[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come the 3rd episode of Season 1 of this show always manages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 18
How come the 3rd episode of Season 1 of this show always manages to piss me the fuck off?

Applejack had perfectly legitimate reasons for wanting to go to the gala. She wanted to promote her business and help her family.

After she explains why she wanted to go, we see Rainbow Dash come in with completely selfish fucking reasons of showing off and joining the Wonderbolts which probably would have stroked her already large ego some more.

Pinkie Pie's reasons are too childish and naive so that's somewhat passable, I guess.

Fluttershy's reason are the same, but couldn't she have gone to the Canterlot gardens some other time? I'm sure her girl Twilight could arrange something for her since she's in with Celestia.

Rarity's reason are still pretty selfish, but they don't encourage her to be an overall cunt much like Raindow Dash's reasonings.

So what we have left here are 2 selfish ponies and 2 nieve childish ponies and 1 pony who just wanted to help her family and farm.

Seriously, what the fuck?
>>
Fuck, Applejack was also the first to sense that this was tough for Twilight and even sacrificed her chance to go. Rainbow Vag didn't do that.
>>
Twilight was a spergy shutin who didn't understand social interaction and probably didn't know that Dash and Rarity were being cunts.
>>
>>26855052
Projecting much?
>>
>>26854961
I would argue that Rainbow Dash and Rarity's reasons to go are the second most important, because they both involve their life goals/dreams.

But OP, you're able to look at the dilemma from the viewpoint of an adult. As an adult you feel inclined to side with Applejack because she needs the money to support her family, a value that comes with maturity. Kids, however, simply see the situation as Twilight struggling because all of her friends want to go and she doesn't have enough tickets. The conflict called for having all of Twilight's friends want to go. Applejack would most likely have no burning reason to go to some stuck-up, frou-frou occasion like the Grand Galloping Gala, so they gave her one in the form of seeing an opportunity to earn money. It just so happened that the reason they came up with seemed like the most important reason to us.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 448x328) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 448x328
>>26854961
You seem ticket off!
That wasn't the best pun, I have to admit.
>>
>>26854961
I know she already had a ticket but twilights reason always seemed the stupidest to me.
She could have easily made time with celestia just by asking.
>>
AT THE GALA~
>>
File: going somewhere.gif (1 MB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
going somewhere.gif
1 MB, 576x324
>>26855126
>admit
ur a cheeki boi Carlos
>>
>>26855075
They were being cunts, anon.
>>
File: Applejew.png (132 KB, 269x329) Image search: [Google]
Applejew.png
132 KB, 269x329
>>26854961

Rainbow Dash wants to meet her idols in person and possibly further her career as a stunt flyer Applejack just wants to make some shekels.

If anything Top Cunt had the best reason for wanting to go.
>>
File: 1427560900689.png (533 KB, 634x651) Image search: [Google]
1427560900689.png
533 KB, 634x651
>>26854961
>She wanted to promote her business and help her family.
She wanted to sell her apples at a completely unrelated function. Go to a concert and see much they enjoy you randomly setting up a stand to sell shoes or something. If she wanted to go to promote her business, then she should have gone through the normal channels, maybe supplied directly to the catering of the Gala.
But no, she wanted to walk right in and set up a damn stand without asking anyone in charge. She's lucky she didn't get fined.

I have to agree with >>26855087 that Rarara and RD had extremely valid reasons to go. They knew this was their way in to work on their life dreams'. Although, despite her shitty reasons to go, I still felt almost proud of Fluttershy in that episode, for asking for the ticket. She knew her reasons were shit, she needed some prompting, but it always felt to me like a big deal that she'd put herself out there to ask for the ticket, instead of going home and crying about it, like most of us would.
>>
>>26854961
In hindsight, none of them had a more important reason than the other because they all ended up having a crummy gala. Applejack barely earned anything, and it wasn't like she was in dire need of the money. None them were in dire need to go, actually, despite Rainbow Dash and Rarity both claiming this was their "one chance" at their dreams. So, from that perspective I can see why you'd call them cunts.
>>
>>26855131
I also think pinkie was the one with the most reason to be there she was the only one that came close to treating the gala in the manner in which it was intended in the end it turned out to be not her mind of fun but I'm sure she was able to gain some insight into planing parties for a difrent crowd.
>>
>>26855166
Oh shit I missed that
>>26855126
Well played Carlos well played
>>
>>26855205
I, too, thought that was rather brave of Fluttershy. One of those moments where Angel tries to make her happier, too.
Although I thought it was rather uncharacteristic of her to be angrily arguing and yelling at Twilight like the others were doing.
>>
>>26855087
I do wonder what sort of discussions the target audience had on the subject I'm sure they would have argued about it just as much as we do they just would have given up on the arguments after a few weeks.
>>
File: Fluttershy Eating a Squirrel.jpg (119 KB, 1440x812) Image search: [Google]
Fluttershy Eating a Squirrel.jpg
119 KB, 1440x812
>>26855205
>>26855251

I'd hardly say Fluttershy's dream of tormenting and possibly eating Celestia's critters was noble.
>>
>>26855087
So what lesson did this episode teach to the younger viewers?
>>
>>26855131
Didn't Celestia even said all Twilight had to do was ask at the end of the episode?
>>
>>26855197
So you'd would forgo your chance at making money and giving your grandmother a new hip?
>>
>>26855205
Big talk from someone with zero business experience.
>>
File: Trump Pony Portal.png (229 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Trump Pony Portal.png
229 KB, 640x360
>>26855371

>Big talk from someone with zero business experience.

Is that you Donald?
>>
>>26855395
You seem perturbed.
>>
>>26854961
Wasn't the food there meant to be free? Sounds like she was trying to jew some ponies out of free eats.
>>
>>26855453
not only that, she didn't have a permit to operate there. She was lucky they didn't throw her in prison.
>>
Honestly the episode makes no sense. When Twilight saw she had two tickets and the rest of the Elements of Harmony didn't...she should have written Celestia right away, before things snowballed with her friends all giving their reasons to go...

'Dear Princess Celestia, I'm sure you didn't mean to exclude the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, who just recently defeated Nightmare Moon and saved you, from the Grand Galoping Gala. Please send tickets for the 5 of them and an extra ticket each so they have have a 'plus one' accompany them. They are heroes and there's no reason for them not to have tickets of their own.'
>>
File: 1392346396941.jpg (41 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
1392346396941.jpg
41 KB, 300x100
>>26855356
>>26855371
>>26855437
Haven't seen a /biz/realite in a while.
>>
>>26855356
>>26855371
>>26855437
tripfag pls go
>>26855395
trumpfag pls go
>>
>>26855333
Well, Mr. Dubtrips, let's see:

"Dear Princess Celestia,
I've learned that one of the joys of friendship is sharing your blessings. But when there's not enough blessings to go around, having more than your friends can make you feel pretty awful. So, though I appreciate the invitation, I will be returning both tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala."

Hmm. It doesn't seem so much to be a lesson that offers a guiding principle as it is a demonstration about being in a situation where you want to share what you have with all your friends but can't because there's not enough. Basically, it's saying that it's normal if you feel bad about not being able to share with all your friends. Not that you SHOULD feel bad about having more, just that it's normal to feel bad, and it can be hard to decide, if you decide, about who to share with.

A lesson could be taken from Twilight's friends:

Applejack: Twilight, sugar, I didn't mean to put so much pressure on you, and if it helps, I don't want the ticket anymore. You can give it to somepony else. I won't feel bad, I promise.
Fluttershy: Me too. I feel just awful that I made you feel so awful.
Pinkie Pie: And me too. It's no fun upsetting your friends.
Rarity: Twilight, it was unfair of me to try to force you as I did.
Applejack: We all got so gung-ho about going to the gala that we couldn't see how un-gung-ho we were making you.

The lesson here is, don't take advantage of your friendship with the fortunate friend and pit them against your other friends to get what they have. It makes him/her uncomfortable having to choose when you apply the pressure of "I'll love you if you give me some, you're not my friend if you don't."

And later:

"If my friends can't all go, I don't wanna go either... It's okay, girls. I couldn't possibly enjoy myself without my best friends there with me, so I would rather not go at all."

This offers a possible solution to the dilemma. It also foreshadows the lesson of The Best Night Ever.
>>
I like the headcannon that Celestia meant for Twilight to go with a date.
>>
>>26855493
The friendship is new and tender, and Twilight's just begun learning the ins and outs, ups and downs of it. Plus she wouldn't dare try to waive that 'Elements of Harmony' title over her mentor's head.
>>
>>26855453
>>26855464
> Jew
Nice buzzword, please return to your containment board.
>>>/pol/
>>
>>26855513
See >>26855437
>>
File: tfw rage.jpg (119 KB, 668x1370) Image search: [Google]
tfw rage.jpg
119 KB, 668x1370
>be me
>be on high school
>be 10/10 on this specific subject (technical drawing)
>I'm the only one who finish the exams on time and I'm the only one who gets a 10/10 mark. In every exam. Every single time.
>everyone becomes my friend and start asking me for my works. I even have to scan them and share them online because I can't give them to everyone
>they want me to explain to them how to do stuff, I do
>exam passes. I get 10/10 again and the rest gets meh marks, but most of them pass too
>they all forget about me until a few weeks before the next exam

I always felt identified with this episode, that's why I like it..
>>
>>26855623
Why were you wanting to help your friends cheat, Anon?
>>
>>26855586
Calling somebody a Jew on 4chan generally has no real anti-Semitic meaning behind it it just means being a greedy fuck

Allow me to trigger you further you faggot
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>26855645
How does this imaginary lingo help you with becoming employed in reality?
>>
>>26855640
It wasn't cheating, it was just explaining to them drawing in axonometric perspective and stuff like that worked.
>>
>>26855657
It doesent my marketable traits do.
>>
File: 1449015117234.png (114 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1449015117234.png
114 KB, 900x900
>>26855657
>>26855586
WEW this is some top tier bait.
>>
>>26855706
It truely is some really good bait
>>
>>26854961
And to imagine Celestia never gave a single care over the motives of anyone that episode. She was just testing out her soon to be official party crashers because she knew how impulsive and immature they were, including Twilight.

I miss sunbutt's toying with her subjects.
>>
>>26854961
>Rainbow Dash come in with completely selfish fucking reasons of showing off and joining the Wonderbolts
cut her a little slack. It's her lifelong dream
>>
File: 1458778220805.png (236 KB, 1024x895) Image search: [Google]
1458778220805.png
236 KB, 1024x895
>>26854961
Applejack is retarded for reasons outlined in a FlimFlamPhilosophy video, no chance of making money at a fancy event like a Gala while selling fucking carnival fare.
>inb4 20/20 hindsight

Rarity had an impractical reason
Rainbow had an alright reason, but she is a cunt
Pinky had a good reason considering her job and what not. Maybe a bit frivolous... meh
FlutterMyButter had an alright reason
>>
>>26854961
On the other hoof, I think AJ is the selfish pony of all cause she didn't want to go to the gala to enjoy it. Other ponies wanted to go to have fun of the gala it self
>>
File: checked.jpg (228 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
checked.jpg
228 KB, 1280x720
>>26855522
Anon replies to dubtrips with tripdubs. What is this sorcery?
>>
>>26855706
Not him, but from my perspective, Nazi posts are bait. But then again, my great grandpa barely escaped being holocausted, so while some of the Jew jokes are funny, the more overt antisemitism is usually deeply perturbing.
>>
>>26855801
>pinkie had a good reason because of her job

Didn't she want to go because it was a party?

And then demonstrate that she apparently only likes a certain kind of party?

Unrelated: Holy fuck, this is the most fun I've had talking about the show since the third season started. I guess the early seasons really were better, it's not just the hype dying down.
>>
File: 1418598463817.png (227 KB, 470x345) Image search: [Google]
1418598463817.png
227 KB, 470x345
>>26855836
>On the other hoof
Stop this
>>
>>26857076
Hey everypony, this silly filly has a problem with ponies saying pony things.

Eeeyup. Don't Ya know partner, talking like the show will make you 20% cooler.
>>
>>26855522
It also foreshadows the most hypocritical lesson in best night ever. Why didn't they stood together at the gala?
>>
>>26854961

First, that episode exists for the sole purpose of introducing the motivations of all the main characters. It exists to provide filling and nuance to the archetypes introduced in the pilot. The plot was never going to be anything better than the most stereotypical, recycled friendship dilemma, right down to the cliche of the choice turning out to be unnecessary and everyone getting what they want.

Second, there is no reason why helping others is an inherently better motivation. Consider some ordinary farm repairs that the Apples didn't really need and wouldn't have made anyone's life better by much, and weigh that against Rarity or Rainbow's life dream. Applejack wasn't even going to enjoy the event like Pinkie or Fluttershy.
>>
http://pastebin.com/cK1PRf6P
http://pastebin.com/tuq2GgFN
http://pastebin.com/MaRk62Bx
http://pastebin.com/vst99hRx

I want you to take this review and understand it, then rape it.
>>
>>26854961
They were all pretty shit goals and reasons. Nothing noble and 3 dimensional about it.
>>
>>26857100
You know I never auctualy had a problem with 20% cooler. Brohoof was stupid and love and tolerate is at least a fun way to trigger the lol you watch ponys fags shitposters.
>>
>>26855836
>on the other hoof

Even the fucking ponies themselves don't say this shit, man.
>>
>>26857306
I think I did here it once auctualy.
And I am even more sure I have heard spike say on the other claw

Not that that makes anon any less of a gigantic fucking faggot
>>
>>26857424
*hear it once
>>
File: 1429137352627.png (29 KB, 320x288) Image search: [Google]
1429137352627.png
29 KB, 320x288
>>26855623
Shit, this reminds of way back when.
>several years ago, back in high school
>not entirely great at drawing, but better than class average
>high school project divides class into groups of 5-6
>since I'm the "group artist", I get to draw everything, glue it to a huge piece of cardboard, and submit it
>all on my own
>so much for group projects
If I wasn't such a gullible softie then, I'd have gone full savage and told the teacher to not give them any points for the life-sized cardboard skeleton I made.
>>
I think the obvious thing to do was for Twilight to take the two tickets she was given and go with spike. She never had an "extra" ticket at all. Celestia wanted to see her student and Spike again after having them move away, and Twilight asking to bring the very friends that made her want to leave was really rude to Celestia.
>>
>>26855205
>Go to a concert and see much they enjoy you randomly setting up a stand to sell shoes or something.
Have you never been to a concert?
They sell all kinds of overpriced shit at them
>>
>>26856799
Ov vey my grandpa was gasses by the Nazis protecting my grandma when he was only 5 years old you anti-semite

Remember the 6 Trillion
>>
>>26854961
Dash's reason was just bad writing the women made a God dam sonic rainbooms she should be fucking famous in flying circles the wonderbolts would know exactly who she is and have a constant eye on her.
>>
>>26855437
>>26855597
what what a original name
the name of a person who made a shitty movie
>>
File: 1390844368609.png (148 KB, 352x365) Image search: [Google]
1390844368609.png
148 KB, 352x365
Not related to this episode per se, but since it was the setup for finale, I'm guessing posting in this thread is better than creating a new one.
It was probably discussed a hundred times already, but I noticed that when the push came to shove, earth ponies tried to change their strategies to appease everyone (Pinkie working on a different-but-not-really kind of party, Applejack abandoned her stand and made a cake), pegasi tried to cheat (Dash kept putting everyone in danger so she could show off how she can save them, Fluttershy tried to force animals into close contact with her through traps and intimidation), and unicorns just kept on keeping on (both Rarity and Twilight were hanging around their targets all night up until everything broke down). Two examples obviously aren't enough for a statistical analysis, but I thought it was kind of interesting nevertheless.
>>
>>26858809
You may be on to something there
>>
>>26859147
What?

Earth Ponies try to be everyone's friend, as they did in the Equestria founding myth, tried to compromise and cooperate with the other races?

Pegasi try to force their way, by any means necessary, as they did in the founding myth.

and Unicorns are self-centered, focused, conformists, who try to get their way by subterfuge, simple persistance, or act superior to try and get others to conform to them,as they tried in the myth.

This is consistent behavior. of the races.

>RD is just brash.
>Fluttershy is more passive aggressive, or tried to stare people down.

>Twilight tries to use knowledge to get everyone to agree with her, and when she became a princess she kinda became a combo of the 3, resulting in some unpredictable behavior on occassion.
>Rarity just tries to conform to the upper class or the most popular ones.

>Applejack is the voice of reason usually, trying to make a compromise and get others to agree.
>Pinkie obsessively tries to get people to be happy and not fight.
>>
>>26854961
Lauren Faust isn't a good writer.

Case closed.
>>
>>26859928
>Written by: Amy Keating Rogers & Lauren Faust
>>
>>26859505
Yeah, but why?
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.