[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, in conclusion, do we like or hate the finale?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 23
So, in conclusion, do we like or hate the finale?
>>
>>25590688
It was pretty good, but the ending was ruined by the limitations of a show made for young children.
>>
>>25590688
>we
>>
>>25590688
I loved it. One of the best episodes yet and I wouldn't even be mad if it was the series finale. They wrapped it up very well and reintroduced villains spanning the entire series.
>>
>>25590688
I do believe the general consensus is that it was great until Starlight's flashback to the reason she wanted to do away with cutie marks, which was weak.
>>
Twilight Sparkle will lose her wings in Season 6.
>>
>>25590688
it was really good up until the reveal of starlights backstory.
>>
>>25590688
The general opinion seems to be that it was a mixed bag.
>>
>>25590688
>we
I loved it. The problem was actually solved by friendship
>>
>>25590688
It was alright.
The only thing that made me smile again was the multiple time lines thing, which means in one of them my perfect version of the show is real.
>>
>>25590688

It's a Crystal Empire tier two-parter, which is pretty disappointing after Twilight's Kingdom.
>>
File: 1428593471432.jpg (65 KB, 711x838) Image search: [Google]
1428593471432.jpg
65 KB, 711x838
>>25590742
This. As someone who loved Starlight from the beginning I admit it could've been handled far better, that being said it also could've been far worse

Either way, it wasn't enough to ruin the episode to any meaningful extent.
>>
>>25590688
as good as, or even better than Twilight's Kingdom
>>
Honestly it felt more series finale tier than season finale tier

bretty gud
>>
>>25590688
It was alright, ending was too rushed tho.
>>
what was the strawpoll for rating the finale
>>
>>25590688
My autism prevents me to like anything that includes overpowered casters, D&D and the aforementioned trait ruined the episode for me.
yet, I still found a little joy in the episode,and I'm sad as fuck that I have one less thing to look foward every weekend
5/10
>>
>>25590688
As others have already said, the episode was overall good until they showed starlight's past.
>>
>>25590688
It was okay. The varying timelines were cool, especially Nightmare Moon's, but didn't add much to the conclusion. I'm not sure yet how to feel about adding Starlight to the main cast. I think how it was done was pretty weak, and the time spent on the song could have been dedicated to something more substantial, but what's going to matter in the long term is how her character is handled post-reformation.

In conclusion, it holds up as an episode. It mainly suffers because it must by necessity be compared to the rest of season 5, which was largely amazing rather than just good.
>>
>>25590688
I dislike it. I thought it had a lot of thought put into what it wanted to be, but not enough into how it should get there. The ending felt very rushed in comparison to the rest of the episodes. Though Twilight's rush through the timelines at the end added intensity to it, it fell short with that last friendship meeting and song. There should have either been more build up to that and more focus on it or just not have it there at all. I don't think it handled the character well, I don't think it handled the plot well, and I don't think it was a good way to end the season.
>>
I liked the first 98% of it.
>>
It was awesome and Starlight was the best villain the series will ever see. The part where she gently pet young Fluttershy was peak cuteness.
>>
>>25590688
It was a really good episode but there were one of two minor flaws that annoyed me more than it should have
>>
we don't approve, 1 step behind hating, but for the sake of the fate in the writers we shall let it pass
>>
Pretty damn good. Final part was a bit weak though, not IDW super speed redemption at least.

I did like how they showed Twilight starting to break through to Starlight when she showed her the blasted wasteland. Animators were on point with expressions.
>>
>>25590688
it was fine, too bad shimmer is still a shit
>>
>>25590729
Are the crystal gems
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 719x719
I think we all agree that is was a good episode with a half-assed ending. I expect many greens using this as an influence in the future
>>
Needed more time to explore some of the alternate timelines and a less bullshit ending. If it wasn't for the reliance on continuity I'd say this should have been the plot to the movie.
>>
>>25590721
I came here to say this. Still very enjoyable.
>>
>>25592599
Nothing about the ending is half-assed, time constraints aside. I found Starlight's development across the to be believable and central to the episode's moral and theme.
>>
>>25590688
I give it a 8/10.
Bretty good.
>>
If they made the finales three parters or just fucked off with commercials for a change to get the full hour a lot more could be accomplished. It seems like every finale is "rushed due to time constraints." That extra 20 minutes could potentially solve that and give the writers much more freedom to expand on parts that are otherwise lackluster.
>>
Absolutely loved it. The weakest part, as many have said, was Starlight's motivation for getting rid of Cutie Marks, which is a huge overreaction over losing a friend.
>>
>>25590688
I loved The Cutie Map and was hyped af for this, and while it didn't fulfill my way too high expectations, I still think it was a good finale. Like some Anons mentioned, Starlight's backstory was disappointing and I would've preferred it if they had stuck to one timeline and developed a story there rather than breeze through a bunch of them without really giving much attention to the mane6' altered selves. Going back to the normal timeline didn't have nearly as much of an impact that way.
>>
>>25594054
Very much this, I think they could have established more static rules for time travel too, I'm conflicted with what they did in It's About Time since it pretty much stated that time is unaffected by actions in the future and also set the idea that it's predetermined in a linear fashion. (Twilight time traveled and tried to warn Twilight but failed, Twilight then time travels. It's full circle)
>>
>>25590742
This. The finale was mostly solid, but there could have been a much more plausible explanation for Starlight's behavior.
>>
I would've liked to see what happens to Twilight in all these timelines. They even showed her filly-self failing her test, so I thought there will be two Twilights in the future, but it was never brought up.
>>
Part 1 was great
Part 2 was underwhelming
>>
>>25594016
try being a depressed social outcast and losing your only friend
>>
Starlight was Disney evil in the beginning. That smile...that laugh.

The middle was strange. Exploring the alternate futures was interesting, but honestly, had nothing to do with the plot at all.

Twilight vs. Starlight was awesome, but brought up questions. Why is Starlight so powerful? Like, outrageously powerful.

The entire actual plot and character progression was contained within Twilight's speech to Starlight. Which unfortunately was only so-so. Starlight's quick heel/face turn really threw me off. It felt like they were just throwing away a good villian, something no show should ever do (kids show, I understand).

Starlight's backstory was weak and her motivation dumb. It didn't have enough time devoted to it. THIS should have been the main focus of the episode instead of the alternate futures.

PS: I thought Starswirl's spell couldn't change the past? Remember, Twilight and the time loop? Future is deterministic, and then it wasn't all of a sudden.

PSPS: The Flim Flam future was dumb. They just bulldoze EVERYTHING! WTF? They started out as morally grey, legitimate businessmen. But they've become more and more pure evil. I kind of feel like the writers were trying to throw liberals a bone after they witnessed Communism being excoriated in the Season 5 opener (like they did with the greedy Griffins).
>>
>>25594144
I am
>>
>>25590688
I loved it.
>>
>>25590721
pretty much this
>>
>>25590688
It was really fucking stupid. Every single thing in the episode. Haber process in writing this turd was basically: 1) Fimfiction.net 2)Copypaste 3)Get paid

If they were gonna have; "Travel to different dimensions theme" , they should've spread episode like that throughout the season to explore them in depth, rather than just condense it into two episodes. But instead we get episodes like princess spike, what about discord, slice of life, etc when those could've been spent exploring these presented dimensions and build foreshadows for the finale.

Really disappointed desu.
>>
>>25594145
Well I'm kinda happy she's reedemed at the end because I couldn't stand her as villain. She's annoying as fuck, I'm wondering every second she's onscreen why Twilight doesn't just blast her face with a sun hot beam.
>>
>>25594210
this
also disappointing ending. the long awaited finale concludes with yet another generic speech
>>
File: 12324252.png (145 KB, 1735x1944) Image search: [Google]
12324252.png
145 KB, 1735x1944
>>25590688
>plotholes everywhere
>Twilight being retarded during both episodes
>Flashy death lazor battles
>Ridiculous amount of edginess in King Sombra's timeline
This was literally fanfiction-tier episode. Even Twi vs Tirek battle in S4 finale is more appropriate for FiM universe than most of things we've seen in this episode.
Bronies will still think it's a 10/10 episode because flashy colors and grimdark edgyness is all they need to be entertained.
>>
>>25590688
did anyone else think that Twilight's voice was a bit stiff in the beginning of the first part? Like Tara was getting over a cold or something
>>
It was a great episode. The fact that they showed Equestria in a state of poverty, war and despair and that they showed that all the villains could have been successfull, had it not been for the mane 6 was awesome, and unexpected.

>8/10 because of Starligts backstory

Had Starlight been Shining armors and cadences daughter who travelled back in time, like some theorised, I would have lost my mind in awesomenes, but as it stands, pretty good.
>>
>>25590688
We like it for the most part, but feel it should have had more. We are always wanting.

I think it was perfect, not too much, not too little
>>
>>25594251
Sombra best nemesis.
>>
>>25594075
That was never specified in the episode, though. That's just how the events of "It's About Time" unfolded. I think the real problem is that they introduced time travel in the first place, with the secondary issue that the aforementioned episode seemingly wasted what was said to be a one-shot thing on something insignificant.
>>
>>25594370
I think the real key here is the harmony map table thing here. It's what is supplying the power to the time travel spell and persists through the various timelines that are being created, supposedly supported by the energy of the Tree which is present in all realities. This immense power seems to allow complete changes in time rather than a single pony's affect, which is going to simply create a time loop (though one could argue that the tree created the knowledge of the time spell to help seal it, since Twilight never independently discovers that fact. It's just always known)
>>
File: starlight!.png (1 MB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
starlight!.png
1 MB, 900x1200
>>25592895
This
Time for some sexy reformed Starlight
>>
>>25590688
I liked it. 9/10
There was even more potential and the ending/reformation was a little rushed, but I suppose 45 minutes wasn't enough to fit everything in.
>>
>>25590742
You guys have to use a little bit of headcanon.

Starlight Glimmer's friendship was far greater than the mane6, with a far bigger repercussion.

That is how superior Starlight Glimmer is.

She did everything to avoid everybody the pain she experienced.
>>
>>25590688
How about you make your own decision and opinnions.
>>
>>25590688
I haven't rewatched it yet, but initially I was kind of disappointed that the only part of the time travel relevant to the narrative was the one with Zecora. They were all really fun and cool to see ind you, but I wish it could have all been tied in.

I'm thinking it'll still settle at an 8/10 for me.
>>
File: 1373149379722.jpg (456 KB, 2500x2500) Image search: [Google]
1373149379722.jpg
456 KB, 2500x2500
>>25595577
>ind
Mind. Guess it's time for me to beb.
>>
File: 1416780050587.png (70 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1416780050587.png
70 KB, 400x400
>>25590688
It was very good. Underwhelming at the end, considering how little it took to persuade Starlight right at the end, but I don't think that tarred the overall finale significantly.
Of course, would've been better if Twilight spent another 10-15 seconds or so making a few more points.
All in all, I had a jolly old time.
>>
>>25590688
i hate the ending of finale.
>>
File: uh.png (87 KB, 608x456) Image search: [Google]
uh.png
87 KB, 608x456
>>25590688
Apparently even the staff agreed that the ending fucked up at the last leg.
>>
>>25596175
>AKR criticizing from beyond the grave
>>
>>25596175
Writers can often see when something doesn't quite work the way it was planned in the story meetings.
>>
>>25596175
> Upload it to derpibooru
> Watch the drama and namecalling
>>
>>25590688
Thing is, the last few seconds of anything are what people remember the most. So, a story that starts slow or mediocre but picks up over time earns them a "yeah, it's kinda bad to average at the beginning, but it gets good; I mean, REAL good" from the audience, and I'm sure everyone has read or watched such a story at least once in their life.

Compare with a story that starts great but the ending is weak; the audience then responds with "Meh. What a scam."

It happens. The final act is the most important part of a story for a reason.
>>
>>25596175
Something tells me they ran out of time and/or money after all the stuff with the alternate timelines.
>>
>>25594145
>Exploring the alternate futures was interesting, but honestly, had nothing to do with the plot at all
This. Twilight being there didn't help fix any timeline, she could have just rushed through all of them like she did in the end, and the episode could have focused more on Glimmer. Escpecially giving her a non-sucky backstory
>>
To everyone complaining about Starlight's backstory: she was a child. If she lost her one and only friend because they got a cutie mark, she's going to think cutie marks make you lose friends.
>>
Pretty good finale, 8/10, would be a 9 if they wasted less time on some of the loops and put it towards Glimmer's flashback and rant.
>>
>>25595586
Like big sister, Twilight Sparkle
Like little brother, Spike
>>
>>25590688
Get your own opinion, faggot!
>>
>>25590688
I loved it. It was awesome.
Starlight's backstory was a bit weak, but I'll bite.
>>
>>25590721
Confirming this. It was generally good, and flaws can be chalked up to the limitations of the show itself than any writing.

If anything, it shows the staff is straining to do the very best they can within the confines they work in.
>>
>>25594075
>>25594145
Who said things WEREN'T changed when she went back in time though remember Tirek got sent loose in this episode. And this finale was all about the butterfly effect and how every little alteration matters
>>
File: 1426755903881 (1).jpg (517 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
1426755903881 (1).jpg
517 KB, 576x576
>>25590744
Fuck. Yes.
>>
I enjoyed it.

Would have much preferred it to have been Trixie becoming Twilight's student, but whatever.
>>
10/10, I loved it.
>>
>>25590688
It was good and I enjoyed having acknowledgment of the past 4 seasons and having them used to progress the story. Continuity!
I honestly think that Starlight's villainous scheme made just as much sense as every other villain on FIM, which is to say good but not perfect
I also don't think Starlight was OP. She just used one single spell to screw with time, and everything fell in place from there. She didn't forcefully conquer anything, except throwing punches with twilight.
>>
4/10 or maybe even less. What a fucking disappointment.

The alternate timelines were terrible, like someone went and just took the worst ideas from Fimfiction and decided to animate them. And once again it was all about the Twilight Sparkle show, with her friends literally walking in at the last minute going "Hey, what happened?" Then a horribly rushed reformation and ridiculous motivation for SG's actions.

Terrible, ugh.
>>
>>25590688
I haven't watched Equestria Girls or seen all of season three, much less any of season 4 or 5.
But damn this season finale sounds badass.
Can I watch it without catching up or am I a stupid faggot who's going to have to wait till after exams to see it all?
>>
>>25597783
The second one
>>
Honestly the ending part with Starlight needed a bigger exploration on her past (where in hell did she learn to rip off cutie marks?) and maybe toning down the montage at the end.

Other than that her giving up was believable, being shown the bad future for once shook her enough to not tear the paper right away at least. Twilight's main job was making sure that lesson stuck on her.
>>
It was a 10/10 until the last 5 minutes. Then it dropped to a 8/10. I understand that sometimes a few seconds are enough to change the mind of some people but that was way too rushed.
>>
>>25590688
Just dislike the ending. Everything else about it is goodness.

The ending is expected though. Just disappointing, yet expected.
>>
It was cool to see the alternate realities, and to see some of the old villains return.
That being said, I couldn't give two fucks about Starlight.
So basically, like everyone said, the ending was lame.
>>
>>25590688
The episode itself was a masterpiece. The ending...I didn't like it. I mean, maybe because I'll shitpost forever about a show MADE,FOR LITTLE GIRLS?!
>>
File: 1032044.gif (2 MB, 400x223) Image search: [Google]
1032044.gif
2 MB, 400x223
Coming from a veteran of this god forsaken community (was here in the /co/ days before the show started), I can honestly say that this episode felt like a real ending, a real conclusion.

All the newfags that joined post-2011 fucked it all up by reaching out for more edgy shit in the show, and over the years its made it less and less bearable to watch during shit-tier episodes which were clearly affected by pure autism.

but this? this felt like an actual, natural ending to a show about friendship. Though a bit rushed, we can all admit we understand what its like to not have friends.
Starlight was portrayed to be this evil psychopath who hated cutie marks, so when when it was finally revealed that she disliked them because her only friends "talents" separated them, we finally found out why she was so upset in the first place.

This show has always been about friendship, never forget that.
Starlight lost her one and only true friend to what can be summed up as "life" because sometimes...life gets in the way.
Sometimes, friends do have to leave each other.
life has a strange way of seperating and pulling people together.

But starlight finally came to the realisation that (and this is why we consider the ending so shit) "I could just make new friends"

For any of my fellow /co/ pals who might still be around here after 5 years, just remember that that we started watching this show to make fun of it. we didn't want to make friends of find common ground with anybody, but look where we are now.

Friendship (strangely enough) really is magic.
>>
>>25590721
Limitations that a more skilled writer could make up for, but you can't exactly do that when it's a committee of writers. Also, Hasbro meddling means you can't exactly predict any curveballs that might fuck up your planning.

I mean, think of all the asspulls that MLP's redemptions make. It's practically a given at this point.
>>
Pretty cool. The idea of showing the alternative worlds was great. And the end was cool.
>>
File: 1433531303615.jpg (44 KB, 559x514) Image search: [Google]
1433531303615.jpg
44 KB, 559x514
>>25598075
joined mid way into season 1, you're a huge faggot.
>finally found out why
Yeah, what a twist
>>
File: mskent.png (65 KB, 238x230) Image search: [Google]
mskent.png
65 KB, 238x230
>>25598075
I-I'm... I'm speechless, Anon.

It's like you tried your hardest to be the biggest faggot on 4chan and somehow achieved something far beyond that.
>>
>>25594144
Well I wasn't depressed but that did happen once or twice or thrice.
>>
>>25590688
Super great to me. War torn post apoctolyptic hellhole equestria was super unexpected and rad (wartime pinkie and maud was amazing)....and the moral seems like it's what the show has been building up to from the beginging: 'make some fucking friends. All the stuff we've taught you is pointless if you don't go out of your way to actually get friends'.
I loved it. Almost everyone I've talked to irl about it really loved it.
>>
>>25596736
Something tells me they just stopped caring midway.
>>
>>25596175
I don't get it. What's funny?
>>
File: MUH MOUTH.png (1018 KB, 1267x703) Image search: [Google]
MUH MOUTH.png
1018 KB, 1267x703
>>25590688
The finale was awesome but then the ending was fucking shitty because it was just a commercial for toys...

Ideological Starlight Glimmer will always be in our heart...
>>
File: 6dc.jpg (145 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
6dc.jpg
145 KB, 1280x720
>>25598225
>Almost everyone I've talked to irl about it really loved it.
But anon, tulpas don't count as irl people.
>>
>>25598225
>Still associating yourself with humanity
you don't belong here
>>
>>25590721
>>25590742

Pretty much this.
>>
>>25590744
You haven't hanged yourself yet?
>>
Get a load of these faggots who can't type an opinion beyond HRD FIMFICTION HUR EDGY
>>
>>25598317
Nigga that's what I'm saying, whole point of the moral of the episode.....it's like it was perfectly aimed at everyone here.
>>
>>25597783
Technically, you need the S3 finale, the S4 premiere, the key episodes in S4 (this is less important, but useful), the S4 finale, and the S5 premiere to have all the background for the S5 finale. The S5 premiere alone is enough to understand the plot, though.
>>
What I missed from this episode is either one of these three possibilities:
-more interaction of the other mane six
-their friendship somehow defeating fate, and they still become friends in one of the worlds
-a good musical scene at the peak

Other than these, it was a good finale, with a nice little story there.
>>
Felt like an entire buffet stuffed onto a single plate. Kinda wish they'd tone down the "epicness" for lack of a better term. Also got too dark here and there. Like I never expected a dog yelp to be a sound effect I'd hear in the show ever. Those are my only gripes
>>
>>25598952
The Dash abuse was funny. I love how Starlight always acted nice towards Fluttershy, but smacked Dash's shit without a care.
>>
>>25594251
How is a children's-level war being "edgy"?
>>
>>25599156
It was edgier than anything FIM has done to date.
Dash had an obvious scar, missing part of her ear, and a prosthetic wing.
>>
To me, it felt like a letter to anyone who used to like the show but stopped at some point.

From the transcript:
Starlight Glimmer: I thought Sunburst and I were the same. But we turned out different, and it tore our friendship apart!
Twilight Sparkle: So try again! Make new friends! And if something that you can't control happens that changes things, work through it together! That's what friendship is! And it's not just my friendships that are important to Equestria! Everypony's are! When yours ended, it led us here. But just imagine all the others that are out there waiting for you if you just give them a chance!
Starlight Glimmer: How do I know they won't all end the same way?
Twilight Sparkle: I guess it's up to you to make sure they don't.

You lost a friend for reasons outside of your control, but it won't do to dwell on what could have been. It might be time to move on and find a new friend.
>>
>>25590721
Yeah. Still bummed about no Nightmare Star though.
>>
>>25599130
I've been thinking about how the different methods of stopping Dash caused different things. The more violent she was with Dash, the more dark the future seemed to be.

>freezes her in place
Sombra wages war, RD is a soldier
>stops Fluttershy from being teased and Twilight convinces RD that the Rainboom is impossible
Changelings take over
>Dash watches them have a laser fight
Nightmare Moon takes over, Dash is in her guard
>hits Dash out of the sky with her hoof
Tirek escapes and takes over
>Twi freezes Dash in a magical block
Discord escapes and takes over
>she helps Fluttershy fly the obstacle course
Flim and Flam industrialize Equestria
>she blasts Dash with a laser
all Equestria ends

It's safe to say that the more Dash got hurt there the worse off Equestria was and the more likely Dash would become a fighter.
>>
>>25599300
Thus confirming that dash is best horse
>>
>>25599300
This sort of analysis, it's a good thing.
>>
File: yes my liege.jpg (119 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
yes my liege.jpg
119 KB, 1680x1050
>>25600540
Of course, she's pretty much the Ãœberpone, the only one who can perform the Rainboom without which the Mane 6 would have never formed.

RD is the first cause, RD is God in a pony.

Praise the little blue horse with the big inflated ego.
>>
>>25590721
I was pretty much just going to say this.

The time traveling logic wasn't really explained at all outside of that Zecora moment but I found that perfectly acceptable given the cartoon's format and limitations. My enjoyment was slightly hindered by the ending which every sane person that watches the show could've predicted a mile away and I felt they could've handled both Twilight and especially Starlight better.

Overall the finale exceeded my low expectations despite it doing exactly the thing I least wanted to happen at the end.
>>
>>25598075
Fellow /co/fag from when the show was fresh and /mlp/ wasn't a thing, and you just gave me chills m8.

Thanks for the nostalgia, and you're spot on. The show's about friendship and forever will be. A bunch of neckbeards aren't going to change that. And although the scene was rushed, she did have legit reason to reform. She learnt that she won't go anywhere in life and won't achieve anything without friendship, and concluded it was time to make a change. It was a true ending, and we couldn't ask for much more.

Happy hiatus, you glorious faggots.
>>
It was neat seeing all the parallel futures, but the motives, power levels and lack of consequences were fucking bullshit.
Pretty much all the finales bar the first have been cool concepts ruined by asspulls/bad writing
>>
>>25590688

Utter and complete trash.
>>
>>25590688
9/10 it's ok.
>>
>>25601902

Truth is, no lasting harm was done. Twilight cycled through some horrible alternative timeline shit, but in the end it's a closed loop and Starlight -didn't- end up locking them into an eternal cycle of Bad Ends. Twilight talked her down.

Fuck, Trixie did more damage than Starlight did in the end from sheer stupidity. Or Sunset Shimmer. On the other hand, gonna be some serious questions on that whole cutie-mark stealing and exactly WHAT she was planning on. I doubt she's off Shit Creek yet.
>>
>>25598259
Wish Starlight wasn't reformed, and was just put in a dungeon, or something. That way we could have more of best villain in the future
>>
>>25602813
>>25602674
PLus it's not like it was a sudden moment of forgiveness. It feels like that but it was actually after a fade into another scene that implied that'd been discussing what to do with Starlight for HOURS.

Though if Twilight was spending that discussion trying to convince the others that everything was ok, then she would have at least fallen into the "my enemy is now my best friend suddenly for no reason" syndrome that some kids tv shows have.

Did she, or not?
>>
>>25590688

Weakest season finale since "A Night to Remember".
>>
>>25598075
10/10 made me reply
>>
File: fanfiction in one image.jpg (161 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
fanfiction in one image.jpg
161 KB, 1024x512
Too much edginess during the "war" part. It was like watching an animated version of Fallout Equestria. Just cringe-inducing.
>>
>>25604460
>It was like watching an animated version of Fallout Equestria
I don't remember an entire village of cannibals being brutally murdered by a foul-mouthed, psychotic lesbian during a fit of rage appearing anywhere in either episodes, anon.
>>
>>25590688
>we
also, checked
>>
>>25590688
It was interesting that we got to see all these alternate endings, but the ending felt like Equestria Girls all over again with the antagonist suddenly reopening herself to friendship and becoming Twilight's most faithful friendship student.
>>
>>25607260
It does seem to fit better, though. Starlight going back and explaining the reason she felt the way she did was sort of like a crash course group therapy session. Starlight came to terms with why she shut others and their talents out, and was primed to accept a new way.

Sunset had no such priming. She was just blasted in the ass with a rainbow and repented.
>>
File: 1448300586494.png (139 KB, 277x251) Image search: [Google]
1448300586494.png
139 KB, 277x251
>>25594251
>tfw that is the only sensible post about the finale in this whole board
This place really is an echo chamber of stupidity.
>>
>>25598075
I'm as much as a veteran as you or probably more and I still think you're a massive faggot.
>>
>>25604460
>too much edginess
So where was gratuitous violence, counter-culture or obscenities used for the express purpose of a shock reaction or to intentionally self-marginalize?

Oh wait you're just using buzzwords for things you don't like.
>>
>>25599193
Van Gogh must have been ahead of his time considering he's missing a whole ear. Glad to know me having a broken pinky toe and a cracked lip makes me an edgelord on par with Satan.
>>
>>25590688

The Finale was mostly really fun, yeah it had some flaws and stupid things but much like Canterlot Wedding most of those can be overlooked due to how enjoyable the whole thing is to watch.

Also the reformation was rushed but which one hasn't been?
>>
What I don't understand is that if starlight was supposed to make new friends, why couldn't Twilight make new friends in the alt timelines and defeat the baddies anyway?
>>
>>25595547
if their friendship was supposely so strong, why didn't they stay in contact via mail or she contacted him again when they were adults?
>>
>>25598075
>Coming from a veteran of this god forsaken community (was here in the /co/ days before the show started)
Nobody fucking cares. If you want people to lend more credence to your opinion because you've been here for a while, go join a fucking forum.
>>
>>25608962
Thank you. At least someone still remembers what "edgy" meant before the memelords tortured the word to death.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
>>25590688
No we here, but I'd say the majority of the board loved the finale. That's at least what this thread has shown. Hopping on the boat of personal opinions though.

I give it a yes out of maybe for successfully turning one of my friends, a girl so dedicated to the show that it was actually autistic, away from ever watching it again. I'll even give it a bonus yes for forcing our group to go back to older episodes and rewatch just to remember why we ever watched this show. And one more maybe since it reminded this same group why we watched the show in the first place by successfully having none of those reasons in it. This finale was actually a magnum opus of shit tier quality episodes. Thanks Hasbro. Good job.
>>
>>25604460
>edginess
oh boo hoo, RD had a torn ear. How edgy. Try using words you understand.
>>
>>25598232
> Not knowing who's Murrison
> Not knowing he hates everything
> Not knowing what means that even a show staffer agrees with him
>>
>>25610644
Hey if I wrote Filli Vanilli or The Mane Attraction I would be pretty able to talk about stumbling, if not falling flat on my face.
>>
>>25604167
>A Night to Remember
Wut?
>>
>>25594145

>Why is Starlight so powerful? Like, outrageously powerful

Wasn't it implied that Starlight fought smart while Twilight just kinda brute forced it?

Twilight isn't a fighter. Sure she has more magical ability than 99% of the population, but that doesn't mean jack shit if she can't use it properly in a fight. Starlight avoided most of her attacks while Twilight blocked her's.

Given prep time, Twi could have beaten her easily. But Twi was shoved into a position where she had to think on her feet (metaphorically speaking) and thus went back to the same stuff she's always used. Which Starlight prepared for.
>>
>>25610765
Twilight said that Starlight was an extremely powerful unicorn. She says just before it ends for good that she can't beat Starlight. Starlight is more powerful.

>Twilight not a fighter
Lets just ignore all the fights, skirmishes, and magic showings she's done/been in.
>>
>>25610442
Because baseless opinions are no fun

Plot holes~

Starlight Glimmer~
>Starlight being far stronger than Twilight by an actual measurable amount. A lot of people keep saying Twilight being an alicorn doesn't raise her power, she's not trained to control that power, tired from using the spell, etc. This doesn't wave Starlight being disgustingly more powerful than Twilight. For one, Twilight is the element of magic who spent years studying magic and the like. Her special talent is magic. She was the pupil of what's regarded one of the most powerful magic users in all of equestria. Starlight is nothing but a unicorn from a backwards town in the middle of nowhere with nothing indicating she should have that much power. Her cutie mark doesn't even make sense. It doesn't look like anything that would equal having more powerful than an alicorn whose special talent is magic while also being the element of magic.

~Twilight was tired from traveling through time~
>Even if she was, Starlight was also using that spell, yet she showed no sign of exhaustion. Not only that, but she did it with far more ease than twilight could even conceive. Throw in how she blatantly defeated Twilight from the very beginning anyway, when Twilight didn't use the spell, and some explanation needs to given.

Timelines~
>Whether or not you use the "It's About Time" time law that was established, the timelines still don't make sense. Each one implies that only the mane six could ever beat any of these villains. Problem is, some of these are recurring and have been beat before.

~Nightmare Moon~
>Defeated by Celestia once before. She could do it again. In the Flim Flam, Chrysalis, Tirek, Discord, desolate, and Sombra universe it is implied she is defeated if not existing at all. What happened this time?
>>
~Sombra~
>Also defeated a long time ago with little reason why it wouldn't work again. Even if he wasn't somehow defeated, he controlled a small kingdom. This kingdom versus all of Equestria. He shouldn't have as much standing as he did. Implied defeated or not existing in Tirek and desolate universe.

~Flim Flam~
>This one just doesn't make any sense at all. They are shown actively destroying the nature around them. This is stupid considering that's the same as destroying the thing that gives them profit. Even if it wasn't, they weren't that evil in the first place. They weren't even evil. Implied defeated or non existing in Chrysi, Sombra, Tirek, Discord and desolate universe.

~Discord~
>This is an interesting one. In the discord universe, Luna is also a slave which means she was reformed without the elements help. Celestia and Luna worked together to beat Discord the first time. This means they could probably do it again. It also goes a bit deeper than that though. Discord was only released a second time because the CMC showed disharmony near him. Since the mane six never became friends, this would most likely mean the CMC didn't exist. Without the sonic rainboom, Applejack stays in manehatten. The CMC formed because Apple Bloom was being teased for being a blank flank at Diamond Tiara's party. Apple Bloom only went because of Applejack. And if she was to go anyway, it's shown that Rarity doesn't establish anything in ponyville this from the Sombra universe. No rarity=no sweetie belle. There are other ways to think of why the CMC wouldn't form but I'll use those two for now. No CMC, no discord getting released because the CMC showed disharmony. Implied defeated or non existent in the Sombra, Tirek, desolate, and Chrysalis universe.
>>
~Chrysalis~
>Celestia supposedly only lost to Chrysi because Shining Armors love was powerful enough to grant Chrysi the strength. Considering all that changed with just this friendship, I'm willing to bet those two never got married and even if they did, Twilights friendship did jack all to stop Chrysi in the end. In fact, it was because Twilight didn't trust "Cadance" and wouldn't listen to her friends that the two love birds defeated Chrysi with love...the source of Chrysi's power. If the marriage was to still go on, Twilight would have had no friends and would probably have a closer relationship with her brother. Recognizing something being wrong with "Cadance", he would probably believe her. Who would know best than the baby Cadance baby sat. This is speculation of course, but honestly, Cadance and Shining Armor was a mistake the show made and couldn't possibly fix anyway. Implied defeated or non existent in Tireks, Sombra's, and desolate universe.

~Tirek~
>This. This I can accept. He was the final villain in the list so he was never implied to not exist or be defeated and the way he took control in the first place was legit enough. The alicorns power could have been diverted to Celestia instead, but that falls under speculation on how they lost. Desolate could count as defeated or non existent.

I'm starting to think the desolate universe is the one where the vines go unchecked and no one is able to stop it. Probably makes the most sense.
>>
~All at once~
>In every time line, I labeled where they were implied non existent or defeated. This was to point to how they made it to that current timeline. In reality, they were all defeated or non existent in every timeline. The map brought Twily back to the same time in the future every time. What happened to every other villain than the ones in charge? If anyone thinks Flim and Flam could take on any of those villains, please give me the drugs you're on. They must be some good shit. There are other obvious mis match ups, but that's my favorite one to think about.

Starlight's reason~
>Multiple problems here, but my favorite was the fact that stallion was obviously not friends with her. He saved her from injury, did something pretty mediocre, gained a cutie mark in God knows what, then walked out on her without a word. The fact that he just walked out on her without saying a single word, or even looking at her, was golden. Best part of the two parter was just that moment. Already given up hope for the finale so that part was its magnum opus.

Characterization~
>I gave up on Twilight ages ago. I remember when she actually thought things out, when she'd use her cunning to solve problems, when she didn't just resort to lasers as an end all. Those times where she had some sort of depth to her personality. Those times when her solution wasn't just friendship. Ugh. As an Anon said above me, she was a moron throughout both episodes.
>>
The universe where Tirek won is the one with the most powerful non Mane Six. They beat every threat up to him. I wonder who stopped the villains up to him in that one.
>>
>>25610926
Twilight~
>Personal head canon that in every alternate universe, twilight committed suicide after failing her magic test. It'd at least explain why she never showed up once.

Celestia~
>This episode actively proves that the princess of Equestria, ruler of the entire land, is incapable of doing anything remotely helpful to the world. She couldn't beat a single one of the villains in any of these universes, unless each one implied the previous was defeated. Worse was probably in the Sombra universe where she does a small magic trick and fucks off. What's the point of having her seem as this higher tier creature if she's actually useless. Just rip her wings off already and call her a unicorn, nothing in the world will change apparently. Starlight could probably beat her in single combat with all that power she supposedly has.

Final say stays the same. Yes/maybe, this being Hasbro's magnum opus of shit tier quality horse show.
>>
>>25610821
That doesn't imply that she's more powerful. Equal at most, which means neither could defeat one another in a battle.

However it could als mean both mastered certain skills, but lack in others. Remember the cutie vault scene when Starlight ambushed the mane 6? Twilight was trying to hit Starlight with full force, but the latter reacted faster and therefore defeated Twilight. Later when Starlight was about to hit the 4 townsponies, the rolls switched. Twilight won due to the element of surprise and is capable of creating powerful forcefields.
Tl;Dr I think Twilight is still more powerful when it comes to attack and defence, but lacks in speed and agility which Starlight rocks at.

Starlight also plans way ahead giving her some advantages, while Twilight runs after the facts trying to fix the whole ordeal.

Lastly we know Twilight is an excellent copycat. Learning new spells pure by observation. This plus her enthusiasm to learn as many spells as she's able to, makes her magicpool very diverse. But, she completely forgets to wield the number of spells she knows with any finesse or ease. Only teleportation and forcefields seem spells Twilight really mastered.
>>
File: 10_10.jpg (57 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
10_10.jpg
57 KB, 600x600
>>25590721
>>25590742
>>
>>25590688
Alright OP, I talked to the rest of /mlp/ and we all agreed that you stink
>>
>>25610894
~Twilight was tired from traveling through time~
>Even if she was, Starlight was also using that spell, yet she showed no sign of exhaustion.

i'd like to think starlight modified the spell to leech purple smarts magic to teleport herself moments earlier to twi's arrival
>>
So how does this time travel story not have paradox issues?
>>
>>25611130
>time travel story
>no paradox issues
impossible
>>
>>25611145
Which is why they should never be attempted.
>>
>>25596175
>tfw getting called out by a former staff member.
>>
>>25610986
She aint no copycat, she just has Master Eagle Eye skill.
>>
>>25611145
Traveling forward in time.
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.