>26971241
Why not renew? Is that why Jayson left?
>>
>>26971048
No one has ever suggested THAT direction for the series.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.