[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's something from the show that makes you cringe? For
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162 KB, 1280x720
What's something from the show that makes you cringe? For me it's the Pinkie Promise.
>>
>>25444854
Applejacks mane.
>>
>cringes from pinkie promise
>>
>>25444854
The intro, the over the top crap, the trying to hard to be funny things, and the annoying references the shill out
>>
>>25444882
What's wrong with the intro
>>
>>25444882
I have noticed that the things that ponies laugh at really aren't very funny, while things they perceive as mundane can be downright hilarious.

I think ponies fundamentally have a different sense of humor from humans.
>>
File: 1444592500073.png (724 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444592500073.png
724 KB, 1920x1080
>>25444854

>That Applelicious crap from Pinkie Apple Pie
>That horse mask from Scare Master
>All Discord episodes past S3
>Nearly all of Slice of Life

That about covers it
>>
>>25444854
This exchange
http://youtu.be/gwXWBmI0IN4
>>
>>25444854
the show itself
>>
Discord episodes.
>>
>>25444854
Nothing.

I always remember that it's a show for children.
>>
Everything from season 3 onwards
>>
>>25445006
This [to be honest] [family]
>>
Only thing I can think of is this. I can't even watch it all the way through.

https://youtu.be/MUlvbgGcK6w
>>
File: 1443822063071.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1443822063071.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
>>25445006
>>25445025
>>
>>25445252
Yeah, that was terrible. The Grinch reference was even worse. Blemishes on an otherwise terrific episode.

I don't get why the writers upped the amount pop-culture references so much this season. It's so beneath the show's regular quality. At best it simply doesn't need it, and at worst it detracts from the overall quality.

Normally I cringe when bronies complain to writers, since it's fundamentally a show for kids, but the pop-culture references are clearly for the adult audience, yet it's counterintuitively the most immature aspect of the show's writing. I wouldn't mind if a few bronies complained about it, since it's clearly there for us, but for some reason most seem to like it.

Nothing makes me cringe more than bronies recommending the show because "muh Big Lebowski reference".
>>
>>25444854
Big Mac in drag
>>
>>25444854
every time spike talks is cringe. they need to start kicking spike whenever he talks without permission.
>>
>>25445446
I'm torn on that one. On one hand it was a really low-brow joke, not really funny in the first place, and they stretch it out over an entire episode. The Adam's apple gag was kinda funny, but everything else was just tiring.

On the other hand it triggered the fuck outta progressives, so I feel kinda obliged to like it.
>>
When Twilight was explaining the history of the wonder bolts and how the name came to be I almost doubled over on how forced and cliche it was. At least the rap was meant to be ironic.
>>
>>25445476
>the rap
I remember being like "oh god no" until I realized it was a gag
>>
>>25444854
Spike.
>>
When everyone laughs at some weak bit of wordplay or silliness.
Nobody wants to watch other people laugh. It is an uncomfortable experience.
>>
>>25445466
>On the other hand it triggered the fuck outta progressives, so I feel kinda obliged to like it.
I don't understand that logic, anon. I mean I like it when tumblr cries about shit too, but that episode was bad, and Big Mac was bad in it.

I don't want to encourage things that are shit just because tumblr thinks they're shit, too.
>>
>>25444854
All the Spike episodes. Basically this >>25445498
>>
Basically all of Tanks for the Memories.
>>
>>25445498
>>25445539
my niggas. spikes a shit and should be shot.
>>
>>25445517
Yeah, I know. I was being frivolous.

I don't wanna be too harsh, because at least the writers tried something new. However, it really didn't work. The feels at the end were real though.

At least until he did the voice again.
>>
>>25445457
kek
>>
File: Rainbow-Flying.png (488 KB, 954x698) Image search: [Google]
Rainbow-Flying.png
488 KB, 954x698
>>25445544
Tanks For The Memories was brilliant, nigger.
>>
>>25445599
They should have made it an actual pet death episode. Maybe then I'd have actually felt sorry for Dash.
>>
>>25445506
Someone needs to say this to the show's staff. Especially Neal.
>>
>>25445610
Yeah, I agree that would make it better, but it's fundamentally made for little kids. I can forgive it and read between the lines a little.

Even The Fox And The Hound didn't kill off a character which should have died for story purposes, yet I don't see people calling that film shit.

Nor should they. It's a pretty good film.
>>
>>25445667
>it's fundamentally made for little kids.
That's no excuse for cartoons to pussyfoot around the subject of death. The Lion King was for kids too but they had a couple of pretty violent/sad on-screen deaths with Mufasa and then Scar. Kids can handle that shit, people need to stop mollycoddling them.

Fucking Sesame Street even tackled the subject of death, why not ponies?
>>
>>25445610
>kids show
Kids whose friends have moved school, kids going to summer camp, whatever, this episode applies to all sort of shit that kids might cry about
>>
>>25445667
>>25445695
the disney adaption of The Hunchback of Notre-Dame had a religious fanatic villain who wanted to commit genocide and even did a song about eternal damnation. just because it's aimed kids, doesn't mean you can't talk about mature subject matters like death.
>>
>>25445728
If they kill off Tank, Hasbro will have one less toy to sell,
plus I don't want to give the lazy writers an excuse to make a Find a Pet 2.0
>>
>>25445695
The Lion King has a slightly different target demographic than My Little Pony. It's quite a bit older, and even originally intended for adults just as much as children. I agree that it would make the drama more poignant for austists like us, but you have to understand that they might have gotten complaints up the ass from parents if they featured pet deaths. It sucks, but it is what it is. I think it's good to judge something by the limitations and restrictions of the creators. It's still a terrific episode.

Also, when did Sesame Street handle death?
>>
>>25445764
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NjFbz6vGU8
>>
>>25444854
In show Dash worship:
>free copy with in story insert
>appointed to an official Equestria games position because
>town all cerebrate her birthday and help her with her homework because
To name some.
>>
>>25445764
a 1983 episode dealt with mr. hoopers death.
>>
>Tanks For The Memories
>terrific episode

kill yourself
>>
>>25445728
Like I said, Disney films are made for slightly older kids than the ones My Little Pony aims for. I think it's unfair to say MLP should do what Disney does, since the writers clearly don't have that level of creative freedom.

I mean, in Over A Barrel, natives and settlers literally fought by throwing pies at one another.
>>
>>25445034

I still haven't watched or heard this past like 5 seconds. I can't force myself to sit through it.
>>
>>25445764
>they might have gotten complaints up the ass from parents if they featured pet deaths.
Just goes to show how pussified this generation is. I wish that people could see that this excessive shielding of children from reality is part of the problem with much of today's youth.
>>
>>25445667
>cause it's fundamentally made for little kids.
Bitch, even Mr. Rogers respected children enough to discuss pet death.

It's never discussing death in the first place that does more harm.
>>
>>25445034
god damn, spike should have been hospitalized for that. I'd beat the shit out of him with a lead pipe if I were there.
>>
>>25445396
I get you on the references. But did you like Discord's "Bob Ross" reference? I thought it fit his character perfectly, while also advancing the general plot of the episode.
>>
DUDE

AWESOME
20% COOLER

LMAO
>>
File: image.png (275 KB, 549x601) Image search: [Google]
image.png
275 KB, 549x601
The entire show is utter shit, the fandom is one of the worst things in the world. Every thing associated with mlp is complete and utter shit with no redeeming value.

a-am I cool now?
>>
I was right there with you until the end.
>>
File: viper.jpg (26 KB, 647x340) Image search: [Google]
viper.jpg
26 KB, 647x340
>>25445885
>Telling the truth is never cool
>>
>>25445814
>>25445836
I agree, kids should learn the truth about death, but it's simply not the way a lot of parents do it. There's a lot of them who still treat their kids like morons and lie to them about their goldfish going to some elusive farm, rather than telling them the truth about Goldie doing it's final dive into a toilet bowl. These parents would complain to Hasbro when the show their kids watched, which normally just feature cute ponies doing cute things, suddenly killed off a character without warning. It's stupid, but the customer's always right, and the writers simply didn't have the freedom to go all the way.

I feel like criticizing that aspect of the episode is futile, since you're not really criticizing the writers so much as you're criticizing the cultural zeitgeist, which is completely out of their control.
>>
I was right there with you until that bit at the end.
>>
>>25445861
That was tasteful enough to actually work, it made sense in context, and it's a bit more forgivable when Discord does it.

A reference isn't bad by definition, but it has to come from a sincere place, rather than just be pandering horseshit.
>>
File: 1278.jpg (20 KB, 998x894) Image search: [Google]
1278.jpg
20 KB, 998x894
>>25444928
>>Nearly all of Slice of Life
I was with you right up until there.
>>
File: different opinion detected.png (160 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
different opinion detected.png
160 KB, 894x894
>>25444928
>All Discord episodes past S3
Three's a Crowd is one of favourite episodes
>>
How about that one hidden image near the end of slice of life?
>>
>>25446010
Wait, scratch that, I thought you meant slice of life episodes, not Slice of Life the episode.

Yeah you're good.
>>
>>25446068
What image?
>>
File: Map.png (513 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Map.png
513 KB, 1280x720
>>25444928
This was adorable. What it's based on in meta doesn't matter. In the show, it's just a little song that she made up on the spot.
>>
>>25446167
This. Applebloom a cute.
>>
>>25445757
they could always kill off spike, it's not like hasbro will want to replace him.
>>
>>25446441
Except they do, they demanded Spike in the first place. It's Faust and McCarthy who didn't/don't give two shits about him.
>>
>>25444854
The entire episode 100
>>
>>25445396
You've stated that references bother you and somehow detract from the show's "quality", but you haven't said a word as to why.
>>
>>25446573
McCarthy likes Spike.
>>
>>25447771
Because they very often don't add anything to the show, rather they often distract from the actual plots, and it overall just comes across as pandering. It takes next to no creativity to come up with a non-sequitur pop-culture reference.

Take the Shining reference from the Smooze episode as an example. What did that add to the episode? How do you excuse that this reference takes up ten seconds, completely breaks the pacing, and fully ruins any sort of immersion?

It just feels insulting. I love The Shining, but just randomly referencing it adds nothing but distraction to the current circumstances. It's just bad writing.
>>
>>25448879
You know the fandom will throw a fit if there is ever a blatantly obvious Sonic reference.
>>
>>25447771
Also, if a person were to watch this scene with no foreknowledge of The Shining, which probably describes the vast majority of kids watching this show, they would have no idea what's going on. As a result, it doesn't stand on it's own as a piece of fiction.
>>
>>25448900
Of course, a huge chunk of the fandom is literally autistic.

Let's hope they never do that. MLP/Sonic crossovers are the worst thing since breast cancer.
>>
File: 1447439953208.gif (449 KB, 286x119) Image search: [Google]
1447439953208.gif
449 KB, 286x119
>>25445034
Is there a single person that can watch it without cringing?
>>
>>25445034
NAILED IT!
>>
>>25445788
Well she did save horseland several times.
>>
>>25444854
The continued abuse of Spike, especially from the mare who knows he has a crush on her.
>>
>>25445034
>>25449320
I didn't cringe, but only because it reminded me of that scene from Borat so I couldn't help but find it a little funny.
>>
Fuck anyone who says the Spike Equestria Games song despite it being a huge part of his character development and requiring failure to make the episode end good.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.