[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FiM Fiction Thread: Now with 39% more fallacies!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
ITT: MLP:FiM fanfictions, on-topic discussions, off-topic discussions, the mechanics of teleportation (again), underground underwater volcanoes in space, pandering to the FiMFiction crowd, taking hallucinogens until you vividly see an evil version of yourself and have them edit your stories, Voiceguy gets drunk enough to read The Chase, incompetent secret agencies, your special talent doesn't pay the bills, the solar system in Equestria, >2016 >writing anthro, amount of followers measure your worth as a writer, implied foalcon, the War on Hearth's Warming Eve, music, and new rules.

Tired of the same old 'Human goes to Equestria to fuck his herd of underage waifus' formula? Burnt out after reading that Fallout crossover? Well, we've compiled the best of the worst in order to bring you our absolute average!

Introducing, the FiM-Fiction Starter Kit (list of winners):
http://i.imgur.com/vuTA7EN.png

List of nominees by category:
http://mlp-fanfics.herokuapp.com/

>Need a somewhat average writing prompt?:
http://autismwhinnies.tumblr.com/

>how do I write fanfiction?
http://eznguide.neocities.org/

>Riffs & Reviews:
http://pastebin.com/u/notkickass222urmom

>Voiceguy's readings:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt68MpmvEketmqOdHncHI2w

>Prompt of the Week: Black stallions stealing white mares

Do you want critique on your story? Post it on Google Docs with inline comments enabled.

Old thread:
>>
Old thread: >>25750437
>>
Vanilla Scootaloo get
>>
>reading the comments of that last rules clarification post
>some retard posts "I follow a lot of people, am I in trouble? I don't see what's wrong with that?"
>he follows like 20 people
FimFiction's comments are truly baffling, in a way. I know that it's going to be bad, yet there's always someone who manages to be stupid enough to surprise me.
Maybe I should just stop reading them altogether.
>>
>>25834482
>Maybe I should just stop reading them altogether.
And miss out on the hilarity that is other people's ignorance? Why would you do such a thing?
>>
>>25834482
I prefer the ones about how it's morally wrong for Knighty to ban people who piss him off.
>>
>>25834641
I guess you're right. Right now I'm skimming through fluttercheer's glorious fucking meltdown. I'm not actually going to bother reading the multiple wall of texts he has spewed out over his hours-long intense triggering, but I've been reading parts of it. It seems they're discussing ethics at this point, which hopefully is as hilarious as it sounds.

>Morals are something objective that stand above everything. There are no different views of morals, there are people who understand morals and those who don't, it's just that some people are literally too stupid to understand what is morally wrong and what not. Which unfortunately happens more often than not, cause humanity is a inherently stupid species beyond salvation.
It's like watching a moral realist with reduced brain function having a seizure.

>You disgust me. Please, do me a favor and never talk to me ever again, not about anything.
inb4 fluttercheer kills himself because he got so mad over a FimFiction rules clarification.

>>25834722
It's great.
>>
>>There is a user, on any given site, that the admin of this site does absolutely despise. So much that he has urges to ban him, even though the user has done nothing wrong actually. But the admin doesn't do that, because he thinks: "I'm not in a position to ban a user from here and to take away the whole site's access just because I don't like him, because even though I'm the admin, I'm just one user here and I shouldn't be the one who makes this decision, especially not based on my personal feelings. He's following the rules and he's not harassing users so he can stay."

>Boy, have I had that thought before.

It's time like these that make me like the mods.
>>
>>25834750
>There are no different views of morals, there are people who understand morals and those who don't, it's just that some people are literally too stupid to understand what is morally wrong and what not.
Wow holy shit. I'm actually kind of disappointed I missed this when I skipped over all the shitty philosophy debates. This guy has taken "stop liking what I don't like" to a whole new level.
>>
>>25834956
But Anon, didn't you know that strongly worded messages and uncalled for anger over absolutely nothing is how all great moral realists argue? He's just following a proud tradition of great minds, their philosophical legacy manifested in FimFic's comment section, which is absolutely a worth and reasonable place for such dignified shitflinging.
>>
>Titanium Dragon is a snobby elitist on a high horse who licks up the saliva of every authoritarian person he meets and who thinks that everyone who hasn't power is a worthless piece of shit. Taking him serious should be declared a crime, because there is nothing serious or even just worthy in such an elitist's opinion.
>This is why the users make up a site, not the staff. In the same way as the people make up the nation, not the government. This is a fact and no matter how you try to argue around it, this is not going to change.
>it doesn't and this is why democracy, while being a bit better than an oppressive regime, isn't any less flawed than a dictatorship.
>The mods and admins here work for the users, not the users for them. In the same way as politicians work for the people in their country, not the people for them.
fluttercheer is the Sovereign Citizen of FimFiction.

Also, he both argues that:
>The mods shouldn't have power, the "people" should.
>Democracy is "no less flawed" than dictatorship.
So I assume, that by saying that the "people" should have the power, he's really just saying that "I SHOULD HAVE THE POWER". Fucking great.

>How is it valid when I got, years ago, banned by a mod, who clearly violated the rules himself, because I called him out and reminded him on it that the rules are there for everyone? And how did I "threaten his power" there? And what power did I threaten there even?
inb4 he starts talking about PTSD. He's really, unironically "triggered".
>>
>>25835158
I wonder what would happen if you threw him and FallacyAnon in a room and told them to have a debate.
>>
>>25835356
Very angry sex.
>>
After 3 years of not reading fanfiction, I've suddenly developed an itch. Any good adventure fics? Something lighter not too dark/edgy. It can still be serious, just not a shitty gorefest. I also have a pretty big aversion to OC main characters but can get over it if the fic/character is good enough.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
>>
So /fimfic/, after working on my fic for several months now, I was thinking that I'd write several sequels to it, each one contributing its own worldbuilding and lore to the Alternate Universe that my current project takes place in.

Trigger warning: blogging about the details of my fic The current fic details Starlight Glimmer's rise to power and prominence (i.e. giving her an entire empire instead of just a tiny insignificant town in the middle of nowhere). Now, this is well and good on its own, but having warmed up to all the different AU's in the Season 5 finale, I feel it can go even farther. That being, all the big bads (except the omnicidal Tirek because that wouldn't work) ruling different parts of the world and fighting amongst each other for global domination. A bit in the spirit of Warhammer Fantasy except the shades of grey are closer to black. What are your thoughts on this?
>>
>>25835541
>What are your thoughts on this?
That it doesn't interest me much, and that it seems like the wrong setting for such a fic.
>>
>>25835420

A few adventure fics I liked.

>It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door

A lot of Tolkien touches, but not actually a LOTR crossover. It features half the mane six traveling outside Equestria for two weeks to save Twilight. If you don't want dark/edgy, you should probably skip the sequel, but the first one is great, full of travel-discovering and punctuated with action.

>Mendacity

Changelings as unseelie-style fey, which mostly focuses on Bon Bon and some OCs. Amazing worldbuilding.

>The Age of Wings And Steel

The author described this as an attempt to put every "bad" trope into an adventure story, but make it work. Surprisingly, a lot of it does. Think "Codex Alera," if Jim Butcher had been dared to write about Equestrian history instead of Roman legions and Pokemon.

>The Last Human: Tales of the Pre-Classical Era

If you hate humans, I guess this is a no-go, but it's not your usual HIE shit. It's a Last Unicorn homage, about a young man who's lived in the decaying ruins of an empty town as long as he can remember, and how he goes in search of other humans for fear that he's, well, the last. That was a terrible description, but just go read the first few paragraphs, see if the writing can't sell you better than I can.
>>
File: vuTA7EN.png (66 KB, 567x912) Image search: [Google]
vuTA7EN.png
66 KB, 567x912
>>25835420
>3 years of not reading fanfiction
Hooooly shit. Yeah you should be able to find some good stuff in that span of time. Here's some off the top of my head:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/73404/through-the-well-of-pirene
Technically an HiE (main characters are human), but it avoids all the main HiE issues by having everyone be too busy saving the world to fuck around with all that cultural exchange bullshit.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/67362/hard-reset
Twilight gets stuck in a time loop where changelings invade Canterlot over and over again. This is definitely the darkest fic on the list, but it's still a tolerable level of dark for me at least. Be aware the sequels are pretty bad.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/141549/the-celestia-code
Bookhorse and sidekick run around the desert looking for ruins or whatever. I liked it a lot, some people ITT really hated it though for some reason. Book 2 in the series is wildly different (excessive Twiluna shipping; I didn't like it nearly as much) and I haven't read Book 3 yet.

Also, there's a sequel to Dangerous Business now. I haven't read it but my impression is it's relatively good but rather dark.

Pic related is the "starter kit/list of winners" from the OP, which has some good adventure fics as voted by anons from this thread.
>>
>>25835649
You're probably right about this being the wrong setting, but just for the sake of practice and experiment, I may as well give it the old college try. It has been fairly well-received for the very few views it got given its canon-betraying content.
>>
>>25835541
Reminds me a little of the "Fallen World" AU (as in "The Archer and the Smith" etc). There, Equestria has been divided up between the evil M5 (The Tempest, The Tyrant, The Sorceress, The Druid, and The Madmare, if I'm remembering right). too bad the author is kill by college and stopped updating the current FW fic and Harmony Theory both

>>25835695
>Mendacity
Can't believe I forgot this, it was damn good.

>The Age of Wings And Steel
Also good, I think it was around pre-2013 though, so you (>>25835420) might have seen it already. (Maybe unlikely, given there are literally two people ITT who have ever read the thing.) Be aware, it IS a warfic, and the war is not going well for most of the story, so it can be kind of grim at times. Never quite 2edgy4me, though.
>>
>>25835722
Yeah, I can get doing it for the sake of actually writing something, I know all about that, but it doesn't really give me as the reader any incentive to read it.
And I'm sure FimFiction eats it up, and it's fine that you get good response, it's just that there's very likely a limit as to how good you're able to write what I think is a bad concept. But that's just how I view it.
>>
>>25835695
>>25835710
>>25835782
Sweet. Thanks a bunch for giving as many details as you guys did. Some of these definitely look interesting.
>>
>>25835782
Link?

>>25835810
Yeah I knew from the very beginning that this would appeal to a very niche audience. But considering that, bad or good, it's a fairly broad concept, I don't think such a limit is something to be concerned about. Hell, Fallout: Equestria is about as grimdark as pony fanfics get, and look how popular it is.
>>
>>25835868
Not sure what you want a link to, so here's all three of them:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/54894/the-archer-and-the-smith
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/26192/mendacity
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/13034/the-age-of-wings-and-steel
>>
>>25835868
>Yeah I knew from the very beginning that this would appeal to a very niche audience.
I actually don't think that's true. It sounds like something that could hit well with most FimFiction users.

>But considering that, bad or good, it's a fairly broad concept
But there's still a problem in the core of the concept, being about "global domination" and "in the spirit of Warhammer Fantasy", that you probably won't be able to shake. If I decided to write a story about my red and black OC's dong more trying to make a humours point here than likening your story to that, there's going to be a very real "limit" to how good that story can be. It's not impossible that it's good, it's just overwhelmingly unlikely.

>Fallout: Equestria is about as grimdark as pony fanfics get, and look how popular it is.
I'm talking about how good something is, not how popular it is.
>>
>>25835541
>Starlight Glimmer
lost interest 5 words into your description
>>
>>25835920
>the core of the concept, being about "global domination" and "in the spirit of Warhammer Fantasy"
I get what you're saying, since I'm probably making it sound like it'd just be a slew of generic doomsday villains duking it out on some gigantic Risk board, but I do try my hardest to give all sides interesting backstories and motivations that go beyond just doing it for power or the lulz. Funnily enough, it does feature a black and red OC. He goes out crying like a bitch and has hardly any impact on the plot. He's actually part of a satire I made of needlessly edgy stupidity in fanfics.

>how good something is
How good something is is subjective. I'm not saying popularity = quality, but it has to have at least some redeeming qualities if it has widespread popularity. I actually don't like FoE that much.
>>
File: 11 - 4UyZTeu.jpg (84 KB, 1280x713) Image search: [Google]
11 - 4UyZTeu.jpg
84 KB, 1280x713
>>25836008
>>
>>25835710
>but it avoids all the main HiE issues by having everyone be too busy saving the world to fuck around with all that cultural exchange bullshit.
That sounds just awful. I'd prefer actual cultural exchange bullshit over 'humans gotta save the world because the magical and clearly more capable residents of magic horse land are somehow incapable of doing anything useful'

I'd really like to find more fics in the same vein as Celestia Sleeps in/OtPP and, yes even Cultural Artifacts.

Well you know- like cultural artifacts, except you know- coherent.
>>
>>25836065
>He's actually part of a satire I made of needlessly edgy stupidity in fanfics
That doesn't sound one bit better, but I'll let it rest. I'm not going to read this anyway.

>How good something is is subjective
Oh come on, don't succumb to the lowest possible defence here. You and I both know that some stories are undeniably better than others, and if you retreat to a point of complete relativism, it only makes you unable to even use the terms "good" and "bad". Aspiring to meet any hallmarks of decent writing, like proper pacing and characterization, is pointless if you can claim the story isn't made any better by it.
Within our written culture, and I doubt you're going to work outside it, there's objective traits that by and far will determine the quality of a written work. I'm not saying that FO:E is horrible and does everything wrong about everything (it is for example legible, which is a boon to its quality), but appealing to subjectivity or popularity is a lost cause.
>>
>>25836263
"My opinion is fact" is also a very poor argument, not to mention a smug and pompous one that won't win you any friends. Yes, there are objective standards to which a piece of fiction can be held, but that's pretty much relegated to things like internal consistency and functionality. A person can dislike an objectively decent piece of writing because the more subjective elements don't appeal to him, and that's fine. You can give a masterpiece of a romance work to someone who's a hardcore action/adventure fan, and chances are he won't like it. Give a poorly written action/adventure work to that same guy, and he probably won't like that either. It's not black and white, you know.
>>
>>25835158
>So I assume, that by saying that the "people" should have the power, he's really just saying that "I SHOULD HAVE THE POWER".

So Starlight Glimmer has a fimfiction account?
>>
File: derpi_864889.png (590 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
derpi_864889.png
590 KB, 1280x720
>>25836625
If only.
>>
>>25836217
I'd like that too, but the anon asking for recs was looking for adventure. So it's useful to point out that the fic skips right over all the standard HiE tropes (which are only really handled well in fics like CSI/OTPP where they're the primary feature) and instead keeps the focus on the adventuring.

>humans gotta save the world because the magical and clearly more capable residents of magic horse land are somehow incapable of doing anything useful
Not sure if you've read the fic, but it's a bit more complicated than that. A significant part of the plot revolves around an event 2000 years ago, when Bellerophon used the Golden Bridle to grant humans dominion over ponykind. This is what prompted the alicorns to separate Equestria from Earth.
>>
>>25836677
>Not sure if you've read the fic, but it's a bit more complicated than that.
I have. And my statement stands. A pair of nigh immortal demigods, a 6 part magical superweapon and an array of royal guards cant seem to stop, let alone find an 8 year old girl. And Pegasus' bridle wasnt even an issue until the end of the story

Though to be fair, it has been quite a while since I've read it, but from what I remember the ponies were pretty much worthless.
>>
Anyone got some recommended AU fics? I read the ones on the list but they didn't do anything for me
>>
File: 45.png (91 KB, 227x253) Image search: [Google]
45.png
91 KB, 227x253
>Voiceguy gets drunk enough to read The Chase

I actually ran out of alcohol. Can't afford any more.

You could fix that that I mean you don't have to but I would appreciate it.
>>
>>25838350
Just whip up a batch of homemade jenkem
>>
>>25837536
Any specific AU genre?
Sure 90% of AU is adventure-y, but there are other options
>>
>>25835158
>So I assume, that by saying that the "people" should have the power, he's really just saying that "I SHOULD HAVE THE POWER". Fucking great.
I think his argument is, democracy is flawed because people barely ever vote on anything and it's all up to the politicians anyway.
>>
>>25838350
>pay for my booze so I can get shitfaced for free
>>
>>25836765
>A pair of nigh immortal demigods, a 6 part magical superweapon and an array of royal guards cant seem to stop, let alone find an 8 year old girl.
Said 8-year-old is running through places no pony but C&L has ever heard of, with another nigh-immortal demigod (the Morgwyn) guiding her and the Wand goblins running interference.

>And Pegasus' bridle wasnt even an issue until the end of the story
Amelia picks it up halfway through and promptly uses it to mindrape RD. Boom, no more EoH.

>from what I remember the ponies were pretty much worthless
I also haven't read it in a while, but as I recall, in the end it was Leit Motif who talked down Amelia and saved the day.

The M6 did have a pretty minor role, compared to what you'd expect for an MLP fic. But I liked the other characters well enough (both ponies and humans), and I was satisfied by the story's explanation of why they can't just friendship their way to victory.
>>
>>25839348
You are correct and the other Anon is a fucking moron.

- Anonymous
>>
>>25839348
I feel like this could be a new thing- debating the finer points of fics we read last year and only vaguely remember.

>>25839367
we're debating fanfiction. we are both morons
>>
>>25839373
No, we're autists.
>>
>>25839373
>debating the finer points of fics we read last year and only vaguely remember.
Easy, let's just talk about the pre-war zebras' motivations in FoE again
>>
>>25839385
I said things we've read.

Theres only one autist here that made it through FoE.
>>
File: 1381863965290.png (1 MB, 1000x3208) Image search: [Google]
1381863965290.png
1 MB, 1000x3208
>>25839398
>one
There's like three, and almost everyone else shits on it without ever touching it.
Source: I'm one of the three.
At least we can all make fun of Project Horizons together.
>>
>>25839409
>I'm one of the three.
thats nothing to be proud of, anon
>>
>>25839717
You are currently posting in a thread dedicated to serious discussion about fanfiction and lore of a cartoon for little girls starring colorful magical ponies who save the world using the powers of friendship.
And you're probably a regular, too.
>>
Words.
About little horses.
Arranged to form stories.
>>
>>25840593
It'd be good
>>
File: why.jpg (20 KB, 333x451) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
20 KB, 333x451
chapter 15 of diaries of a madman anonz

only 115 to go
>>
>tfw The Descendant will never again thank you for favoriting one of his stories or welcome you to Fimfiction when you first sign up
Why even live?

>>25830425
I suppose you could say it's a rewrite I'm planning on playing up the AU component of it by making Equestria more aggressive and imperialistic. Although technically the first half will run parallel to Rainbow Factory and the actual plot of Rainbow Factory will be left untouched.

>>25831016
I already wrote a oneshot parody of Rainbow Factory, so I'm well aware it probably won't do well. I don't really care. If I wanted to write popular fics, I'd just spam out oneshot comedies/SoL twice a week or finish Regent.

I'm in it to have fun and maybe get a little writing experience. Popularity's just a bonus.

>>25834482
To be fair, there is some confusion about the follower thing. One of the mods said it would take hundreds, and another said thousands.

>>25835541
>giving her an entire empire
Where is it located? Because I highly doubt the princesses would just let someone carve out a big chunk of Equestria to call their own.

>ruling different parts of the world
I could see Discord being okay with that, but NMM explicitly wants Equestria and eternal night. Sombra also wants Equestria and the Crystal Empire, Chrysalis also wants Equeatria for food/delusions of conquest.

All the villains seem to have some desire for Equestria, which makes sense since they could have just opted to conquer the griffons or zebra if they were just after power and not deal with four alicorn princesses and millennia old artifacts of magic.

I could see them maybe setting up elsewhere before trying to invade Equestria, but then the plot starts creeping close to Upheaval's.

>>25839409
>we can all make fun of Project Horizons
You forgot about that one anon who masturbates weekly to PH.
>>
>>25842782
>You forgot about that one anon who masturbates weekly to PH.
What? I'm a regular here and I have no idea who you're talking about.
>>
>>25842782
>'m planning on playing up the AU component of it by making Equestria more aggressive and imperialistic. Although technically the first half will run parallel to Rainbow Factory and the actual plot of Rainbow Factory will be left untouched.
...so youre rewriting rainbow factory and intentionally making it even worse?
>>
>>25842782
>Where is it located?
A desert wasteland separated from Equestria by a vast mountain range covering its southern and eastern fringes and sterile nothingness to the west and north, only habitable to a civilized population because of a river that flows west down from the mountains in the east. Equestria doesn't rule the whole world in my AU, although it is the largest and most technologically advanced.

Alicorn princesses are also not completely invincible even if they are incredibly powerful, and millenia old artifacts either aren't huge game-changers or have insanely long cool-down times, and they're very hard to come by. This means Celestia has to use political, economic, and military power just like everyone else; she can't just summon a Deus Ex Machina to fix everything.
>>
Found this little gem just now:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/169192/twilight-on-acid
>>
>>25845387
looks like a bleedin fic.

and it got sequels
>>
Regidar,
Shooting star,
Don't join the cucks,
Finish "Self Service Sucks!"
>>
so is TDA kill?

the world needs more futaloo
>>
File: Jamie ;~;.jpg (52 KB, 427x507) Image search: [Google]
Jamie ;~;.jpg
52 KB, 427x507
>>25846449
I'm far too busy listening to Xiu Xiu and contemplating suicide for that
how does sometime tomorrow sound? I'm doing fuckall then
>>
>>25839136
Not really, as long as it isn't hurr durr different elements of harmony
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.