[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Runaway Hayride (CYOA) #2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mlp/ - My Little Pony

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: Hay Wain.png (337 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Hay Wain.png
337 KB, 800x800
Sorry for the hourish lateness.

Previous thread - >>25357983

Possibly unneeded Synopsis:

>You are Hay Wain Pic related
>You came to Gemsfield to meet up with a long-lost 'friend' - Buck Maverick
>He had an amazing deal for you both: a supposedly haunted mine.
>So you went about preparing for that and hoofed over to the spot.
>Turns out, though, that all the spookiness was just some kind of act from a group of criminals secretly mining it.
>You were caught temporarily, but from some inter-gang arguing, you managed to escape with one of them (that doesn't seem so bad).
>You're now making it back to town with him and Buck~

This was really meant to be the final chapter of things, so we're gonna get a little expository here. Then back to some choosing~

>You and the Unicorns made it back to town a lot faster than you and Buck made it to the Mine.
>You got Rose to the doctor as soon as you got back to town, Doc Baker getting the bullet out and putting him to bed for rest.
>You also had him work on Buck from a few 'minor' injuries that happened after you got back to town and had some moments alone with him.
>Fool Unicorn getting you wrapped up in all of this.

>You then went to the sheriff, Sheriff Five Points taking down your story before gathering up a small posse from what miners there were go and get Muggy Day.
>You didn't really mention Rose's involvement in things except for finishing off Gallager since he was lied to just like you and Buck were.

[1/2]
>>
>Turns out, the posse wasn't really needed, though.
>The stranger you ran into escaping the mine (and saw in the saloon before that) ended up bringing Muggy Day back to town himself.
>His name is Soap Stone, the original owner's son from a rock farm far away from Gemsfield.
>You're kind of surprised he didn't 'send her to Tartarus' like he said he was going to, but she probably wishes it with the condition she's in.
>Being shot up, pelted with rocks, and dragged through the flat, arid lands around here doesn't leave a pony looking too good, especially a petite one like her.
>Still too good for what she's done, but she's in medical custody now, so there's nothing you can do.

>You decided to stick around for a day or so while things get sorted out; you still have your bits to bring back home, at least, and the farm's not expecting you back for a few more days.
>Out on the main street, you see Soap Stone going into the saloon with that same dejected look on his face that he had when he got back to town.
>You've been meaning to talk to him, but he didn't seem in the mood when he showed up with the battered Pegasus.
>He still doesn't, but you might still give it a try.
>You could also go check in on Rose and Buck at the doctor's.

>Which way to go?
>>
>>25449531
I don't want to look at either Rose or Buck. Let's go see this Mr. Stone.
>>
>>25449531
>>25449989
Also sorry for letting the thread die.
>>
>>25449531
Check out soap stone.
>>
>>25449531
Lets go see the one stallion we've met here that ain't a waste of air.
>>
>You think about it for a few moments... but then you're pretty sure you don't want to see Buck and Rose at the moment for some very good reasons.
>You head for the saloon, opening the door with a quick look around this time of day (maybe most times that you know of).
>It looks pretty much like it always has: mostly deserted.
>The minotaur cow and bull are playing cards with the Pegasus waiter from the restaurant.
>There's no piano player just now considering what happened to Gallager; you're not sure where the girl griffon went.
>Soap Stone is at the bar with the bartender waiting on him, putting up a bottle of Griffonwater Gin and a glass.

>You trot up and sit next to him, ordering a small whiskey and drinking it in a quick shot once the barpony puts it down, putting down a few bits.
>Soap glances your way, then back to his drink with a grunt, doing the same 'shot' with a much bigger glass of gin.
>He shudders, then takes a deep breath before sighing.

"Sorry 'bout yer pa," you start up with a twitch of your ears and small tip up of your hat.
>"Was my own fault fer lettin' him come out here," Soap responds quickly before starting to pour himself another glass.
>There's some moments of silence, bartender seeing if you want anything else, before Soap speaks again.
>"Glad ya made it out all right. 'Nd that she's not gonna hurt anyone no more," he goes on before actually sipping his drink this time.

>What things to say/ask/do?
>>
>>25450069

Also, no worries. Thank you very much for all the previous bumps! You and all the other kind anons which did so.
>>
>>25450339
What exactly happened down there? How'd you both make it out. I have to commend you Stone because I would have left 'er for dead.
>>
>>25450339
Your a better pony then I am, letting her live after what she's done.
>>
File: Strangebeast.jpg (74 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Strangebeast.jpg
74 KB, 800x600
"What even happened down there? Me'n my friend felt the explosion shakin' even from up top," you ask with another glance toward him, peeking down some towards his good left eye.
>"You're not gonna believe it even if I tell ya," Soap responds with a gulp down of the rest of his current glass of gin.
"Go on. After all this, not much to refuse believin' in," you poke onward.
>"Fine," Soap agrees, turning to face you some with a tap of his hoof on the counter.
>"I went down there with muh gun ready fer action. That Pegasus witch had already started sparkin' the string trail to whatever was in that box. She saw me comin' but I got a few shots off before she did the same. Lucky fer me ah had some cover."
>He takes a swig from the bottle this time, then shudders and snorts out.
>"I'd ran outta bullets before puttin' her all the way down from her Tartarus-born lucky flyin', but she was pretty well on the way. She came at me fer an attempt ta fly by before I reloaded, but I jumped 'n knocked her outta the air. That's when the big ol' boom happened."
>He nods and tips his hat back.

>"This's the part you're not gonna believe. So, somehow the mine ceiling withstood the explosion... but not the side of it. Once the smoke cleared, there was somethin' ah never seen before. It was like-a payload of gems, mountains of 'em in a big room down-a-ways from the tunnel floor. It was like mah pa had sent a blessin' my way or something... until the beasts pic related started showing up."
>You raise your brow at 'beasts,' but nod to continue.

[1/2]
>>
Wow, didn't expect to write that much, sorry for the wait.

>"Ah told ya. They were big ol' monsters with dog lookin' faces, massive fists, and club-like tails. They also walked on their hindlegs like minotaurs do... and could climb pretty well too."
>"Two of 'em started hustlin' up towards me and ah knew ah wasn't up ta be handlin' both of 'em with their spears 'n all. So I grabbed that girl and ran up the mine with more barks 'n howls following me. They seemed to stop a short ways away from the mine's entrance, though, as ah never saw 'em again runnin' away."
"But why'd you save Muggy?" you ask with a blink.
>"Ah was lookin' ta finish the job myself... but then ah got ta thinkin' how my pa was. He'd never want me ta go about revenge, even fer his sake," Soap says with a sigh and another swig.
>"Ah do hope she doesn't make... but if she does, the law'll make her pay fer what she's done."

>How to respond?
>>
>>25450770

Forgot to spoiler the pic, good job me. Ah well~
>>
>>25450779

Addendum as forgot it at the tail end there.

"Well, you're a better pony than I am, lettin' her live. I dunno if I coulda done that. Ya made yer pa proud too, I bet," you respond to the story.

I messed this post all kinds of up, sorry again.
>>
>>25450779
Seems like the mine isn't usable anymore. What's he planning on doing now?
>>
>>25450779
I'm sure you can make something of this. I'll be gettin' back to my farm soon enough. I wish the best for ya.
>>
"But wow," you go on with a small shake of your head and tail twitch.
"That is a wild story. Sounds like the mine's not gonna be usable anymore, whatever treasures its got. What're ya gonna do now?"
>"Yeah, we'd need a posse bigger'n all of Rockhound put together ta try'n do anything there," Soap agrees... before looking a slight different, bashful even.
>"Well, ah dun mean ta pry in yer business, but was talkin' with yer Unicorn friends last night fer a short spell."
>You almost make an audible response to that, but a lash of your tail is all that happens.
>"Mister Rose Shine there said that a lot of the funds the Pegasus and her gang gathered up could be put inna account fer me, so that's something good comin' from this. Probably go back to the rock farm 'n figure out somethin' with my brothers 'n sisters."
>He takes a pause, then looks right at you instead of partly turned your way.
>"Mister Maverick said that y'all were lookin' ta get somethin' here and... well, fer yer trouble, would like ta offer ya some of it. Mister Maverick thought it was a good idea, of course, but ah wanna make sure with both of y'all."
>You look surprised at the offer, not really sure how to respond.
"Ah, I didn't really expect anything, was just plannin' on goin' back to the farm in a day or so 'n puttin' this all behind me," you point out with another swing of your tail.
>Before you can go on, though, there's a screech from outside, then a voice familiar to you in a sense - it sounds like a girl griffon.
>"Rose Shine! Buck Maverick! Hay Wain! Get out here! Time to pay up fer what you've done!" the voice demands.
>A peek through the window reveals it to be the female griffon from the night time piano playing you saw, standing on hind legs with a mean look and two guns pulled out.

>What do?
>>
>>25451111
Woah, them quads.

Anywho, let's scurry up to the second story and shoot her from a window.
>>
>>25451111
She has no idea about who Soap is so he could get behind her and sneak attack her.
>>
>>25451111
Ask Soup for help. Tell her we were defending ourselves.
>>
>>25451187

Ha, good checking. I wouldn't have noticed probably.

>You think about what to do for a second, Soap snorting as he takes a look too.
>You know the sheriff is off to Dodge Junction about Muggy Day, but who know where the deputy is he left behind.
>There are two 'bangs' outside, the griffon firing into the air with another screech.
>Talking probably isn't going to work on her.
>You ponder just going upstairs and shooting her from there, but the moment the griffon hears a shot with no one out there, she's probably going to take flight and you'll miss.
>You're definitely not in the mood for another shootout.
>"Who's that?" Soap ask as he keeps staring.
>An idea pops in your head, looking to the scruffy stallion.
"That's one of Muggy Day's gang," you say, Soap grunting with a wide eye at you.
>Before he can talk, you raise a forehoof.
"I know what you're thinking... and you can help me. I'm gonna go out there and get her attention; you sneak around and can get your revenge."
>Soap looks you over for a moment, then nods with a grunt.
"I'll get her gabbin' while you get a good spot," you add in before moving away.
>You walk to the door and look over, the doctor looking out from his office's window.
>With Buck and Rose bed-ridden, you doubt you'll get any help from them.

[1/2]
>>
>Soap looks like he has the same idea as you, starting up the stairs to the second floor of the saloon as you start out to the street - best get to distracting before she moves too much.
"I'm here, what do ya want?" you call out, stepping partly out of the saloon, but not out onto the street yet.
>"Y'know exactly what I want! Ya killed my brother! Now get out here 'n draw!" the female griffon demands.
"It was just in self-defense!" you call out, twitching as another gunshot rings out.
>"I don't care, now out!" she goes on.

>You don't make it a few trots out into the street... before 'bang!' another gunshot sounds.
>This one doesn't come from the griffoness, though; in fact, it makes her fall to the ground.
>You look up at one of the saloon windows, Soap nodding down towards you.
>The griffon seems still enough that it seems like Soap got her in the first shot.

>What next?
>>
>>25451537
Wait for a moment before going to check her. Tell Soap to keep his gun on her.
>>
>>25451537
Don't take any chances, she wanted us dead.
>>
>You give a nod back up to Soap, then point your snout with another back to the griffon for him to keep his eyes on her.
>You then go back to watching for a single twitch or motion.
>The wind blows fur and feathers as she just lies there.
>Other than that, there's no sound... until one of those talons shoot up!
>"Dirty pon-urk!" she screeches out before making a pained grunt.
>You weren't taking any chances as you observed (even with Soap watching your back), hoof ready for some kind of trick.
>You're not sure whether yours or Soap does the job, but the griffoness faints again, guns dropped on the ground.
>You jump up in something of a quick trot over and kick her side; yeah, definitely dead this time.

>You're getting tired of this town by every moment.
>Thank goodness the noon stage will be here shortly.
>What should you do with the little time you have left?
>You should probably go talk with Buck (and Rose) before you leave, but what would you even say after this fiasco?

>What to do?
>>
>>25451810
Lets head to the hotel and find a way to not think of everything.
>>
>>25451810
We can tell Buck we're not interested in any more business ventures and Rose that he should go back to the city and stay there because, ignorant or not, he aided thieving murderers.
>>
>>25452118
This.
>>
>>25452118
Tell Buck we're keepin' the shovel while we're at it. Been meanin' to get another.
>>
>You look at the griffoness that just intended to kill you, then snort with a lash of your tail.
>That's it.
>You almost stomp over to the doctor's office, shove the door open with an audible gasp from the two fools you managed to meet in the past two days and the doctor Unicorn napping in his seat.
>You don't let any of them react to this, though, stomping over to Rose with his shoulder bandaged up, staring with a shocked expression.
"You should go back to the city and stay there," you start out, pushing a forehoof right against his nose.
"We use city-pony as an insult around here just for stallions like you. You believe anything anypony tells ya and think that's the whole of it without checkin'. And that's how ya end up helping killin', thievin' criminals. This isn't Canterlot out here, ya know. Friendship 'n hugs aren't the way things are solved. So go back there 'n keep out of trouble."

>Rose looks kind of hurt from the sudden humbling spiel, but you don't let him say a word, trotting over to Buck, looking kind of fearful himself with his middle wrapped in bandages.
"And you! No more business ventures! I'm through with all this kinda mess. Just go back to yer gamblin' or, even better, get a real honest job like farmin'. Even if it's too much for yer dainty hooves."
>"B-But Miss Hay, I me...," Buck tries to stumble out, but you raise your forehoof to hush him.
"And if I see ya again anytime soon, don't be surprised by what I do. Also, I'm taken the shovel and other things I find useful; if'n you don't send me what ya owe me soon enough, gonna sic the law on ya too," you finish off with another snort and tail lash, stomping out without even looking at the beaten Pegasus in the last bed.
>>
>You go over to the hotel, up to your room, get your bag, then come back downstairs.
>Sunny seems to want to cheer you up with such a seething scowl on your face... but a firm bump as she tries to hug you sets her straight.
>You sign out of the hotel, thank the innkeeping Unicorn for the hospitality, then head out and over to the wagon.

>Gathering up the supplies you think will be useful clears your head some and takes up the rest of the time as the stage pulls up, having your suitcase and a clanking bag to load up before getting in.
>No one gets off the stage, there's no mail, and no one gets on the stage aside from you.
>You're kind of happy for that, though, settling down in a seat with a loosening of your saddlebag-gun belt and removing your hat.
>You'll keep your ears perked for Buffalos, but you think this time... you're just gonna nap all the way back to Dodge Junction.
>You're pretty sure you deserve that much.

~End~

---

And there we go. Hopefully this was a sort of okay ending. Figured it was getting near time with most of the loose ends tied up and much longer would be dragging it out. I tried to do my best on QMing despite being a newfag; learned a few things along the way. I'll be around for a bit if you have any questions about what could have been or character backstories/other things (as I think out things quite a lot beyond what is meant to be put into the story).

I actually had a few things typed up for if you went deeper into the mine instead of going to town to get away and all if want me to post those in a pastebin or just make a synopsis of them. I'm open to whatever you guys have, questions or (if anyone wants to offer up) critiques and stuff. Really curious on what parts seemed railroaded a lot as I tried my best not to do it. And anything else any of you want to add.
>>
>>25452462
Wow. What a get-shit-done mare.

It was short and sweet but I liked it for the most part. I really felt that western vibe. If you run another CYOA I'd love to see Miss Wain again. I'm in love with her character. Maybe a sort of Slice-of-Life thing?
>>
>>25452462
It was a bit short for my tastes, but I liked it.
You used snorting and tail flicking too much.
I'm curious about what would happen if we went deeper into the mines and I'm fine with a pastebin.
>>
>>25452554

Miss Hay is tough and fair, no doubts about it.

And thanks! And thanks for playing! Probably see her again in a future CYOA or story of some sort as I am a fan of frontier-living and that kind of thing. Plus kind anon drew that picture, which is wonderful too.
>>
File: Big.gif (1 MB, 406x318) Image search: [Google]
Big.gif
1 MB, 406x318
>>25452462
Nicely done. Solid writing of both setting and character. There were one or two issues, but you worked through those quickly enough.
Less snorting though. I love ponies acting like ponies, but I was beginning to worry Hay was allergic to everyone around her, or at least to fools.
>>
>>25452605
I agree here. I also think it fell apart a bit once we got into the mine. I had a hard time picturing alot of things. It seems clear that your strong suit is characters and their interactions.
>>
>>25452462
I'd love to see Hay Wain again some day.
>>
>>25452605
>>25452615

Aww, I was trying to be good on the snorting and keep it to the annoying bits she had to deal with after that first call out. Also, she may very well be allergic to fools, knowing her. Surprised on the tail flickering though; thought I was pretty good with that. Will have to read back over everything and keep it in mind. Though, reading over this discarded bit of writing, I do see the snort thing, yes.

>>25452678

Yeah, environments can be kind of tough for me, I will admit I've always liked character interactions and stuff. The former is something I hoped to work on while doing this!

And yes, this was intended to be short and sweet, even if it turned out to be a lot more work than I intended. Another good learning experience.

Sorry for the long wait, was looking over the pre-type I had done and adding little notes. This is if we made it down to the lower mine captured which that other anon was right; I shouldn't have made the choice that I did with the gunfight - should have just made it more a short cutscene than what I did. Learning, learning. Rose finds out about what they're doing, but gets captured along with the rest of you. Muggy goes down and searches you, finds Buck's magical exploding sticks and goes to retrieve the box, leaving you some time to talk/possibly forgive Rose.

She comes back, sets things up, then Soap shows up. It was either going to be one of Soap's bullets hitting a stick or Muggy setting a short fuse, but everyone would be far enough away/behind cover that the explosion just made the mine's side rupture into the start of the pastebin here - http://pastebin.com/NQ7rS1u2
>>
File: manedantlionSKREEEEE.png (370 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
manedantlionSKREEEEE.png
370 KB, 600x450
>>25452852 (You)

>>>25452615 (You) (You)

Dat misclick.

Meant >>25452642

Also, since forgot in the last post, picture of the Ant-lion. I like how they do monsters in the cartoon like timberwolves and things, so was thinking maned, mandibled monster with spindly legs and giant lion paws on the end of those.
>>
>>25452462
[sspoiler]Very well done, thank you for running. I am certainly looking forward to whatever you plan to do next.[/spoiler]
>>
>>25453175

I am glad you enjoyed it! Hope everyone else that played enjoyed also; thanks for sticking with me.
>>
Well, as the thread slides off the board and I'm about to sleep, just want to thank everyone for playing, for reading, for commenting, and for critiqueing, here and in /cyoag/. I now fade into anonymity until the next time for something like this, but if want to ask a question about things or characters, just use my name.
>>
>>25453666
bye satan
>>
>>25454002
>>
>>25454002
>>
>>25456531
Why? The cyoa is over.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.