[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The Crystal Empire >Empire >Barely the size of a village
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 18
>The Crystal Empire
>Empire
>Barely the size of a village
>>
>>26413737
>every space of an empire should be covered in buildings
you are a moron and you should feel bad
>>
>>26413743
So what are the rest of the Crystal Empire domains?
>>
File: 1396770777551.png (420 KB, 600x1007) Image search: [Google]
1396770777551.png
420 KB, 600x1007
The scale of Equestria is miniscule to say the least. Canterlot, the fucking capital city, is tiny as shit and probably has a population of a couple hundred at absolute best, Ponyville too. Others, like Appleloosa and Dodge Junction are in the dozens, with Manehattan being the only one that could realistically break a thousand or two, which by our standards is still a bumfuck nowhere village. The ENTIRE pony population might not even be in the millions.
>>
File: image.jpg (254 KB, 800x506) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
254 KB, 800x506
>>26413737
>largest city in the western world
Wooooow
>>
File: France Year 1500.jpg (73 KB, 728x588) Image search: [Google]
France Year 1500.jpg
73 KB, 728x588
>>26413799
>>
>>26413792

I dont think so
By our standars Canterlot as a capital should be full of rich ponies and a lot of nig ponies that tried to invade the place
But I think Canterlot is a more exclusive city, like Dubai
Manehattan is a business place, like NY (here you can meet nig ponies)
And ponyville is youe classic town in the middle of nothin like Our Town
>>
>>26413772
Ice and snow. Like Russia.
>>
>>26413841

Yeah, the green surroundings in OP's pic are just temporal due to Sombra's defeat
Soon all the place will be flooded with snow
>>
>>26413852
or you know, "seasons"
>>
>>26413882
>Seasons
>>
>>26413737
Sombra will make Crystal Empire great again.
>>
File: 1455115388118.png (909 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455115388118.png
909 KB, 1280x720
>>26413799
>citing a medieval map as a comparison for a literal representation of a city in the OP.
pic related, there are ~628 buildings in the Crystal Empire.
Each of those shapes in your picture are blocks. Not buildings, city blocks.
There were thousands and thousands of buildings in 1500s Paris. A population of 200,000.
On top of that, not all of the buildings in the Crystal Empire are residential. We have no reason to believe that those are huge apartment buildings housing dozens of ponies. Everything we know about them points to them being single houses for single families. There is absolutely no way that the Crystal Empire has a population of more than 5,000.

End of story, ponies have incredibly small populations. Deal with it and move on.
>>
>He actually counted the number of buildings

Impressive
>>
>>26414103
>>26414008
>>
Bamp.

>>26414008
Good job.

Couldn't the empire be spread out over a larger area? I mean, that's just the central city, an empire could include outlying areas.
>>
File: derpi_297712.png (161 KB, 550x600) Image search: [Google]
derpi_297712.png
161 KB, 550x600
>>26413841
>the only populated place in Russia is Moscow
Face it. The Crystal Empire is Constantinople and Cadence conquered it, doing everything short of renaming it Istanbul. It stopped being great when Sombra was killed off.
>>
File: derpi_277825.jpg (173 KB, 1000x650) Image search: [Google]
derpi_277825.jpg
173 KB, 1000x650
>>26414008
>ponies have incredibly small populations
Or the show animators couldn't be assed to draw a city of faceless background characters to scale. Stop being sperglords.
>>
>>26416161
Shut up, take your stupid logic somewhere else
>>
>>26416161
This
>>
>>26416199
Yeah, the idea that perhaps an visual artistic representation of a fictional city in a children's cartoon owned by Hasbro just might not be drawn to meticulous scale sure is stupid.
>>
File: 654656.jpg (29 KB, 639x480) Image search: [Google]
654656.jpg
29 KB, 639x480
>>26416161
>>26416199
>>26416216
>>26416229
Are you for real?
I cannot believe that you would bother jumping through these hoops for /this/.
When a city exists in a fictional universe, whose entire canon is held within visual canon, visuals matter.
This isn't an "artistic representation of a city", this is an establishing shot from the show itself.

Here's how you make that argument without looking like a gaggle of chucklefucks:
"While this is the way it is represented in the show, the actual size would be too costly to animate. You can see that's it's not the actual size because in (canon source x), it's said to be y miles in diameter with a population of z."

OH WAIT!
You don't have an x.
Spoiler alert: The burden of proof is on you to show that this image of the Crystal Empire isn't the canon. Until you find something that says that, your illusions of scale are the headcanon.
In case you forgot, the OP image is a screengrab from the show - automatically making it more reliable than the baseless assumption that "the animators were too lazy to show what they really meant."
>>
File: derpi_537743.png (220 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
derpi_537743.png
220 KB, 720x405
>>26416369
Just because we don't have a spreadsheet about Equestria's precise population statistics doesn't mean we should make authoritative claims about them based on hastily put-together screenshots that don't show anything important to the narrative.
>>
>>26416413
Again, the burden of proof is on you to show that these screenshots are not representative of the universe.
>>
>>26416418
Telling me to prove a negative, are you? Not very logical of you. I thought aspies were supposed to be good at logic.
>>
>>26416425
I'm not asking you to prove a negative, I'm asking you to disprove something we already have evidence for.
>>
Give me a break you freak-zoid! There is no way your gonna prove everypony in the world also here that more places like Crystal Palace is bigger than anything else, maybe next you'll understand that Ponyville will be bigger anytime soon, fat pal.
>>
File: derpi_983172.png (32 KB, 322x195) Image search: [Google]
derpi_983172.png
32 KB, 322x195
>>26416462
>something we already have evidence for
You must be really easy fodder for con artists.
>>
>>26416475
I honestly do not comprehend how a screenshot from the canon isn't evidence, are you especially stupid or is your whole family like that?
>>
File: 1417201902201.jpg (145 KB, 800x560) Image search: [Google]
1417201902201.jpg
145 KB, 800x560
>>26413737
>>26414008
>Implying most of the Empire isn't still buried in the snow and this is all that's left

>>26416161
there's also this.

Have any of you played fucking videogames set in cities (that's not an RTS or city builder type game) or looked at the official maps drawn of most neighborhoods for other cartoons? (South Park and Simpsons are probably one of the few fictional cities that actually look functional)

Actually, here's a short list of functional looking towns and cities I've seen in fiction:
>Springfield (simpsons)
>South Park (southpark)
>Solomon Island (The Secret World)

The latter eks by barely, and Solomon Island is expressly established as being a New England version of some noname bayou town, interesting history be damned.
>>
>>26416468
>Give me a break you freak-zoid! There is no way your gonna prove everypony in the world also here that more places like Crystal Palace is bigger than anything else, maybe next you'll understand that Ponyville will be bigger anytime soon, fat pal.

English isn't your first language.
>>
I DO SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!!!
>>
>>26416497
Seeing as you are autistic, let me give you an example you could relate to.

Sonichu, the brain-child of fellow autist Christian Weston Chandler, is drawn with widely differing anatomical proportions in every panel he's drawn into. Does that mean Sonichu is a shape-shifter who changes his body constantly for no good reason? According to your logic, it does, but the real reason is that Chris-Chan has limited capabilities as an artist. The same principle goes for the Crystal Empire or any other city in this cartoon where things like population and demographics hardly mean anything.
>>
>>26416507
This is a fictional universe based in magic. Almost nothing is logically functional. Deciding to apply that here just to assume that the cities are bigger than they have been shown is stupid.

Are you also going to start assuming that there is some realistic basis for telekinesis, hidden from the viewer? Because that's illogical as fuck.

>>26416554
They didn't have to show this shot, though. They /chose/. They /chose/ to show us what the city looked like, and they /chose/ to say that what we were shown was acceptable. They were physically limited by anything, they decided that this is the way they wanted the empire to look.
>>
>>26416599
>They /chose/ to show us what the city looked like, and they /chose/ to say that what we were shown was acceptable.
That's because it's generally accepted that people aren't dumb enough to think it's valid evidence on which to base assumptions about the city's demographics based on their artistic representation of that city. Just because they chose to show us the general idea of what the city looks like doesn't mean they believed it to be a precisely scaled representation of what it would actually be.
>>
(mocking) Look at me, I'm a storyteller, to explain what this (acting normAl) LOSER IS MAKING ME TAIR MY HAIR OFF!
>>
>>26416675
>Just because they chose to show us the general idea of what the city looks like doesn't mean they believed it to be a precisely scaled representation of what it would actually be.
This is what I'm talking about, you don't know that that's what they meant. Like, how do you know that this isn't supposed to be to scale?
>>
I HOPE YOUR WRONG OF WHAT I SAID SOME AGO!
>>
>>26416694
We can assume it's not to scale based on a few narrative reasons, e.g. the Crystal Empire under Sombra was a legitimate threat to Equestria (which, for a city-state, would imply a pretty large population). We can also assume it's not to scale because these things are usually not to scale, since that would require far too many resources for something that is just not important to the story. Really, you're the one making more baseless assumptions by saying they did draw it to scale than we are by saying it isn't.
>>
>>26416599
Okay, let me ask you this:

Have you every played Skyrim?

Do you remember how Whiterun and Solitude were supposed to be the biggest cities in the province but weren't much bigger than any of the others and had a population that couldn't break the double digits?

Does this necessarily mean Skyrim's total population (counting purely on non-immediately hostile NPCs) is less than a few thousand?

Or could it just be Bethesda couldn't or wouldn't be bothered to render Skyrim (or it's cities or populations) as larger than what we see?

Same thing here.

The artists were on a schedule, the style of the show doesn't allow for the most detailed background work, and not only that, but I doubta single artist at DHX knows shit about city design that doesn't come from playing an MMO.

So crunch time came and they couldn't convey the Crystal Empire as nearly so glorious as the name would have implied.
>>
>>26416749
>Or could it just be Bethesda couldn't or wouldn't be bothered to render Skyrim (or it's cities or populations) as larger than what we see?
Not only would it be a whole lot of work, but also engine limitations wouldn't allow that to happen without the game crashing on anything that isn't a 41st millenium super-computer. Given that this show is Flash-animated, a meticulously scaled Crystal Empire might also cause issues with hardware.
>>
>>26416741
Unless all the other cities are drawn to scale as well, most being just as small as the Crystal Empire.

>>26416749
Sure, in Skyrim there is canonical reason to believe that those places are bigger than they are shown to be. There is nothing in the canon to show that that was the case with the CE.
>>
>>26416784
But don't lots of games have generic citizens going around? I really don't think it would be difficult at all seeing how it's been done a bunch of times before. Bethesda is unfortunately well known for being lazy.
>>
>>26413833
Here's a good comparison for Ponyville:
Staunton, Virginia.
It's about the same distance as the capital city nearby (in Staunton's case, Washington DC), it's about the same size, and it seems like it would be the exact same type of area, that being an absolute middle-o'-nowhere.
>>
>>26416787
>Unless all the other cities are drawn to scale as well, most being just as small as the Crystal Empire.
Even if all cities are equal in population, more cities means more population overall, which means the Crystal Empire is still far weaker than Equestria. I'm sorry, but you haven't thought this through very well.
>>
>>26416822
>having a smaller fighting force immediately means that a country wouldn't be able to sustain a war
lolk, good history.
>>
File: derpi_369086.png (183 KB, 2500x2123) Image search: [Google]
derpi_369086.png
183 KB, 2500x2123
>>26416848
Because brainwashed slaves are so good at defending an unfortified city against an attacking force that's much larger and likely better equipped. Just... stop. Your posts are starting to get cringeworthy.
>>
>>26416874
So now the shot accurately represents the city?
kk
>>
>>26416933
There's a difference between "isn't shown to scale" and "isn't shown at all". Just FYI.
>>
>>26416950
Like the thousands of houses that aren't shown and the wall that would undoubtedly be necessary for a logically consistent city?
>>
File: derpi_61003.png (205 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
derpi_61003.png
205 KB, 1000x1000
>>26416968
Like the intelligence you haven't shown and the brain that would undoubtedly be necessary for you to be taken seriously by anyone. Given all the dumb things you've said throughout this whole thing, I'm pretty confident in claiming victory here.
>>
>>26416784
Not just engine limitations, but the limits of people's computers as well (though you covered that)
>>26416800
Yes, and to a degree, no.

Once more, it's a matter of engine and computer limitations. There is a mod out there that adds more people to various cities, more city to each city, and more cities to the game period.

It's the formermost that can cause slow downs on even high-end PCs. Not to mention, it can make Skyrim's in-game size of 22 square miles feel over-populated.

There is a last caveat about why not make a game where you can explore a fantasy world where a 'small province' alone is realistically scaled: it would be boring as fuck.

Let me paint this image for you: you come across a farming community, but instead of those garden-sized farmers you're used to seeing in videogames, you instead spend the next ten minutes just running from one end of a single field on a 4 plot farm to get to the farm house.

And then they ask you to help tend to animals on a ranch nearby, which is twice the size of the farm because the ranch needs to let its animals run.

And then try to imagine a community made of these farms and ranches, spread out over a large area.

What you'd be looking at would be a map the size of half of Skyrim JUST DEDICATED TO FARMS.

And then think how much bigger the rest of the map would have to be.
>>
>>26416968
You do you, dude.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.