[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, now that we were all positive about S5, pick out yo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 17
File: whatever.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
whatever.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Alright, now that we were all positive about S5, pick out your worst of the season.

http://strawpoll.me/6180506
>>
>>25661108
>Princess Spike on 46%

We can do better /mlp/
>>
>>25661108
I'm torn between Princess Spike and Appleloosa's Most Wanted.
>>
File: 82.png (524 KB, 1067x588) Image search: [Google]
82.png
524 KB, 1067x588
>>25661616
Come on Anon, you wouldn't say no to an ass like this would you?
It's obviously Princess Spike
>>
>>25661616
Why not both?
>>
Why does everyone hate Appaloosa's most wanted?
>>
>>25661108
I'm guessing we'll see one or more episodes (Slice of Life is my guess for sure) that will feature top 5/10 of the Best episodes and Top 5/10 of the Worst too.
>>
>>25661616
I don't see why people don't like AMW. It's certainly better than Princess Spike.
>>
>>25661690
They didn't do a very good job explaining how it's possible Troubleshoes got his cutie mark without realizing his true talent, and the whole episode was shoe-horned (horseshoed?) in just to establish what the CMC were good at.
>>
>>25661771
I don't think that really compares to Dusedau's episodes.
>>
>>25661771
Is that it? I don't really see it. And it's not even an episode I liked.
>>
>>25661817
not at all, but I think this poll was multiple choice. Princess Spike definitely is on top as the most unwatchable episode. I actually find Appleoosa's Most Wanted to be decent, myself. Was just parroting arguments I've heard from people.
>>
>>25661860
It was. I made it multiple choice because the favorites counterparts was.
>>
Princess Spike failed on such a fundamental level that I don't think it could even be saved. The basic idea of it is stupid.
>>
I don't get it. What's so bad about Princess Spike? My recollection of it is pretty vague but I don't remember actively disliking the episode when I watched it.
>>
>>25662237
I can think of a few ways it could have been better developed. For one, get rid of the Dragonsneeze trees entirely. Just fuck em right off. Then, when Spike is tasked with keeping Twilight rested, Cadance should then gift him the power of the princess instead of leaving it there for him to assume when he's left no other option while attempting to keep Twilight rested. Hell, fucking one-line explain why Cadance fucks right off for most of the episode during Twilight's event. I mean, seriously, no one took any responsibility except Spike. Then, when the events leading to the disaster happen, have it not really be a problem because princesses and magic and shit can deal with that stuff. I mean, jeez, they were practically invalids that episode. Instead, focus the lesson on actual ways Spike was taking advantage of people and the negative effects that had. They seemed to try to do that while making Spike's pleasures completely have no ill effects. He was sorry things out of his control fucked things up.

It's a hard episode to save, but I think it's possible.
>>
>>25662316
Was literally about to ask this.
>>
>>25662316
The conflict made no sense, fuck the Dragonsneeze shit entirely, and there was no twist at all in the conflict that was built up. No sleight of hand by the writers to misdirect you and leave you pleasantly surprised. Just a total shit show that made Spike out to be the bad guy when he only did his best to do what he was asked while the incompetent princesses did nothing of value.
>>
>>25662316
I think I enjoyed PSpike more than Apploosa's Most Wanted. Either way both episodes were snooze-fests in execution.
>>
>>25662324
See, the concept of "Spike has to help protect a character from being disturbed" is so, at a base level, an unappealing and uninteresting idea that even if Larson were handed it I doubt he could have made it work. The way it was actually handled was just one stumble after another and I'm pretty sure based on a...I don't know how to describe this, but an idea that people actually enjoy seeing this character suffer regardless of context? It's like the writer saw a bunch of Spike slapstick or watched Just for Sidekicks and thought "Oh, people must like seeing his shit kicked in."

There's a reason Miller regrets it.
>>
>>25662376
I think it could have been so much better if Spike legitimately had responsibility and due to being Twi's assistant, actually had competence in handling her event. If they had focused more on his excesses outside of his responsibilities abusing his title a little and getting a little neglectful due to that alone, it could have been a charming episode. He'd have shone as a character while letting his well-known vices get the better of him, learning an important lesson about controlling yourself when given responsibility.
>>
>>25662348
Where was the appeal in seeing the ending set up within the first five minutes so obviously? It completely robbed any of the "bad" things Spike did of any belief that he actually was responsible. The whole reason we're supposed to hate him relies on such a huge suspension of disbelief that I thought that the characters were joking at first.
>>
>>25661690
I don't hate it, I just think it's boring so I picked it.
>>
>>25662423
Kind of a joke I know, but in the grand scheme of things and the world fucking him over, Spike Did Nothing Wrong.
>>
File: 1439159702664.png (195 KB, 500x542) Image search: [Google]
1439159702664.png
195 KB, 500x542
>there are people on this board who consider "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" to be the worst
>>
>>25662490
>Only two votes for Castle Sweet Castle

The fuck?
>>
>>25661616

Appleloosa's Most Wanted was weak, but I can watch it. I can't even look at Princess Spike.
>>
>>25662886
Have you actually watched it? I know of numerous people who skipped it because it had "Spike" in the title. That seems to be a guarantee of getting low viewership/ratings. They should stop doing that.
>>
>>25662911

Yes, I have watched it. And I have rewatched it because sometimes my opinion will change on a second viewing. I give every episode a fair shot. But it is just a terrible poorly written episode in my opinion.

And for the record, I have nothing against Spike. He has some good episodes but when he gets a bad one it is often really bad.
>>
>>25661771
People hating it because they're mad that they misunderstood cutiemark lore are retarded. Nothing was retconned. If they were upset that Apple Bloom's plan was retarded or that it was just boring to them, I'd understand, but that's ridiculous.
>>
>>25664256
All of the adults were acting like idiots.
>>
File: Pepe Big Butt.jpg (23 KB, 450x500) Image search: [Google]
Pepe Big Butt.jpg
23 KB, 450x500
>>25661651
Reminds me of this
>>
Can anyone explain to me why What About Discord is resting at second place? I didn't like the episode much myself but I thought it had some moments.
To be honest, I don't think any episode of this season stuck out to be very bad, not even Princess Spike.
>>
>>25664801
Personally I voted for it because it involves a regression of Discords character. And honestly, probably Twilight's as well.
>>
>>25662350
This. Although PS entertained me just a tiny bit more. However those were only the sleepy Twilight parts and the angry Canterlot mob, so it's still really dull.
>>
>>25661108
>tfw I can't decide which one is the worst
I liked them all
>>
>>25662594
Just voted for it
>>
>>25664801
Recalling the episode sticky, it was the most divisive episode of the season, with some hating it and some liking it.
>>
>>25661108

Slice of life and make new friends but keeo discord are the worst of the season
>>
>DPDoMS and MNFbKD have votes
I mean unless you hate long-ass titles there's nothing wrong with these.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 1136x640
>>25664369
Reminds me of this
>>
>>25665834
>make new friends but keeo discord
Explain.
>>
File: baito.png (38 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
baito.png
38 KB, 1000x1000
shit thread
>>
File: 93827268.png (309 KB, 845x504) Image search: [Google]
93827268.png
309 KB, 845x504
>>25661108
Princess Spike should be taken out or a worst three should be made cause everyone is automatically fall on PS without even thinking. And some thought other than a bandwagon trigger should be done.
>>
>voting for Slice of Life

Fuck off.
>>
>>25664801

I enjoyed Discord's antics, the Bob Ross bit and all, but the story was weak and the ending even weaker. Disappointing for a Discord episode.
>>
File: 1428162601833.png (133 KB, 415x299) Image search: [Google]
1428162601833.png
133 KB, 415x299
>>25665881
Long titles trigger me, shitlord
>>
How could anybody stand Party Pooped? The expressions and "humor" were fucking painful. Everyone was 20x more retarded than usual and it didn't make any goddamn sense. I was in shock, disbelief after seeing it. Thinking "there's no way this shit was real. I must be dreaming".
>>
>>25666002
I forgot that episode existed and didn't vote for it
>>
>>25666002

I do like Party Pooped but I understand why some don't. It certainly is more of a Looney Tunes style than normal. No pony but Pinkie Pie could get away with riding a sled from Yakyakistan to Ponyville. Even with a nation of Hulks threatening war, this wasn't an episode to take seriously. Maybe I like it because don't look at it too seriously.
>>
>>25666002
I don't quite understand the negative attention for that episode. I thought it was funny and cute, and that's all ponies have to be for me.
>>
>>25664801
By a large margin, its the worst Discord episode there's been. On top of the character development issues and awful ending, it was just boring plain and simple
>>
>>25661696
Yup
Slice of Life
>4th Best
>7th Worst

Cutie Re-Mark 1&2
>1st Best
>9th Worst
>>
>>25665898

>shipping
Enough but
Also tree huggee is a generic as shit character, ebin hippie
Flutters being OOC and massive destruction of Discord character
>>
>>25666002
The ponies' characters were pretty well written. That's what saved the episode for me, but just barely. Luckily Confalone toned down the random humor and made Hearthbreakers an amazing episode.
>>
>>25667727
>Flutters being OOC and massive destruction of Discord character
The heck? I could see Flutters ignoring Discord a bit as slightly out of the normal, but Discord was pretty believable. He's still learning about the whole friendship stuff, so him being jealous is pretty believable.
>>
>>25664801
Guilt by association.

People are so butthurt about Princess Spike they will vote against any episode by the same writer.
>>
>>25665980
It was a bad episode and you should feel bad for having such shit taste.
>>
>>25661108
>we

Go fuck yourelf with a cactus until you bleed to death, motherfucker.

Don't you fucking dare to speak for me.
>>
>>25661108
> Princess Spike
> Jim Miller uses his director power to shoehorn his friends Andy Price and Katie Cook in
> Episode is shit at the point he apologizes via twitter and even has to admit the fandom will not like what they did to Spike for the rest of the season.

> Appleloosa Most wanted
> Jim Miller voices Troubleshoes
> Episode is regarded as boring as fuck

I think the problem lies with Jim Miller trying to use the show to pander himself.
>>
>>25661108
>now that we were all positive about S5
It kinda sucked actually.
>>
>>25668143
>and even has to admit the fandom will not like what they did to Spike for the rest of the season.

I thought he was pretty good in Amending Fences and the finale
>>
>>25668266
There's always exceptions to the rule. He was done pretty well in Scaremaster too.
>>
File: 07.jpg (336 KB, 800x1349) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
336 KB, 800x1349
Is there a Full Season 5, 1080p torrent yet?
>>
>>25668266
If by pretty good you mean "a pretty wallflower" then you are right.
>>
File: PonkSmail.gif (1 MB, 320x388) Image search: [Google]
PonkSmail.gif
1 MB, 320x388
>>25664331
That's a rude way to talk about /mlp/.
>>
>>25661108
Wait, people didn't like What About Discord?
>>
why is nobody talking about how bad lost treasures of griffinstone was?

you'd think the polarized reviews and comprehensive analysis everyone's throwing around here would make princess spike an interesting-enough episode to not be the worst.

but what about the super-forgettable ones? shouldn't those be the 'worst' because they were so boring we all forgot about them?

lost treasures of griffinstone
made in manehatten
probably the hoofields and mccolts
>>
>>25668437
theres no pleasing you ever is there?
>>
File: That white whore.png (271 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
That white whore.png
271 KB, 1280x720
>>25664801
Literally this >>25668019
because the writer wrote Princess Spike, now anything he writes is automatically shit in the eyes of autistic retards here. Nor was the episode poorly written or any of the characters "out of character" in any way. Basically it's a bunch of socially stunted people who got triggered when their escapism cartoon made them feel the same way real life does whenever they're out in public seeing other people with friends having fun, and have zero appreciation for decent writing or a good story.
>>
>>25668538
Sorry, but when the staff goes on a braging and mega hype spree about how awesome S05 was going to be and then they feed you crumbs and scraps, I AM going to feel unpleased no matter how hard you try to shill for them.

I don't want a nice Spike moment, I want a nice Spike EPISODE and when even a background pony like Derpy Fucking Hooves receives more and better character developement than Spike, of course I will feel dissapointed and cheated.
>>
>>25668574
>because the writer wrote Princess Spike, now anything he writes is automatically shit in the eyes of autistic retards here.
What a nice person.
I like the way as he adresses the situation with respect and maturity.

It's difficult to not see the light after such a respectful comment.
>>
File: WDYTWA.png (155 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
WDYTWA.png
155 KB, 500x500
>>25668611
Tom Spiegel pls.
Spike doesn't just -deserve- an episode because his "especially dedicated fans" are upset about it. Besides the fact that he has gotten episodes and HUGE roles to shine in yet his fans remain unsatisfied because he isn't living up to -their- ideals.

>>25668630
Are you trying to say this place isn't infested with actual autists?
>Pic very much related
>>
>>25668671
>Spike doesn't just -deserve- an episode because his "especially dedicated fans" are upset about it.

The background ponies got an episode dedicated to them BECAUSE of their fans.
>>
>>25668671
>Are you trying to say this place isn't infested with actual autists?
I see you and nobody else.
>>
>>25666198
Anon is being bi-polar again.

Yes, Anon is a single person. It's you! There's nobody else here!
>>
>Princess Spike
>Worse than What About Discord?

Princess Spike was shit, it's true, but What About Discord literally had no redeeming qualities except for one small scene with Marty McPinkie Pie. At least Princess Spike had the lady from Fargo with a reasonably large role.
>>
>>25668723
>no u
lol

>>25668713
As loud as Spikefags can be about their grievances, the BG ponies' popularity has also been a staple in the fandom for a long time. But then, that entire episode was specifically about secondary and background characters.
>>
>>25668859
Yes, but Spike is actually a main fucking character.

Regarding the hate for What About Discord: people got nervous when they heard Dusedau write it, but I put aside my feelings and watched it with an open mind. It was still a mess. I mean to the people who hated Party Pooped I'm sure hearing about Hearthbreakers for the first time was upsetting. But Confalone wrote a less controversial episode and now his two are generally regarded as good or middling.

But yeah, there's really no excuse for other characters getting development before Spike or Celestia, especially brand new ones. Jesus fucking Christ, Anon. We know more about Starlight Glimmers past and aspirations and what she truly wanted and why she did what she did than we do Spike's. He's been a character for five seasons. The same applies for Celestia.
>>
>>25668816
They're both shit in their own way. PS was just all around shit and WAD ruined Discords character.
>>
File: 1444629996974.png (301 KB, 496x414) Image search: [Google]
1444629996974.png
301 KB, 496x414
>>25668671
>Every person who wants a character to be explored more and not just have moments of interesting stuff is an infamous super autist
>>
>>25667959

>The heck? I could see Flutters ignoring Discord a bit as slightly out of the normal
Come on, FS even cares and gives attention to the most minimal shit and she just rage quit with Discord when he opened
>le meme dimension xd

> He's still learning about the whole friendship stuff, so him being jealous is pretty believable.
How many discord eps did we have in s4?
I think we already had plenty, premiere and finale seem enough screentime for me
>>
>>25669741
We are getting at bare minimum three major Discord appearances next season. Yay. Already they ruined the development he got with What About Discord.
>>
>>25669763
I'm just gonna jump on the bandwagon and say Discord was ruined as soon as he was reformed. As much as I love DeLancie, a villain who is implied to be metaphorical for a rupture in the Mane 6 friendship, and showed their closeness and ability to recover is better off resting at the Canterlot Sculpture Garden
>>
>>25670020
It's really paralleling Q pretty well. Started off as an antagonist testing the main characters, and then became their friend, but he still uses his antics to mess with them and try to force friendship lessons while getting a sort of guttural glee from watching them suffer through them.

He's still a villain at heart, but he likes Fluttershy too much to fully return to his ways.
>>
File: 1449038790911.gif (278 KB, 986x1004) Image search: [Google]
1449038790911.gif
278 KB, 986x1004
>>25661108
>Those salty Rarity Investigates votes
>>
>>25670020
>>25670104
Considering that Fluttershy was part of the group who in WAD he readily took advantage of just for fucking with Twilight, not entirely sure. Then again WAD just was poorly written so I think S4 finale Discord and MNFBKD Discord is much better.

I really fucking hate the "IT'S JUST A LESSON FOR YOU TO LEARN, BRO" Discord plots, even if he gets his shit kicked in because they never actually are. If they never are actually genuine attempts to teach Twilight anything, then you can't look at the lesson positively.
>>
>>25670344
I think it's sort of how he's always a bit short-sighted. He's always making plans and then stopping there and not making backup plans that.
>>
>>25670344
>If they never are actually genuine attempts to teach Twilight anything, then you can't look at the lesson positively

You're close, but not quite right. It's a combination of Discord being a dick without actually doing anything evil and him testing the concept of friendship through Twilight because it's new and interesting to him.
>>
>>25670662
The "lessons" he teaches them are covers for him to be a dick. Even if they actually turn out to be real lessons they're ruined because he was never truly trying to teach them to Twilight out of the goodness of his heart. He thinks he can trick Twilight into that it was good for her, but Twilight is smarter than that and can tell that he isn't genuine with his lesson excuses.

Thus it makes the lessons seem less than they are. WAD had an especially poor lesson on top of that because the "lesson" Discord wanted to teach involved violating trust of friends and misleading them.
>>
File: nggrs.png (97 KB, 376x356) Image search: [Google]
nggrs.png
97 KB, 376x356
I couldn't even finish Brotherhooves Social. It was so awful.
>>
>>25671039
I thought it was decent. The only shitty parts were meta where Peter New was thoroughly convinced he was playing a trans character the entire time (despite the directors and writers saying he was not) and the whole impetus behind its creation in all likelihood.

I was just about to ask why it was ranked so high as the worst. I thought it did what it wanted to do well, again the only problem I had with it is that Peter New is a fucking retard and I really don't like Big Mac appearances as a whole because of it, and that episode made him go full retard. But if you take the meta BS out of it it's competent.
>>
File: 1398638138563.jpg (54 KB, 496x567) Image search: [Google]
1398638138563.jpg
54 KB, 496x567
>>25671039
Exactly this
>>
>>25662886
Pretty much this. It's not a hard decision.
>>
>>25671335
Takes talent to write an episode that bad.
>>
>>25670244
I'm surprised at the spread of the vote.
>>
>>25671117
>Numberphile
GG Anon. You have good taste in youtubers.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.