[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>motivation is bf dumped her >gets redeemed after just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 15
File: 1425580624309.png (246 KB, 744x672) Image search: [Google]
1425580624309.png
246 KB, 744x672
>motivation is bf dumped her
>gets redeemed after just one speech

worst villain or worstest villain?
>>
>>25580709
>one speech

what about all the other speeches where she just didn´t give a fuck ?
>>
>>25580709
Worst goes to Dazzles.

>sing
>sing louder
>well, that's it
>>
>>25580709
A lot more than a speech. She saw the world basically ended.
>>
File: Suicide.png (64 KB, 696x460) Image search: [Google]
Suicide.png
64 KB, 696x460
>How to ruin a great character in only 2 minutes
I loved that antagonist, I fucking swear I loved her because of the ideological conflict aspect she added in the show, but now it's all gone forever just because they decide she was like that only because no friend...
>>
>>25580709
she was an awesome villain till the end. she could have killed spike, but not, they fucked up with this. I'm done. I'm off the ride,the show is now shit.
>>
File: 356835356.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
356835356.jpg
47 KB, 1280x720
>>25580709
>villain
>>
>>25580709
that goes to sunset m8
at least starlight while evil was enjoyably smug and had a completely foolproof plan
>>
File: 1406389151831.gif (371 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1406389151831.gif
371 KB, 500x375
>>25580757
>implying all of the friendless, hateful spergs on /mlp/ wouldn't also destroy the world out of spite, if they had access to super magic.
>>
>>25580709
I still really like Glimglam for the qualities she showed in the premiere and the finale.
>smart as fuck, bade her time and figured out a way to royally screw Twilight
>fierce, held her own against the Element of Magic and stubbornly refused to change her course
>she's qt as fuck

That's not to say the ending wasn't a little rushed, but Glimglam remains one of my favorite villains, above Chryssy and Sombra for sure.
>>
>>25580825
if I had access to super magic. I would just keep cloning spike and kill all the clones to satisfy my sadistic desires.
>>
>>25580709
Her real motivation was that Twilight fucked her Village up where she was happy. That was just explaining where her hatred for Cutie Marks began from.

The real thing that started her turn was that she saw that she fucking ended the world with her messing with the past, but she was still in denial and needed some more convincing to push her over the edge.
>>
>>25580709
>Implying he was her boyfriend
>implying he "dumped her"
You clearly missed what the fuck happened. He got shipped off to Canterlot, much akin to previous world wars where young men were taken and shipped off to fight against their will--most not coming back alive.

OP is a faggot. Moving on.
>>
>>25580923
this
she fucking told twilight multiple times it was revenge for fucking up her village
>>
>>25580709
I actually liked how she was unsure about being redeemed for the most part, instead of quickly accepting it like Sunset.

I didn't want her to be redeemed, but I like the way they handled it.
>>
>>25580709
>bf
Wrong
>one speech
Also wrong
>>
File: too mad.jpg (228 KB, 500x746) Image search: [Google]
too mad.jpg
228 KB, 500x746
>>25580709
I fucking hated her from the start. I hate everything about her even the way she looks. She's just an egotistical self-centered bitch that enslaved a village for her own satisfaction. I swear if we see her again in S6. It's the same shit as Moondancer, the fucking world doesn't turn around you.

In b4 salty
>>
>>25581093
Strange,I like her because of those reasons, she's pretty good antagonist for MLP.can't wait for Season 6.
>>
They ruined her when her reasons turned from ideology to ´boyfriend dumped and forgot about me´.

Good villains have crazy reasons and ideologies that makes sense, so you almost you agree with them.
>>
File: large.png (184 KB, 1084x1024) Image search: [Google]
large.png
184 KB, 1084x1024
>>25580850
Muh fucking nigga!
>>
>>25581347
I think it's an okay backstory, but the execution was flawed and not serious enough.

If it ended up like her being actively and not just passively ostracized for being a blank flank - like Babs Seed - then her lashing out after getting her newfound magic powers would be believable.

But just "best friend moves away and forgot about her after getting his cutie mark" is too weak.
>>
>>25580709
This reminds me of this X-man comic where a nun tried to kill all catholics because a priest raped her
>>
>>25581347
They literally devoted time in the first episode to pointing out that Starlight's ideology stems from good; she manages to convince the bullies and Fluttershy that she's right and Twilight looks like a dick when she disagrees.
>>
>>25581414
Right. It would make more sense if she tried her best to keep up with him on something that he was talented and she wasnt. And the only reason he was talented was because of his cutie mark. Or if Sunburst were the one to end her madness by talking to her and explaining why he forgot about her.
>>
>>25580850
Whil I agree with that, I still wish her past would've been more than just "lost 1 friend --> equality is everything!!!". It's way too little to justify all she has done.
>>
Well, even in the finale itself Twilight calls her out on her weak as fuck reasons.

But then friendship and forgiveness kick in.
I know it's the show's whole optimistic shtick, but they could at least nuance it a bit more.
>>
>>25580709

There was way more than one speech

Unlike chrysalis or sombra or tirek, glimmer was actually more powerful than twilight so it makes sense that she had to be defeated with words rather than a magic battle. Out of all of the villains that have been redeemed, glimmer makes the most sense to redeem
>>
>>25581459
She didn't just lose 1 friend. She never had ANY friends again. She had nothing but her whole life to stew over it.

The real question is why didn't she go back in time and cast her equality spell on him so he never got a magic mark.
>>
>>25580709
Will she get her own throne in Twilights castle or will she just become another reformed ex-villian (background character) like Discord, Trixie etc. ?
>>
>>25580743
>drove apart the mane 6 and almost drained them of all their magic
>defeated only by Sunset the Mary Sue
>worst
Kill yourself
>>
>>25581585
>inb4 she gets Spike's throne beside Twilight
>>
>>25581592
We are talking about reasons and redemptions, anon.
>>
>>25580709
>redeemded

Wait until Season 6 or [spoilers] The MLP Movie
>>
>>25581572
Sure, but she said herself that she didn't even try to make any because she was afraid of the Cutie Mark appearing again (even after she and potential friends already had their Cutie Marks). She's smart and not as socially awkward as Twilight, so that seemed forced due to the short amount of time they had.
>>
>>25580709
my problem with it was, that she decided to give twilights theory about friendship being awesome a chance, but when they traveled back to the future she acted like she KNEW friendship is awesome, but just hasn't tried it yet
>>
>>25581876
Sour grapes. If you can't have it, the next best thing to do is convince yourself you didn't want it anyways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

Look at all those ponies with friends out there. Doing friend things. What losers. Like those dickwads getting all those grapes that I can't jump up and catch. Probably sour grapes anyways. Fuck them and fuck their grapes.

>>25581451
But if we never grow up and take those risks, then we never have to worry about whether those grapes were sour or not. PGTOW!
>>
>>25580825
I'd just fuck with people. Pushing chairs out of the way, moving glasses of water, nothing too extreme.
>>
>>25581876
>>25581989
She wasn't against the friendship as the idea though, she just thought that cutimark can put a rift between friends because that would make one superior over another.
>>
I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING
THE MAP IS STILL THERE SO WE GET TO GO TO LIKE A MILLION PLACES IN THE FUTURE
>>
>>25581093
>It's the same shit as Moondancer
Someone can't into psychology
>>
>>25582281

We always could have gone to a million places, the map is just a lazy expository excuse to make the writers not need to think how to write a real introduction
>>
>>25582554
But it is though. The difference is that Starlight had the balls to do something about it instead of becoming a NEET.
>>
>>25580757
Time to add to my "Twilight points a gun to kill herself" folder again...
>>
>>25580709
Glimmer only gave up because she was proven that her methods would destroy the world. That's literally the only reason. Twilight till ruined everything for her. Glimmer sacrificed her hatred and her victory to save the world because it was the only way to prevent the big bads of the world from taking over without the mcguffin chosen ones that are the mane six.
>>
ITT: Psychology professors
>>
>>25580850
It would have been better if Sunburst y got his mark, ran across the street to show people, but got hit by a carriage on the way. More emotional impact, you know?
>>
What really I think changed her mind was seeing Equestria completely destroyed. My guess is that this will somehow be caused by the Season 6 villain. Lets face it to, Season 6 might very well be the last season of MLP.
>>
>>25580825
I'm certain there are people who would go beyond that and recreate the world exactly as it had been and keep destroying it simply because they can
>>
>>25583961
Yeah but instead of going on an ideological crusade against cutie marks, it'd be against carriages and nobody'd care except for her shrink.
>>
>>25582011
hi discord.
>>
>>25580709
Mykan would approve of her.
>>
>>25580709
i rate her "betrayed friendship" out of "power of friendship show"
>>
>>25580709
Two glaring things bother me about this episode.

>Starlight is shown to be a cunning bitch and has taken her time throughout the season.
>Masters a time spell to bring her to any point in time & place.
>Doesn't go back in time to where the books fell on her, to fix that from happening.

My second gripe is;

>Everytime Twilight returns to the past she remembers each of the terrible futures.
>Everytime Twilight returns to the past, Starlight remembers how Twilight tried to stop her.
>Spell teleports Starlight back to the past only when Twilight activates it.

So does that mean Starlight lived through each and every timeline, over 10ish years watching it get worse each time. Yet seeing nothing wrong with fucking up the past when she got whisked back there each time?

>inb4 just a kids show
>>
File: starlight.jpg (109 KB, 875x1300) Image search: [Google]
starlight.jpg
109 KB, 875x1300
Her motivation was to spare other ponies from the misery and injustice she felt the cutie marks did to herself. She never really wanted any harm done to ponykind. After the opener she lost all and was even more broken inside then before. She wanted to prove to herself and ponykind that her way of leading society is better than the status quo.
This is exactly the reason why she gives up, after Twilight said that she cannot defeat Starlight and shows her instead, what her actions actually did. Starlight realizing she led personal reasons get the better of her is reminded that her goal used to be make everything better and accepts her mistake.
For me the plot is positive overall.
>>
>>25584191
There's actually infinite timelines.
>>
File: 1298482723473.jpg (704 KB, 1920x1140) Image search: [Google]
1298482723473.jpg
704 KB, 1920x1140
>>25580825
Wouldn't mind creating a wasteland out of it
>>
>>25584191
To issue 1: She feels that the marks are evil and want to disrupt their influence on the society. In her mind it's not only about herself.
>>
File: starlight 2.png (425 KB, 1017x786) Image search: [Google]
starlight 2.png
425 KB, 1017x786
>>
>>25580709
Worst story pacing.

Best villain.
>>
>>25584191
>Doesn't go back in time to where the books fell on her, to fix that from happening
I'm guessing she doesn't think that would solve anything. Sooner or later, either filly SG or the that colt would discover their cutie mark, and that would drive them apart. Adult SG is fundamentally convinced that the mere existence of cutie marks means that ponies will be forced apart. The falling books only made that "fact" clear for her.
Her origin is weak as it is, but if they had just given her 30 seconds to elaborate on what she means and how that event was significant, it could have worked really well.

>So does that mean Starlight lived through each and every timeline
Presumably not. It may be that Twilight's return to the past cast both of them to that moment. In other words, when Twilight goes to the present, nothing happens to SG. But when Twilight returns, SG is transported from the post-fight past to the pre-fight past.
>>
>>25580825
OR they could shape the world in their image instead of destroying it.
>>
>>25580825
They also wouldn't stop just because Twilight talks at them. They'd force her to kill them. If she even could.
>>
>>25584552
The tinniest of detail to fix my first issue, and make things more interesting in my opinion, would be if the books fell over because of the Rainboom. Which would give much more credence to wanting to stop it from happening. And fucking over Twilight would just be a bonus.

I suppose...in a way I guess..that after the fight and Twi went to the future, you could say Starlight simply vanished. So I suppose I can let this one slide. Though the conveniences of how perfectly this time spell works for the plot, is still irritating.
>>
>>25584685
>the books fell over because of the Rainboom
I'd avoid that, because it kind of misses the entire point of what SG stood for.
See, the M6's cutie marks and the rainboom are not the norm, right? But SG is against cutie marks themselves, mundane as they are.
It's kind of essential that it has to be a mundane event that SG is rebelling against.
>>
>>25584891
I appreciate the discussion. You did change my thoughts on my second issue. But as for the motivation of SG, I wholly feel like there is so much wrong. For someone who dislikes cutie marks/special talents dividing people she self taught herself how to be a unicorn on par with Alicorn Twilight, a pony who grew up her entire life with formal magical training. For someone who just wants everyone to be equal, she sure did elevate herself so high to like the 0.1% of Unicorns. I honestly find it hard to understand/accept the fact that a whole season went by with Starlight planning to go back in time, and even achieving (supposedly) something Twilight couldn't do by modifying Starswirl's time spell. That it never once occurred to her to just fix the book incident in her life. Because even if she stops the Rainboom from happening, that means the book incident still happens. Her friend leaves her, and she is all alone. She isn't fixing anything. Then again, why not even just go back in time to stop Twilight from revealing her secret to her town?
>>
>>25584015
chara pls
>>
>>25585148
>But as for the motivation of SG, I wholly feel like there is so much wrong.
I can assure you that you're not alone there. I'm not especially pleased with what we got.

>For someone who dislikes cutie marks/special talents dividing people she self taught herself how to be a unicorn on par with Alicorn Twilight, a pony who grew up her entire life with formal magical training.
From a more meta perspective, this is something that reeks of being done for the narrative to be enabled rather than to make sense in the story. That is to say, it's written this way to enable SG to be a obstacle to Twilight, so that the story can even take place.
That said, there's nothing inherently wrong about doing what she did, even within her frame of view. What seems to upset her is that qtmarks are "thrust upon" ponies unequally, which fundamentally drives them apart. Training to become good at something isn't thrust upon you, it's something you make the decision to do. If that separates you from others, then it is so by your choice, as a direct result of chosen actions.
You could also argue that she's training to become able to do something about the "problem", in a sense making it the lesser evil.
>>
>>25585432
>it never once occurred to her to just fix the book incident in her life.
Yeah, it's not the best of writing, but it does make some sense. SG kind of thinks that she has seen the truth, that qtmarks are a bad thing. This is just the event that woke her up to it. Making the event not happen would not fix the underlying issue. In fact, from her perspective, fixing the book incident would only postpone the inevitable. Even if it worked, she wouldn't fix anything, just stop herself from becoming aware of the issue. She would choose ignorance over anything else.
If you had a traumatic event that made you think the entire political system was wrong, what would it really fix to stop that trauma from happening? You wouldn't have fixed the system. If you believed in your cause, you would realize that you wouldn't fix anything but your own suffering in that single event.

>She isn't fixing anything.
It might be that she thinks she is. If she sees Twilight and her friends as champions of everything SG is against, it would for her make sense to stop them from ever doing their thing. But it's a weaker point in the episode.
>>
>>25585432
>>25585451
That makes me think, what happened when Starlight got her cutiemark? Did she get excited about it or she just didn't care at all because she already made her mind that cutiemarks means nothing to ponies?
>>
File: tmp_1383372200865-1316839695.jpg (32 KB, 383x383) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1383372200865-1316839695.jpg
32 KB, 383x383
>>25580709
You forgot the part Twilight showed her the future she chose

That probably persuaded her maybe a teensy bit
>>
>>25584191
>So does that mean Starlight lived through each and every timeline, over 10ish years watching it get worse each time.
I think they were going for this idea that if Twilight left and then came back in time, Starlight would be sent back in time almost instantaneously from when Twilight went back to the future from her perspective.
>>
>>25585546
>she already made her mind that cutiemarks means nothing to ponies
She believed the exact opposite. If they meant nothing, there would be no issue.

As for getting her own mark, I can't help but think it must have saddened her. The book incident had broken her belief in qtmarks, but at least there's some common ground, some equality between blankflanks.
Now she too was cast into a role not of her choosing, that would forever help define her, and in her eyes drive her away from others.
>>
>>25585546
Cognitive dissonance at first considering she could use it to achieve her goals yet at the same time it represented the very thing she hated, but by then she was so deluded she did some serious mental gymnastics to justify it.
>>
>>25585700
I don't think the mental gymnastics were that serious. It's not like you have a choice.
When you're convinced that you need to stop weapons manufacturing, but your only method is a gun, there aren't really that many ways you can go about it.
>>
>>25580999
Checked
>>
>>25580709
>motivation is bf dumped her

uh what

I missed the episode today so someone explain
>>
>>25585798
>help guys i can't watch 40 minutes of kids cartoons pls explain
>>
>>25584191
See >>25580991
>>
>>25580709
After Sombra became really fucking metal in the same two parter. Yes, you're right OP.
>>
>>25585432
>>25585148
I personally think it's a decent motive, it was just really fucking rushed and Starlight didn't really explain how that incident influenced her radical beliefs, which sort of just leaves you guessing/focusing only on the fact she lost her friend. I think if she had like a 30 second monologue thrown in there it could be fixed easily.

At the very least that means it can be addressed and expanded in S6. Unlike Twilicorn which was totally devoid of logic and they haven't even bothered to try and justify it in anyway.
>>
File: 1448156637477.jpg (52 KB, 540x536) Image search: [Google]
1448156637477.jpg
52 KB, 540x536
Reminds me of Big Boss
>>
>>25584560
Their image might be a destroyed world.
>>
>>25587358
Good point
>>
>>25580709
At last she had one

Discord and Sombra were evil for no reason.
Tirek's one was worse.
>>
File: asswipe.webm (242 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
asswipe.webm
242 KB, 1920x1080
>>25580709
At least she's still a qt 3.14
>>
>>25580825
Pretty much this. I'd do something that effects everyone negatively, just to say "fuck you all for being happy and having normal lives when I can't." Yeah that makes me shit. Good thing us spergs will never have power.
>>
File: sneaky_sneaky_by_atryl-d4t0e90.png (471 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
sneaky_sneaky_by_atryl-d4t0e90.png
471 KB, 900x720
>Implying Twilight is not just as bad for befriending her
In before justifies evil.
>>
>>25581512
>Unlike chrysalis or sombra or tirek, glimmer was actually more powerful than twilight
Uh? All of them were more powerful than Twilight. She barely fought Tirek to a standstill after absorbing the power of the three other alicorns. The reason Twilight had to rely on words was that the rainbow lasers were inaccessible with the time fuckery Glimmer was pulling.

But as for SG's backstory, I actually liked it. "She got mad cuz no bf" is missing the point. She was faced with close friends growing up and moving on and she didn't want anyone to suffer the same ever again so she decided to create a community where no one stands out or "grows up". It's actually very relatable for a lot of people here if you think about it. Making her just have a political agenda like a lot of people here seem to want would make it even less original and certainly less emotionally charged.

The problem as I see it is not the backstory but the endgame. Redemption by friendship at this point is incredibly trite, not to mention the sheer similarity to the Moondancer's episode, EqG Sunset as well as Discord's entire arc.

I just don't know what to make out of it. Ideally the whole story would be set up with less redemption fuel lest it turn out as trite as it is. It would be also nice if Starlight was consumed by a pime taradox just as she start to realize her mistakes, but that would be too heavy for a children's cartoon I feel.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.