[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, now that it's over /mlp/, which season 5 episo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 57
File: 1432406329438.png (398 KB, 841x694) Image search: [Google]
1432406329438.png
398 KB, 841x694
Alright, now that it's over /mlp/, which season 5 episodes were your favorites?

http://strawpoll.me/6170164
>>
Bumparoni
>>
File: le smug doe face.png (130 KB, 384x372) Image search: [Google]
le smug doe face.png
130 KB, 384x372
>>25647607
They were all shit.
>>
>>25647607
IMO Amending Fences
>>
File: 1387595055139.jpg (38 KB, 405x350) Image search: [Google]
1387595055139.jpg
38 KB, 405x350
>>25647607
Slice of Life and What about Discord, no contest.
>>
Amening Fences, Scaremaster and The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows, in no particular order.

im not sure what I think of the finale still. Dark Eldar slave ponies happened. Twilight being bested at magic, perhaps because her friendship magic and princess duties have taken over her talent and cutie mark which was for being good at magic.
And it is a bit odd that the villains have gone from "basically a goddess of evil" from literal chaos gods to a unicorn that got upset she didnt get her cutie mark before her first crush?
>>
>>25648655
I get Amending Fences, but not the other two. Scare Master was barely anything and the other episode was practically filler.
>>
Crusaders Of the Lost Mark, The Cutie Map 1/2 and Slice Of Life in that order

Worst 3 from worst to best Princess Spike, The Hooffields and McColts and Castle Sweet Castle

The worst and best 5 of most people's list I think will have these episodes.
>>
>>25648760
Crusaders of the Lost Mark, Amending Fences, Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep for best three in that order for me

Princess Spike, What About Discord, and Castle Sweet Castle from worst to least worst
>>
>>25648684
Scaremaster reminded me of older seasons, fun costumes and fluttershy being adorable gets to me. I prefer slice of life stories.

the Pinkie episode was a good run for pinkie pie antics, and felt well paced and put together. I think Scaremaster had that too, it felt like a lot happened and nothing was truly really rushed by.
>>
>>25648787
Oh and forgot to say, it may also have something to do with that my moods tend to affect how much I like an episode on the first viewing. if im in a good mood im much more likely to enjoy it and remember being happy and glad when watching it, which makes it better, you know?
>>
>>25648819
>>25648787
Related I guess: Party Pooped aired on my birthday, and I had just spent the week prior stewing over how shit Princess Spike was. So I tend to rank it higher.
>>
>>25648831
I didnt like party pooped much. I found the yaks neither funny nor clever, and the whole episode felt more like a "kids" show than usual. That Pinkie keeps her own files on everyone she knows for party planning was kind of funny though.
>>
>>25648831
>>25648914
Oh, and I can agree that Princess Spike was a pretty bad ep. The purple nerd pony (not twilight) was cute though. best part of the episode right there. I got happy when she returend in made in manhattan. Rarity had a lot of good stuff this season didnt she? Rarity Investigates was another ace episode.
>>
File: mlfw13_small.jpg (8 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
mlfw13_small.jpg
8 KB, 320x240
>Picture unrelated
Slice of Life wasn't good.
It tried too hard to relate, and it was based off too many stereotypes.
Come at me, /mlp/
>>
>>25649001
Yeah, that was the best part. I actually got really upset as I was watching Princess Spike because I couldn't believe that shit.

>>25648914
Honestly the yaks seemed fine to me. And you want a "kid's show" episode? IMO, The One Where the Pinkie Pie Knows felt like that to me.
>>
>>25649454
Im not sure. it felt like the Yak episode had a less enjoyable plot overall. the same joke with the yaks not approving of something got repeated to often in the same exact way to really hit home with me. And that a war would happen because of them not getting what they want was kinda stupid. Pinkies antics felt like... I dont know, traveling to a different country and back what I assumed was a day felt out of place even for her.
MAybe I just had my bitch glasses on that day and was overly analytical of everything. Either way, I remember just thinking "this is pretty damn dumb" while watching it, so I didnt get any enjoyment out of it other than complaining about it to other anons.
>>
>>25649554
I'm a lorefag and I think the episode had a pretty good message to boot. So yeah, I don't get the hate. I only find comfort in that Princess Spike was so roundly and viciously critiqued by people that news actually came out that Jim Miller actually apologized and admitted it didn't turn out the way he wanted.

That was amazing to me, because it's the first time the show fucked up so badly that there is literally no other opinion about the episode to the point where there had to be an official response.
>>
>>25649364
you're right
>>
>>25649364
With the entire episode being what is basically an episodic shitpost I don't see how people can really rate it at all. It should exist outside ratings as far as quality of the season goes because its just a video memepost.
>>
>>25649622
This, basically.
It was hilarious, but it was barely an episode.

OT: I voted Markism, Grinch, Smooze, Gilda, 100, supremenerdhorse, noir, CMC marks, Limestone, and finale. I honestly liked every single episode, even Princess Spike.
>>
>>25649587
I havent really enjoyed the expanded lore when it comes to new species and countries this season. Both the yaks and the gryphons felt really.. one dimentional. Gryphons are greedy, and yaks are stubborn. The yaks I will give more leeway to though, we didnt really see much at all about them. But that all gryphons just are greedy lazy jews happy to live in a slum without some gold statue just felt well, lazy. We've already seen both Gilda, Gustave le grand and the gryphon teams for the pony games things, and none of them seemed to be very obsessed with bits. Why would they suddenly just be less cool lazy dragons now?
>>
>>25649622
This to be honest. Although it was still fun as fuck. I never really got the hate for the episode, since a lot of things they did in it referenced ideas the fanbase had been cooking up since 2011. It was like a cool homage, and not only did it reference those fanworks it did something creative with them (Bon Bon being a secret agent, fucking gummy).

The only way I can see people hating it is if they hate the fandom and their own autism so much they can't stand to see it in the official show, which makes literally no fucking sense to me.
>>
>>25649673
Hey, speaking of dragons: you think we'll ever see more of them? And as for the griffons, the Idol was a symbol for them that just caused them to be completely apathetic about their country and not care about anyone else once they lost it.
>>
>>25649698
>>25649670
yeah, I have to agee with this. Some of the things in the episode felt pretty cringeworthy though.
>>
>>25649673
>We've already seen both Gilda, Gustave le grand and the gryphon teams for the pony games things, and none of them seemed to be very obsessed with bits
>implying every member of a race had to conform to their race's stereotypes

Spike is a dragon, yet save for one time he hasn't gone full DRAGON SMASH on everyone.

Also, Gilda for a fact HATED living in Griffonstone and was actively trying to get out of the town by selling cakes to raise money. I'd say it's fair that griffons who have lives outside of the capital don't act like the natives.
>>
>>25649698
Exactly. It was fun, awesome, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't screaming the entire episode.
>>25649719
They're only cringeworthy if you don't embrace the autism. We're all on this ride together, might as well have some fun.
>>
>>25649716
I hope so, real adult dragons, not teenage or city living dragons complaining about oppression against them.
And I got the imprssion they had been like that before the idol came around, and it actually had some kind of magic like the heart stone thingy in the crystal empire.

>>25649733
When Gilda was the only gryphon in the episode that didnt fit into the stereotype then I have to say that it felt implied, yes.

But you do have a point about gryphons outside of their homelands.
>>
SoL, Cutie Marxist, Make New Friends but Keep Discord, the applebloom episode where she keeps having the same nightmare, and Luna's episode. Also The One Where PP Knows and Amending Fences. Also Detective Rara. I can't believe I almost forgot the one where the CMC got their CMs.

I liked the vast majority of them but those stand out. I think the Bloom and Gloom episode is particularly undermentioned.
>>
>>25649836
>I think the Bloom and Gloom episode is particularly undermentioned.

Bloom and Gloom is underrated as fuck around here, but the fact is that it's a satisfying conclusion to the whole Luna and the CMC thing.
>>
>>25649854
yeah, it was a pretty good episode. I didnt find it super memorable though.
Overall this was a really strong season, definitely more hits than misses.
>>
>>25649854
Same guy as before.I agree and I really liked the 'Groundhog (Day) Nightmare' idea.
>>
>>25647607
do princesses dream of electric sheep. By far my favorite.
>>
File: whydragontownisbad.png (37 KB, 1868x222) Image search: [Google]
whydragontownisbad.png
37 KB, 1868x222
>>25649824
Dear God, not that fucking shitty comic. There's so many ways to do a similar story that aren't fucking garbage. Especially considering it's now EU that batponies and dragons live together.
>>
Slice of Life is way higher than I'd think it would be. With all the hate it gets for being "literally memes the episode" I thought it would be more in the middle.
>>
>>25649932
I only got knowledge of it from the preview and some talk on here and from friends. I am glad I had stopped looking at the comics long before that.
>>
I also really liked Brotherhood Social and I was sure I was gonna hate it. I am an only child and was always sure that was a good thing until that episode gave me the heavy feelsies.

Caste Sweet Castle was also feelsies. Now that I go over it S5 is solid.
>>
>>25650008
I wonder if the finale is so high up is because it was so recent, or because it was a decent set of episodes.
Personally I found the finale on a little higher level than the start of the season. not the strongest, but still not bad.
The ending where all the ponies staring at you was kind of creepy to me though. That they broke the 4th wall like that felt odd when it wasnt just pinkie pie doing it.
>>
>slice of maymays that high
>>
>>25650068
I'm still stuck on only one of the alternate timelines, changelings, contributing to the narrative. I liked the episode mind you, but it felt like they were dishing all those other ones out just because they could instead of tying it all together.
I'm hype for Twilight having a pupil like she was for Celestia now. Be fun to see how that turns out.
>>
>>25649932
That sounds depressing but was it really that bad? My suspicion is aroused whenever 'racist' gets casually tossed around. Still, not sad I avoided the comics. Were they good at first?
>>
>>25650025
>>25650110
You guys should at least give the holiday special that came out a few days ago a look.
It was pretty fun and has had better reception than most of the comics have had lately.
>>25631873
>>
>>25650106
I hadnt thought of twilight getting a pupil now. that kind of makes me feel better about this all.

Tbh im having fun in this thread, I havent had anyone at all to talk about fandom shit in a long while, and had been avoiding sites like this one because I have an unhealthy abhorration towards spoilers. It didnt help that it took me almost all week before I finally could see the finale, so I am sure I missed 90% of the discussion about it.

man, I really need some IRL people to be around. the isolation is starting to take its toll on me.
>>
Why the hell is Lost Treasure and Tanks for the Memories so high up while the obviously superior Castle Sweet Castle and Bloom and Gloom are down so low? Foul taste.
>>
>>25650154
Thanks and noted.

>>25650160
Feel lucky that you missed a bunch of retards complaining that the Sombra timeline was 'edgy' and 'grimdark'.
>>
>>25650110
It really truly was. The author genuinely tried to go for a Ferguson analog and completely buttfucked dragon lore in the series by having dragons live in a pony ghetto.
>>
File: TwilightFortyKeks.jpg (17 KB, 233x205) Image search: [Google]
TwilightFortyKeks.jpg
17 KB, 233x205
In 400+ votes, 0 for Princess spike.

Just proves how shit it was.
>>
>>25650160
> I really need some IRL people to be around
If you're looking for nor/mlp/eople to be around then good luck with that. There was a map thread with a good amount of participation, so maybe someone close by was kind enough to leave a throwaway email there.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1723348#
>>
>>25650164
The poll is for favorite episodes, so it's likely that those episodes are considered good but very few people would list them as actual favorites
>>
>>25650182
It kind of was a bit jarring to bring a full on war with enslaved ponies like that into the show though.
On the plus side: Awesome, Dark Eldar ponies are canon!
>>
File: -mlp- episode ranking 4.png (301 KB, 1863x2375) Image search: [Google]
-mlp- episode ranking 4.png
301 KB, 1863x2375
>>25650195
I'm curious where at the bottom it's going to sit when I start taking in lists for the next version of this next weekend.
List I made has it 4th from the bottom with EqG, FG, and SAYS below it.
>>
File: QgVYQIA.jpg (754 KB, 1280x713) Image search: [Google]
QgVYQIA.jpg
754 KB, 1280x713
>amending fences is top
Well done, /mlp/. Your good tastes make me proud.
>>
>>25650184
Please someone tell me this is a lie. This may give me cancer.

>>25650195
But you can select as many as you'd like. Fair enough I suppose.

>>25650209
It was jarring in the best way possible. You know the movie will have to be a little "darker" by necessity right? Because it's longer.
>>
>>25650191
I'm telling you, it had a response without precedent.
>>
>>25650182
I liked the episode were sombra appears and dominate celestia ponut
>>
>>25650194
Oh look the closest one is at least 2 hours trainride away. how typical.

>>25650191
How can What About Discord be higher than the Hoofields and the Castle episode thats what I want to know.
>>
>>25650238
Oh, how I wish I could say that the #notalldragons OC girl dragon that was a SombraxLuna shipper that complained that ponies blame dragons for everything while simultaneously blaming ponies for everything wasn't real.
>>
>>25650110
>Still, not sad I avoided the comics. Were they good at first?

Yes. The first comic arc in particular absolutely nailed the dynamic of the Mane 6 as they traveled across the land to defeat Chrysalis. And if there's one character Cook can write well and Price blows out of the park it's Chrysalis. That first issue and the ones that immediately followed proved that the comics would be able to interest both kids and adults.

The following Nightmare Rarity arc is great too, and really the only thing that sours it is the Nightmare creatures on the moon stuff. Spike is pretty fucking great in it, and it actually goes into his relationship with Rarity a little bit.

After that things started going downhill for the series, hitting rock bottom at the Bulls arc. However the first micro-series was sort of the opposite, starting out extremely shitty and gradually getting better. Some highlights are the Rarity issue done by Cook and Price, the Celestia issue, and the Luna issue.

Next is the Friends Forever series, which is pretty up and down in my opinion. It's based around putting two characters together in a situation and seeing what happens. My personal favorites are the Pinkie Pie/Twilight issue and the following Rarity/Babs issue.

All in all the comics are worth a look, especially if you need a pony fix over the hiatus. As with the show there are ups and downs, and you have to dive in to find the nuggets of goodness.
>>
>>25650238
>>>25650209 (You)
>It was jarring in the best way possible. You know the movie will have to be a little "darker" by necessity right? Because it's longer.

Yeah, I guess. But hey I got two years to get used to it, so no need to worry now.
>>
>>25650164
Dude, Castle Sweet Castle wasn't that great. The song was shitty and awkward (AND WE'LL MAKE AND WE'LL MAKE AND WE'LL MAKE), and the solution the M6 came up with to pay homage to the old library was fucking retarded (Hurr lets literally destroy the last remnants of the treebrary and hang the corpse from the ceiling.)

The best part of the episode, Twilight and Spike visiting the tree, was rushed as fuck and didn't have as much emotional impact as it would have if it was longer. I mean, it's nice that the writers threw us a bone like this, but it just didn't cut it.
>>
>>25650271
I am actually get stomach pains in response to this.

>>25650279
Thanks for the summary. The first comic series sounds sort of like Star Wars EU: good at first and then become shit. Gotta say the last FF was pretty bad. I'll keep what you said in mind. Maybe somebody should screencap this.

Some questions though: 1) What do you mean by 'micro-series'? I keep hearing 'micro' in the context of the comics but I never got that explained.

2) How can I purchase comics anonymously? I am such a faggot that I am both paranoid of revealing my power level and I refuse to steal.
>>
>>25650348
>the solution the M6 came up with to pay homage to the old library was fucking retarded (Hurr lets literally destroy the last remnants of the treebrary and hang the corpse from the ceiling.)

So what? It was a burnt out wreck and they turned it into something beautiful and put memory-crystals on it.
>>
>>25650426
there was a specific series that was pretty mcuh called the microseries of 10 issues focusing on the main six, the princesses an spike, one got an issue each.
>>
>>25650426
Oh, just ignore the Luna/Spike series.

1. For the first year or so of the comics the secondary series that went along with the main line were called "Micro" stories. I believe they only made nine of them before they stopped. Now the companion series is "Friends Forever," which usually stars two characters just going on an adventure together.

As I mentioned above, the shitty Spike/Luna one is a FF and it is garbage.

2. Don't ever pay for the comics. IDW is a very shit company that hires people who don't give a shit about the source material and an editor who hasn't done his job in years. If you read them please do not give IDW money for them.
>>
>>25650426
>What do you mean by 'micro-series'? I keep hearing 'micro' in the context of the comics but I never got that explained.
The series before the Friends Forevers. They focused on one pony, except for the CMC one, per comic.

>How can I purchase comics anonymously? I am such a faggot that I am both paranoid of revealing my power level and I refuse to steal.
Digitals or physical copies?
>>
>>25650426

The "microseries" was a side series that each focused on a single character for one issue each. There were 10 issues.

I dunno man. Probably just order the books online somewhere? Honestly, buying them from a comic book shop irl isn't that bad unless you have social anxiety issues or something. Otherwise man up and either pirate or buy online.
>>
>>25650458
didnt the director of IDW said something along the lines that the writers were not as important as the artists because comics are mainly a visual medium and not a storytelling one?
>>
>>25650458
I thought the lousy one that got posted here had Pinkie Pie baking for royalty. There was a pony with a cutie mark that was obviously lifted from Google Images.

>>25650460
Digital.

Thanks to you both.
>>
>>25650426
if you want digital, yayponies got them. I am not sure if they have all of them, but most of them should be on there.
>>
>>25650481
The art isn't even good if you take that into mind. And even though he corrected himself, several of the writers and artists on the MLP IDW staff agreed and one even said his job on the comics wasn't important compared to the artist's.

There are a lot of lousy comics these days. Good ones are exceptions to the rule of "IDW comics generally fucking suck."

Considering how shit the art is in the comics these days, I don't know why IDW is so fucking dumb. Just use yayponies.eu.
>>
>>25650497
>Digital.
If you decide not to pay for them then definately Yayponies like >>25650519 said, but if you're set on buying them then https://www.comixology.com/ would be best since I don't think they suffer from the iTunes compression.
>>
>>25650540
I feel sad that while I am not a comic collector, I would rather have the physical copies than a digital one. I just dont like reading comic page styles on a computer screen all that much.
>>
>>25650600
I have pretty much every comic on iTunes, but the ones I like I end up buying again physically for the same reason as you.
They look much much better in print than on a screen, even without the shitty iTunes compression, with how the pages and colors are.
>>
>>25650622
In that case I might change my mind and go physical.
>>
>>25650635
In that case I don't have as much experience outside a LCS, but http://www.tfaw.com/ is where I went to at first before I found my local comic shop.
>>
1. Amending Fences
2. Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep
3. Slice of Life

Overall this season was hard to pick favorites out of, not because it was particularly good or bad in comparison to other season but because it had a large selections of okayish to good episodes rather then really stand out good ones in the midst of many mediocre ones. There were no Pinkie Prides, Lesson Zeros or Party of Ones this season.

It's hard to argue against Amending Fences as the top pick, it had a nice moral that was executed well while giving some time to address some unanswered questions and background characters. The only criticism I could give it is it's moral does kinda have the same problem as A Friend in Deed where it feels like it's just "harass the shit out of people until they're you're friend" however I understand that's not really what this episode was going for and it did a good job otherwise.

dPDoES was a fun episode with the always at least somewhat interesting plot device of exploring dreams. Luna's ark is really what makes this episode memorable, as people have pointed out her development to eventually forgive herself mirrors the development the CMC have gone through during the last two seasons, that Luna assisted with, which is a brilliant way to tie up the Nightmare Moon story-line.

This episode isn't perfect, but everyone gets way to assblasted about Slice of Life, I really don't get it, because it memes and panders to fans makes it automatically bad? The whole memeing and addressing Bronies thing really isn't new, MLP has been doing it since Derpy starting talking, why not enjoy it, the show's made to sell toys for god's sake. It feels like the same old bullshit that people want every episode to be deep and meaningful and full of metaphors and crap, it's a cartoon, they're allowed to be funny, they're allowed to be self-aware they're allowed to pander to fans and not get shit on for it.
>>
Alright who was the fucking idiot who picked Princess Spike?
>>
File: 1390084527447.jpg (59 KB, 471x577) Image search: [Google]
1390084527447.jpg
59 KB, 471x577
>All those votes for Slice of Shit
>>
Fave song up for vote now:

http://strawpoll.me/6172214
>>
>>25651630
>http://strawpoll.me/6172214
I cant even remember most of the songs.
>>
>>25651680
Well then don't vote you dolt
>>
>>25651680
>>25651630
Honestly this season had very weak songs.

>>25650979
Even rabid Spikefans hated that shit.
>>
>>25649932
What was so bad about the bulls arc? Isn't it just western shenanigans? How is it racist?
>>
>>25650979
I thought it was a funny episode
>>
>>25651363
Damn right. Lots of people with a sense of humor out there. Feel free to join in.
>>
File: 1445280986151.jpg (60 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1445280986151.jpg
60 KB, 640x640
>>25651774
The bulls arc was just shit. Twilight didn't do anything to stop the villains even after they kicked AJ through a wall because they didn't have magic, despite having no problems hurting non magical creatures before.

>>25651787
Jesus Christ what the fuck is wrong with you? You're part of the problem.
>>
>>25651630
I thought all the songs from CotLM were pretty solid, but besides that the songs this season were mediocre.
>>
>>25651911
>Twilight didn't do anything to stop the villains even after they kicked AJ through a wall because they didn't have magic,

Now I remember seeing that here. Oh lawd that was terrible.

>>25651915
Maybe, but Razzle Dazzle compensates for all of that. Magic Inside wasn't bad either. "Our Town" was alright.
>>
File: 1360307409911.jpg (35 KB, 478x357) Image search: [Google]
1360307409911.jpg
35 KB, 478x357
>>25651911
>>
>>25651933
>>25651911
I just remember a quick fic someone made to make a point of how stupid that was, that involved them getting raped. man I wasnt ready for that one, fucked my shit up for a good week. Yes im a fucking pussy when it comes to certain subjects.
>>
>>25651877
More like shit taste
>>
>>25652012
No we have excellent taste and a sense of humor. Go be a fucking edge fag somewhere else.
>>
File: 1368661731596.png (253 KB, 948x1000) Image search: [Google]
1368661731596.png
253 KB, 948x1000
>>25652074
>edge fag
>>
>>25651680
this song list made me wonder if there has been any countess coloratura porn where she is using her background dancers as her private harem in a gangbang.
>>
>>25647607
I'll tell you the worst: Scaremaster. Fuck its stupid filthy fucking anime references.

I guess the best would be Bloom and Gloom. I don't know.
>>
File: crt glimmer face.jpg (901 KB, 1280x713) Image search: [Google]
crt glimmer face.jpg
901 KB, 1280x713
>>25647607
>What About Discord near the fucking bottom
Wow. Literal shit taste.
>>
>>25652258
it was a boring and awkward episode where I felt like twilight, annoyed by people talking about inside jokes in front of you. That shit just doesnt make for a good episode.
>>
>>25652258
>>25652285
>in b4 someone posts the Dusedau tweet about how that's the point of the episode

So he wrote an episode that by its very nature is hard to watch. Not only that, but one that completely buttfucks what little character Discord has by again having him treat friendship as a means to an end rather than a special thing.
>>
File: glimmer face full.png (170 KB, 1500x975) Image search: [Google]
glimmer face full.png
170 KB, 1500x975
>>25652285
>>25652298
It wasn't even hard to watch. Spike trying to sing last season was hard to watch, this came nowhere near that.
The only part where I almost cringed slightly was when Twilight decided to have an autism fit at the end and start crying.
When they all hugged at the end laughing was pretty terrible too.
Other than that I thought Discord's behavior was funny, especially his cluelessness at the end, just because of how stereotypical it was.
>>
>>25652298
Didn't Three is Company already confirm that Discord uses his relationship with Twilight to test her in various ways? Just because you're someone's friend doesn't mean you can't act capricious.
>>
>>25652406
not directly hard to watch as much as just boring since very little happened. The whole thing was basically
>whats so funny
>you wont get it you wasnt there
>tell me
>no
>oh fine whatever.

and that was it. that was the episode.
>>
File: 1444939405583.png (93 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1444939405583.png
93 KB, 645x773
>>25652406
Yeah no, it wasn't enjoyable.

>>25652432
The entire reason he actually tried to make friends with the rest of the girls minus Twilight was just to fuck with her. He wanted to make her feel bad and when called out on it tried to present it as some sort of lesson. It didn't work when it was turned back on him.

It's inconsistent with how he was in MNFBKD, because there he was fiercely defensive of a friend. In WAD he just threw away trust of five friends just to mildly piss off Twilight a little bit. We get it Discord, you really want to fuck Twilight.

>tfw Discord episodes can just boil down to "IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO" half of the time
>>
File: implying.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>25652461
>Yeah no, it wasn't enjoyable.
Uh, yes, yes it was.

>>25652441
Looks like you missed the humor.
>>
>>25652461
not to mention how it kind of threw out the lession he learned in the season 4 finale.
>>
Why does everyone like Amending Fences so much?
>>
>>25652794
Because it was a good episode
>>
File: Saddens me.png (355 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Saddens me.png
355 KB, 1280x720
I marked all the episodes I gave 9/10 or higher, and then when it went to the results I spotted an episode I completely forgot to mark.
>>
File: 1423814601820.png (778 KB, 634x846) Image search: [Google]
1423814601820.png
778 KB, 634x846
>>25647607
>crusaders of the lost mark so high
it was shit
SHIT
H
I
T
>>
>>25647607

> meme episode in the top 10
Kill me.

> What About Discord? at 18
I have to wonder if that episode didn't hit a little too close to home for some people here.

Other than that, I'm surprised the finale did better than the opener. I'm surprised Brotherhooves Social and Scaremaster aren't higher, and Tanks for the Memories isn't lower.

Though, the inherent problem with asking favorites instead of ranking is that divisive episodes will always outscore plain mediocre ones.
>>
>>25648914
>>25649454
I kind of feel like that with all Pinkie Pie episodes
>>
>>25647607
Shit I knew I should've included The Hooffields and McColts while voting for other episodes. It's not the best episode of this season, but it doesn't deserve to be in last place either.
>>
>>25653538
>worse than Princess Spike
>>
File: 381651.gif (2 MB, 432x365) Image search: [Google]
381651.gif
2 MB, 432x365
>slice of life
>in the top 5
you have shit taste /mlp/
SHIT taste
it wasn't even a slice of life episode
>>
>>25653538
>>25653550
Hooffields and McColts was better than Made in Manehattan in terms of a map episode.
>>
File: discord9.png (100 KB, 623x510) Image search: [Google]
discord9.png
100 KB, 623x510
>no love for Castle Sweet Castle
I went into this knowing that /mlp/ in 2015 has the exact opposite of taste and boy do you not fucking disappoint.

It's like, hey, what does new /mlp/ like? Oh of course, it's everything old /mlp/ would have hated and literally nothing else. Every time.
>>
>>25653553
Except it literally was. It was about various background ponies doing shit around Ponyville. What the fuck do you think slice of life means?
>>
>Rarity Investigates in top ten
So /mlp/ DOES have good taste. That was the best episode of the Rarity trio.
>>
>>25651787
Please kill yourself.
>>
>>25653598
It wasn't that bad of an episode anon
>>
>>25653604
This is why we can't have nice things. Because you faggots like shit-teir episodes. Kill yourself for the love of God please.
>>
File: 1394689915810.png (86 KB, 299x209) Image search: [Google]
1394689915810.png
86 KB, 299x209
>>25653609
What was so bad about it that makes you so upset?
>>
>>25653567
>Castle Sweet Castle
>3 seconds actually devoted to mourning the tree
>the rest is LOL WUT DOES TWILIGHT LIKE LETS DO WHAT WE LIKE
>digging up and destroying the remains of the tree
>meme manestyle

kill yourself
>>
>>25653567
>being this much of a contrarian faggot
>>
>>25653567
I'm right there with you. It was a pretty good episode that gets shit on because
>le hasjew toy castle shilling
>>
>>25647607
>le ebin maymay episode has more votes than Tanks for the Memories, The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows or Make New Friends but Keep Discord
Jesus, did someone link this poll the Ponychan or Reddit?
>>
>>25653737
That's half of /mlp/ at this point, have you browsed this board lately?
>>
>>25653737
>Tanks for the Memories
Shit. 20 minutes of Dash acting like an autistic child. Also don't forget LE WINTER IS COMING LOL

>The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows
Screeching retard Pinkie and more super bland Cadence. Wacky waving inflatable arm tube waving Pinkie was a highlight though.

>Make New Friends
Agreed on this one. Fucking excellent Discord writing and it has my eyebrow waifu Tree Hugger
>>
>>25647607
>http://strawpoll.me/6170164
>89 votes for Slice of Life
You people have shit taste. That was the most cringe inducing episode of the show.
Well.
It is tied with Equestria Games for most cringe, but that was cringy for different reasons.
>>
>>25653796
How was it cringe? I always hear people say this but it never adds up. People act like they had Lyra and Bonbon making out onscreen for 20 minutes while 20 Percent Cooler by Alex S played in the background.
>>
File: 1448581677219.jpg (48 KB, 469x505) Image search: [Google]
1448581677219.jpg
48 KB, 469x505
>>25653777
It's like you people are unable to appreciate internal conflict and just mistake it for bad writing. TftM represented going through the steps of letting a loved one go and all you can take from it was "lol dash is a child." You and your shit tier waifu can rot in hell next to Scaremaster.

>>25648633
>>25650926
>>25651877
>Thinking this was good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ5aO0F53Rk
You've gone too far.
>>
>>25653805
see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDv7k6xk6xE
>>
>>25653805
Literally the entire episode was one big 22 minute pandering fair for the fandom.
The entire episode had me cringing with how hard they were trying to make the autists happy by making their headcanon's canon and adding in stupid stuff on top of it.
I WISH it had Lyra and Bon Bon make out. At least then I could get some enjoyment out of it with the shitstorm that would erupt.
>>
>>25653737
>The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows
You mean the episode that was a full 20 minutes of Pinkie Pie being a complete fucking autist?
>>
File: twistanza.png (200 KB, 500x471) Image search: [Google]
twistanza.png
200 KB, 500x471
>people actually surprised that Slice of Meme gets so many votes
You guys seem to forget that at least 65% of this place's visitors are literally hugboxing EqD-tier bronies. Of course their pandering episode is gonna be somewhere near the top.
>>
>>25653825
The fact that the entire episode is about her complaining about her pet going to sleep ruined the allegory for me.
I saw what they were trying to do but the pet going to sleep for only 3 fucking months thing just keeps me from being invested in Dash's conflict at all.
>>
>>25653854
>surprised that Slice of Meme gets so many votes
>surprised
>implying
We aren't surprised. We are just pointing out how shit their taste is.
>>
>>25653825
>>25653835

It was a comedic representation of how the musical styles of Octavia and Vinyl clashed. I don't see any problem with it. Does it irk you that much that a DJ pony is into dubstep? I bet you faggots would have loved it if it was some shitty metal montage.

>>25653839
>Literally the entire episode was one big 22 minute pandering fair for the fandom
It was the 100th episode. Of course it was going to celebrate the fandom that let it get this far in the first place.

And the sad thing is I know a lot of the motherfuckers that hate this episode are self-hating ponyfuckers that used to participate in fandom memes back in the day. Can't handle the bantz I guess.
>>
>>25653854
I'm keeping myself in denial because I don't want to believe that /mlp/ has gotten so shitty
>>
>>25653871
>It was the 100th episode. Of course it was going to celebrate the fandom that let it get this far in the first place.
Or it could have celebrated the things that are actually good about the fucking show itself
>>
File: 1234123413241234132.gif (273 KB, 396x607) Image search: [Google]
1234123413241234132.gif
273 KB, 396x607
>All these niggers getting mad that people liked Slice of Life
>>
File: S1 nostalgia thread.png (397 KB, 468x854) Image search: [Google]
S1 nostalgia thread.png
397 KB, 468x854
>>25653854
Why is everyone here so quick to label anyone with different tastes as an outsider?

Can you fucks not handle the fact that /mlp/ is not an echochamber/hivemind that hates the fandom as much as you do? I mean if you hate Slice of Life why are you even still watching the show. Clearly ponies aren't for you anymore.
>>
>>25653871
I would have loved it if Vinyl started playing an accordion or something.

>It was the 100th episode. Of course it was going to celebrate the fandom that let it get this far in the first place.
You say this like it is a good thing.
>self-hating ponyfuckers that used to participate in fandom memes back in the day
>self hating
>everyone who knows me knows I jack off to colored ponies and I don't attempt to hide it
>back in the day
>I didn't start watching until the ass end of 2012.
I didn't participate in jack shit.
>>
>>25653871
Why do you prefer fandom memes being regurgitated in the show when you could have an actual episode instead? Hell, it wasn't even celebrating the fandom the whole way through like you said. That Bon Bon bullshit about being a super spy had no connection to any fanwork, but they just threw it in because "whoa so random hue hue". Slice of Life is just a mess of bad writing from both the staff and the fandom.
>>
>>25653886
It has. We used to have horse porn to keep the fucking casuals out.
>>
File: NormiesGetOut.gif (533 KB, 367x206) Image search: [Google]
NormiesGetOut.gif
533 KB, 367x206
>>25653923
>All the normalfags who constantly throw a fit anytime someone post a winking mare vag these days
I miss the horse porn threads.
>>
>>25653891
>Or it could have celebrated the things that are actually good about the fucking show itself
But it did. Did you fucking miss the point of the episode while you were sperging out over fandom memes?

The character interactions were fucking top notch, especially between Matilda and Steven Magnet. The fucking moral was that every character can be the star of their own story, which was basically the show staff thanking the fandom for liking the show so much that they create stories about background characters.

>>25653920
>Waaah I hate fandom memes in the show
>Bon Bon being a secret agent wasn't a fandom meme I hate it!
Good thing to know that a background character with literally no canon personality being given one by the showrunners is now "bad writing".
>>
>>25653938
>implying Bon Bon's "character development" wasn't a half assed buildup for an unfunny joke
Seriously, it's not the building a character I'm upset about, it's how bad it was done. Look at how the staff wrote Cherry Jubilee, Fancy Pants or Treehugger. They got about the same screen time and they were good character with defined personalities. Bon Bon is a candy store owner but also a spy cause she has time for both, but wait the pony she lives with never knew the whole time? Also she has a long standing rivalry with SugarCube Corner, we just never heard about that until now. Throwing all this different shit on at once doesn't make her character good, it just makes her character seem fake.
>>
File: 13212312412.png (58 KB, 246x207) Image search: [Google]
13212312412.png
58 KB, 246x207
>>25653900
>obligatory "mindlessly like the show or get out" post
Every. Single. Time.
It's like you guys have been taking lessons from Barneyfag and now constantly monitor /mlp/ for people posting about not liking certain aspects of the show, and wait for the opportunity to tell them to get out.
>>
>>25654024
Dude, it's clear that they were only going to go full fanwank for one single episode, so they had to cram some shit in there.

They literally did not give a crap about Bon Bon until it was time to write the episode. I feel like any sudden changes can be excused, because they didn't even do anything with her beforehand on purpose.

Sure it was rushed, but it's obvious that they won't be able to devote more episodes to background ponies, especially when they have such a large cast already. I think this time they should get a pass.
>>
>>25654049
I just don't see why someone would watch something they actively hate. To be honest, that seems like the more Barneyfag thing to me.
>>
>>25654057
Whether the writers deserve a pass or not doesn't matter, I still think the episode was shit.
>>
>>25654049
Nah, the ones doing that are the rulefags around the site who keeps redirecting everything not 100% board related, like capeshit on /co/ or /a/ games on /v/ or god forbid /mlp/ on /mlp/
>>
>>25654071
They gave Bon Bon a personality outside of HURR LOVES LYRA. That's fucking good enough for me.
>>
>>25654065
>like the majority of the season
>rip on one of the bottom ten episodes in the shows history
>>lol you watch a show you hate. You know you can leave any time right?

Not even that guy, but are you trying to look retarded?
>>
>>25654099
such a shame they're still conflicted with Voldemort-strabismus pony's name. Between herxDoctor and DJxOctavia which were more inclined with their respective ship fanon, I don't know which one felt the most fanservicy.
>>
>>25654107
>rip on one of the bottom ten episodes in the shows history
>bottom ten

On who's list :^)
>>
>>25654118
Anyone with taste
>>
File: 1448702669132.jpg (24 KB, 500x398) Image search: [Google]
1448702669132.jpg
24 KB, 500x398
>>25654129
Hey, perhaps we should make a poll asking people what was the 10 worst episodes of all time from the show and see what happens. I'm sure you'll be satisfied then.
>>
>>25654137
>Anyone with taste
>/mlp/
Okay you got me, I kekked.
>>
File: 1449206621763.png (262 KB, 836x930) Image search: [Google]
1449206621763.png
262 KB, 836x930
>>25647607
>Tanks For The Memories and The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows
>and The Cutie Map with Scare Master, I guess
Amending Fences and Bloom and Gloom, too, but I didn't vote for them. I probably should have. Those were nice.
First part of season finale was great, second was underwhelming so they cancel each other out, I guess?
Also, Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep? was a better pandaring episode than Slice of Life due to the former being an actual episode while the latter was a pile of quick sketches.
>>
>>25653854
It's disgusting and I will deride them forever.

>>25653886
It's a sad fate.

>>25654099
No, they didn't. Backstory != personality, what she got was a half-assed movie reference. Clever, but still shitty considering how blatantly forced it was

>>25653938
>The character interactions were fucking top notch
They were reduced to literal 3 minute sections and since we never actually got character development or established personality, we got no interaction since we had nothing to work with.

And this is still ignoring one of the biggest cases of writing failure seen in the series: pointless plot divergences. Doctor spends a quarter of the episode and most of his screentime bowling, but then the resolution was entirely irrelevant to that scene and outright wasted our time.
>every character can be the star of their own story
We didn't get a story, we got half assed memes with the continuity and fluidity of a tumblr comic, we learned nothing about any of the characters: Roseluck and friends got two meme lines, Amethyst had great potential but she just fucks off, Lyra and Bonbon was jarring and forced as fuck, and Vinyl/Oct was crap through and through, I don't even know what we gained by watching that.

The entire premise is shit too, why wouldn't they just go around and tell everyone the issue and confusion, the flower arrangements hadn't arrived so clearly things could have been delayed.

To make my point, as far as a standalone, without reference or context, episode goes, it was total shit. If we view it with context, it's a shit episode with forced fandom memes. Why didn't they honor the fandom with just a really good episode, focusing on S1 like aspects which endeared us in the first place? They could have poised several BG characters, given them personalities, and given them their own story, no fighting monsters, but merely living their lives with strife and problems an average pony would face. Hell, they could have put subtle references in there too.
>>
>They could have poised several BG characters, given them personalities, and given them their own story, no fighting monsters, but merely living their lives with strife and problems an average pony would face.

But that's literally what they did. The bugbear fighting was taken care of by the M6. Did you not watch the episode?
>>
>>25654217
Meant as a reply to

>>25654210
>>
>>25654217
>But that's literally what they did
No, they didn't do anything since each character only got around 3 minutes of screentime. Did you watch the episode? Most of it was spent on establishing the problem and making memes.
>Lyra and Bonbon get in a completely illogical and idiotic argument that feels forced. Why? References!
>Flower ponies who have to make bouquets for everyone (look at the place, they got a fuck ton of flowers): two repeat meme lines
>Amethyst used to be a good organizer, what does she do: nobody knows
>Vinyl/Oct are musicians who live in the same house, what do they do: play music or something, with one character literally not saying a single line
>Doctor has to prep his suit, what occurs: he finds some ponies who can solve his issue, spend several minutes on this scene, then have it fail and resolve the issue by him simply choosing different apparel
I don't know what constitutes a story for you, but this was not one. I would have preferred a story, not an incoherent mash of slop centered around the outline of a possibly good story.
>>
File: 1441998934785.png (313 KB, 954x1023) Image search: [Google]
1441998934785.png
313 KB, 954x1023
>>25654243
This is true. 20 minutes simply isn't enough to do something coherent with, what, around eight to ten characters? It could have worked if they focused on one to three characters and their journey from start to finish, letting them interact with others throughout the episode, which is exactly what was happening in the first five or so minutes, but then we were shown completely unrelated stuff that came out of nowhere and didn't go anywhere.
>>
>>25654243
>not mentioning Doctor Whooves magic flowers that were introduced in the beginning of the episode and then followed up on at the end
>not mentioning Matilda and Cranky's conversation about lavish weddings
They had a coherent story. You just choose to ignore it because you're allergic to things the fandom likes.

But to address your points...
>>Lyra and Bonbon get in a completely illogical and idiotic argument that feels forced. Why? References!
Why was it illogical? If someone has been keeping a major secret from you for a while and you consider them your very best friend you'd be steamed too. Also they tie into the main story, as they're decorating for the wedding.

>>Flower ponies who have to make bouquets for everyone (look at the place, they got a fuck ton of flowers): two repeat meme lines
That's what they're known for. I see nothing wrong with a quick shoutout like that.

>>Amethyst used to be a good organizer, what does she do: nobody knows
This could have been expanded upon, I agree.

>>Vinyl/Oct are musicians who live in the same house, what do they do: play music or something, with one character literally not saying a single line
Is this even a complaint? Vinyl has never talked before. If she did now you'd probably complain that it was 'forced' and came out of nowhere. The part they played was simple enough to understand. Octavia had to write a piece for the upcoming wedding.

>>Doctor has to prep his suit, what occurs: he finds some ponies who can solve his issue, spend several minutes on this scene, then have it fail and resolve the issue by him simply choosing different apparel

I felt like this was good writing for his personality. He seems like the kind of slightly bumbling pony to go on pointless sidequests like this because he lacks common sense (Demonstrated by his roundabout thinking with the bowling balls). That whole situation was made simply to showcase his thinking.

--cont
>>
>>25654297
To conclude, literally everything that happened in the episode had something to do with the big wedding. That was the story, the backdrop, so to speak. They simply let the characters loose on that backdrop and followed them en route to the ceremony.

Just because you're mad that the show dared reference the fandom and wanted to say thanks for out support doesn't mean you should willfully ignore the fact that it DID have a coherent narrative, or as coherent as one could get in 22 minutes.

Yes, they referenced fandom memes, but they built on them instead of simply parading them about (Stephen Magnet going on epic adventures with Cranky in the past, Secret agent Sweetie Drops). The fact that a few angry autists here can't believe many here like the episode says more about their taste than those that liked it. Unsurprisingly, hating fun is in the minority around here.
>>
>>25654049
>Obligatory hyperbolic misinterpretation for the sake of enabling the aforementioned echochamber/hivemind
Furthermore, you make yourselves sound like whiny cunts by basically saying "I'm allowed to criticize the show, but YOU aren't allowed to criticize my criticism".

Also, just because we're spreading hyperbole ITT:
>Obligatory "mindlessly hate the show or get out" post
>>
>>25654297
I can't address all your points right now, but if the thread is still alive, I'll come back and do a proper job, for now, I'll say what I can, quickly.
>They had a coherent story
Okay, I concede, it was coherent, in that it had a static goal and some aspects which remained relevant throughout, but constant diverges between characters is not apt writing, it jumbles everything up and takes away characters before we get to see anything out of them. Amethyst is a perfect example, you'd think they'd do something with her considering they bothered to cast a VA.
>That's what they're known for
Yes, they're known, we know they said that, why did we repeat it? That's not making a character.
>That whole situation was made simply to showcase his thinking.
Which is establishing, it does nothing to further his mini plot, thus, it just wastes time. I thought he would bowl and prep his suit, whilst doing so, we could have gotten just as much characterization out of this. Instead, it's a dead lead.
>it DID have a coherent narrative
It was still jumbled, the problem with introducing 8 brand new ponies in 22 minutes is that their scenes last no more than a few minutes, as soon as we touch one character, we have to move on. It feels rushed.

I have to go, but I will continue this later, plus I can't fit much more in the post
>>
>>25654399
I actually agree with you on a lot of things, but I still had tons of fun. Maybe I just have shit taste.
>>
>>25654297
>>25654321
The problem with the plot is that it feels like it's only there to string the references together. It's like they listed all the references they wanted to make, decided a story line, and meshed it together. Less that the character interactions happened because of the story, but that the story is just a means for the interactions to be there, if that makes sense.

You can really see it with the Lyra/Bonbon scene. The way it played out was just strange.
>Oh hey, we're doing wedding stuff too, now time for some random stuff.
It just didn't feel like it needed to be in the episode, other than to have those characters be there. Octavia and Vinyl had the same problem. Octavia could have had some character, like having a story about getting her music prepared, but all they did was give her that duet with Vinyl and then have them ride through town and jump the shark. Same with the flower sisters; they could have had them do something, to at least give them character, but they had them there just to freak out. It was just pointless, like with the Amethyst scene, which was weird because it felt like they were going to do something with here.

Then there was the whole bowling scene, which was only there because of the Lebowski reference. If they wanted to explain the Doctor's personality, they could have done something that followed the wedding plot instead of the random bowling scene. But they didn't because of the reference. I think they did his character right the most actually. His first scene actually felt like it flowed well with the story and did introduce the firework flowers like you said. Even as someone who really doesn't like Doctor Who and rolled his eyes at the way he spoke, I still think the scene worked and was at least a decent way to make the reference.
>>
>>25654724
The episode wasn't bad because it made references to the fandom, it was that to fit all the references in, they made a mess of an episode. It probably would have been received terribly if they had gone with other random background characters and done the same thing. It's just excused because the characters were the recognizable ones. It just didn't flow like a normal episode would. Each scene could have been it's own short because they hardly felt connected, besides the flower thing.

It just feels like it soured it more that the episode fell so flat because of what they were trying to do. But that's where people's own taste comes in. Some people don't care so much how the plot went because the individual scenes made them laugh on their own, so it was a great episode. I even laughed some while watching, especially the Princess' scene, but those parts just don't make up for the rest of it.
>>
>>25647607
>Cutie Remark over Amending Fences now
Wonder if it'll drop much after a few months.
>>
File: bump.gif (411 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
bump.gif
411 KB, 300x400
>6. Rarity Investigates

Fucking cancer.
>>
File: 993049.png (704 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
993049.png
704 KB, 1000x750
>>25655809
Agreed, it's way too low.
>>
i only voted for scaremaster
>>
File: larson_entertained.jpg (211 KB, 594x448) Image search: [Google]
larson_entertained.jpg
211 KB, 594x448
>>25654724
>>25654727
>Treating episode 100 like an actual episode instead of a series of sketches loosely held together by a central plot, and trying to compare it to other episodes
wat r u doing
That's why it should be considered separate from the show, if you try to rate it in comparison to the rest of the show it's horrible, amazing, and utterly mediocre at the same time. It's just not comparable.

Also you might want to watch this, Larson explains a bit about how this all came to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJoTjeyqmA
>>
File: 425245245245.jpg (195 KB, 1024x1311) Image search: [Google]
425245245245.jpg
195 KB, 1024x1311
>>25651933
commissioners are mistakes
>>
It's not even worth talking about any episode of S5 being shit but Princess Spike. That broke new ground and continued to amaze me throughout its entire length at how exactly an episode can fail so much at every single thing it tries. And that's just before you get to the nepotistic OCs that were forced in. Serves them right that they're in probably the series second worst episode.
>>
>>25656145
I still think Princess Spike actually had great potential for at least two different good morals, but completely ignored both storylines to retread stuff that has already been addressed in earlier episodes and didn't really fit with the events of the episode at hand. It's like the writer had some great ideas but then somehow completely forgot about both and didn't know what to write anymore.
>>
>>25656375
It's more like someone came up with something that is inherently bad and caused him to regret it and a writer who didn't give a shit actually wrote it.
>>
>>25647607
My favorites were Hearthbreakers, Amending Fences, and Mane Attraction, in that order.
My least favorites are What About Discord, Tanks for the Memories, and Princess Spike, in that order.
>>
>>25649836

To me Bloom and Gloom was disappointing. Maybe it suffered because it was the last of the Luna helps CMC trilogy, but the first two were better. Bloom and Gloom became the predictable dream in a dream bit. It wasn't bad, just I felt it missed its potential.
>>
File: suspicious.png (338 KB, 661x546) Image search: [Google]
suspicious.png
338 KB, 661x546
>>25654376
>not liking certain episode means that ponies aren't for you anymore and you should get out
>suddenly I'm the one making hyperbolic assumptions
>>
File: zcGtCQt.jpg (37 KB, 365x450) Image search: [Google]
zcGtCQt.jpg
37 KB, 365x450
>>25647607
>mfw I only enjoyed the Gala episode out of every other episodes this season
>rest was mediocre or dissapointing for me
>>
File: 1449154929726.gif (109 KB, 229x199) Image search: [Google]
1449154929726.gif
109 KB, 229x199
>so many glimmerfags voted for the finale
this Poll is worthless, is like making a poll about the only true god at the ISIS convention
>>
>>25647607
>mane attraction is tied with tanks for the memories
Gee, I wonder who could be behind this...
>>
File: Bend over.png (403 KB, 664x792) Image search: [Google]
Bend over.png
403 KB, 664x792
>>25656474
No where in my post did I insinuate that, so yes. Quite hyperbolic indeed.
>>
>Rarity Investigates that high

My niggas. What a comfy episode.
>>
File: tip.gif (1 MB, 292x278) Image search: [Google]
tip.gif
1 MB, 292x278
>bad
>21 results
>shit
>53 results
>I am forced to watch the show I don't like
>>
Best episodes: Amending Fences, Slice of Life, Crusaders of the Lost Mark

Amending Fences was the best story of the season. Crusaders of the Lost Mark gave us two incredible changes, showing us again that the MLP world can change and grow. Slice of Life was a huge amount of fun.

Worst episode: Princess Spike

Fortunately only one really bad episode, but boy did it stink. It's the only one of the season that I can't stand to rewatch anymore.

Most Disappointing: Bloom and Gloom, Appleoosa's Most Wanted, What About Discord

Bloom and Gloom wasn't bad, but it was predictable and not really interesting. As the final part of the Luna and CMC trilogy, it should have been far more than it was.
What About Discord was entertaining with Discord's antics, but that couldn't carry a weak story. It was supposed to be about Twilight being jealous I guess, but she wasn't jealous until they kept throwing it in her face. The whole thing felt forced. Neal Dusedau has struck out twice. Like Merriwether before him, he hasn't gotten the feel of writing mlp yet. Personally I'd be glad for him to move on to something else.
Appleoosa's Most Wanted was a personal disappointment. I really liked Over a Barrel. And here Dave Polsky was returning to Appleloosa. But the episode was weak filler and at times it was like Polsky didn't even remember what he wrote before. (The town is in desert/scrubland, but somehow now has a massive forest next door. That's just lazy writing.)

Twenty four episodes and only one I really hate. That's not bad. Overall I would say this was a great season. Lots of great stories. Lots of interesting new characters. Amy was a big loss, but I hope her new job goes well.
>>
File: 1231314141.jpg (13 KB, 253x238) Image search: [Google]
1231314141.jpg
13 KB, 253x238
>>25656587
>getting into other people's argument without even reading previous posts
>>
File: 1365097120240.jpg (65 KB, 296x310) Image search: [Google]
1365097120240.jpg
65 KB, 296x310
>>25656632
>people aren't allowed to not like certain episodes
>>
File: 1449172954420.png (1 MB, 669x769) Image search: [Google]
1449172954420.png
1 MB, 669x769
>this thread
>>
>>25656649
Dusedau doesn't actually give a shit about his episodes. He only ever responds to dumb criticisms and openly has made fun of fans. He seems to prefer writing stock anti gun liberal propaganda versus actually writing a good story. He absolutely cannot take criticism and sees it all as a personal attack, no matter how sugarcoated it is.

His episodes are especially bad considering the kind of person he is.
>>
>>25656116
>dude memes lmao
>implying this is funny or humorous
>>
>>25656763
>has made fun of fans
Any caps of him being a dick?
>>
File: shotsfired.png (64 KB, 708x754) Image search: [Google]
shotsfired.png
64 KB, 708x754
>>25657023
1/3
>>
>>25657023
Look around. There's someone who said that awkward humor relying on being out of the loop wasnt enjoyable and he said something like "Talking to you is awkward and unenjoyable." He also told people not to watch his episode once they linked to a video criticising it.

He needs a thicker skin. Or maybe someone to fuck with him. How about we donate to the NRA for every bad episode he writes?
>>
File: 1123131.png (32 KB, 576x255) Image search: [Google]
1123131.png
32 KB, 576x255
>>25657023
2/3
>>
File: 1312312321.png (45 KB, 716x521) Image search: [Google]
1312312321.png
45 KB, 716x521
>>25657023
3/3
>>
File: 1429771766644.png (263 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
1429771766644.png
263 KB, 500x369
>>25657071
Criticism = Threaten
>>
File: SpikeShigg.png (121 KB, 373x298) Image search: [Google]
SpikeShigg.png
121 KB, 373x298
>>25656688
>Why is everyone here so quick to label anyone with different tastes as an outsider?
>Can you fucks not handle the fact that /mlp/ is not an echochamber/hivemind that hates the fandom as much as you do?
Sounded like legitimate criticism against an assumption toward part of the userbase for liking something that the other guy did not, disregarding the unfortunate counterargument tacked onto it at the end.

>>25657064
That "legitimate criticism" had barely more substance than the similarly socially awkward commentary you can find here.
>"Making a character experience a realistic and believable situation by reflecting it onto the audience is bad, because (and I'm rightfully speaking on behalf of everyone) the audience doesn't like that!"

>>25657130
>Criticism
I find it funny because the people who started getting super defensive after that first tweet did start attacking him (no, not the Tumblr definition before your reactionary brain jumps to conclusions) with his weak first episode as fuel to be antagonistic back. He didn't suck that guy's long turgid shaft of thoughtful critique that was incidentally written in less than 140 characters, how dare he!
>>
>>25657192
>>"Making a character experience a realistic and believable situation by reflecting it onto the audience is bad, because (and I'm rightfully speaking on behalf of everyone) the audience doesn't like that!"
Did you actually read the tweet? The guy was just saying if you write an episode completely based around jokes that neither the character nor the audience understands, it's going to be bad. And most people seem to agree that it was not a good episode. It was a perfectly legitimate complaint, giving him feedback for how he may improve his writing in the future. If he's going to be an asshole and ignore every piece of criticism he gets, he won't make it very far in his career.
>>
>>25647607
1. The Cutie Re-Mark 1/2
2. Amending Fences
3. Crusaders Of the Lost Mark
I can accept this top three for now.
>>
File: 1394668786843.jpg (16 KB, 195x200) Image search: [Google]
1394668786843.jpg
16 KB, 195x200
>>25656116
>Call episode shit
>"You just don't like fun!"
>Say fan pandering is not funny
>"You only hate it cause you hate the memes and have no argument!"
>Call it a bad episode
>"You can't even compare it to the other episodes in the same series!"
The logic of people who liked Slice of Shit
>>
What About Discord just was not good, I'm sorry. It just really didn't work as humor or character development. The kind of humor it was going for requires a more talented writer. It also regressed Discord as a character to me, which is the biggest thing it did wrong.
>>
>>25647607

The results are skewed by the most recent episode

The Luna episode was amazing and had the deepest message of any episode

That being said you are all entitled to your incorrect opinions

~Signed By A Huge Faggot
>>
File: 1444624972156.jpg (10 KB, 263x152) Image search: [Google]
1444624972156.jpg
10 KB, 263x152
Why does everyone hate Princess Spike?
>>
>>25658289

Anon it's a weak episode story

That's it

Nothing against spike

Cadenza

or the characters

The story is just weak
>>
File: 12321412411.png (3 MB, 1350x1600) Image search: [Google]
12321412411.png
3 MB, 1350x1600
>>25657192
>disregarding the unfortunate counterargument tacked onto it at the end
Yeah, if only he didn't write these last two sentences, then his argument would be completely legit instead of sounding like... well, you know
>"mindlessly like the show or get out"

I really don't like this Tumblr-like attitude of trying to get rid of your opponents. It just shows the lack of decent arguments and inability to deal with people who have different opinions than you.
>>
>>25658298
This.
Also, it feels like after 5 seasons, Spike's not gotten any meaningful development.
Can any spike fans honestly explain to me why they like him so much? I don't hate the guy, but he just doesn't feel that interesting.
>>
>>25647607
>people liked princess spike

I find this hard to believe.
>>
File: what.jpg (25 KB, 599x394) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
25 KB, 599x394
>>25647607
>Hearthbreakers
>12th
>>
>>25658298
But I don't get why it's hated. It wasn't so bad that I'd call it worst in the series, so why the rabid hatred for it?
>>
>>25658348
Yeah, I didn't get that either. The only thing I could really think of that was wrong with it was that the moral is a bit cliche. But I thought it was pretty solid.
>>
>>25658360
People hate spike, so a bad episode featuring him is even more hated than it would have been had it featured someone else.
>>
>>25647607
Slice of Life - 4th

I thought you were better than this /mlp/
>>
>>25647607
>>25658445
But the bottom ones from 17-24 are exactly the episodes I would consider the weakest
>>
>Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?
>7th
I thought everyone was disappointed in it for not being a two-parter?
Especially since it was before the mini hiatus and how Tantabus was an interesting antagonist.
>>
>>25658546
I thought it was a bit rushed at the end, yes. But so have a lot of episodes, and the rest of that one was really solid imo
>>
ban that fucking bump spammer
>>
>>25658470
That makes sense, actually. There are fewer things wrong with the show than right with the show, so it would make sense that we would agree more on what fails than what succeeds.
>>
>>25656649
I disagree about Twilight in What about Discord only being jealous at the end. She just hid it better in the beginning, but to me it was pretty obvious she was just jealous and couldn't admit it to herself so she had to go through with the pointless investigation. I liked that episode, for me the only gripes are that Discord and the others went on a bit too much about inside jokes (that's not the only kind of unique moment that can happen, even if it's the easiest to remember) and that Discord didn't get why the others were laughing in the end.
>>
>>25658312
It's mostly potential, honestly.

>>25658360
>>25658427
Actually, it's the exact opposite. So many people like him that when a bad episode featuring him comes out it is widely panned because people really care a lot.

>>25658298
Cadance having a foal terrifies me after watching Princess Spike.
>>
>>25657600
Thee thing is, just because he replies like that doesn't mean he doesn't take the criticism seriously. You don't know that at all. And for that matter, I disagree that just because the episode isn't funny it immediately is bad, or that it's bad because the audience doesn't understand the jokes the characters make when that's the purpose. I found that to be one of the strengths of the episode.
>>
I certainly wouldn't like it if there were more episodes like Slice of Life, but as a stand alone episode, done only once, it was certainly entertaining as hell.
Anyhow, my favorites were Crusaders of the Lost Mark and Hearthbrakers.
>>
Late response, whoops my bad.
>>25657600
I did read it and it was both
>a) false assumption on how the audience as a whole felt about it (exactly what you're doing)
and
>b) fallaciously using bandwagon to drive the point anyway (again, thanks for committing yourself here)
All of which was spoken as objective fact, and then defended as criticism by that other guy when the writer wasn't having any of that. But I'm probably arguing this from the wrong angle when I just want to point out that it was a legitimate writing convention and the fact that he was able to get the audience to feel the same confusion as the character who was the focus of the story is in fact a good use of the convention regardless that it made the audience feel something they didn't like. It would be akin to saying a documentary that sheds light on an unpleasant truth is bad just because the audience doesn't like hearing about said truth.

>>25658306
His own hyperbole aside, I'm not the one saying "mindlessly like the show or get out", I'm merely criticizing criticism. In fact I would promote more genuine criticism because then the board would have much more discussion regarding the episodes, as people go further in explaining what they liked or disliked.

Speaking of criticism, this Tumblr-like attitude can be applied just as well to the opposing side in the case of dismissing others if they don't agree. Saying "you liked this episode I didn't like? You obviously don't belong here." for instance, but I don't disagree that the other side often does that as well with "you didn't like this episode I did like". Again I'm against this turning into an echochamber and would encourage more counter-discussion between the two if only for more discussion on a board that's supposed to be dedicated in part to discussion.
>>
>>25654297
>>25654243
>>25654210
This anon here

>>25654724
>>25654727
You have made literally all the points I wanted and explained it perfectly, thank you.

To tack on my own thoughts, I really don't care for memes. Sorry, I've never liked much of the fandom nor its hilarious references, and even the ones I did enjoy, I never wanted them in the show. Memes are funny behind closed doors, putting this abomination on television isn't funny and really kills the joke. Regardless, I could look past the references if they just kept it subtle and wrote a proper episode, but instead, Larson got his dick too horny and fucked a hole in the wall

It was not humorous, sorry, but memes aren't the pinnacle of hilarity, like hell if I want to see spurdo irl
It was not a good episode, it's been explained

It has merits only in the most bullshit of justifications, like it being incompatible with other episodes. That's bullshit.
>>
>>25659963
Woops, didn't mean to quote the person
>>
>>25659963
The episode could stand on its own even disregarding the references. I would even be so bold to say somebody watching the episode who has no knowledge of the fandom memes would still be able to enjoy it.
Almost everything that happened in the episode drove the story in some meaningful way near-seamlessly and the most divergent parts (like existential gummy or secret agent Sweetie Drops for instance) weren't even references to the fandom. To dismiss that meaningful establishment of the characters or interaction between them can't happen in just a few minutes would be a disservice to the show in its entirety, specifically the very first episode where the main 6 were all established and interacted in literally the same amount of time. Five characters, if we consider Twilight's introduction as "the main character" takes up a sizable chunk of that first 22 minutes, all established in only a few minutes a piece.
In this particular instance, I think it's more an issue of confirmation bias because
>memes and pandering
>>
File: mfw_autism.png (122 KB, 460x350) Image search: [Google]
mfw_autism.png
122 KB, 460x350
>>25647607
>Slice of Meme
>The Fanfic Re-Mark
>Top results
Why am I not surprised?
>>
>>25647607
Can we have a poll for which episodes were the worst too?
>>
>>25661035
This poll kinda decides that too
>>
>>25661048
It just shows the ones people liked. If we had another poll, we could see the ones people disliked, but also find the ones people are indifferent about comparing the two
>>
>>25661035
I wouldn't mind. Go ahead
>>
File: confusion.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
confusion.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Nothing comes close to Bloom and Gloom for me.
Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.