[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need some good old fantasy. and more similar to Tolkien and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1461805870160.gif (2 MB, 1000x512) Image search: [Google]
1461805870160.gif
2 MB, 1000x512
Need some good old fantasy.

and more similar to Tolkien and less like R.R. Martin. Actually, preferably nothing like R.R. Martin.
>>
Eragon
>>
How much Tolkien have you read

If it's just Lord of the Rings you still have The Hobbit (which is the fun fantasy adventure people who haven't read LoTR think LoTR is like) and the Silmarillion (which is where most of the actually interesting stuff about Tolkien comes from, including the so called world building).

Otherwise, I don't think there are many authors like Tolkien. His main draws were being a great storyteller and extremely dedicated worldbuilder (if not a exceptionally good writer strictly speaking), and since both of those came from his very particular education, upbringing and life experiences (a lot of LoTR is directly inspired by his experiences on WWI, e.g the Dead Marshes) it's very hard for that to be repeated.

>>8053120
Eragon literally ripped the plot from the Star Wars wholecloth and changed it slightly to make it fit into a fantasy setting
>>
>>8053156
>2003
>reading for the plot
i'll shiggy if you'll diggy
>>
>>8053114
"The Broken Sword" by Poul Anderson.
>>
>>8053156
Also, since I had a chance to mention the thing about the Dead Marshes, it was specifically based on the aftermath of the Battle of the Somme, which Tolkien was in. It was one of the biggest battles in the whole war, and a lot of LotR's depictions of war and a lot of its themes are based on his experience there.
>>
File: conanintro.jpg (204 KB, 1035x1300) Image search: [Google]
conanintro.jpg
204 KB, 1035x1300
Tolkien loved Robert E. Howard. Read some Conan.
>>
>>8053114
>mythology, good vs. evil, elves and sheeeit
Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
>>
>>8053237
boromir is basically a conan :^)
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.