[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The birth of an alicorn is something Equestria has never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11
File: 1425323134531.jpg (55 KB, 448x453) Image search: [Google]
1425323134531.jpg
55 KB, 448x453
>The birth of an alicorn is something Equestria has never seen, it is beyond even our understanding.

where were you when gods fell from the sky?
>>
File: 247827.png (544 KB, 1046x661) Image search: [Google]
247827.png
544 KB, 1046x661
>>26901404
>where were you when gods fell from the sky?
watching the season 2 finale. you know, the perfect season with no flaws? the one that makes the entire series look like complete shit by comparison?

ya that one. ^:)
>>
>>26901404
>where were you when gods fell from the sky?

Well, if you're desperate, you could use the excuse that Luna and Celestia were born from primordial chaos or some other source, and not simply two ponies gettin' it on.
>>
File: Screenshot (412).png (771 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (412).png
771 KB, 1280x960
did anyone ever assume that they were born as unicorns though? even after twilights ascension the thought never crossed my mind. Teenage Cadence had the wings already, what the fuck did a teenage girl do that would turn her into the alicorn of love?
>>
>>26901506
i can only imagine it involved self sacrifice for someone she loved.
>>
File: 1561561561561.jpg (33 KB, 600x457) Image search: [Google]
1561561561561.jpg
33 KB, 600x457
>>26901404
>God

One day this meme will die. This is not that day.
>>
File: lunaXcelestia1.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lunaXcelestia1.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
do you think we'll ever get an episode telling how they got their wings?
>>
>>26901404
>The prophecy is almost complete
>This natural born alicorn could be the salvation or the end of Equestria
>>
>>26901404
For five fucking years I've been watching this show. For five goddamn years. Nothing they had done has ever made me actually salty. I didn't care for some stuff, but I never got actually upset about anything before this. I'm clutching onto "they're not from equestria, so they're more just confused about how one could be born here" as hard as I fucking can, even though it's kind of a semantic stretch.
>>
>>26901534
>god is a meme

What isn't memes these days? I'm memes, you memes, he she we memes, memeology, the study of memes. Memes are love, memes are life.
>>
>>26901730
YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE
IT WAS SAID THAT YOU WOULD DESTROY THE ANCIENT EVILS, NOT JOIN THEM
BRING HARMONY TO EQUESTRIA, NOT LEAVE IT IN CHAOS
>>
File: books.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
books.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>26901742
I'm more confused at the direction than salty. They never implied Luna and Celestia were anything other than purebred alicorns.

the library made me salty.
>>
>>26901742
>even though it's kind of a semantic stretch.
as was pointed out in every other discussion thread, equestria was founded by the earth, pegasi and unicorn races without alicorns. luna and celestia showed up later with star swirl the bearded to take over controlling the sun and moon.

so yes, theres never been an alicorn birth in equestria, and not even luna or celestia know their own origins.

im assuming thats the subject of the 2017 movie.
>>
File: IthlinnePosting.jpg (874 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
IthlinnePosting.jpg
874 KB, 1600x900
>>26901404
>>
>>26901534
>he doesn't have faith
>the same way he doesn't have any faith in himself
*tip*
>>
>>26901783
was Legends of Everfree confirmed as the next EqG title? and if the sisters are from somewhere else, are alicorns the norm there? why would they leave?

they could do an entire mini series of unanswered backstory and lore related plotholes at this point.
>>
>>26901792
Celestia and Luna aren't gods. It was never said they were.
>>
>>26901783
I hope you're right, fampai. Haber's trolley responses on twatter were not encouraging.
>>
>>26901806
they are thousand year old creatures that have control of fundamental forces of nature. they show never outright labels them as deities, but they have all the hallmarks of being gods.
>>
>>26901756
YOU WERE MY SISTER LUNA, I LOVED YOU
>>
>>26901422
Iunno, that scene was fucking bullshit but I still love chrysalis, and chrysalis had the good sense to be dumbfounded along side celestia at that outcome, attributing her victory to someone else's power than her own.
>>
>>26901825
They are not the only ones who can do it though. The are the only ones to experiance the least repercussion, why they are royalty is beyond me, but they are not gods. That's like saying that the Turritopsis doohmii is a god because it CAN live forever.
>>
>>26901404
GRANNY'S PEACH TEA
>>
File: 1453910645463.gif (305 KB, 350x200) Image search: [Google]
1453910645463.gif
305 KB, 350x200
>>26902212
>His smile and optimism, gone.
>>
THEORY: Some ancient cabal created alicorns to watch over Equestria when they determined there needed beings with more power than the average pony. Celestia Sundrop and Luna Shade stepped up to become the first of their kind, including the power to imbue others with the same ability.
>>
>>26901422
>MMDW
>>
>>26901825

You need to remember this is a fantasy setting, a more appropriate term for them would be wizard.
>>
>>26902388
And the supporting evidence?
>>
For fucks sake people, they said "Equestria" had never seen an alicorn birth before. Alicorns probably originally came from somewhere outside Equestria that is populated entirely by alicorns much like how the elves in Tolkien's Legendarium originally came to Middle Earth from a land known as Aman aka the "Undying Lands".
>>
>>26902448
D&D fag here, being a wizard doesnt make you any more long lived than the average member of your race.

Tolkien fag here, the Wizards might be called Wizards, but they are much more akin to gods than any mere magician.

these are the two great fantasy settings, so calling them wizards in the D&D vein greatly underscores their power, and calling them Wizards is essentially the same as calling them gods.
>>
>>26901825
>>26902504
Actually they sound much more like elves.
>>
>>26902458
My cutie mark (or that genral vicinity).
>>
Why is this a bad thing? This gives them an opportunity to write some pretty awesome shit on how Celestia and Luna became alicorns, when they were just normal pones
>>
>>26902516
they would if it wasnt now implied that every alicorn except flurry hearts was created in some magical transformation.
>>
>>26902538
but they wont. i 100% guarantee that they will never touch on the subject again.
>>
>>26902580
>keep this show on the air longer than any MLP installment to date
>get treated like dirt

Why do I stay?
>>
>>26902538
>Cadence is introduced
>Celestia just calls her a niece without ever explaining her ascension
>Twilight Ascends and seeks purpose
>None of the princesses talk about their alicornhood to offer experience or wisdom
>Flurry's born
>They have no idea what's going on

>Still thinking that something will come up, 6 seasons later
Just kill yourself already, anon.
>>
>>26902565
Actually that fits in well with what the Norse believed about elves. The Norse believed that certain heroic figures could Ascend to elfhood after death, such is the case with King Olaf Geirstad-Alf of Norway. That said there are probably two types of alicorns, natural born Alicorns like Celestia and Luna and ascended Alicorns like Cadence and Twilight. Since Flurry Heart is a natural-born alicorn she'll probably age more slowly like Celestia and Luna do.
>>
>Alicorn at birth
>Freakishly huge wings
Princess Cadence must have been completely wrecked during labor/childbirth.
>>
>>26902653
Except they said they didnt understand it. surely they would understand the circumstances of their own birth?

is there a list of episode titles out yet? i want to know the odds on them actually following through on any of this.
>>
>>26902686
>surely they would understand the circumstances of their own birth
i you were raised by foster parents as a unique species, would you understand your own birth?
>>
File: 1428917289587.jpg (666 KB, 2497x2261) Image search: [Google]
1428917289587.jpg
666 KB, 2497x2261
>>26902697
which would imply them being orphans. we know too little to even speculate properly. bullshit line in a bullshit episode.
>>
>>26902653
>Flurry Heart ages more slowly than her mother.
Dear God, that sounds heartbreaking. Just imagine, Cadence will be a wrinkly old mare by the time her daughter becomes a teenager in Alicorn years.
>>
>>26901404
I wasn't born yet because they were born before equestria was founded, so we don't know that they fell from the sky, or were born that way after all, and just don't remember. The latter is what i think.
>>
File: popcorn.gif (197 KB, 293x199) Image search: [Google]
popcorn.gif
197 KB, 293x199
>>26902716
its like you didnt even read the journal of the two sisters.

for a lorefag, youre sure woefully uninformed.
>>
>>26902754
implying anything other than the show is canon, i dont read the comics and nothing short of actual crossover confirmation that they are canon will make me.
>>
>>26901404
>Celestia/Luna were from a time before Equestria's founding
the only thing that statement indicates is that an alicorn has never been born in the time Equestria has existed.
>>
>>26902776
its not a comic friend, its a book of lore written by amy keating rogers. the entire point of it was lore.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Pony-Chronicles-Princesses-Friendship/dp/0316282243
>>
>>26902776
some non show stuff has no issue with being canon, but the movies can fuck off.
>>
Am I the only one that noticed that the literal statement spoken doesn't contradict any previously established canon?
>>
>>26902993
See >>26902498
>>
>>26901459
Or that Equestria was founded after they were born, and they were the last alicorns or whatever, so they've never had to deal with a newborn one.

>>26901506
All books, staff comments, everything up to now said that the sisters were alicorns from the start. This is largely why people are reacting as they are.

>>26902197
>>26902448
>>26902516
Nymphs (dryads, etc), kami, and other spirits of myth are considered minor deities, too. If they're an intrinsic part of nature, with functions like bringing in the seasons or making the sun move, they're usually labelled as gods.

MLP is richly based in mythology, so while you'll never hear them called as such in the show, it would be disingenuous to claim they aren't gods.
>>
>>26903135

So pegasi are gods too?
>>
Amazing how many people who think Celestia and Luna were born in Equestria after it came into being. Especially when people supposedly read the Journal of the Two Sisters.

They were raised by a bunch of alicorns and are implied to be alicorns from birth, because it talks about their slow aging.
>>
>>26902498
So what do you think the show writers will end up calling this Alicorn country or realm if it exists? Considering how hard DHX is trying to maintain a TV-Y rating, it will probably be something like the Un-Smashed-to-Pieces Lands or the Un-Demolished Lands.
>>
>>26903141
On the very minor level, yeah. As are unicorns and earth ponies (Running of the Leaves etc).
>>
>>26903170
Considering that the alicorn realm was one of the plot points of the leaked movie script, they're saving it for the movie. Of course that could have been rewritten in large parts and probably actually has. But the basic idea will probably be covered.
>>
Why would the Equestrians of the past allow Celestia and Luna to rule over them? strange folk from a distant land not even the same race as themselves.
>>
>>26903360
Something about Celestia/Luna embodying all three races while still being detached from either.
>>
>>26903181
So you're saying that everyone and everything is a form of god?
>>
>>26903393
Magic connects all the pony races.
>>
>>26903360
Quoting from the Journal of the Two Sisters:

"Starswirl and his representatives...told us all about the previous struggles between the pegasi, unicorns, and Earth ponies. Since the tribes came to a peaceful understanding and established Equestria, they wanted rulers to help uphold that peace, which is why they came to us. They knew that alicorns stood for everything Equestria was founded upon: love, harmony, and friendship. And because alicorns are a combination of pegasi, unicorns, and Earth ponies, they believed that we could represent the citizens of Equestria in an unbiased manner- all ponies being equal in our eyes." - Celestia
>>
>>26903404
Then why bother call them gods? Why not just call them what they already are. Alicorns, dragons, gryphons, and minotaurs.
>>
>>26903442
This.
They are just on the brink of being an extinct race.
>>
>>26903393
No, that's silly. Ponies are gods because nature doesn't happen without them.

If the concept were older, ancient peoples would've prayed to ponies for things like a short winter, a late autumn, or a good harvest, just like they built shrines for nymphs, kami, and other minor deities.
>>
>>26903360
According to the Journal of the Two Sisters, Starswirl chose them because they possessed the qualities of all three tribes and therefore would not favor one over the other. Basically it's like if someone chose a group of people that were a mix of every ethnic group on Earth to be the leaders of all of humanity.

Also they explained that in the book that Equestria isn't actually a single nation ruled by the princesses but rather it is set up more like the British Commonwealth with each member of said Commonwealth being an individual Kingdom with a certain degree of autonomy. That's why there are always delegates coming to see the princesses, so they can discuss the various issues concerning their particular territory.
>>
>>26903470
>Humans are gods.
Glad to wake up this morning to see this.
>>
>>26903506
Apparently they are if we go by Halo.
>>
>>26903442
Because classical dragons, griffons, and minotaurs are just fantastical beasts. So were unicorns, actually, but classical unicorns didn't have the same functions as those in MLP; they were just rare animals who favoured pure maidens.

People pray to things as gods because they have an intrinsic, irremovable power over the forces of nature. The seasons don't happen without ponies (except Everfree because that place is weird).

>>26903506
Obviously, ancient peoples didn't have the same understanding that we do of nature and science. You don't see a lot of animism these days. But it still persists in some forms, like the Shinto shrines dotting a now mostly-secularised Japan.

Back then, deities controlled nature on a basic level, and they were just a part of reality that you entreated as a matter of course.
>>
>>26903506
Well we sort of are in the eyes of domesticated animals (with the exception of cats). However the situation could be reversed if we ever encountered an alien civilization millenia more advanced than we are. After all, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic to those who don't understand it." Likewise any sufficiently advanced alien would be indistinguishable from a god.
>>
>>26903442
Then go back to my theory that alicorns are an artificial race bred to guard the most powerful magic of Equestria. It hurts less.
>>
>>26903596
That's only in equestria though. They couldn't control the wilds of the everfree because it still holds it's power from when Discord still reigned. Even in the new episode it showed that they couldn't control the freezing nature of the north by themselves. If anything their 'device' did it for them. They are more like humans who just built the Hover Dam.
>>
>>26903683
Genius loci are still considered gods, though. Being bound to a geographic location doesn't mean a lot.
>>
>>26903683
>Hover Dam
What good is a dam that hovers? The water would leak through the space underneath it!
>>
>>26903725
That is if the water wasn't allowed to touch the ground.
>>
The Sisters have always been and shall always be. -Solar 3:16
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.