[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whenever writefags create dialogue, I feel uneasy with any pony
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: Grinds-my-gears1.jpg (33 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
Grinds-my-gears1.jpg
33 KB, 500x379
Whenever writefags create dialogue, I feel uneasy with any pony characters using swear words. With the exception of the word "bucking," it feels out of place for a cartoon horse from a non-adult cartoon show to use adult language since it is never actually said in the show itself.

Anyone else agree? Disagree? Don't give a shit?
>>
>>25330031
if the point of it is comedy I don't mind

if it's meant to be serious it's shit writing

the thing you're aggravated at is called 'acting out of character'.
>>
>>25330057
/thread
>>
>>25330031
I agree on the "uneasy" part, since they never showed ponies swearing.

BUT
if there's something I learned from internet, it's that fandoms adapt and modify the original material everyday. So, I guess it's awkward, but not that awful.
>>
>Celestia is willing to murder the lone, unarmed human in her realm instead of exiling his ass to the kingdoms next door
>>
>>25330031
For me it's the character. I could see someone like Spitfire or Dash swearing, but not Pinkie or Twilight.
>>
>>25330031
I generally don't care if it's meant to be a goofy ass green in the first place, but if shit starts happening, then I expect them to be more in character.

The only time swearing would feel even remotely "right" in a serious story would be eqg related because they're people. Pastel people, sure but still.
>>
>>25330031
Maybe in the show, the ponies are just acting for the cameras.
>>
File: 1440935198232.jpg (72 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1440935198232.jpg
72 KB, 323x323
>>25330086
>ponies are essentially religious fanatics and the religion is called 'magic'
>even though we see technology in the fucking series
>including electricity, steam power, PA systems and firearms
>>
>>25330057
I don't think swearing automatically makes it shit writing. if its a tense moment and the character is supposed to be really frustrated or aggravated, it works if done well. but swearing to seem deep and mature doesn't work
>>
>>25330031
What if it was a griffin, say Gilda, who was saying a handful of mild swears in a particularly serious moment? Like a character she cares about was just in a life-threatening situation and she was expressing her frustration immediately afterward?
>>
>>25330158
>firearms
Where?
>>
>Anon literally has green skin
>>
"Bucking" is a dumb substitute. I dont think characters should be randomly cussing up a storm, but using "bucking" for anything except to describe actual bucking is retarded. It's not even used as a swear in the show
>>
>>25330357
Pinkie had a crossbow and a cannon
>>
>>25330385
Green is easier to edit with CG. Haven't you ever heard of green screen?
>>
>>25330491
>fics where the writefag describes Anon as having green skin

Is what I meant to imply.
>>
>>25330031
What constitutes a swear? I could see a pone saying "ass" but not so much "shit" or "fuck". I should go read some of my shit, see if I've ever written them swearing. I don't like it much either, but it'd be fun to read a fic of Rainbow asking why the hay Anon keeps calling her Top Cunt. Or teaching pone his rad human swear words, something like that.
>>
>>25330385
Impartial to this. I do however, love it more ambiguous but maybe making snide little nods to it.

>"Gosh Anon, you look really sick! You're turning green!"
>>
File: 1391280918383.png (137 KB, 319x367) Image search: [Google]
1391280918383.png
137 KB, 319x367
>>25330507
Well, duh. How else is the reader going to insert their own skin color?
>>
File: 1446336380843.png (98 KB, 401x577) Image search: [Google]
1446336380843.png
98 KB, 401x577
>>25330391
But it makes more sense in their world to have their own kind of language and their own sense of humor that is different from ours
>>
File: Bateman.jpg (48 KB, 442x493) Image search: [Google]
Bateman.jpg
48 KB, 442x493
>Its yet another Anon in Equestria greentext story
>Anon is already fucking in the OP

Could you guess the name of the fic? It's called ''Every >rape story by every writefag EVER''
>>
>>25330031
>>25330391
>>25330518
>>25330779

The closest to a swear word the show has ever had (overlooking Fluttermean's "flying feather" exclamation) is "heck".

As of S05E21, or Episode #112, "heck" has been said 8 times in the series, by the following characters in the following episodes:

Apple Bloom: 1 (Brotherhooves Social)

Applejack: 5 (The Last Roundup, Games Ponies Play, x2 Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 1, Bats!)

Pinkie Pie: 1 (Too Many Pinkie Pies)

Twilight: 1 (Feeling Pinkie Keen)

If anyone's the cuss-spewer, it's Applejack.
Unless you're looking for general insults, like "stupid" and "loser," then Gilda's your go-to sailor mouth.
>>
>>25330031
We all have our own small irks when it comes to greentext. Me personally I'm always thinking that no community of small horses would just let a human waltz around without a long and traumatizing period of questioning, studying and observations on the tall monkey thing that can talk.

Oh and this;

>>25330809
>>
>>25330031
>It's either a shitty writefag who won't take anybody's advice and improve his techniques that pumps out 2 thread-fulls of his shit every day
or
>A tier 1 writefag who knows the ins-and-outs of writing and basically knows how to push all the right buttons but only updates his story 1 or 2 posts a day (if you get lucky)
>>
>>25330385
This one actually makes me laugh. As stupid as it is to ever have anon, it's funny when he's some freak outcast of humanity.
>>
>>25331087
Personally I kinda wish there were just more anonymous ponies. And not in the "green human just gets turned by magic" way, but those can be interesting.
>>
>>25330031
>With the exception of the word "bucking,"
You fucking kidding me? This is the worst of the lot. The only reason people use it at all is because it sounds like "fucking", and they're too caught up in the same stupid view that you have to realize that ponies ALREADY have plenty of good and fitting swears. Just because they aren't banned by the FCC doesn't mean they aren't swears.
>>
>>25331087
>monkey
That's the issue. We aren't monkeys. They also wouldn't know that. At most it would be like Zecora where they flip out except maybe the kids and a few adults who do their best to help you fit in. Most of the time it would fail because you're doing stupid kid show stuff that you hate. but it would be humorous.
>>
>>25331243
The only reason the ponies were afraid of Zecora is because she was a mysterious cloaked figure from the everfree forest who came into the town periodically and did something unknown. You have to remember that the Everfree is something mysterious and frightening to many of the ponies. Once it was made clear that she wasn't in fact some sort of evil witch however, but rather a friend, the ponies were very much welcoming of her.

The idea that the ponies wouldn't welcome or be friendly to a human is ridiculous, because they surely would. You might get some initial caution from some ponies, but they'd rapidly warm up to you and welcome you, befriend you, etc.

As long as you're not some evil bastard who goes around harming people or something else terrible, you'd be just fine. In Griffon the Brush Off, Gilda was in a pretty bad mood/acted rather mean, and the ponies still went through all the trouble to throw her a party and be exceptionally welcoming.

The fact that they live in a world with a large variant of sapient species also helps. A human is going to be new to them, obviously, but the concept of another intelligent species obviously isn't.
>>
>>25331312
>The idea that the ponies wouldn't welcome or be friendly to a human is ridiculous
No it isn't. They may not avoid you like they did her, but you're this new species that has either never existed before or died out. Hell, humans may have destroyed themselves in pone world and now there are some rumors about you flying around. Point is they wouldn't just accept you with open arms like you were their family.

Gilda was a griffon which exists and is known to people. A human is completely unknown from most if not all of the ponies except maybe the alicorn.

They may not even be negative. It could be as >>25331087 said and they're extremely curious about you and some want to hunt you for being the only human while others want you for science. You don't know how they'd react to a one of a kind creature.
>>
>>25331087
Ponies have plenty of weird creatures that just wander around and damn near everything talks (even squirrels and rats seem to have sentient language capacity, but just can't communicate with ponies).

>>25331243
They didn't trust Zecora because she ACTED weird. She lived in the Everfree, that's like meeting someone who chooses to live in Chernobyl or a resident of Mordor wandering into the Shire for a vacation.
>>
>>25331392
As opposed to a weird being that came from a completely different world?
>>
>>25330779
It makes zero sense to use bucking. A word that has worked as a substitute was "hay" and "heck". Rainbow dash had used the phrase, "What the hay?!" In shocked response before.
Buck is a brony-tier idiot thing to say, period.
>>
>>25331087
This. Usually I try to imagine what it would be like if a strange, but friendly, alien creature suddenly popped up on Earth. There'd probably be a lot more controversy and interest than just "hey! Welcome to our planet!"

I also find it a little hard to believe Obama becoming really good friends with a space alien, and to this effect I think the same about the princesses and Anonymous.
>>
>>25331373
It was heavily implied that Zecora is the first zebra many of the ponies have seen, yet they didn't mistreat her, but rather befriended her. I'm not even sure if Gilda was well known to all of the ponies, considering her being a griffon was explained to Pinkie.

Either way, the ponies really value friendship, so even if some of them are initially a little cautious, I'm very much confident that they'd be quite eager to welcome a human. Especially the ones in Ponyville, who have already experienced quite a lot of extraordinary things.

Also, did you really just suggest that some would want "to hunt" a human? By hunt, you mean kill? That's completely and utter lunacy you're suggesting there. Nobody's going to be taking you against your will for science experiments either.
>>
>>25331470
The difference is that here on Earth, us humans are the only talking, sapient species. Many people are quite convinced that humans are the only possible sapient species, and the rest would also be shocked if another one were to suddenly appear.

Sapient species are much more common in the setting of MLP, so there's much less shock and awe there, I'd say. A human is unique and would be met with some level of interest, but the sapient part is going to be of no controversy. And if the humans is friendly, I certainly see no reason whatsoever to believe the ponies would not be friendly in return.
>>
>>25331476
>yet they didn't mistreat her, but rather befriended her
They had an entire episode about them hiding from her. Humans would be treated the same at first as we'd be some new race different from ponies coming from a completely new world. I'm not saying they'd never accept us, but at first things would start off pretty rocky.

Yes I did. People like Daring Do's villain see no problem with killing for treasure, so why not some dicks hunt creatures for trophies? Also, why not about the science? Who's to say they wouldn't have cruel scientists in their world? Not everything has to be done by those in Ponyville.
>>
>>25331517
As I already explained, their only reason for hiding from her is that she was from the Everfree forest and they had zero understanding of her intentions. That was heavily emphasized. Once it was proven that she wasn't some malevolent "evil enchantress", they welcomed/befriended her quite nicely.

Anyway, you mean to suggest some sort of bizarre villain that hunts rare (and even sapient) creatures? Or mad/cruel scientist villains that perform horrible, unethical experiments? Whether or not something like that would exist anywhere whatsoever in the setting is debatable, but you won't find either of those things in Equestria's society, and if they exist elsewhere, the ponies would obviously protect you from them.

Equestria isn't totally perfect, but it's ultimately a very benevolent place where things like friendship and love are highly valued.
>>
>>25330031
>reading fanfic

You're complaining about the color of the drapes in a shit house built of shit on top of shit.
>>
>>25331503
That's true. Although going beyond physical differences, the thing that would set a human apart in this setting is that they would come from an entirely different planet, or perhaps even another universe. The ponies, like us, can't know for sure if there's life beyond their planet, and Anon would be proof of that.

And I didn't say that humans would necessarily be unfriendly to an alien life form, though there would certainly be a fair share of literal xenophobes and conspiracy theorists and hoaxers. But just ask yourself: if you saw an alien walking around your city streets, even with the prior knowledge of its existence, how would you feel?
>>
>>25331579
Though really, the whole hunting people thing would just be a murderer, plain and simple.

>>25331607
I don't think I'd harbor any ill-will or anything towards it, so long as there was no reason to believe it wasn't harmful. It's true that the tension could be heavy at first, because us humans have been alone until now, but like I said, the ponies are going to be much more accustomed to other sapient species being among them than we are. Not to mention them living in a fantasy setting ensures that extraordinary things aren't exactly going to be terribly rare.

I'm not going to say that there literally won't be ANY ponies who are more wary than normal of you, but I don't think they are going to be anything resembling a majority. I do know you would certainly have the comfort of the show's main characters being quite prepared to welcome and befriend you.
>>
File: image.gif (712 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
712 KB, 320x240
>>25330031
>>
>>25331579
>As I already explained
As I have already explained, a new creature that hardly resembles ponies from a completely different world would be treated like Zecora at least. I never said they wouldn't treat a human nice eventually, but the beginning would be rocky.

It's hardly debatable. We've seen all sorts of villains, so common hunters and dick scientists wouldn't be that different in their world if we're being realistic. It may not happen, but it's always a possibility especially in places where the princesses have a weaker grasp.

You seem to be missing people Like Flim and Flam, Suri I think her name was and that girl in Canterlot Boutique who was stealing Rarity's thunder that are actually common in more urban places. They may not be Discord tier, but they prove that Equestria realistically is not how you seem to think it is.

I want to know why you think that someone who hunts rare creatures is so unrealistic when we have and had people that do the same and almost took out the buffalo in someone recent history.
>>25331607
This. They wouldn't know if the human was an escaped or banished criminal or part of an invasion force. They'd be very cautious for the beginning at least.
>>
File: image.png (33 KB, 250x232) Image search: [Google]
image.png
33 KB, 250x232
>>25331179
>tfw I'm writing for a thread that is being bumped just for my story.
>tfw I can manage only one post a day
>tfw I think it's bad or meh overall
>mfw others are interested in the story, like it, and wonder what happens next.
It bewilders me.
>>
>>25331733
I think the ponies would have much less reason to be suspicious of a human than they were of Zecora initially, if for no other reason than the Everfree is not involved.

And I never said there was no conflict whatsoever or anything like that, but the point still stands that Equestria is a society that highly values friendship, love, and other nice things. There are definitely some ponies who aren't the nicest people in the world, but honestly many of the ponies we've seen like that end up learning their lesson and changing their ways sooner or later. Not all of them have, obviously, but it's still pretty common for them to.

Also, killing animals is not nice, and it's definitely very harmful to the ecosystem to kill rare animals. But we aren't talking about animals like buffalo or rhino or elephants, we're talking about the prospect of someone killing a sapient species like a human, which is quite obviously just murder in any definition of the word. I don't know who you think is going to be able to get away with murdering someone, and for sport no less, but it's certainly not going to happen within the safety of Equestria itself. If some evil villain went around and starting hunting sapient people because they belong to a rarer than normal species, they'd be Equestria's most wanted in no time at all. The ponies would also obviously do everything in their power to make sure that random rogue evil scientists aren't snatching people up for cruel experiments either. I can't imagine such a scientist would even be willing to take that kind of risk, mad or not. Unless we're talking about the overly confident supervillain type, who thinks the heroes will never get him.
>>
File: 1429593947076.gif (1 MB, 505x462) Image search: [Google]
1429593947076.gif
1 MB, 505x462
>>25331828
I know that feel.
>>
>>25331872
I completely disagree because of the fact that they come from a new world. Maybe if they humans just lived on a different part of the planet like Sonic, but as it is aliens will always be treated differently than a subspecies.

It is, but that's like saying American society highly values freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness so most people will uphold that and be modal citizens.

The point still stands. It's one creature that could be made out to be evil and isn't even a citizen. I also implied that this would be done under the radar. Of course the princesses wouldn't approve of killing if they can help it, but other ponies and even immigrants wouldn't care as much.

I don't know if you watch the show much as only the princess or those elites commanded by them ever get in to stop a huge villain, or a villain at all, not counting the S5 opener.

They're shown to have a criminal underworld at least to some degree, so there is a better possibility that they'd have vicious scientists and dick hunters than not.

I think at this point we won't get anywhere with this discussion and are just repeating the same thing. It was nice to view the other side of this, but we're just going in a loop now.
>>
>>25330031
Bucking is equally retarded.
>>
>>25331924
From the perspective of the ponies in Ponyville, there wouldn't be much difference between the appearance of someone like Zecora, or a human, since most of them other than a few like Twilight would have never seen either before. Both are completely new, and if anything Zecora came from the place they already know to be frightening.

And if nothing else, the main characters would obviously help a human integrate.

Anyway, whatever. We'll cease the discussion, I don't particularly feel in the mood for this sort of conversation anyway. I do want to say that the reason we don't see the royal guard solving every problem in the show is not that they are incapable, but because if they did, there would have been nothing for the main characters to do, so the writers kind of avoid relying on them. Gotta have that spotlight on the heroes in this kind of show, I guess.
>>
>>25332008
But yeah, I'll stress the fact that the royal guard/police must be doing lots of stuff, just offscreen or something. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.
>>
>>25330536
He could just be a normal person. All bronies are white anyway.
>>
>>25332076
>All bronies are white anyway
I wish that were true.
>>
>>25332076
This board is surprisingly more culturally diverse than you give it credit for.
>>
>>25330385
It's the best though. It at least means less of a self insert even if he 90% is already one.
>>
>>25331205
The only time I approve of 'bucking' as an insult is when someone uses it as "You TREE BUCKER", which would imply something innocent yet probably an insult.
>>
File: 1428542764734.png (466 KB, 1020x948) Image search: [Google]
1428542764734.png
466 KB, 1020x948
So how do you guys feel about minor swears like say 'Arse', 'Crap' and 'Bloody' (britbong style, at least).
>>
>>25332196
>bloody
>are
>crap
Why would ponies use Syrian lingo?
>>
>>25332174
that actually feels similar to redneck or dirty mud pone.
>>25332152
i'm fairly sure blacks were gay first
>>
>>25332212
Sparta had a rampant homosexual culture
>>
>>25332225
homosexuality did not originate in sparta though, that's been around long before
>>
>>25330031
I try to avoid ponies saying any bad words unless the usage of a bad word is played for kicks.

Things like "Buck" make me cringe so I never use them, though I often like to use 'lighthearted ponyswears' since those are always funny, especially when a really angry pony ends up calling someone "stupidhead".

But I'm with you on feeling uneasy, OP. Feels weird to see a pony say "Fuck you". It reminds me of Donte too much.
>>
>>25330031
>family guy
This site is for 18 and older only.
>>
>>25332212
>>25332225
>>25332230
All depends on if you believe that life started in Africa or not. The most rampent faggots were whites, or rather Euros, but it probably started in Africa and was taken to the extreme in Europe.
>>
>>25332284
>All depends on if you believe that life started in Africa
The homo (kek) genus started in africa where homosex wasn't a big deal cause there was no society to apply any kind of stigma to it. Society that formed in europe are the ones that developed homosexual "culture" though
Anyways, try >>>/his/ or something
>>
>>25330031
That is some major autism you have anon.
>>
>>25332336
That's bullshit speculation.
>>
>>25332336
Iirc it was proven that homosexuality always goes rampant in rich, peaceful society eg. today's world (fairly peaceful compared to ancient times.)
>>
>>25330406
>fire - arms
crossbow is not a firearm: it does not use an explosive force to propel the bolt
cannon is not a firearm: it is not conveniently portable (you can't just pick it up and carry it wherever).
>>
>>25331087
>>25331204
>>25331392
>>25331470
I took a nap right after this throwaway post, didn't expect it to make way for discussion. Whatever.

Yeah I'll admit that they'd be a little more open to outsiders since a bipedal creature that can speak isn't too out of the ordinary in a place like Equestria where magic and shit can explain just about everything, but I'm still confident that if say, OP went in they won't just make him Honorary Citizen for being a brand new creature.
>>
>>25330385
>Anon is made out to be distinct character rather than a placeholder for the reader, with Anon being his actual name
>>
>anon is the only Mc allowed because "muh self insert"
>99.9% of anons are inserts
>>
>>25330406
>crossbow
>fire arm
>that cannon
>anything like an actual cannon
That fucking thing isn't proof for shit, it's an over-glorified firework
>>
>>25332616
Exactly why I hate him. He always has a bland personality just so people can self insert. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather have a guy named Jim or some goofy Jap character because of how dull the anons have been.
>>25332631
>Not knowing what the first guns used
>>
>>25332616
You'll probably be relieved about a greentext I'm sort out then. Watch /mlp/ tomorrow.

>>25332638
>Jim
MisterMetokur in Equestria when?
>>
>>25332861
I don't know man. I'm still hoping for Mark the guy from accounting in Equestria.
>>
>>25330130
They're still very much part of a world created for children.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.