[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did the IDW comics die for you, /mlp/? >tfw they died
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: 1446085939055.jpg (113 KB, 640x848) Image search: [Google]
1446085939055.jpg
113 KB, 640x848
When did the IDW comics die for you, /mlp/?

>tfw they died before Reflections for me, in the dumb 80s references arc
>>
>>25452452
When they decided to exist.
>>
>>25452452
>>25452452
Died during reflections, but FF is still a mixed accepted line for me.

I'm just really disenchanted with the main line.
>>
>>25452477
But anon, aren't you excited for Radiant Sue to make the ultimate sacrifice for her husbando?
>>
>>25452452
>When did the IDW comics die for you, /mlp/?
They were stillborn, Anon. There was no life when they came out
>>
>>25452665
Did people only like them because S3 was weak?
>>
>>25452725
The starting comics were strong, but then they (writers and artists) got way over their heads and tried to break/make a lot of the lore that the show doesn't explore as much and as well as a lot of the twitter drama in general.
>>
>>25452738
I haven't read the comics, but this is consistent with what others say around here. There was a fair bit of praise for the inter-quell (btw S2 and S3) comics.
>>
>>25452738
Like what? The only thing that was consistent with them trying to control was Chrysalis and Sombra. They overused both of them and ran them into the ground in terms of characterization.
>>
I liked the main series up to the Big Mac story, the Cadence/Shiny was decent, pirate adventure was readable, story-eating catterpillar was meh.
Didn't bother with (paying for) later comics, occasionally download and browse new releases but end up deleting them.
The original micro-series was very mixed quality (Fluttershy was absolute shit-tier), anything else except Rarity/Applejack is shit.
>>
>>25452725
It was a few things from my point of view.
> S3 was weak
> When the Twilicorn shitstorm hit I remember some people looking to the first couple main comics series arcs to provide 'classic Twilight'.
> First arc took a very popular villain (Chrysalis) and cranked the adventure and grimdark knobs up, giving a lot of people hope that the comics would provide the extended, more mature adventure stories a lot of people wanted.
> First arc writing was also legitimately good compared to things nowadays, and lacked a lot of the dumbest jokes and popculture references

That's not to say they were perfect by any means, but the worst warning signs hadn't been seen yet and especially when Twilicorn rolled around people wanted to hope.

>>25452452
To answer OP, they were maimed horribly by the nightmarity arc, put into a coma by Reflections, and then taken out back and buried in a shallow grave by virtually everything subsequently.
>>
>>25452794
>maimed by Nightmarity

This was the zenith of the comics for me. People said it maimed them>
>>
>>25452794
>When the Twilicorn shitstorm hit I remember some people looking to the first couple main comics series arcs to provide 'classic Twilight'.

I remember people reacting to Twilicorn being introduced in the comics. Good times.
>>
>>25452776
Reflections, mostly. There's also the inconsistent characterizations (Rarity falling head over heels with nearly everyone, Twilight refusing to use magic in the bulls arc despite already have done a lot that in the show, etc.)
>>
File: The faces of Spike.png (466 KB, 950x600) Image search: [Google]
The faces of Spike.png
466 KB, 950x600
>>25452452
Reading the first arc was pretty entertaining with giving us a background look beyond the TV show but that quickly faded when the newness wore off and was replaced with sub par writing and questionable character designs.
>>
>>25452452
When Ted "Men are all shitlords but I'm different, pls sleep with me" Anderson managed to squeeze his fat ass through the door and was given a job because they couldn't push him back out.
>>
>>25452865
>Oh no, the last good thing in the MLP series to be tainted by the cruel alicorn infection

Yeah, I remember the threads before we lost faith in it.
>>
They're as good as they've ever been, except for IDW's gigantic boner for Sombra, the most generic and uninteresting villain the show ever had.

>>25452725
When Twilight was princessed, the autists made this big about how the comics were going to be the true continuity bedause Twilight didn't have wings. Then they started drawing wings on comic Twilight and the butthurt was redoubled.
>>
>>25452868
I think when they started letting people who had no idea what the series was or why it was actually popular write/draw for it, things collapsed.
>>
>>25452892
I wish some of IDW's better writers would write once for MLP.

I'd buy one from Nick Roche.
>>
>>25452794
>To answer OP, they were maimed horribly by the nightmarity arc, put into a coma by Reflections, and then taken out back and buried in a shallow grave by virtually everything subsequently.
Thank you anon, this pretty accurately sums up my thoughts. When Nightmarity happened, I thought "Wow, this is BAD, but hey, just a bad arc right? They can't all be like this?" And I ended up being wrong.
>>
>>25452978
Despite it literally being IDW's best selling series for years now, there's a dearth of writers for it. It's insane. It's completely proven at this point and has a good amount of freedom. It's just that no one at IDW's other stuff wants to touch it.
>>
>>25453001
They'd probably rather write for Frozen than MLP.
>>
>>25453014
Some of them do work on Disney properties too. But I don't get how the stigma is still there when IDW as a company is basically being held up by ponies and has for years now. Actually, I think that might have been bad for their reputation? It wasn't great before but now it's probably worse.
>>
>>25452832

Because of how completely contrary it ran to what we knew of Nightmare Moon. They weren't just introducing new ideas, they threw in something that completely invalidated the idea of Luna willingly becoming Nightmare (and, in my mind, sucked all the emotional depth from her backstory by doing so).

Then as the comic goes on the "nightmare forces" turn out to be a stereotypical dumb villain that barely pose a threat and can be fooled by the simplest of measures. So, not only did they fuck up Nightmare/Luna's backstory, but what they replaced it with wasn't even interesting.

Those bits (among other things) served as a huge flashing warning sign to me that while the first arc may have been good, the IDW writers could not be trusted to keep their writing on the same quality level - that they'd throw in their own "cool" ideas, no matter how poorly they fit with the setting or narrative.
>>
>>25453125
Did you even make it to the Nightmare Moon Fiendship with the moon furbies and Celestia brainwashing?
>>
File: killme.gif (2 MB, 445x250) Image search: [Google]
killme.gif
2 MB, 445x250
>>25452870
I didn't hate all of his shit, but his tone doesn't fit MLP. With him getting a job, it was the final nail in the coffin, especially after Reflections.

Plus, he's been getting worse, if that's even possible.
>>
>>25453419
He is really full of himself.
>>
>>25453419
Is he still trying to get a job in hasbro by emailing them random scripts or did he finally figure out how a resume works?
>>
>>25452452
They lost me at the very beginning with their Family Guy tier pop culture references and "we want the reddit audience" pandering.
>>
The Nightmare Rarity and Chrysalis arcs were great. Some of the original solo comics were good too.

Then Reflections happened with its fanfic tier bullshit and everything went to shit.
>>
I liked the idea behind NMR ( a fragment of NMM's essence being able to possess somepony else among the M6 so that they cant just friendship laser it again) but I agree that it didn't make a lot of sense.

Reflections was the absolute worst. I cant believe they even went that way with the comics. I dropped it entirely after, because between that and IDW writer drama in regards to any criticism that followed, I knew we were in for a bad time.
>>
>>25453535
I think he's secure with his job as a tape jockey in a Minnesota middle school. That's his day job.
>>
>>25452794
The moment we got a comic after MMC aired where she didn't have wings, only I seemed to understand out of this whole board that Hasbro would eventually force them to add in her Princesshood into the comics.

Being caught up in the small shitstorm that came about when it happened still sucked major ass, though.
>>
I never liked them, too American for me. Ugly, noisy artstyle and obnoxious writing. Ultra American things like this suck.
I would prefer if they were more like Carl Barks. I know that's too much to expect, but that's what I wanted.
>>
>>25453650
The main artist for the franchise always draws his characters pissed off.
>>
I already started to dislike it at Nightmarity.
>>
>>25453183
Yeah, I did. At that point I couldn't even be bothered to care anymore, though - no longer is stuff being shitty a surprise, but rather reading them and finding the occasional genuinely good story a more pleasant shock.
>>
File: 944929.jpg (49 KB, 695x472) Image search: [Google]
944929.jpg
49 KB, 695x472
Comics were hanging on by a thread to me but this arc is where I totally gave up.
>>
>>25454835
Was just about to say this. Literally Captain Planet tier. Might as well have had a global warming aesop squished in.
>>
I was disappointed with Reflections, but I was still fine for that and the next several issues. It was Holiday season 2014 where the main series just up killed itself and has been going down a downward spiral ever since. For those who need a refresher, Holiday 2014 was the triple wammy of the Bull-Shit arc, the Captain Planet arc, and the IDW Ruined Christmas Special.

>>25452870
Honestly, Ted, in spite of his shitty views, was probably one of the better writers on IDW as long as he didn't touch EQG. The only issue that he's written that I remember being "meh" was the wrestling issue. Everything else was fine (even the Power Ponies annual in spite of what came out of that). It's when he touches anything related to EQG that everything goes to shit.
>>
>>25454884
You haven't seen his most recent comic then.
>>
>>25454895
Which one?
>>
>>25454884
Oh god the bulls. I completely forgot the bulls and the ridiculous "I can't magic them for reasons" bullshit.
>>
>>25454895
Which one is that? The Pinkie/Twilight one?
>>
Speaking of the comics, whatever happened to that dan dashly guy who dumped all the comics here?
>>
>>25455745
He does it sometimes but brand new comics can barely reach the bump limit anyway.
>>
>>25454964
That arc was actually rewritten and originally had the Bulls as treasure hunters rather than bandits.
>>
The sad part is, I don't think they ever try, not even with trying to be bad. Nearly every idea is plagued with bad execution which kills the so bad it is good factor.

That was my hopes with the comics, they were going to push ideas to ridiculous levels. Having darker story arcs, then having ridiculous story arcs, this is how the first two arcs felt then things went boring.
>>
>>25455977
I think they care more about art honestly.
>>
>>25455994
Art CAN be a huge factor though, but the art is occasionally just as dull and sometimes terrible as well.
>>
>>25456058
I didn't start watching this series just for the art. It also has good writing.
>>
>>25455994
Then why did they hire Fosgitt? He can't even draw cutie marks he steals clipart for them.
>>
>>25455444
No that was a different writer
>>
>>25456655
What was his most recent?
>>
When I realized they didn't really follow the show canon, I don't have time for high-budget fanfiction.
>>
>>25456684
The Spike/Zecora FF issue. I thought it was fine, though I heard some didn't like that the Spike/Luna issue and Dragon Quest was brought up again.
>>
>>25457520
Oh man, the stupid one where the climax of the story was a fucking Ghostbusters reference? Where Zecora was sad that she couldn't get a horrible disease that she believed only ponies got because it made her feel left out? I honestly think Ted just writes stupid shit because he knows he can.

Bringing up the Spike/Luna issue was especially funny because Spike said pretty much the opposite of the moral that Whitley's preachy OC screamed at him in his issue with Zecora.
>>
>>25457559
Nothing really stood out as awful in that issue for me and I haven't really watched Ghostbusters so I can't say anything about any references.
>>
>>25457577
The Spike/"Luna" issue was worse. For some reason you can't read a Whitley story without his shit OCs dominating.
>>
File: 1430326195910.png (43 KB, 900x395) Image search: [Google]
1430326195910.png
43 KB, 900x395
>>25454896
>>25455444
The Pinkie/Celestia one.

SIM
BA
Extra points if you get what I'm talking about.
>>
>>25457719
All I remember about that one was the stolen clip art.
>>
>>25457719
The Pinkie/Celestia one was written by Christina Rice.
>>
>>25452452
Yet you still read them.
>>
File: 1446597326788.png (2 MB, 896x1100) Image search: [Google]
1446597326788.png
2 MB, 896x1100
>>25457821
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.