[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So was Starlight Glimmer just going to stay in the past forever,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: mr plinkett.png (1 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
mr plinkett.png
1 MB, 1024x1024
So was Starlight Glimmer just going to stay in the past forever, rather than thinking about returning to the present like Twilight was doing?

Did it not cross her mind to at least take a peak at the future, just to see what life was like after fucking everything up?

Why did Starlight not believe Twilight when Twilight said that they landed in the present? Did Starlight not know the effects of the spell that she at least partially completed?

Why did Twilight need the scroll after performing the spell so much? What prevented her from having any sort of residual memory after doing the same thing over and over again?

If Applejack stayed with Aunt and Uncle Orange without the Rainboom, why would she return to Sweet Apple Acres, and when would she develop her country accent? Was she so essential to the fruit-canning operation that there were no other possible options for running it?

For that matter, why was Rarity a seamstress, and Fluttershy an animal tender, and Rainbow Dash a mighty lesbian, all without the Rainboom?

If we're led to believe that everyone could have found their talent without the Rainboom, then why was every future so necessarily awful? There couldn't have been a more decent or at least neutral future where everyone discovered their talents in different ways? Wouldn't that have been a more interesting conflict?

I understand being forgiven by being friends with everyone, but why not have Starlight reunite with Sunburst? Is he still impossible to track even though he was sent to Celestia's magic school?

I understand that she was upset because she didn't get her mark at the same time, but why didn't Starlight just join in Sunburst's Cutie Mark celebration? Is Starlight just incapable of being proud of anyone besides herself?

Why didn't Starlight get Sunburst's new address after he moved to Canterlot, so they could write letters to each other? Or at least develop some sort of plan to keep in communication?

Eh, whatever. It's a show for babies.
>>
File: Take a letter tree.png (56 KB, 562x524) Image search: [Google]
Take a letter tree.png
56 KB, 562x524
>>25675931
Only until she knew she broke Twilight, or when she broke the spell.

Nope, she couldn't see that it would possibly be so bad. She underestimated how important Twilight's friendships were.

the spell was attached to the scroll. It is necessary to complete the spell

To help with the war effort, also her Manehattan accent was fake, it makes sense she'd revert to her real one when she has no one to impress

Rarity was a seamstress before the rainboom we never see Fluttershy tend to animals in any of the bad ends

They never discovered the elements, so they wouldn't have become the badass fighting team.

The point is to get new friends to get over Sunburst, meeting him would be pointless

She probably did, but they fell out of contact when he moved to Canterlot

He made other friends and started neglecting his old ones, he moved on, she didn't. This happens all the time when kids go off to college, they plan to keep in touch and be besties forever, but it doesn't always work out that way.
>>
File: 1449345098876.jpg (34 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1449345098876.jpg
34 KB, 292x257
>>25675931
10/10
I read that in his voice.
>>
Is this the slowpoke finale thread? Good. Saw it just yesterday. Did /mlp/ like it?

The ending reminded me of the saying "keep your friends close but your enemies closer".

To add to OP's fridge logic:

How come Twilight didn't lose her wings? I mean, if she never becomes Celestia's student and all the other things, she never becomes an alicorn. So she should've lost her wings as soon as Starlight cast the time travel spell.
>>
>>25677114

Same reason Spike didn't cease to exist because Twilight never hatched him.

Twilight, Starlight, Spike, the scroll and the table became constants as they were all affected by the spell, only the universe around them changed shape. That's why the table exists in places and scenarios it shouldn't be able to exist in as well.
>>
>>25677114
>Did /mlp/ like it?
Did you?
>>
>>25675931>
>So was Starlight Glimmer just going to stay in the past forever, rather than thinking about returning to the present like Twilight was doing?

She never had time to go to the future. To her, the same moment that Twilight left is the exact same moment that Starlight gets pulled back to the past again (remember the spell was tuned to send Starlight a little further back). For Starlight, there is no intervening time - whether Twilight spent 5 seconds or 5 days in the future wouldn't have changed Starlight's perspective. Starlight could only have gone to the future if Twilight never returned.

>Why did Starlight not believe Twilight when Twilight said that they landed in the present? Did Starlight not know the effects of the spell that she at least partially completed?
She knew the effects but not the consequences. She knew she was changing things, but not how integral the Mane 6 were to Equestria.

>If Applejack stayed with Aunt and Uncle Orange without the Rainboom, why would she return to Sweet Apple Acres, and when would she develop her country accent? Was she so essential to the fruit-canning operation that there were no other possible options for running it?
Kids get their accents at a very early age, she would have had it already. Applejack never had the knack for being a high-life city pony, so she would have returned to the farm at some point anyway, the difference being that originally she realized how much it meant to her so she actively returned, vs. returning out of disappointment / failure in the city.

>For that matter, why was Rarity a seamstress
Changing the past didn't change their essential nature, it just removed the event that connected them. Rarity was already into fashion design at that point, remember she was making outfits for the school play. Her specialty became using the gems to augment it. Without them, seems pretty fitting she ends up making drab war outfits.
>>
>>25675931
>If we're led to believe that everyone could have found their talent without the Rainboom, then why was every future so necessarily awful? There couldn't have been a more decent or at least neutral future where everyone discovered their talents in different ways? Wouldn't that have been a more interesting conflict?
It wasn't just about their talents, it was about them being connected.

>>25675931
>I understand being forgiven by being friends with everyone, but why not have Starlight reunite with Sunburst? Is he still impossible to track even though he was sent to Celestia's magic school?
What would have been the point of that? That friendship was a long time ago, and he didn't do anything wrong, and Starlight didn't do anything to him directly. Interacting with the Mane 6 and asking forgiveness from Our Town were the pertinent actions.

>>25675931
>I understand that she was upset because she didn't get her mark at the same time, but why didn't Starlight just join in Sunburst's Cutie Mark celebration? Is Starlight just incapable of being proud of anyone besides herself?
Have you never experienced jealousy of any sort?

>>25675931
>Why didn't Starlight get Sunburst's new address after he moved to Canterlot, so they could write letters to each other? Or at least develop some sort of plan to keep in communication?
Because she was hurt by him leaving. Seriously, are you autistic? Do you not understand emotions?
>>
>>25677507
Well, I enjoyed it. Swiss cheese of plot holes though, no denying that.

But nobody expected better, right? Only turbonerd writers who are also physicists are willing and able put in the effort necessary to write a correct time travel plot. And then only other turbonerds can understand it.
>>
>>25677586

No holes in the actual plot, surprisingly. There may be holes in the physics of time travel though, but on the other hand Equestria doesn't operate under the same rules as our universe.
>>
File: Plinkett.jpg (14 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Plinkett.jpg
14 KB, 256x192
>>25677739
But that's just an excuse for sloppy shitty writing. These episodes have to be written in a way that they can connect to the audience. It's the same goddamn excuse as "Oh... it was the will of the force... oh". It's nothing but one BS excuse.

Anybody wanna pizza roll?
>>
>>25675931
I agree Mr. Plinkett. Starlight's redemption was super forced and rushed. I hope she doesn't become one of the mane cast.

Btw, can I have a pizza roll?
>>
>>25677774

It should follow, then, that if you can't connect with the episode, you are not part of the intended audience.
>>
>>25677818
>write a bad episode
>"What the fuck was with that bad episode?"
>"I-it wasn't written for the likes of you, b-baka!"
>>
>>25677846
>bad episode

Nigga what?
>>
>>25677851
It's an example of how stupid that "not part of the intended audience" argument is.

If something is written stupidly, pointing out that it was written stupidly does not mean I am not part of the"intended audience" and is not an excuse for ignoring criticism.

If someone doesn't like an episode because they have criticisms about it, you don't just get to say "It wasn't written with you in mind". We watch the show because we generally enjoy the show. When an episode does something stupid, we point it out. It does not make us something other than fans of the show in general.

I don't watch sappy romance or Dystopian Future Teen Revolution movies because they are genres I don't generally enjoy. In those cases, if I were to point out why I think some things are stupid about Divergent or The Hunger Games anymore, people should feel welcome to dismiss it. But Pony is something I like, enjoy, and have watched for years. The criticism is relevant.

That said, I liked the finale, and I'm not the Plinkett poster.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 600x400
>>25677887
THIS
>>
>>25677887
>I'm not the Plinkett poster.

Then why do you speak on his behalf, claiming to know what he's a fan of and isn't?

And no, his criticism isn't fucking relevant.
>>
>>25677916
I wasn't speaking on his behalf, I was arguing against the poor argument presented by someone trying to argue against him.

Telling someone they are wrong doesn't mean you agree with the person on the other end.
>>
File: 1449353380522.png (123 KB, 247x242) Image search: [Google]
1449353380522.png
123 KB, 247x242
>>25677916
Why does it matter if someone is or isn't the fan of something?
Anyone can criticize anything they watch for being shit. You can ignore it all you want to but don't try to use the "it wasn't made for you so don't be a critic about the show with my waifu" bullshit to try to dismiss it.

How is it not relevant?
Cause you don't like it?
Just because something makes you feel bad about something you like suddenly that makes his criticisms no longer relevant?

All that said I liked the episode but I think his posts had some fair points about the failings of an episode I liked.
>>
>>25677979

Really? So what plotholes were there that you noticed?
>>
>>25678000
Where were all the Twilight's and Spikes from all the times they went back in time and attempted to stop Starlight Glimmer.
They kept going back to the same area again and again and again.
Even the "different laws of physics in this universe" excuse doesn't cover it cause of the previous episode were Twilight talked to herself.
>>
>>25678038
What does it matter where they were? They didn't meet them.
>>
>>25678051
>They kept going back to the same area again and again and again.
Then where were they?
>>
>>25678038

There's only one real (future) Twilight from the real present, but multiple false pasts and multiple false presents. Zecora talks about it during her segment.

The past Twilight is in Canterlot failing to hatch Spike's egg, that is the Twilight could future-Twi could have interacted with (but she never did).
>>
>>25678057
Somewhere else? It's not relevant. The ones in the alternate realities would have had no reason to be in that spot, so they weren't.
>>
>>25678060
I'm not talking about past twilight that didn't hatch the egg.
I am talking about the princess Twilight's that went back in time.
>>
>>25678084
What the fuck are you blathering about? She IS the Princess Twilight that went back in time. How could she meet herself when it changed to an alternate reality?
>>
>>25678070
Then Starlight Glimmer wouldn't be there either with this explanation.
Face it.
This is a hole.
>>
>>25678095
Uh, and she wasn't, you fucking moron.

Jesus, done with this thread. You're retarded.
>>
>>25678084

Only one real Twilight, she doesn't meet herself because the past she travels to and the future she returns to aren't the same, ever, except once the spell finally collapses in the end.
>>
>>25678106
>Don't understand or agree this guy's point
>You're stupid, not me
>Fuck you

Bronyfags who defend everything MLP related in a nutshell
>>
If Starlight goes to the past and changes it, the world goes to shit, so there's no mane 6, so Starlight doesn't lose her village, so she doesn't go back in time and change it, but then there's mane 6, and they ruin her village, so she goes back in time and changes it, and the world goes to shit, so there's no mane 6, so Starlight doesn't lose her village, so she doesn't go back in time and change it, but then there's mane 6, and they ruin her village, so she goes back in time and changes it, and the world goes to shit, so there's no mane 6, so Starlight doesn't lose her village, so she doesn't go back in time and change it, but then there's mane 6, and they ruin her village, so she goes back in time and changes it, and the world goes to shit, so there's no mane 6...
>>
>yet another cameo-filled meme-isode
>using worst plot device
>that reduced the season's themes to a vague, 30 second speech
The disappointment was pretty fucking real. I'm not sure why they bother having a story if they're just going to end the season with a stupid anticlimax. It's like Equestria Games, but 10 times worse.
>>
>>25678190
Are you completely retarded? Please consider ending yourself.

The spell protects them from any changes. So they could literally go back in time and kill their younger selves without affecting them.
and everyone they go back the timeline gets reset anyway, so whatever timeline the future was doesn't exist anymore.
>>
File: jayprometheus.png (1002 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jayprometheus.png
1002 KB, 1280x720
>>25675931
>>
>>25678196

They probably do it because people watch it and enjoy it.
>>
>>25675931
>So was Starlight Glimmer just going to stay in the past forever, rather than thinking about returning to the present like Twilight was doing?
Well not "forever" just until the past became the present

>Did it not cross her mind to at least take a peak at the future, just to see what life was like after fucking everything up?
She was too busy fucking with the past.

>Why did Starlight not believe Twilight when Twilight said that they landed in the present? Did Starlight not know the effects of the spell that she at least partially completed?
Denial

>Why did Twilight need the scroll after performing the spell so much? What prevented her from having any sort of residual memory after doing the same thing over and over again?
It's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit. Let's just say the scroll was an essential part of the spell

>If Applejack stayed with Aunt and Uncle Orange without the Rainboom, why would she return to Sweet Apple Acres, and when would she develop her country accent? Was she so essential to the fruit-canning operation that there were no other possible options for running it?
>For that matter, why was Rarity a seamstress, and Fluttershy an animal tender, and Rainbow Dash a mighty lesbian, all without the Rainboom?
Because that shit's their destiny and they would have found their cutie marks with or without that one event The point is that they were never united as friends.

>If we're led to believe that everyone could have found their talent without the Rainboom, then why was every future so necessarily awful? There couldn't have been a more decent or at least neutral future where everyone discovered their talents in different ways? Wouldn't that have been a more interesting conflict?
Because Twilight never became Celestia's student and was never sent to Ponyville so the Mane 6 were never a thing, which means they didn't beat all the bad guys they beat.
>>
File: what's prometheus.jpg (50 KB, 355x236) Image search: [Google]
what's prometheus.jpg
50 KB, 355x236
>>25678262
>What was that green paint that Zecora put on Twilight's face? How would a pony get it? Did Zecora make it? With what?
>Why did Twilight glow when Zecora put the magic makeup on? Does the green paint glow when it's put on every non-changeling, or just alicorns?
>Why were Flim and Flam depicted as villainous industrialists, when none of the episodes that featured them depicted them as villainous industrialists?
>Why would simply changing the way in which Starlight stopped the Rainboom create so many different outcomes? Would different villains come out on top just because of the way in which Rainbow Dash was stopped?
>Was Discord chasing around the princesses the present, or simply the first time they fought? If the former, has Discord just been chasing around the princesses in clown costumes for 1,000 years?
>>
>>25675931
>I understand being forgiven by being friends with everyone, but why not have Starlight reunite with Sunburst? Is he still impossible to track even though he was sent to Celestia's magic school?
I was actually afraid this would happen, it would have been stupid. "Hey, I know you haven't seen me in like 20 years, I sort of became a crazy cult leader for a while, want to be friends again?" It would just be awkward and an attempt to recapture the past, better to move on and start again.

>I understand that she was upset because she didn't get her mark at the same time, but why didn't Starlight just join in Sunburst's Cutie Mark celebration? Is Starlight just incapable of being proud of anyone besides herself?
Seems like it.

>Why didn't Starlight get Sunburst's new address after he moved to Canterlot, so they could write letters to each other? Or at least develop some sort of plan to keep in communication?
Does it say she didn't try? Maybe he never wrote her back, that would certainly explain some of her bitterness.
>>
>>25678362
>Why would simply changing the way in which Starlight stopped the Rainboom create so many different outcomes? Would different villains come out on top just because of the way in which Rainbow Dash was stopped?
Butterfly effect nigga.
>>
>>25678362
>Did Zecora make it? With what?
Obviously. Alchemy.
>Why did Twilight glow when Zecora put the magic makeup on?
"Beneath this salve, no changeling hides, for it reveals the truth inside." In this case, it revealed a deeper truth than anticipated, that Twilight was from the true world and Zecora herself wasn't. "It is we, who should not be"
>Does the green paint glow when it's put on every non-changeling, or just alicorns?
It also glows on Spike, but it could be it glows because Spike is also from the real world. On other ponies "who should not be" it might have a different or a lesser effect, who knows?
>Why were Flim and Flam depicted as villainous industrialists
Because the spell is breaking apart, you can see the false worlds making less and less sense as things go on, and the table with the map becoming more and more faded and fragmented. If you're looking for a personal motive for them for some reason, greed is a good one. The larger their business grew the more detached the became. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happens.
>Why would simply changing the way in which Starlight stopped the Rainboom create so many different outcomes?
"Time is a river, where even the tiniest changes seen can lead to a cascade of effects downstream.", Starlight's meddling affects a lot more than just the Rainboom, new friendships with the bullies, whether Fluttershy lives in Cloudsdale or Ponyville, reparation costs and work after their battle...
>Would different villains come out on top just because of the way in which Rainbow Dash was stopped?
Apparently. Although to a great extent because of how the spell is breaking down, in the final loop there is no villain, just a barren wasteland.
>Was Discord chasing around the princesses the present, or simply the first time they fought? If the former, has Discord just been chasing around the princesses in clown costumes for 1,000 years?
The former, and no. This is after Discord's return.
>>
>>25678400
My favorite part was the last time line, where Starlight didn't give a fuck anymore and just laser shot Rainbow out of the sky Probably killing her
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.