[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it pretentious to use "literary language" in my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 123.jpg (79 KB, 800x582) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
79 KB, 800x582
Is it pretentious to use "literary language" in my day-to-day speech? I sometimes find myself using rhymes, metaphors, alliteration and all kinds of literary devices even when I am just talking to regular folk.

Am I a faggot?

Pic unrelated
>>
File: 1458384201143.jpg (18 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1458384201143.jpg
18 KB, 512x384
>>8063795
it just means you aren't a normie
>>
Stupid people get embarrassed when they don't understand words, so they lash out verbally.

Show them that you perceive this and laugh pitilessly at the clumsy attempt to mask their shame.
>>
If you are not intentionally doing it in an attempt to appear more intellectual or intelligent, it is not, by definition, pretentious. Friends and students of mine occassionally call me pretentious because of my word choice or how I pronounce things, but I just believe in being deliberate and precise with my word choice and I think my sometimes seemingly odd pronunciations are a result of an accent that is influenced by my family being from one region, growing up in another, and spending a significant amount of time in a third before recently moving back to where I grew up.

I actually had to show my students that culinary can be pronounced "CUE-lin-ary", for example. At the same time, I'll use "y'all" in informal conversations because I spent a lot of time in the deep south.

Tl;dr: who gives a fuck what they think as long as you aren't actively trying to seem like you're superior. Do you.
>>
>>8063795
>Am I a faggot?
As long as you don't act like >>8064272 in real life, no.
>>
>>8063795
You can say whatever you want as long as you use the words correctly and say them like you say them all the time.
>>
File: Lord help us.jpg (33 KB, 488x563) Image search: [Google]
Lord help us.jpg
33 KB, 488x563
>We get shown an example of how not to do an email in work yesterday
>Bad spelling, misuse of words, etc
>Our trainer accidentally reveals the guy's name
>A guy in the training group starts laughing and says he'll call the guy dyslexic
>I say that's like the pot calling the kettle black
>No one in the group understood this simple idiom
>Mfw
>>
>>8065385
I've used the pot calling the kettle black before and I got called racist. How are people this dumb?
>>
>>8063795
I speak like a book sometimes. I'm not as skilfully tongued as to get away with any deep alliteration or behemoth words seamlessly, but I like to use metaphors and a lot of wordplay and puns into my speech. That's only when the mood strikes me though, normally I'll be swearing like a sailor. Despite a pretty ridiculous accent, people think I speak very well - but it's mainly a side effect of a nervous tick I have that ups my vocabulary the more anxious I get.
>>
>>8063795
read more celine
>>
>>8063795
I've been told I'm well spoken but I'm too jovial to keep up a formal act. Lightheartedness is danker to me than bombastic speech.
>>
>>8065396
How are you this big of a bigot?
>>
>>8064332
Underrated meme
>>
If it's just natural to you, it makes you more interesting as a person.
>>
>>8063795
Of course not, my dear boy. Such reactions stem from a deeply seated insecurity, probably relating to the listeners earliest childhood memories. To paraphrase the great Ludwig Wittgenstein: "The limits of ones language is the limits of ones mind." Now where is that indolent waiter with my half-caff double cream latte?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.