[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Names of Pone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: twi-puke.jpg (210 KB, 733x733) Image search: [Google]
twi-puke.jpg
210 KB, 733x733
So, is the name of a pony their full name, unified or divided in two, a first name, or what?

For example, Pinkie Pie, is her first name Pinkie and last name Pie? Or is it a nickname?

>inb4 this has been discussed before
>>
>>25908625
What?

It's been said in the show - Pinkamina Diane Pie.
First. Middle. Last. Fuck.
>>
>>25908655
It was an example.

Try Apple Bloom, what about that?

Pinkie Pie was a bad example, I apologize for that.
>>
>>25908688
Considering the naming scheme of ponies it's safe to say that the necessity of a first or last name is not the same as ours. On forms single names would probably be classified as first, like Applejack.
But when their talking to each other they probably just say "name" without needing to distinguish first and last.
As in Applejack is not missing a last name
nor does she only have a first name.
>>
>>25908655
so what about Shining Armor and Twilight Sparkle? wouldn't they both be Sparkle/Armor if that was the case? really it seems like the Pies are the exception and not the rule.
>>
what about Rarity?
>>
>>25910842
Belle
>>
What about Fluttershy? It's all one word
>>
>>25910891
like Applejack, I guess.
>>
Ponies do not have family names. They all have independent names from which to recognize eachother.

Any deviation is a mistake or a pure coincidence.
>>
>>25908625
I remember both Pinkie and Twilight being called Ms. Pie and Ms. Sparkle at least once. Maybe it's like a Russian kind of thing with surnames, depending on gender. Frankly names barely seem to make sense in Equestria. Starting of with the ancient old question how parents know what their kids talents will be, giving a name fitting their cutie marks/talents.
>>
File: 1445096680085.gif (591 KB, 233x209) Image search: [Google]
1445096680085.gif
591 KB, 233x209
>>25908625
I remember in one thread like this where an anon thought about it as if the names were more or less crude translations of their language, as if it was a foreign one that like many languages, contain words or phrases that don't directly translate to english thus have to be shortened or explained to reach the meaning.

He also pointed out that there are differences in traditional name styles between Unicorns, Pegasi, and Earth Ponies. Unicorns having pure, long, fully describing names. Twilight Sparkle is a rough translation of something that means "The Light that Shines in the Stars of Twilight", "The Light that Shines" is the family name, but when roughly translated, it's condensed to "Sparkle of Twilight", or even simpler, "Twilight Sparkle."

Pegasi tend to mix adjectives and verbs for simpler names describing their attributes. Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy being very obvious names describing their personalities and appearance in as few words as needed

Lastly, Earth Ponies tend to hold the loosest terms on names, but many have the villager standard of basing their names off of their profession or upon tradition. The Apples and Cakes are givens, but the Pies being a special exception, as they keep a definitive surname held by their family for generations over their distinguished professions, instead granting first names describing them. They also would tend to twist the words used with slang or other means for personal tastes. "Apple" turns to "Applejack" or "Applebloom", "Pink" turns to "Pinkamena", etc.

Of course, expecting this entire system to have been purposely constructed by the show staff just to explain the names of little colored toy horses is absolutely ludicrous, even for them... R-Right?
>>
>>25910842
Rarity Marshmallow
>>
File: watbloom.png (170 KB, 454x430) Image search: [Google]
watbloom.png
170 KB, 454x430
>>25908688
Apple "Seed" Bloom
Her original name was supposed to be Appleseed, but it was changed later.
>>
File: om nom nom.gif (172 KB, 800x658) Image search: [Google]
om nom nom.gif
172 KB, 800x658
>>25912821
This
>>
>>25912810
I'd also like to add that in the case for Earth Ponies, their improper use of language makes accurate translation difficult or impossible in some cases.

In the case of the Pie family in particular, traditional twists of the language or dialect changes creates an error in translation. "Pie" could mean "Sweet Pastry" but it also could mean "Bed of Minerals [That is Flat and Round]", or something else entirely. Thusly I hold the headcanon that "Pinkamena Diane" is a severe twist of the word "Pink Diamond" and "Maud" is the closest that the translation could get with a phrase that describes her as "Gray, Strong, Cloaked." As Maud was a term to describe the gray paid cloaks of Scottish shepherds and some warriors.
>>
File: 1444495882617.png (1 MB, 849x1461) Image search: [Google]
1444495882617.png
1 MB, 849x1461
>>25908625
Why structure or system of ponies names should be exactly the same as ours?
There is no reason to assume what definitions of "first", "second" or "middle" names exist in Equestria: usually, a name not represents ones attachment to family, but just how they should be called. Sometimes it is, but rarely, so it looks like exception, not a rule.
>>
>>25912938
Well yeah, but sometimes F/M/L names do occur, as in the case of Pinkie Pie, or even the Cake family.

The show is not always consistent, I guess.
>>
File: 1448246126290.png (368 KB, 706x1643) Image search: [Google]
1448246126290.png
368 KB, 706x1643
>>25912966
> sometimes F/M/L names do occur, as in the case of Pinkie Pie, or even the Cake family.

Yes, I mentioned that: "Sometimes it is, but rarely, so it looks like exception, not a rule"

>The show is not always consistent, I guess.

I don't think it's a matter of consistency of the show, but consistency of customs in Equestria - some families decide to include name of their family in a personal name, while others don't.
Existence of specific part, what represents a family, in specific pony's name just doesn't seem that important to most in Equestria.
>>
>>25908625
Sure names are a pretty recent invention though in most countries. Early on people didn't have a surname. It was mostly necessary as the population grew.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.