[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone else noticed how paradoxical the CMC's special
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 896852.png (729 KB, 1532x766) Image search: [Google]
896852.png
729 KB, 1532x766
Has anyone else noticed how paradoxical the CMC's special talents are? Let's think about special talents in general, then theirs specifically.

Each pony has a special talent, symbolized by an image on his flank, called a cutie mark. This mark appears regardless of any active effort on his part to gain it, as it is entirely independent of his own will. Cutie marks, like all events and happenings in the universe, are determined by Destiny, or Fate.

The CMC's special talents all involve helping others in their efforts to gain their cutie marks. However, since cutie marks appear independent of the efforts of its owner, such a talent that involves assistance in such efforts is null.

Now, I don't expect the writers to give the faintest of shits about things like consistency or common sense since idiots will eat it up anyway, but I do think they could've handled it better.
>>
>>26080525
You answered your own question. it was destiny.
It was pretty much the lesson we learned in call of the cutie all over again.
>>
>>26080578
But will the show ever address the paradoxical nature of the CMC's cutie marks by showing us their inevitable existential crisis upon learning that the highest forces of the universe gave them an utterly useless talent?
>>
>>26080613
No.
>>
>>26080645
I didn't think so.
>>
>>26080613
Are you trying to say it's a paradox because they rely on helping others and therefore must have others around in order for their cutie marks to matter?

Because with that argument cutie marks for growing food or the like would be a similar paradox because it would rely on food and other plants to be around, and for what purpose would they be growing these plants?
>>
>>26080687
>Are you trying to say it's a paradox because they rely on helping others and therefore must have others around in order for their cutie marks to matter?
No. I'm saying it's a paradox because it involves doing something that's impossible according to the constants of the universe.
>>
>>26080687
Oh I see,you were talking about how they get them regardless of their own efforts, but you're forgetting the episode with troubleshoes and DT. They don't just help ponies find their own cutie marks, they help them understand them.
>>
>>26080755
>they help them understand them
Not paradoxical, but still pretty worthless. The CMC's are glorified palm readers. Hooray for them I guess?
>>
>>26080525
ponies have their own noosphere
>>
>>26080788
>palm readers
More like counselors.
>>
>>26081638
/thread

The Cutie Mark Counselors
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 986x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 986x1000
>>26081674
Then again, if they end up like that, it's going to be a tedious mix of 'change your ways' and pic related.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.