[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one manage to fail so utterly spectacularly at writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
File: ps.png (296 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
ps.png
296 KB, 960x540
How does one manage to fail so utterly spectacularly at writing an episode like Princess Spike? It's so fucking bad that I cannot believe it even got off the ground concept wise and when it was written it took a nearly impossible to pull off concept and made it a million times worse. The idea that Big Jim Miller was just sort of apathetic to the episode and unfortunately that it couldn't be changed was good, but I'm not sure if I trust him saying that they'll try better later.

To date it and What About Discord? are the only episodes I've never rewatched in full. Because holy shit, even Merriwether Williams wasn't this bad. To put it in perspective, Neal Dusedau and Nick Confalone came from the same show that Meghan McCarthy worked on, Fish Hooks. And yet, Nick wrote two decent episodes that in comparison to Dusedau's stuff are Larson-tier.

I genuinely don't know if I will force myself to watch any Dusedau episodes in S6. The guy just cannot write and he's a total fucking baby about criticism.
>>
>>25984695
I thought it was fine, what was so wrong with it?
>>
>>25984695
I didn't even finish princess spike. I stopped watching it halfway through. Terrible episode.
Speaking of episode opinions, did that chart of episode ratings based on all those anons votes ever get completed?
>>
File: sniper spike.webm (2 MB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
sniper spike.webm
2 MB, 610x343
I dunno, it gave us this.
Plus the sneeze fetish people loved it.
>>
>>25984718
Yes, and Princess Spike was at the very bottom.

>>25984710
At its very core, it makes no sense that ponies suddenly want Twilight to do anything or don't respect Spike himself. It's just all contrived bullshit where everyone is acting like a child and you're supposed to hate the character that's trying his best. The shit he did that was selfish had literally no goddamned impact on the ending but we're supposed to hate him.

And the ending moral and "joke" can seriously go fuck itself, all these characters that were dicks suddenly acted like they did nothing wrong and ended on another unfunny joke that didn't even fucking make sense.
>>
>>25984695
>How does one manage to fail so utterly spectacularly at writing an episode like Princess Spike?

Jim Miller was more worried about getting his friends' cameos in rather than about the episode's quality.

Which makes it the more delicious to see how the cameos he worked so hard to pass through Hasbro's approval ended up being part of the most hated and repulsed episode ever.
>>
>>25984748
Where on earth do you get the idea that we're supposed to hate him?

How the fuck do you think it makes no sense that ponies want to be in Twilight's good favour?
>>
>>25984748
Could I get that chart from you if you have it anon?
>>
>>25984770
Did you not watch the episode? We're supposed to see Spike as this terrible friend taking advantage of another friend's status and causing trouble because of it. But it makes no sense because he has his own status, the world is set up against him so that the "taking advantage" doesn't even matter, and Twilight was previously shown as not even being a pony that regular ponies (Manehattanites especially) cared about. And yet they can do nothing without her now?

>>25984756
Nah, supposedly that happened later. Still, the fact that the episode was so violently disliked did piss off IDW staff a bit because they finally got in and people hated the episode.
>>
>>25984833
He's just a kid you moron, he's not maliciously taking advantage, he just has things get out of hand
>>
>>25984695
Welcome to the Post-Faust era, anon.

Things will never become good or confy again as the crew has no fucking idea of what they are doing and they couldn't csare less about it.
>>
>>25984957
you are such a fucking faggot
>>
>>25984932
The world was conspiring to fuck him just for being him.
>>
>>25984957
>Things will never become good or confy again
Good way to judge an entire season by one episode. For your info episodes like Rarity Investigates, Amending Fences and Made in Manehattan were "comfy" as fuck. As a whole S5 was fucking excellent.

But I bet you're just one of those shitposters who don't even watch the show but talk shit about it anyway.
>>
>>25984984
Found the hasdrone
>>
>>25984984
But he's right, brony
>>
>>25985014
>>25985027
2012 called, it's welcoming you to fuck off instead of sitting on the pot
>>
>>25984993
For YOUR information, the fact that a fucking psychopath like Glimmer were added to the main cast just like that while Discord and Luna had to fucking EARN their redemption talls me everything I need to know about the crew and the future of the series.

Now go back to twitter to suck more staff dick.
>>
>>25985047
Luna was literally welcomed back the second she said sorry, was standing next to Princess Celestia at the celebration, etc. Your lord and savior Faust didn't even want her on the show after that.
>>
>>25985038
>Being this much of a shit-eating shill
>>
>>25985038
Butthurt Hasdrone

hey, has anyone from DHX and IDW ever rewarded your valian whiteknighting efforts yet?

No?

Well, what a productive life you have, PAL!
>>
>>25985071
>I'll just hang around a place for over 3 years to talk about how much I hate something now

go

fuck

off
>>
>>25985062
> What is Luna Eclipsed.

DYEWTS?
>>
>>25985047
Dude, everyone gets redeemed in one episode, and then usually brought back in other episodes to explore more about their character (Luna Eclipsed, Make New Friends But Keep Discord)

I have no doubt they'll do the same with Glimmer. Unlike IDW, the show staff have shown they're capable of not fucking shit up to an unnecessary degree.

Anyway, Princess Spike was an outlier, a bad mark on an otherwise fucking great, enjoyable season, unless you're one of those autists that got triggered by Slice of Life.
>>
>>25985106
Motherfucker do you think you are tough shit or something? Posting this spam shit from behind your fucking keyboard? Wow. You are one classy motherfucker. It's times like this I wish we had fucking mods fucking watching this fucking shit for spamming bullshit like you keep fucking doing. Fucking nigger ass crybaby fucking spamming a thread. What the fuck is your problem? Wow. I fucking wish I could reach through the internet and fucking rip the connection of your computer for trying to pull shit like this in a fucking thread. Wait, no, I changed my mind. I want to fucking meditate until I earn some fucking teleportation powers and then I'd fucking port right into your shitty basement fucking room right behind you without making a sound and then I'd tap you right on the fucking cheeto-stained shoulder while you're laughing your fat dumb fucking ass off as you hit submit submit submit over and over with your stupid then and then clock you one right in the fucking jaw and knock you to the fucking floor for being so stupid. And guess what? I brought a fucking sledgehammer and I rock the ever loving piss out of your 7 year old piece of shit computer that you can't afford to fucking upgrade. I'll fucking laugh as I toss the remains out the fucking window and then I'll break both your fucking knees for good measure, you useless piece of shit. Then I port away and drink some fucking vodka laughing about how your dumb ass is banned, broken, bleeding, and down once computer. You shit. You fucking piece of shit.
>>
>>25985107
>I'll just hang around a place for over 3 years to protect the staff from the haters! FOR FREE!
>>
>>25985047
>Luna
>earning her redemption
what the fuck m8, all she did was getting blasted with rainbows and cry on Celestia's shoulder. Starlight's redemption was miles above that even though it was lacking, it was even based on actual reasoning with her instead of just magical rainbows.
>>
File: derpi_865981.png (437 KB, 1005x983) Image search: [Google]
derpi_865981.png
437 KB, 1005x983
>>25985107
>I'll just assume everyone who talks shit about my beautiful show is an autistic Faustfag who doesn't watch the show
>There's just no way this show has any flaws!
Shill harder, maybe the staff or a horse famous faggot will reward you someday
>>
File: 347cgnr.png (62 KB, 188x157) Image search: [Google]
347cgnr.png
62 KB, 188x157
>>25985130
>>
>>25985125
Do you?
>>
>Thread about Spike episode turns into random shit

Princess Spike was so bad that Dusedau deserves an award for it being so terrible.
>>
>>25985193
> damage control
>>
>>25984695
I still think Princess Spike actually set up two potentially nice resolutions with decent lessons that Neal could have chosen from, but somehow dismissed both to force a resolution and lesson that does not follow from the episode and has been done before. It's like Neal started really great, but then forgot what he wanted to do and wrote the ending 5 minutes before the deadline.
>>
>>25985209
Check the unique posters counter. It's just a lone faggot derailing the thread to protect the staff from criticism and all that delusional shill crap.

They really believe they are working for the greater good, so better leave them live the dream, is all what they have anyway.
>>
>>25985130
>I have no counter-argument of any sort, so I'll just post an ebin copypasta
Go back to Reddit
>>
>>25985215
>buzzword
>>
>>25985245
> I have no counter-argument of any sort, so I'll just claim buzzword

You are so sad.
>>
>>25985236
Honestly I think you're giving Neal too much credit. I doubt he even watched an episode before he wrote this.

Even the ending is bad. Like, the ending cut to black joke makes no sense when you realize that the statue can just be put back together easily in matter of seconds anyway. So it's mean spirited, pointless, AND not funny.
>>
File: sleep tight twilie.png (209 KB, 771x742) Image search: [Google]
sleep tight twilie.png
209 KB, 771x742
>>25984695
At least Princess Spike gave us this.
>>
>>25985270
Neither did you, senpai
>>
>>25985297
I have no counter-argument of any sort, so I'll just use animu words

Want a shovel so you could dig yourself deeper and faster?
>>
>>25985323
>Animu words
>Being this new
Lurk moar
>>
>>25985238
It seems like two faggots to me.
>>
>>25985323
>animu words
>doesn't into auto-filters
Isn't tomorrow a school day?
>>
>>25985276
That's what I mean. The ending is horrible, but the episode that precedes it actually would have supported at least two alternate endings that would have been nice to Spike but still have good lessons:
– Spike prevents workers from working and tries solving the delegates' problems to keep Twilight asleep, but as in the episode things go haywire, he and the other princesses wake up Twilight and fix all the mess together, lesson being that Spike did correctly fulfill the assignment and can't be blamed, but should have diverged from it and risked Twilight's sleep for the good of the event (i.e. let the workers work even if it could wake Twilight)
– Spike lets workers work at risk of waking Twi (she doesn't) and tries to solve the delegates' problems, which works in some cases because he does know Twilight pretty well. Spike gets congratulated for reacting well by Cadance, but everyone else still doesn't care about him because they thought Twi did it (This one might be lacking some conflict though).
>>
>>25984957
/thread
>>
>>25985472
I think the episode was just set up to make Spike look like the bad guy.
>>
>>25984833
>Nah, supposedly that happened later. Still, the fact that the episode was so violently disliked did piss off IDW staff a bit because they finally got in and people hated the episode.
I haven't finished watching season 5, but you got anything that I can read up on that shows IDW being pissed? Not trying to bait or troll or whatever the hip cool thing these days is, just looking for information.
>>
>>25984957
its been the post faust era since season 2, and only 2 of the episodes of season 5 were "bad." get the fuck over it.
>>
>>25988226
It was less that and more just chuckling like "Man, can't please these fans, am I right?" and joking around that "If you don't like it you can answer to PRINCESS ANDY" or some random jokes.

They underestimated how much people disliked the episode and then got annoyed and tried to pal it up with Jim like "Apparently every episode has to be perfect, huh?" despite the episode having numerous flaws that were calmly explained later.

Big Jim handled it pretty okay all things considered.
>>
>>25988322
Ah, so it was just another case of writer-can't-criticism-because-everything-he-does-is-perfect. Sounds about right.
>>
>>25988477
Surprisingly the actual writer of the episode hasn't said much about it. Big Jim seemed to pretty much apologize for it, though.

No, the ones that were dicks were the IDW staff who were basically trying to get Big Jim to brush off criticism and not listen to anything people had to say. Thankfully he was more willing to listen than the people at IDW.

Big Jim came up with a "rough idea" for the episode but its execution and shittiness really is all on Dusedau.
>>
File: i want to improve as a writer.png (610 KB, 1072x643) Image search: [Google]
i want to improve as a writer.png
610 KB, 1072x643
>>25988477
>>
>>25985179
He wasnt saying to not criticize it, he's saying if the show actively makes you unhappy, like it seems to do for half the boards population, then don't watch it or come here.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.