[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /lit/ think about text-based forum roleplaying? it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: dd_ct.jpg (37 KB, 300x230) Image search: [Google]
dd_ct.jpg
37 KB, 300x230
what does /lit/ think about text-based forum roleplaying?

it's how a learned to go from describing subjects or objects in one sentence to being able to write at least a paragraph about the thing in question, if necessary. but i can't say it made me a good writer because i never really developed past some of the people who i was writing with.

it also gave me a home, which sounds lame, but if you remember the ezBoard days of the internet, there was no 4chan/youtube/wikipedia. i still hang out with those people but no one really RPs anymore.

is it worse or better than fanfic and where does it stand in relation to solo writing as a whole? should i continue doing it? (i had some of my best times RPing)
>>
>>8039694
I play around with Dnd to explore themes through improvisational story-telling

Write solo in tandem with your RPing and it shouldn't hurt

Just do it with care
>>
It's a very good idea but I doubt you'll find anyone willing to play with you. I did a lot by email back in 2000 but it's dead, now.
>>
>>8039694
>where does it stand in relation to solo writing as a whole?
It is the slam poetry of co-written digital texts. Full of self-indulgence, narcissism, and power fantasies.

It has the same problems as any collaboration in digital spaces, in that it is very difficult to strike the right balance between quality controls and barriers-to-entry.

i.e. Trying to control people too much will drive them away. But failing to control people at all will leave your project vulnerable to idiots and spoilers.

>should i continue doing it? (i had some of my best times RPing)
If you want to. Just remember that even if you were the best forum roleplayer in the world, it would be pointless for anything other than your enjoyment.
>>
>>8039694
>what does /lit/ think about text-based forum roleplayin?
Did it a few times. It was fun. It was some LotR campaign that I remember the most. The others were Lovecraftian or homebrewed. I like roleplaying, but sadly I am not able to play anything tabletop.
>>
>>8039694
i think that you should go to /tg/

no, srs, they actually can help you
>>
>>8040146
They would call him a pleb and mock him as well.
>>
>>8039761
Didn't chinkmoot just make a board for it?
>>
I did quite a bit back in the day. It has its frustrations because there will always be drama queens and egomaniacs, fuckers who ditch midgame and ruin everything, and so on and so forth... but if you don't take it too seriously it can be fun and it's a way to keep your writing hand in I guess. Obviously you'll need to move beyond it at some point if you want to write anything really worthwhile, but as a hobby and a step along the way I think it's fine.
>>
>>8039694
>>>/qst/
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.