[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mlp/ Rewatches MLP:FiM. Episode 05x1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 18
File: S 01 Ep 5.jpg (248 KB, 1915x1070) Image search: [Google]
S 01 Ep 5.jpg
248 KB, 1915x1070
We will be rewatching the whole show until more or less when we think S6 may start. Every Saturday, Sunday, and some Fridays we will rewatch one episode (see the calendar in next post). Feel free to discuss it again, post screenshots and stuff about today episode ITT.

Today episode: Griffon the Brush-Off (Season 1 episode 5). Written by Cindy Morrow

You can watch it online right here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmzohq_my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-episode-5-griffon-the-brush-off_shortfilms

And you can download it here.
https://yp1.yayponies.no/episodes.php
>>
File: Calendar.jpg (160 KB, 1261x698) Image search: [Google]
Calendar.jpg
160 KB, 1261x698
And as usual, the calendar
>>
Still hate the griffon for being a griffon. Still hate tue butthurt drama scene and how the griffon refuses to admit his wrongs.
The episode should have been a cutesy story about prankihg.

But this dumb one-shot character ruins the episode.
>>
Feels a bit different watching this now, having seen what Griffonstone is like.
>>
Agree, 2bh this was the first MLP episode I disliked
>>
>>25753317
well, not DISLIKED, more like... the first one I felt a bit weak
>>
File: image.png (125 KB, 600x776) Image search: [Google]
image.png
125 KB, 600x776
WHAT IS THE SUNFLOWER FOR?!
>>
File: bye.jpg (69 KB, 1201x631) Image search: [Google]
bye.jpg
69 KB, 1201x631
And we never saw her again for what? 3 or 4 years?...
>>
File: Untitled.png (624 KB, 966x722) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
624 KB, 966x722
Holy fuck this shot where Rainbow and Pink are running towards the camera is adorable.
>>
>the scene with Celestia at the end
BUT WHO WAS INK??
>>
File: Young_Gilda_ID_S5E8.png (414 KB, 623x698) Image search: [Google]
Young_Gilda_ID_S5E8.png
414 KB, 623x698
>>25753674
After rewatching this episode I've now decided this is one of the saddest episodes of ponies. Gilda wanted to hang out with Rainbow Dash, Pinkie kept trying to butt in and be the third wheel.
In retrospect, this episode is about Gilda losing her only friend because Pinkie doesn't understand boundaries.
Discuss
>>
>>25753735
Agree. It's kind of ironic comming from a show about friendship, right?
>>
>>25753735
Gilda's still a bitch, she stole an apple, made Fluttershy cry and pranks Granny Smith super hard but can't handle getting pranked herself. But you touch on part of what I think makes her such a popular character (besides being an interesting non-pony creature): she is genuinely Rainbow Dash's friend. Even at the end you can tell she wants to reconcile with her ("When you decide to stop being lame, give me a call") but is too defensive to just apologize for losing her shit. I think in most cartoons it would have turned out that Gilda had some ulterior motive for hanging out with RD and didn't care about her at all, thus explaining why Rainbow would be friends with such a cunt in the first place, but Griffon the Brushoff tells a more interesting story that I think kids are less likely to hear elsewhere: that people who care about you can still be bad people and you should be willing to let them go in such a case.
>>
>>25753735
While some of the blame can be put on ponk being a crazed friend slut, I feel it would also only be appropriate to acknowledge Gilda to be at either equal or even greater fault for not just being accepting of pinkie's attempts at friendship. I mean then they could have all been friends together, but it's also clear that couldn't have happened because Gilda seems like too much of jerk to really "fit in" with the pony crowd.
>>
I like how this episode has a few additional morals: to not take pranks too far and to make sure your judgments of someone are well-founded and not spurious.

I also like how this is one of those season 1 episodes where we get to see some of the Mane 6's friendships beginning to form. The way Rainbow Dash avoids Pinkie Pie at the beginning implies they're not really close friends yet, even though they're both friends with Twilight and then the first 1/3 of the episode is just RD&PP bonding over pranks before the real plot even starts.

I think the party scene is even better on rewatch with the added irony that comes from knowing that Pinkie Pie is innocent and has absolutely nothing nefarious planned. The fact that Gilda's cynicism and distrust lead directly to her own downfall is very satisfying, although I wonder if Pinkie's plan to help her lighten up would have worked if she hadn't coincidentally gotten all the pranks.

Best line: "I'm a year older than you."
>>
>>25753822
>>25753831
That's something I found interesting about Griffon the Brushoff. I felt like it showed that griffons were naturally jerks to each other. I felt like Gilda found a way to be different around RD. But Pinkie was just a bit too intense so she went back to being a griffon rather than acting like a pony. That's how I thought of it.
>>
Post awesome pranks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvX5dNdMK8
>>
ITS JUST A PRANK BRO
>>
>>25754001
at first I tought it was some sarcastic video but holy shit...
>>
>>25754023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wldE_4xjVQ
>>
>>25754001
After watching this kind of stuff I start understanding why so many 'mericans say the west coast is the worst coast
>>
>>25753917
Yeah with what you were saying and the Pinkie's line about how she bet if she had ever met a griffon they probably wouldn't be as mean as Gilda makes me almost think they had at least some intention that all Griffons are naturally jerks meaning, but the next griffon we see is Gustav and he isn't really a jerk, a bit pompous but not outright mean.
>>
File: utterdisgust.png (995 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
utterdisgust.png
995 KB, 1366x768
Best face of the episode
>>
>>25754430
there is another one in that scene, a few seconds before
>>
>>25754430
Is she about to sneeze?
>>
>>25754699
Off with her wings!
>>
>>25754699
Why?
>>
File: dank.jpg (15 KB, 273x463) Image search: [Google]
dank.jpg
15 KB, 273x463
>>25754699
>dead and void of content generals get bumped and bumped for days and no one gives a fuck
>trying to bring some show discussion or at last to get some anons to watch the show while we are on hiatus is bad

no, I will keep bumping this thread until the end of the day
>>
I will bump this thread a few more times for our american friends, even if there is no "discussion" in the thread, as long as there are some anons who might just want to watch the episode.
>>
Griffonstone makes this episode a lot more tragic in hindsight.
>>
>>25755808
no u
>>
>>25755813
Yeah, Gilda wants to be friends with Rainbow Dash but fucks it up because she was raised by kikes who don't understand friendship.
>>
File: tall.png (158 KB, 1024x818) Image search: [Google]
tall.png
158 KB, 1024x818
>>25755861
>>
>>25755813
2bh that episode made me feel less bad for her.
>>
>>25755925
Her upbringing and where she comes from kind of explains her view of what a friend should be.
>>
File: YOU'VE GOT MAIL.jpg (339 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
YOU'VE GOT MAIL.jpg
339 KB, 1920x1080
>literally avatarfagging

I haven't watched Metal Riffs:The Episode in a long time, but it's nice to see it again after Griffonstone.
It's interesting to see how at the beginning nobody really wants to deal with Pinkie's shit, Twilight just kinda tolerates her and tunes her out, Dash actually tries to fly away just so she doesn't have to talk to her. I guess they got used to her over time.
>>
>>25755940
I should rewatch that episode
>>
Also it's funny how Twilight was kinda right, the fault was in Pinkie's attitude. This happens later on with A Friend in Deed as well, when she forces herself upon Cranky. Ponka is a friendship rapist and "no" isn't in her dictionary. Maybe if she understood what "hanging out later" means and respected that Gilda just wants to hang out mainly with Dash because they haven't seen each other a couple years, things would have probably turned out differently.
Maybe if Dash didn't rig the whole party with pranks to laugh at Gilda's expense while she's just frustrated, grumpy, and fed up with the pones, she would return to Griffonstone and made friends there. Sure she acted like a cunt at first but they had a one in a time opportunity to change that, but instead they just pissed her off and made her even more bitter than before, affirming her in her views and probably making her even more of a cunt.
>>
>>25756159
Ponk can be annoying to some
>>
>>25756159
It's also funny how Twilight is hypocrite about it too. She accuses Pinkie of being jealous, while she was jealous herself in 'What About Discord'. In 'A friend in Deed' Twilight suggests to Pinkie to leave Cranky alone and face-palms when Pinkie mentions she will after she apologizes to him. And what happened in Amending Fences? Twilight goes in extreme lengths trying to apologize to Moondancer who just wants to be left alone. Good thing Moondancer did forgave her and became more approachable again, but it was kinda the same thing as Twilight was warning Pinkie not to do.
>>
File: your friends.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
your friends.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>25757012
I agree with the jealousy point, but I think that in Amending Fences the situation was a bit different. While in A Friend in Deed Pinkie just wanted to apologize to Cranky for fucking his shit up so they could stay on neutral grounds (although not for long, knowing Pinkie), in Amending Fences Twilight sees her foalhood friend becoming a shut-in, for which she is completely to blame, and she knows that. The motivation to fix her mistakes and become friends -again- is stronger than to apologize to a cranky stranger after ruining his day.
Basically it comes down to Twilight already knowing Moondancer and seeing the huge effects of her mistakes.
>>
Pin the tail on the pony sure has been mentioned a lot in these first few episodes, considering it's based on a game I've never actually seen played in real life.
>>
File: _.png (369 KB, 910x613) Image search: [Google]
_.png
369 KB, 910x613
Holy fuck am I glad I took time out of my day to start watching this show again because god damn are the older episodes better than the utter shit we get now.
>>
>>25757273
It's a sexual thing for ponies, you're basically giving them buttplugs.
>>
>>25757338
*disagreeing externally*
>>
>>25757273
I played pin the tail on the donkey once as a kid.
>>
>>25757435
Shut up nobody asked you
>>
>>25757435
Sorry anon, that was mean. Having a bad night. Took it out on you.
>>
File: 1445696002009.png (576 KB, 587x419) Image search: [Google]
1445696002009.png
576 KB, 587x419
>>25757631
That's okay, have a picture of Twilight riding a T Rex.
>>
>>25757681
:D
>>
It is kind of weird seeing Colgate attend all those parties and Twilight not saying a single thing to her.
>>
>>25757999
Yeah the retcon of her being far off in the background every now and then is good
But come on, Minuette's right there
She's right there three fucking times, at least one of them could say hello
Lyra's there also thrice, Lemonhearts and Twinkleshine once each
Also it's kinda creepy when you realize most of them don't move at all, they don't even blink
>>
>>25757999
such a shitty friend
>>
I'm going to bump this one more time before going to bed.

Next episode will be next Friday, "Boast Busters"
>>
>>25758903
I don't like waiting a week in between these threads, but if we did them more frequently we'd run out of episodes sooner :^(
>>
File: godspeed.gif (789 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
godspeed.gif
789 KB, 480x270
>>25759192
You're doing god's work
>>
>>25759344
Oh, I'm not the anon who makes the threads, I just someone who likes posting in them.
>>
>>25759469
*I'm
>>
Bump before bed
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.