[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hipster Celestia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: whale thing.png (344 KB, 1600x1762) Image search: [Google]
whale thing.png
344 KB, 1600x1762
>"Are you sure my cake is gluten free and organic with no GMOs, Anon?"
>>
>>25773024
There's nothing wrong with GMO
>>
>>25773024
If celestia were a hipster equestria would be much less of a utopia
>>
>>25773024
That's not a hipster thing
That's an upper middle class white thing
>>
>>25773024
the only GMOs in there princess... is my semen
>>
>>25773090
There's a whole fucking lot wrong with the legal system surrounding it, though.
>>
>>25773791
Not out to argue, just curious. Could you provide examples?
>>
>>25774028
GMOs helped sort out food shortages by being able to grow more food with no side-effects.

People saw it as unnatural and fucked up world hunger some more by banning something completely safe.
>>
>>25774033
Oh, that's what you mean. I was thinking that the GMO industry was doing some shady business with the law. Yeah, it's kind of sad that a modified practice of what we've been doing for a very long time gets shut down because reasons. That being said, it's good that people are immediately skeptical of things.
>>
>>25774028
Well, there's the standard shit of private monopolies, but that's fairly general.
More specific is the way those monopolies are awarded.

Starting out, there was a court decision that you could patent a genetic strain, if it was man-made.
This decision was made on a basis where the spliced gene was custom made.
It did, however give precedence for other companies to patent simple gene splices, and even abnormal cross-pollination and hybridisation.

There's also the fact that if a patented organism from a licensed farmer's field cross-pollinates with crop on an adjacent field of an unlicensed farmer, the unlicensed farmer is guilty of patent infringement, through no fault of his own.

There are studies showing negative effects from certain GMO strains, but most studies are either inconclusive or without significant difference.

Then there's the risk inherent to any mono-culture, which the patent laws are strictly encouraging by not allowing variations to be made to patented strains, except with permission from the holder of the patents who have no incentive to do so as they're making money from the mono-culture and diversifying would give them no additional profits while potentially eating their existing profits.
>>
>>25774033
>with no side-effects.
Except their increased tolerance causing farmers to over-use pesticides and poisoning themselves, their lands and their produce.

Can't really blame the GMOs themselves for uneducated farmers overusing pesticide, but it is certainly a side-effect of GMO use in nations where food scarcity was/is an issue.

But yes. The complete ban of GMO is very unfortunate and would have been better handled by education.
But that's expensive and most places where food scarcity is a thing are very poor.
>>
>>25773090
That's why a lot of countries forbid them in human food...
>>
>>25774300
because they're retarded
>>
>>25774133
>There's also the fact that if a patented organism from a licensed farmer's field cross-pollinates with crop on an adjacent field of an unlicensed farmer, the unlicensed farmer is guilty of patent infringement, through no fault of his own.
No one has ever been prosecuted for that, this argument has only ever been a smokescreen for farmers up to some real shady shit.
>>
>>25773024

Let's look at those one at a time:

>Gluten free
Is Celiac Disease a thing in Equestria? If not, then don't worry about it.

>Organic
With the exception of a pinch of salt, every ingredient is absolutely organic. This is why things have to be eaten quickly around here, we haven't developed preservatives yet.

>No GMOs
In Equestria, no one has yet developed the technology to genetically modify foods, beyond cross-breeding practices that have been around for centuries. In any event, there is not enough commercial interest in the technology to make it a paying business proposition, so no one's doing that.

tl;dr: Just eat the fucking cake already.
>>
>>25774133
I see you watched Food Inc too. But seriously fuck Monsanto. There's nothing wrong with GMO but the company making most of them is a monster.
>>
>>25775486
Yea their terminator gene is fucking awful.
Makes sure that the plant dies out after one generation, keeping the farmers hooked on buying seeds from Monsanto.
>>
>>25775614
which is bad because...
>>
>>25775614
Monsanto has to recoup billions in development for their seeds, so either as terminator gene exists or they'd have to charge millions for use of the seed because the second the second generation is born that farmer is just going to resell the GMO seeds at significantly lower cost because they don't have the burden of paying off the r&d bill.

There's nothing 'evil' about that.
>>
>>25775657
>>25775678
Monsanto shouldn't exist. I understand that they just do whatever is in the best interest of themselves but it is not good for society because they're basically a monopoly.
>>
>wanting the same company who developed chemical weapons a few decades ago to grow your food
>said company doesn't care about how it affect the health of the consumer because "that's the FDA's job not ours!"
>meanwhile the chairs of the FDA are former employees of said company
no thanks tbqh
>>
>>25775723
>tfw the FDA is controlled by big business and not the ATF
>>
>>25775657
>>25775678
Its one of the few things i go full blown hippie about.
Its just something that icks me.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.