[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do hipsters who pretend to be into literature talk so much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: bukowski2.jpg (47 KB, 620x421) Image search: [Google]
bukowski2.jpg
47 KB, 620x421
Why do hipsters who pretend to be into literature talk so much about Bukowski?
>>
because he's a "struggling alcoholic artist".
The only thing he gave the world was his retarded "cool" image and bad poetry.
>>
he's like the kevin smith of literature. the foremost bar lowerer of an entire artform.

they look at him and think, if that hack could become a success, then so could i.
>>
>>8064974
>Why do hipsters who pretend to be into literature talk so much about Bukowski?
My guess is that the thinking is something like this:

The logic of a teenager reading Buk:

I can appear erudite by reading ANY book

I can appear erudite and more mature than my peers by reading about about one of the most adult functions: sex

I can finish a book of poetry faster than I can finish a 400 page history book about sex

But I can appear just as mature and erudite if I post a poet's quote about sex on social media

Not implying that all of B's works are about sex, just that the majority of teenagers aren't picking up Factotum
>>
Highly accessible/easy to read
>>
>>8065056

and pretty damn entertaining too
>>
>>8064974
Bukowski's writing has a salt of the earth aspect to it that makes it endearing and entertaining. Post Office is dope.
>>
Sometimes I like to read something simple and entertaining. An author like Bukowski can satisfy that.
>>
>>8064974
Does anyone else think he looks like that tramp monster from Mulholland Drive?
>>
>>8065124
not even close, i'd know that thing when i see it.
>>
>>8065124
I can sorta see it
>>
>>8064974
If i wanted a degenerate writer i will get Burroughs.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 640x480
>>8064974
Hipsters? If they're in their 20s then it's because of modest mouse desu.
>>
>>8065135
But who would wanna be such an asshole?
>>
>>8064974
He's easy to read. This board bashes Bukowski because the users deliberately seek out books that needlessly obfuscate meaning. I never liked playing with puzzles, but autists do.

>>8064987
Hardly a hack. If you were not such a superficial reader you would learn that he read all of the stereotypical undergraduate novels and philosophers like the rest of us did such as Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, etc. His life was actually rather similar to Dostoevsky and his writing is about similar subjects. Those who reject Bukowski now would have been among the bourgeoisie and the lumpenproletariat who rejected Dos. They're part of the same tradition.
>>
>>8065639

>needlessly obfuscate meaning
>How dare people not give me things on a silver platter!

>Those who reject Bukowski now would have been among the bourgeoisie and the lumpenproletariat who rejected Dos.

This is someone who loves the smell of their own farts.
>>
Kitsch as fuck.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Charles_Bukowski

Take your pick.
>>
>>8065656

>"For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stonewritten. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
>>
File: Beat it.jpg (34 KB, 489x488) Image search: [Google]
Beat it.jpg
34 KB, 489x488
>>8065663

>I think that everything should be made available to everybody, and I mean LSD, cocaine, codeine, grass, opium, the works. Nothing on earth available to any man should be confiscated and made unlawful by other men in more seemingly powerful and advantageous positions. More often than not Democratic Law works to the advantage of the few even though the many have voted; this, of course, is because the few have told them how to vote. I grow tired of 18th century moralities in a 20th century space-atomic age. If I want to kill myself I feel that should be my business. If I go out and hold up gas stations at night to pay for my supply it is because the law inflates a very cheap thing into an escalated war against my nerves and my soul.

>It's the current century!
>>
>>8065646
Your implications are laughable and do not offer any sort of argument. I'll bite the bait nonetheless with a quote from Bukowski: "as the spirit wanes, the form appears," or in other words, when you have nothing to say, you bullshit. Which is exactly what your post was. It was a big, bubbly, stinky, worthless turd.

>>8065663
>>8065670
They're actually decent quotes especially if they are off the cuff. He sounds like Nietzsche.
>>
>>8065639
>lumpneproles
>reading novels
>>
>>8064974
Because he represents the bohemian style of life of the modern artist that they want to imitate by their hipsterism. Living life to the foolest, drinking, fucking and that sort of thing. Though he was just a drunk, and an all around screw up that wrote quite average stuff. And at the time he started playing the troubled artist that trope was already a little passe. And played by far better artists and writters, before him and while he was active.
>>
>>8065639
>5639
No. This doesn't make any sense.
>>
File: 1461321896399.jpg (80 KB, 600x607) Image search: [Google]
1461321896399.jpg
80 KB, 600x607
>>8064974
He's qoutable, fukbois love qoutes, especially Bukowski qoutes
>>
>>8065639
w e w
>>
>>8064987
>he didn't like the first clerks
>>
>>8065639
This. Buk spent his free sober time in libraries and, as this anon said, was fairly well read plus a critic who seemed to value heart and honesty in the works he read.

He was a nihilist in that life was meaningless, death was coming, make the most of it. His works were about triumph.

Besides, as much as i love Joyce, Borges and the higher tier of lit, as with films, sometimes i just want some dumb fun.
>>
>>8065639
>His life was actually rather similar to Dostoevsky and his writing is about similar subjects.

I'd date to object that you believe Bukowski and Dusty lived similar lives and wrote about similar subjects.

Dusty wrote about the intricacies of human thought and tied it to religion. Bukowski wrote about how nonsensical and grotesque society seemed to be in his eyes.
>>
>>8064974
just like mac demarco
he inspires lazy bums to keep being lazy bums
le life to the fullest!
>>
>>8066391
>Proletariat
>Bohemian
pick one faggot. A bohemian is a perpetual poser, while Bukowski was anything but that. As far as the "troubled artist" bit goes, I don't think any "troubled artist" ever viewed themselves that way but was labeled as such by weaker people.

>>8067342
>>8067497
Not arguments.

>>8067686
>>8067718
I have a feeling you are the same person. Essentially Bukowski's ethic takes Hemingway's "grace under pressure" and mixes it with Cynicism. "What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." Those elements you mention about Bukowski and Dostoevsky are themes that can be found in both of their works. Crime and Punishment is loaded with grotesque characters, or at least Raskolnikov and Svidrigailov are pretty bizarre, not to mention the police detective. I never bothered finishing Brothers. K, but those characters are rather grotesque too, deformed by their idees fixes. Religion is also present throughout Bukowski's works in the sense that he criticized certain "orders of existence" that other people follow. He didn't really bother with formal religions, but why would he? Christianity died on the cross!

If Bukowski saw this thread he would easily BTFO you NEET parasites posing as critics on Channard Chinky's with devastating satire. GG.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.