[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are people good? what books have made you like your fellow human
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: dark edge.jpg (140 KB, 566x459) Image search: [Google]
dark edge.jpg
140 KB, 566x459
are people good?

what books have made you like your fellow human beings more?
>>
Some people are good, some people are bad, most are inbetween
>>
>>8048604
>some people are good

>some people are bad

this is heretical in the extreme

people are made up entirely of the good; but much of that good is perverted to bad. nobody is wholly bad, for then they would be nothing; and nobody was ever perfectly good, except Christ.

What we call bad people, or good people, these are just gradations of good; a "bad man" is in many ways good, a "good man" is in many ways bad.
>>
>>8048619
People are people. Some people are inclined to do things that other people consider 'bad', and vice versa. When it comes to 'good' or 'bad', this is as far as it goes. People can't be 'made up of' good or bad, because all good or bad consist of is the opinions of onlookers. There is no 'goodness' like there is 'redness' or 'largeness'. The sad truth is that 'good' and 'bad' are human constructs, and that whether someone is one of the two is a matter of opinion. This holds true whether or not there is a higher power.
>>
>>8048596
All of them. The sharp stance is deep pity for your fellow travelers
>>
>>8048619
Replacing a spook with a spook. Completely futile.
>>
>>8048619
Sigh.
Christcucks, when will they learn?
>>
>>8048596
There is no such thing as good, goodness is a delusion.
You can not learn to like people more, only to understand and not be upset or irritated at them.
>>
>>8048596
To answer your second question, Vonnegut's books always gave me that feeling. Most people around /lit/ aren't a fan of him and I'd admit he's fairly simplistic, but he was the first author to get me into actual literature, so I've always had a soft spot for him.
He intentionally writes without a villain and often without any real antagonist at all. His characters tend to be people that have been fucked over. Prisoners, mentally crippled veterans, recluses, people in poverty. To get the tone you're looking for I'd read God Bless You Mr. Rosewater and some of his short stories in Welcome to the Monkey House or Look at the Birdie (though I haven't read the short stories recently enough to remember which ones would be best for this).
>>
pretty much every book I read makes me like people more. Reading what another person wrote—even if they're a scowling, angry old cynic—tends to improve your sense of empathy. It's a kind of socializing where you're only a listener.

Maybe others will disagree, but I've never read a book that made me like people less. Unless it was historical nonfiction about war atrocities or something to that effect
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.